Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials
Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 7th, 2012, 05:22 AM
~JV~
Dev of Pokémon Uranium

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to ~JV~

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
I've spotted an incongruity.

The fact that you haven't even posted your trainers.txt doesn't help. I can only say that I've edited these files directly myself, and I don't have a problem, so you must be doing something wrong.
Sorry, I missed the "unmodified". Well I found by luck what it was yesterday so I'm posting it here just for the sake of reporting it. It looks like the .txt was corrupted and couldn't be read by the engine whenever I edited it directly. Copying all the content into a fresh .txt worked as a miracle so it wasn't my fault either.
Sig in maintenance!
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:55 AM
AmethystRain
Crystaline

Had an opponent use Disable on me, and it ended after a single turn.
Quote:
Swoobat used Heart Stamp! Muk used Disable. Swoobat's Heart Stamp is disabled!
Swoobat used Calm Mind. Muk used Sludge Bomb. Swoobat is disabled no more!
Quote:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Disable_%28move%29
Generation III

Same as before, but Disable lasts 4-7 turns.
Confirmed the following for Petal Dance, so I expect Outrage and Thrash are the same.
Quote:
Meganium used Petal Dance! Opponent is KO'd!

Trainer is about to send in _____. Would you like to switch?
Normally, the user cannot switch Pokemon when locked into a move like that, even by the Shift method. I'm afraid Bulbapedia only says this:
Quote:
Once selected, even if it misses, the user will only be able to use Petal Dance, and will not be able to switch out.
I do know from the competitive scene however. I realise anecdotal evidence is not preferable, but it's actually a rather critical competitive element- sacrificing one Pokemon if they use Outrage so you can bring in a steel type for a safe set up, and being that they're locked into the move, there's not much they can do...

But bleh.
Nitpicks.
With Love, Your Shadow~
Proud owner of Reborn and spearhead of the Pokemon Reborn game~
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Both of those have been fixed for v10.
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Not sure if this is just me but around 11PM (at night) the outdoor tint turned into a daytime shade, I also tried a clean version of essentials just to make sure and the same thing happened.
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:30 PM
AmethystRain
Crystaline

As an addition to the above post, I've noticed the same thing happening on one of my two computers as well, but not the other. It will sometimes rapidly move through the stages of night/day to a brightness that it very certainly should not be. I attributed this (perhaps falsely), however, to my having switched this computer's clock in order to test something in the game. Any chance you did the same thing, hanseic?
With Love, Your Shadow~
Proud owner of Reborn and spearhead of the Pokemon Reborn game~
Old October 20th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Maruno

That's probably due to the time-of-year modifications to the shading (which make it get darker earlier in winter, etc.), resulting in strangeness around midnight. I don't think that modification is needed at all, and if no one objects, I'll remove it and have constant day length.
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:26 AM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
Quote:
That's probably due to the time-of-year modifications to the shading (which make it get darker earlier in winter, etc.), resulting in strangeness around midnight. I don't think that modification is needed at all, and if no one objects, I'll remove it and have constant day length.
What about possible having DST settings like Gold/Silver had, where the shades are constant, but you can have DST be on or off an then the shading is just on hour of difference, or something like that?

Old October 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Maruno

Essentials takes the computer's time, which does DST by itself.

If you're talking about making the days longer or shorter (by fixed amounts) depending on the date, we could either have it apply during set months, or do that 1-month-per-season nonsense that Gen 5 does. I don't really care for that feature, so perhaps I'll leave it as an exercise for those who want it.

Having said that, Deerling/Sawsbuck currently operate on the 1-month-per-season idea. Well, they would if they were in Essentials. It's not a good enough argument for seasons.
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:30 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Essentials takes the computer's time, which does DST by itself.

If you're talking about making the days longer or shorter (by fixed amounts) depending on the date, we could either have it apply during set months, or do that 1-month-per-season nonsense that Gen 5 does. I don't really care for that feature, so perhaps I'll leave it as an exercise for those who want it.

Having said that, Deerling/Sawsbuck currently operate on the 1-month-per-season idea. Well, they would if they were in Essentials. It's not a good enough argument for seasons.
Essentials already has it (the first idea, not the season one), isn't?

I reported this bug on wikia and Maruno fixed on v9, this occurs because realNextHour-realHour, so when 0-23 the system goes crazy.
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:58 AM
Maruno

I've just tested it in the bleeding-edge version of Essentials, and despite my tweaks to it, it still becomes light around 11:30pm. I don't know if I can actually fix it, so the next best option is to remove the feature altogether.
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:24 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
I've just tested it in the bleeding-edge version of Essentials, and despite my tweaks to it, it still becomes light around 11:30pm. I don't know if I can actually fix it, so the next best option is to remove the feature altogether.
My fix (look at wikia page) is working here.

EDIT: Mud-Sport, Revenge, Low Kick and Rock Slide (the ones that I noticed so far) descriptions are too big for the windows.

Last edited by FL; October 21st, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:31 AM
MaTe9usz6
Unhatched Egg

The Timer function in RPG Maker doesn't works on Essentials v9, the Timer is displaying, but it isn't running. However in Essentials v8 Timer works in the same event.

Somebody can help me with that?
Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:16 PM
IceGod64
My imagination.

This video is from v9, but I've tested it in v10, and it still happens:

Old October 22nd, 2012, 04:07 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTe9usz6 View Post
The Timer function in RPG Maker doesn't works on Essentials v9, the Timer is displaying, but it isn't running. However in Essentials v8 Timer works in the same event.

Somebody can help me with that?
It works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
This video is from v9, but I've tested it in v10, and it still happens:

You could've just said that the Escape Rope is consumed even if it can't be used.

PokemonItemEffects, line 61, add the red part:

Code:
ItemHandlers::UseFromBag.add(:ESCAPEROPE,proc{|item|
   if $game_player.pbHasDependentEvents?
     Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("It can't be used when you have someone with you."))
     next 0
   end
   if ($PokemonGlobal.escapePoint rescue false) && $PokemonGlobal.escapePoint.length>0
     next 4 # End screen and consume item
   else
     Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Can't use that here."))
     next 0
   end
})
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
DarkGrey

Battle Tower seems much improved at first glance(as it now returns your pokemon it borrowed yay), but "Rest" still glitches. You are allowed to rest, then it saves your game. But upon restarting the save and returning, the game crashes. Restarting again after that takes you back to the game where the NPC tells you you didn't save and you can't continue where you left off (the point of the "Rest" option).

Also, the banlist seems off. Or at least unfaithful to the source game. Garchomp was banned. I tested Gachomp, Gengar, and Suicune to see what was allowed. Clarification on this would be appreciated.

This was just testing lvl 50 Battle Tower. I'll test the rest of the frontier maps this week more thoroughly.

I'd also like to make more Battle Tower movesets for pokemon if your willing to take submissions. I'd keep it in the same format so that all you'd have to do for the next release is copy/paste.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:42 PM
IceGod64
My imagination.

1: You can't catch a trainer's Shadow Pokemon. They block my Pokéball every time.
2: In the cave by Cedolan City ore whatever it's called, if you put a strength boulder on the switch, the trainer still says it isn't on it.
3: Best explained by this image. Happened trying to get off the bicycle.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 03:28 AM
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

Nature: Adamant
Another thing would be that if the trainer types there name, and it has an empty value(The memory where the name is suppose to be stored) it will use an empty value. I guess adding another argument to it, and also another argument to Kernel.pbFreeText to make it so the player has to input a value.
Pokemon Serenity is my fangame name.
name decided 12/15/09
Currently helping:
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old October 23rd, 2012, 05:13 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGrey View Post
Battle Tower seems much improved at first glance(as it now returns your pokemon it borrowed yay), but "Rest" still glitches. You are allowed to rest, then it saves your game. But upon restarting the save and returning, the game crashes. Restarting again after that takes you back to the game where the NPC tells you you didn't save and you can't continue where you left off (the point of the "Rest" option).

Also, the banlist seems off. Or at least unfaithful to the source game. Garchomp was banned. I tested Gachomp, Gengar, and Suicune to see what was allowed. Clarification on this would be appreciated.

This was just testing lvl 50 Battle Tower. I'll test the rest of the frontier maps this week more thoroughly.

I'd also like to make more Battle Tower movesets for pokemon if your willing to take submissions. I'd keep it in the same format so that all you'd have to do for the next release is copy/paste.
This is the first I've heard of these problems (i.e. no one mentioned them before). I don't care for the Battle Frontier myself, so I don't really look at it. I rely on people reporting problems.

If you want to update any of the PBS files, go right ahead. They only include Gens 1-3 Pokémon/moves after all, and could do with improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
1: You can't catch a trainer's Shadow Pokemon. They block my Pokéball every time.
2: In the cave by Cedolan City ore whatever it's called, if you put a strength boulder on the switch, the trainer still says it isn't on it.
3: Best explained by this image. Happened trying to get off the bicycle.
1. Are you using a Snag Ball and/or have $PokemonGlobal.snagMachine=true? The fact that the target Pokémon is a Shadow Pokémon is irrelevant.
2. The wrong event's Self Switch is toggled by the checking event. A simple fix. It works otherwise.
3. If you're going to enter the Cycle Road with a dependent event, that's your fault. Any sensible person wouldn't allow that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingzags View Post
Another thing would be that if the trainer types there name, and it has an empty value(The memory where the name is suppose to be stored) it will use an empty value. I guess adding another argument to it, and also another argument to Kernel.pbFreeText to make it so the player has to input a value.
I'll have a look at modifying that.
Old October 24th, 2012, 04:25 PM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Let's me try again: Did you tested my fix?
Old October 24th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
Let's me try again: Did you tested my fix?
I applied your fix using superficially different code (i.e. it was functionally identical, but a bit neater) back in v9, but it didn't work. I'm sure it did the same thing.

Anyway, I've removed the whole thing from v10. All days are identical now.
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:59 PM
LenSho

Nature: Modest
I suppose this discussion belongs in here, rather than the thread above.

I somehow figured out what the problem was when I was trying to use Dive... it was very random ._.

It was this autotile's fault

Whenever I touched the area in red the game crashed:
Spoiler:

I just had to use a normal tileset and now it works fine. I tried the same in v9.0 and it worked too.

And I think I found another glitch. When you tell Brendan to stop following you, he disappears.
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Maruno

Very odd. As I said, it doesn't happen to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenSho View Post
And I think I found another glitch. When you tell Brendan to stop following you, he disappears.
That's what dependent events do. You'll need to think up some commands to put in its common event which replace the temporary dependent event with a real one.
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:11 AM
DarkGrey

Outrage doesn't work right. When the move ends, the opponent gets a free turn, and you won't be confused. I think it only happens when you KO the opponent's pokemon with the move. They switch in their poke and get a free attack.

And it might be related, but when I ended my outrage, the opponent switched in a new pokemon (theirs fainted from my Outrage attack), got a free turn and used Roar, switching me out. I switched right back in and couldn't use the Outrage anymore.

Battle Tower Testing

1. The Battle Factory doesn't work. When the game goes to generate your pokemon, it gives this error:

Quote:
Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Script error within event 1, map 63 (Battle Factory intro corridor):

Exception: NoMethodError

Message: (eval)in `pbExecuteScript'undefined method `pbPrepareRentals' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:

pbBattleChallenge.extra.pbPrepareRentals

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1599:in `eval'

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1599:in `command_355'

Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

Interpreter:276:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1599:in `command_355'

Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

Scene_Map:114:in `update'

Scene_Map:68:in `main'
2. The Battle Arena doesn't work as the games do. Rather than ending after 3 rounds and going to a judge, battles go on until a pokemon is KOd like a regular battle. However, you can't switch out, and you don't chose your next pokemon (it automatically picks the next in line to go out), so maybe it is working as intended.

3. Battle Tower seems to be working fine. Same with Battle Palace.

4. Generating New Teams option never seems to get past Simulating battle 1.I've had it crash and give an error message and I've had it just stay on that screen for 5 minutes before I gave up on it. Not even sure what it does at this point. It seems to just be a debugging feature, so I'm not too concerned about it

Last edited by DarkGrey; October 25th, 2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old October 26th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Outrage doesn't work right. When the move ends, the opponent gets a free turn, and you won't be confused. I think it only happens when you KO the opponent's pokemon with the move. They switch in their poke and get a free attack.

And it might be related, but when I ended my outrage, the opponent switched in a new pokemon (theirs fainted from my Outrage attack), got a free turn and used Roar, switching me out. I switched right back in and couldn't use the Outrage anymore.
A simple coding error. I missed out a few @battle. from class PokeBattle_Move_0D2 (three in total). They go before pbRandom, pbCommonAnimation and pbDisplay.

Quote:
Battle Tower Testing

1. The Battle Factory doesn't work. When the game goes to generate your pokemon, it gives this error:

2. The Battle Arena doesn't work as the games do. Rather than ending after 3 rounds and going to a judge, battles go on until a pokemon is KOd like a regular battle. However, you can't switch out, and you don't chose your next pokemon (it automatically picks the next in line to go out), so maybe it is working as intended.

3. Battle Tower seems to be working fine. Same with Battle Palace.

4. Generating New Teams option never seems to get past Simulating battle 1.I've had it crash and give an error message and I've had it just stay on that screen for 5 minutes before I gave up on it. Not even sure what it does at this point. It seems to just be a debugging feature, so I'm not too concerned about it
1. It's never worked. Someone more interested than me needs to figure out a solution.

2. I don't know what was intended, because it was like that before I got it (at least, I haven't knowingly changed it). Again, someone with interest and knowledge of the Battle Frontier (I have none) needs to look at it.

4. That option appears in Debug mode only, as you say. As far as I can tell, it's literally pointless, as the information it tries to generate isn't saved or used anywhere. Looks like yet another unfinished feature.
Old October 27th, 2012, 10:05 AM
IceGod64
My imagination.

I found another bug here:
I deposited all my Pokemon except Espeon into the PC, and went into the ice cave and saw a Snorunt. I caught it, and it never appeared. Anywhere. It wasn't in my party, nor in the PC.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here