Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 23rd, 2013 (02:42 PM).
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Define Incenses in PBS, just one field with incense name, like "Incense=SEAINCENSE" for Marill or Azurill case.

A PBS for berries data and pokémon forms.

This: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310911

Maybe something for listing/searching all the itemballs and hiddenitem in entire maps/game.
Old November 23rd, 2013 (02:57 PM).
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I would like to see the 6th gen abilities and moves added, regardless of whether or not 6th gen pokemon are in essentials or not. The base moves still seem pretty important in my opinion as they can be applied to any pokemon.

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old December 10th, 2013 (01:27 PM).
kadapunny

Not sure if this has been asked but: Maybe a search box/making the editor a tad bit faster?
Also... I have an idea of how maybe making moves/abilities and their effects could work in a program idea. SO
For moves: It's be a sentence basically saying:: "This move, (type in name) is classified as (name, sprite to go along with it) and it has (power) power and (accuracy) accuracy. It is a (type) type that has (priority, set to 0 for regular priority, -1 or more for negative priority) priority, can boost/debuff (choose stat from a pop up box) (by how many levels, add a - for negative levels) for you with a percentage of (percentage) and can boost/debuff (choose stat again) (by how many levels) for the foe with a percentage of (Percent) as well as giving the status, (status, there is a blank status) to (foe, you, both) with a percentage of (%). It may also have misc effects forgotten, listed here (protect ((side effect upon hitting)), breaks protect, makes a ((turn)) boost of a stat ((level)), adds protection against ((status/debuff)), breaks protection against ((status/debuff)), gives a gradual ((stat including hp)) by ((amount)) with the condition of ((weather/nothing/around a certain type foe)))."

For Abilities: Another sentence being:: "This ability, (name) can (damage the foe/status the foe/heal you/give a boost/ give the foe a boost/ makes you attack only ((number)) turns in a row/ makes a certain type immune ((type))/ resistance for a type ((type))/ weakness to a type ((type))) with the percentage of (%) and only int he conditions of (weather ((weather))/ when being hit ((type))/ hitting ((type/just in general)) when near a partner) to the (you/enemy/all enemies/your ally/ all allies)."

Kthxbai!
Old December 22nd, 2013 (07:46 AM).
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

At PBS, besides berries and forms, put also one for the ribbons, and put each sprite in a separate file in a separate folder (like footprints). It's strage that these lastest additions doesn't use PBS files. Put also a mode that you can see the ribbons description at status screen and can scroll ribbons (vital in cases that you have more than 12 ribbons).

at types PBS, put a field for setting status conditions immunities (like Steel is poison immune).

When holding ctrl allows to fly for non-visited cities at debug mode.

Maybe this is irrelevant: Transform the "Set internal flag" to "Toggle internal flag".
Old December 22nd, 2013 (07:56 AM).
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Maybe if it is possible, fix the map warping from the debug menu. I cannot be the only one who cannot stand warping onto a patch of trees and having to re-warp. Perhaps have it check the passage and terrain flag of the tile it is warping you to or something.

Old December 22nd, 2013 (08:14 AM).
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™:
Maybe if it is possible, fix the map warping from the debug menu. I cannot be the only one who cannot stand warping onto a patch of trees and having to re-warp. Perhaps have it check the passage and terrain flag of the tile it is warping you to or something.
I agree that it is annoying that it is random which tile you end up on, but FYI, if you hold down CTRL while walking, you have "walk-through-walls". Basically, you can walk through the trees.
Old December 22nd, 2013 (08:16 AM).
Franzo

Nature: Modest
All RPG Makers allow you to walk on anything while holding down CTRL if you're playing through the editor. There's no need to re-warp.
Old December 22nd, 2013 (08:56 AM).
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

You two have completely blown my mind...

Thanks

Old December 22nd, 2013 (11:56 AM).
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

It tries 100 times to find a walkable tile to transfer you to. If it can't, then it'll choose just any random tile. This isn't a big deal, what with the walk-through-anything skills.
Old December 25th, 2013 (05:02 AM).
tImE

I had an idea for a new feature.
Terrain-tag creator, for the Editor.

Basically, a way to make new, custom, terrain-tags, for things like different kinds of grass or waters.
I'm not especially good at scripting and I've been trying to add a new "Tall Grass"-terrain to use for Flower Patches, like in Pokémon X and Y.

However, noob as I am, I am only able to create the encounter method, but no way to proc it.
In other words, I can't create a "tall grass"-tile which only generates the "flower"-encounter, so to speak.

I think this is a feature lots of people could take advantage of, being able to use more than just the "Tall Grass" and "Very Tall Grass" tiles to generate wild battles.

For example, someone might want to make a shallow water tile where wild battles occur, similar to Tall Grass, or like in my case, flower patches.
Old December 25th, 2013 (09:26 AM).
Maruno

That's simply not feasible. Terrain tags can do a wide variety of things, from make the player slide around to jump over them to have encounters to surf/dive to give the player soot. It's impractical to try to come up with some more automated way of doing it.

There's a terrain tag editor already, where you can give any tile any terrain tag you want. Just pick a number that isn't otherwise used, and then make a script for its effect by mimicking the existing terrain tag effects. As I said, this script could do anything, which means it can't be "templated".
Old December 25th, 2013 (02:53 PM).
tImE

Fair enough. My problem is my inability to properly script, and the fact that I do not know where the terrain tag effect scripts are.
Old January 6th, 2014 (09:35 AM).
Pokemon Trainer Jackey

Nature: Gentle
I know mini-games are a low priority (as they kind of should be considering that other functions are more important), but I think it'd be neat to see an updated edition of the surfing mini-game from Pokemon Yellow. Perhaps with support for people to make additional Pokemon that can use the game fairly easily.
Old February 13th, 2014 (07:03 AM).
venom12
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
I think nice addon would be Pokemon World Tournament known from Pokemon Black 2 and white 2.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 13th, 2014 (07:47 AM).
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Saving Raven and I were talking about the 3rd Gen contests, seems like a trivial feature, but a nice one for players for sure. Contests are a constant feature in the official games, and 3rd Gen contests were the most interesting ones.

That and a World Tournament (as Venom suggested), which could allow players more of a competitive battle scene without having to figure out multi-player battles.

Old March 14th, 2014 (08:11 AM).
Savordez
Life? Interesting, tell me more

I think the only thing the options menu is lacking is a volume slider. I tried to make one but failed miserably. It doesn't need to be something overly complex, just a way to adjust the master volume (BGM, SE etc.).

i really should start learning ruby
Old March 14th, 2014 (01:05 PM).
Ratty524

(Savordez you wouldn't happen to be Gigabowser on RMN, are you? The link to that game gave it away. )

I'm not even sure if I wanted to post in this thread, but... Here it goes.
  1. Is there a way to speed up the scrolling speed of the UI in the Essentials Editor? If so, that would make debugging and doing all the chores you need to do through that editor much LESS tedious. It's especially worse with setting encounters, because for absolutely EVERY field I have to scroll down walls of text to find the Pokemon I want to input.
  2. Joypad support. It is something that is inherent in RMXP but Essentials removed it with its control script for some reason. Adding this back in will make any PC gamer happy.
  3. I think earlier versions of Essentials supported fullscreen options. I would like to see a return to this, because right now hittin alt+f4 barely changes the resolution and makes things look hideous. It doesn't have to be a forced feature, either, just something that can be toggled so that the joes that want to make their DS-styled games can do so.

That is all.
Old March 15th, 2014 (01:42 AM).
Savordez
Life? Interesting, tell me more

Quote originally posted by Ratty524:
(Savordez you wouldn't happen to be Gigabowser on RMN, are you? The link to that game gave it away. )
Yes. I'm going to post a topic here too once I'll be able to make links.

I've already received multiple "♥♥♥♥ you"s from some guys because my game doesn't have a volume slider. lol
Old March 15th, 2014 (09:19 AM).
Maruno

I'm not even sure if I wanted to post in this thread, but... Here it goes.
  1. Is there a way to speed up the scrolling speed of the UI in the Essentials Editor? If so, that would make debugging and doing all the chores you need to do through that editor much LESS tedious. It's especially worse with setting encounters, because for absolutely EVERY field I have to scroll down walls of text to find the Pokemon I want to input.
  2. Joypad support. It is something that is inherent in RMXP but Essentials removed it with its control script for some reason. Adding this back in will make any PC gamer happy.
  3. I think earlier versions of Essentials supported fullscreen options. I would like to see a return to this, because right now hittin alt+f4 barely changes the resolution and makes things look hideous. It doesn't have to be a forced feature, either, just something that can be toggled so that the joes that want to make their DS-styled games can do so.

That is all.
1. Page Up and Page Down are your friends.
2. It wouldn't make me happy. I don't use a joypad.
3. Nah. The large screen size is good enough.
Old March 15th, 2014 (07:05 PM).
Ratty524

Quote originally posted by Maruno:
1. Page Up and Page Down are your friends.
2. It wouldn't make me happy. I don't use a joypad.
3. Nah. The large screen size is good enough.
  1. Duly noted
  2. What about the people that use them? Better yet, if you are introducing an Essentials game to a community who is VERY familiar with RPG Maker, they would call BS on the fact that their joypads don't work with this engine, considering RMXP does by default. Also, dude, I'd TOTALLY understand if there is a specific reason why it's not included in Essentials, especially since Poccil kind of gave this away without revealing all of his secrets, but don't poo-poo it off as something completely petty.
  3. It IS but... Meh. I like not being able to see my desktop as I am playing a game, for immersion reasons. The effect of handhelds don't worry work that well on a computer screen, because at least on a handheld you are only seeing the game you are playing, and not some other programs in the background.
Old March 15th, 2014 (10:26 PM).
KB89

I think that having a script put in that allowed the player to adjust the frame rate would be an AWESOME addition. Pokemon Essentials has this in its options and its a beautiful thing. I still can't find anywhere to get a script for my game.
Old March 16th, 2014 (06:36 AM).
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

1. Duly noted
  2. What about the people that use them? Better yet, if you are introducing an Essentials game to a community who is VERY familiar with RPG Maker, they would call BS on the fact that their joypads don't work with this engine, considering RMXP does by default. Also, dude, I'd TOTALLY understand if there is a specific reason why it's not included in Essentials, especially since Poccil kind of gave this away without revealing all of his secrets, but don't poo-poo it off as something completely petty.
  3. It IS but... Meh. I like not being able to see my desktop as I am playing a game, for immersion reasons. The effect of handhelds don't worry work that well on a computer screen, because at least on a handheld you are only seeing the game you are playing, and not some other programs in the background.
2. I agree

3. Try medium screen size and use Alt+Enter. Since Essentials has no more border, the image get a little misaligned. Besides this, the large size do the job well.

Quote originally posted by KB89:
I think that having a script put in that allowed the player to adjust the frame rate would be an AWESOME addition. Pokemon Essentials has this in its options and its a beautiful thing. I still can't find anywhere to get a script for my game.
This may mess with the game flow, so I prefer to this feature remains as an add-on.
Old March 22nd, 2014 (02:18 AM).
39Gamer

Nature: Bold
trainer animations through .gifs or .png sequence

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 22nd, 2014 (06:21 PM).
joeyhugg

Quote originally posted by 39Gamer:
trainer animations through .gifs or .png sequence
As unfortunate as it is, RMXP doesn't support Gifs. They would have to be a png.
Old March 24th, 2014 (06:24 AM). Edited March 24th, 2014 by Luka S.J..
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

Nature: Adamant
Quote originally posted by joeyhugg:
As unfortunate as it is, RMXP doesn't support Gifs. They would have to be a png.
I had working/animating trainer GIFs in Blue Chrome. See? It's definitely doable.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links