Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials
Reload this Page Bug & Error Reporting for Essentials Version 15.1 (unmodified)

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Old August 18th, 2012 (06:39 PM). Edited August 18th, 2012 by FL.
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote originally posted by Maruno:
Do you use it on the Pokémon, or just use it like the Coin Case and all appropriate Shaymin will change? I presume you can use it on multiple Shaymin at once.
You use it on the Pokémon. I checked in a video. There is also a short gracidea animation.

Quote originally posted by Bladethorn:
I'm not sure if this is a bug... I'm new to using Pokemon Essentials, but I find that in the Outdoor tileset, towards the bottom the buildings and other graphics get mushed together, making it impossible to get a full building. When I tried to use an un-broken building the only graphic that appeared was a single square with a dot of color and a white background.
If I'm doing something wrong could someone let me know, please? Thanks!
It is a RPG Maker XP question. You need to use different layers (F5/F6/F7).
Old August 19th, 2012 (04:55 AM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote originally posted by FL .:
You use it on the Pokémon. I checked in a video. There is also a short gracidea animation.
Okay. The Gracidea now works in the following way:

It has no effect if used at night, or on a Pokémon which isn't a Shaymin Land Forme, or on a fainted or frozen Pokémon. The Shaymin's Forme changes (without an animation). Skymin reverts back when it becomes night, or when the Skymin becomes frozen or fainted. A Shaymin will never automatically turn back into a Skymin, so the Gracidea must be used on it again.
Old August 20th, 2012 (08:38 PM).
Pokémon Agate Version

Nature: Modest
I'm having problems whenever I exit the Pokemon Center in my game. I copied the format from the essentials map, and changed the location to correspond with my map. So I'm not sure what could be going wrong, if this is even a bug or just me being horribly inexperienced.

Anyways I get this message whenever I exit the Pokemon Center.

Spoiler:
Exception: SystemStackError
Game_Character_2:29:in `update_old2'
Walk_Run:92:in `update'
Game_Event_:249:in `update'
Game_Map:336:in `update'
Game_Map:334:in `each'
Game_Map:334:in `update'
Scene_Map:37:in `updateMaps'
Scene_Map:36:in `each'
Scene_Map:36:in `updateMaps'
Scene_Map:84:in `miniupdate'

When I exit it, the animation works fine, and everything seems to be fine, but then my character doesn't show up and the game crashes. I'm sure it's something simple, but if you could help me out that would be great!
Old August 21st, 2012 (07:14 AM).
--------------------

Quote originally posted by Narodin:
I'm having problems whenever I exit the Pokemon Center in my game. I copied the format from the essentials map, and changed the location to correspond with my map. So I'm not sure what could be going wrong, if this is even a bug or just me being horribly inexperienced.

Anyways I get this message whenever I exit the Pokemon Center.

Spoiler:
Exception: SystemStackError
Game_Character_2:29:in `update_old2'
Walk_Run:92:in `update'
Game_Event_:249:in `update'
Game_Map:336:in `update'
Game_Map:334:in `each'
Game_Map:334:in `update'
Scene_Map:37:in `updateMaps'
Scene_Map:36:in `each'
Scene_Map:36:in `updateMaps'
Scene_Map:84:in `miniupdate'

When I exit it, the animation works fine, and everything seems to be fine, but then my character doesn't show up and the game crashes. I'm sure it's something simple, but if you could help me out that would be great!

I've seen multiple replies on this being about movements...

You may have a character movement, being blocked... Check your events.

If this isn't the problem then I don't know what is.
Old August 21st, 2012 (07:43 AM). Edited August 21st, 2012 by AmethystRain.
Crystaline

I had an error like that as well. Although I don't know why, or how to fix it, I got around it just by changing the location that the player is teleported to. Strange, though.

Edit: Also strange. I only just now updated to v9, and tried it. Whenever I run in-game, the player sprite does not change to boy_run, but boy_surf instead
Haven't checked if girl character is the same way, that save file is on my other computer
But
Am I the only one this is happening to?
Old August 21st, 2012 (08:45 AM).

Quote originally posted by AmethystRain:
Edit: Also strange. I only just now updated to v9, and tried it. Whenever I run in-game, the player sprite does not change to boy_run, but boy_surf instead
Haven't checked if girl character is the same way, that save file is on my other computer
But
Am I the only one this is happening to?
You've used your old metadata.txt (which means this isn't a question about the unmodified version, ahem), which still has a blank entry in the PlayerA lines. I removed that entry in v9. Simple solution: delete one comma of the double commas in each PlayerA line, and recompile.
Old August 21st, 2012 (08:47 AM).
Pokémon Agate Version

Nature: Modest
I fixed the problem by teleporting the player below the event to get in the Pokemon Center. And then I did set move route and moved the player one step down.
Old August 21st, 2012 (08:43 PM).
Crystaline

About the same as what I did too, Narodin. Glad it worked. c:

And aha... yeah, sorry. ; I just updated the way I usually do. :/ Thanks though!
Old August 22nd, 2012 (01:09 AM).
- Lonely Shooting Star -

Nature: Lonely
I wonder if there are any limit or sensitive points in animations data that Pokemon Essential can't stand because I've got this error while trying to compile an Animation data like this one, an error pops out and when I replaced the original animation data file, it disappeared.

And here's the error:

Spoiler:

Exception: NoMethodError

PBAnimation:336:in `pbConvertRPGAnimation'

Compiler:3999:in `pbCompileAnimations'

Compiler:3987:in `each'

Compiler:3987:in `pbCompileAnimations'

Compiler:4074:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4170

Thanks.

Old August 22nd, 2012 (04:44 AM).

Quote originally posted by Ramond Hikari:
I wonder if there are any limit or sensitive points in animations data that Pokemon Essential can't stand because I've got this error while trying to compile an Animation data like this one, an error pops out and when I replaced the original animation data file, it disappeared.

And here's the error:

Spoiler:

Exception: NoMethodError

PBAnimation:336:in `pbConvertRPGAnimation'

Compiler:3999:in `pbCompileAnimations'

Compiler:3987:in `each'

Compiler:3987:in `pbCompileAnimations'

Compiler:4074:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4170

Thanks.
I've seen people throwing that error around previously, but I don't know why it happens. It seems to be related to an animation's effects (sound/flashes) when created in the Database animation editor, but I have no idea why it would muck up in the way the error message implies. I've never had that error myself.

Why not create your animations directly in the Essentials Animation Editor instead?
Old August 22nd, 2012 (10:01 AM).
Crystaline

Opponent's pokemon faints. Prompted to switch?
If you send in a Pokemon with Intimidate, the opponent has not yet sent out their Pokemon, therefore Intimidate does not activate as it should.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (01:09 AM).
- Lonely Shooting Star -

Nature: Lonely
Okay, I think I have found the error. It only happens when I try to compile zingzags's animation data of pokemon's emotion in the Pokemon following script! And when I delete those animations, the problem disappear!

That'll explain why there are several people got this problem because now more and more developers are interested by Pokemon follow character script!

Oh, by the way, do you think the problem can be solved by editing it in PE Animation Editor?

Old August 23rd, 2012 (05:43 AM).
Egg: It's going to hatch soon!

Nature: Lax
I found that there are two events in the Intro map:
-the regular one, on the top-left; (in Autorun)
-another one on the bottom-left which does nothing and it's just a piece of the regular one. (with Action button)

It does basically nothing, but i believed at first that it was the right one so i was raging after one hour of trying to move the player location from the test map 2 to my new map. xD

Just delete it.

Old August 23rd, 2012 (06:32 AM).
Crystaline

A Pokemon holding a Chesto Berry KO's a Pokemon with Effect Spore. Effect Spore puts the Chesto'd Pokemon to sleep as it dies. Player is prompted to switch. If they choose to do so, Chesto will not activate.

A poisoned Pokemon with Poison Heal displays the recovered health message even at full health
Old August 23rd, 2012 (08:04 AM).

Opponent's pokemon faints. Prompted to switch?
If you send in a Pokemon with Intimidate, the opponent has not yet sent out their Pokemon, therefore Intimidate does not activate as it should.
I feared as much. All those effects need to be made to work the same as Trace/Imposter, which is easy enough, even though it does clutter things up a bit.

Quote originally posted by TheMrQuit:
I found that there are two events in the Intro map:
-the regular one, on the top-left; (in Autorun)
-another one on the bottom-left which does nothing and it's just a piece of the regular one. (with Action button)

It does basically nothing, but i believed at first that it was the right one so i was raging after one hour of trying to move the player location from the test map 2 to my new map. xD

Just delete it.
That's the single most useful debug function there is: it allows the bypassing of Oak's lecture. I'm amazed someone actually didn't realise which event was which.

A Pokemon holding a Chesto Berry KO's a Pokemon with Effect Spore. Effect Spore puts the Chesto'd Pokemon to sleep as it dies. Player is prompted to switch. If they choose to do so, Chesto will not activate.

A poisoned Pokemon with Poison Heal displays the recovered health message even at full health
Can you check a fix for me? In the Chesto Berry's code in def pbBerryCureCheck, change the while to an if. Also turn the status into self.status. From what I can tell, it should work fine anyway - those code tweaks are just me making sure. The same applies to the similar berries.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (08:20 AM).
JourneyofPossibilities Creator

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by iLakerz:
I'm not gaining any EXP when I'm using this version.... Is there anyway to fix this?
Has this been fixed yet? I have it too but couldn't find an answer when searching through the thread.
The blog is the place for where I update in more blog form about those topics and my personal life as well.
~~~
Others
Game Guides on Hubpages, DeviantART, Wattpad (Stories)
Old August 23rd, 2012 (11:58 PM).

Whenever I try and run the program, it always comes up with an error saying game.rxproj has an incorrect path

Dragonite Through the Generations!
Old August 24th, 2012 (02:03 AM).
MOM GET THE CAMERA

Quote originally posted by Prof Oakley:
Has this been fixed yet? I have it too but couldn't find an answer when searching through the thread.
Use the pokemon.txt provided in Essentials v9. I had the same problem but using the file of Essentials v9 fixed this problem.
Old August 24th, 2012 (10:41 AM).
Crystaline

Can you check a fix for me? In the Chesto Berry's code in def pbBerryCureCheck, change the while to an if. Also turn the status into self.status. From what I can tell, it should work fine anyway - those code tweaks are just me making sure. The same applies to the similar berries.
Check something that has a 10% chance of activation? :3
Flame Wheel ALL the Amoonguss!
Countless re-battles against a guy with six mushrooms later:

It works! Chesto now cures sleep before the EXP message displays. It actually finally activated for me on the last mushroom of the battle, so I didn't see the shift message, but since it did display pre-EXP and that comes before Shift, I'm fairly certain it's fine~
Old August 24th, 2012 (12:46 PM).

Check something that has a 10% chance of activation? :3
Flame Wheel ALL the Amoonguss!
Countless re-battles against a guy with six mushrooms later:

It works! Chesto now cures sleep before the EXP message displays. It actually finally activated for me on the last mushroom of the battle, so I didn't see the shift message, but since it did display pre-EXP and that comes before Shift, I'm fairly certain it's fine~
Good stuff. Yes, Essentials does make the status problem heal immediately after inflicting it, which I can only assume is how it's supposed to work. Thanks!
Old August 25th, 2012 (12:20 PM).
Pokémon Island Creator

I don't know if you consider this as a bug, but in official games, before you get the National Dex, the pokémon species number in summary screen is from the Regional Dex or "???"/blank if the pokémon isn't in Regional Dex. Essentials always shows the National Dex number.
Old August 25th, 2012 (01:48 PM).

Quote originally posted by FL .:
I don't know if you consider this as a bug, but in official games, before you get the National Dex, the pokémon species number in summary screen is from the Regional Dex or "???"/blank if the pokémon isn't in Regional Dex. Essentials always shows the National Dex number.
It's easy in the official games because there's exactly one Regional Dex, and you can't get Pokémon from outside it until gaining the National Dex. However, fan-games can be quite different, which makes a feature like this difficult to implement. It can work iff ("if and only if") the first Regional Dex is used until obtaining the National Dex, but it's easy to make a game where that isn't the case.

There's also the fact that Regional Dexes don't correspond to regions, so using a Regional number based on the map the Pokémon was obtained in can't be done.

One possible option would be to remove that information from the Summary screen, but then there'd be a gap. Another option would be to list the numbers in all unlocked Dexes (e.g. as 025/022/???) while there's no National Dex, but that depends on a very limited number of available Regional Dexes pre-ND.

Of course, there's no issue while there's no or just one Regional Dex.

If you can think up a decent solution, I'll hear it. And please don't spout out "make a Setting for it", because that's your answer to everything. Such a minor feature doesn't need a Setting; it just needs to work.
Old August 25th, 2012 (06:24 PM).
Pokémon Island Creator

It's easy in the official games because there's exactly one Regional Dex, and you can't get Pokémon from outside it until gaining the National Dex. However, fan-games can be quite different, which makes a feature like this difficult to implement. It can work iff ("if and only if") the first Regional Dex is used until obtaining the National Dex, but it's easy to make a game where that isn't the case.

There's also the fact that Regional Dexes don't correspond to regions, so using a Regional number based on the map the Pokémon was obtained in can't be done.

One possible option would be to remove that information from the Summary screen, but then there'd be a gap. Another option would be to list the numbers in all unlocked Dexes (e.g. as 025/022/???) while there's no National Dex, but that depends on a very limited number of available Regional Dexes pre-ND.

Of course, there's no issue while there's no or just one Regional Dex.

If you can think up a decent solution, I'll hear it. And please don't spout out "make a Setting for it", because that's your answer to everything. Such a minor feature doesn't need a Setting; it just needs to work.
The best solution that I can think is to use the last Regional Dex unlocked number (or ???). This is better than leaves the space empty or to shows the National Dex number before picking the National Dex.

I thought on the last dex open, but isn't good because in Essentials you don't switch between the regional modes, instead you choose from a list every time that you open the pokédex (that may be a little impractical in some cases). Maybe you can made a SETTING about this other feature =D. Yes, I agree than some minor features don't need a setting, even because if you put a setting on everything the developer can get lost in too many setting, especially on obscure features. If a developer wish to change minor things, let him to change by himself.

I believe than the most people that uses a Regional Dex uses only one.
Old August 28th, 2012 (06:59 AM).
Crystaline

Lumineon used Water Pulse
Trubbish was confused
Trubbish hurt itself in its confusion
((a few turns later))
Trubbish is already confused
Trubbish snapped out of confusion
Trubbish used blahblahblahwhatever

I have a feeling this isn't limited to Water Pulse. o.o
Old August 28th, 2012 (07:38 AM).

Trubbish was confused
Trubbish hurt itself in its confusion
((a few turns later))
Trubbish is already confused
Trubbish snapped out of confusion
Trubbish used blahblahblahwhatever

I have a feeling this isn't limited to Water Pulse. o.o
Are you saying that the "is already confused" message shouldn't show up at all when the confusion-inducing is just an additional effect of the move (i.e. rather than the whole point of the move)?

If so, fair enough.

Sponsored Links