Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Clubs
Reload this Page ☣ Toxic ☣ - The Poison Type Fanclub

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old November 5th, 2012 (07:00 AM).
ArcanaFlaera
Guard of the Generation

Nature: Relaxed
Name: ArcanaFlaera
Parter Pokemon: Layla the Nidoqueen
Reason for joining: I've been a fan of poison types when using them, but I always find myself annoyed fighting against them. But I always try to add one to my team whenever I have the chance, usually one of the Nidos or Venonat.
White 2 FC : 4299 0937 8549
Old November 6th, 2012 (06:09 PM).
Squirrel
Momentai :D
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
The answers so far have been really interesting! I'm running short on time at the moment so can't dissect them like I intended to, but I really never saw Arbok as a loyal Pokémon... That's a pretty interesting take on it tbh, certainly not one I would've thought of haha. And the post about Muk... omg I got so sentimental xD I'm so happy to find out I'm not the only one that takes the "Pokémon don't dislike people, only people dislike Pokémon" approach, it's what made me love Muk and Garbodor too. Plus you're right about in the anime how friendly and amazing Ash's Muk is, it made me fall in love with the Pokémon instantly too! And the part about Poison types being able to control their toxicity was certainly very interesting, that's something I'd like to talk about in more detail soon once this topic's finished with. :) And Crobat is just plain awesome haha, it's like a flying pink dart of death!

Quote originally posted by CourageHound:
EDIT: Since I basically slammed my entire idea of my event submission in that one post I'll draw something instead
It was really impressive and your reasoning was great so I don't mind counting it for the contest if you want it to be your entry. x]

Quote originally posted by ArcanaFlaera:
Name: ArcanaFlaera
Parter Pokemon: Layla the Nidoqueen
Reason for joining: I've been a fan of poison types when using them, but I always find myself annoyed fighting against them. But I always try to add one to my team whenever I have the chance, usually one of the Nidos or Venonat.
Hi Arcana, welcome to the club! :D May I ask why you chose Nidoqueen as your partner? And what made you love the Nidos and Venonat so much? I'm glad to see you're a Poison type lover too, we're a pretty small bunch but a loyal one at that! Make sure to ask if you have any questions and enjoy your stay. :)
Old November 6th, 2012 (06:34 PM). Edited November 6th, 2012 by CourageHound.
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Lonely
Quote originally posted by AlexOzzyCake:
It was really impressive and your reasoning was great so I don't mind counting it for the contest if you want it to be your entry. x]

xD That would be cool. But hold up a bit cause I just might a short story(inspiration) for the fun of it, for my entry instead. But I'll let you know otherwise. If only there was more time in the day...
Old November 9th, 2012 (09:53 AM).
ArcanaFlaera
Guard of the Generation

Nature: Relaxed
Well, I chose Nidoqueen because it was the first poison type I ever used. I adored her and she helped me out a bunch when I was in a tight spot.

As for loving the Nidos so much. I blame Gary Oak. I loved his Nidoqueen, and all the episodes that have either one of the Nido family, it just brings a smile to my face.
For Venonat, I loved Tracy's Venonat. I thought it was adorable, and I could just stare into its eyes. I always have to hold myself back from squealing when I see them in my game or I the anime. I was thoroughly disappointed when Roxie didn't use Venonat or Venomoth.
White 2 FC : 4299 0937 8549
Old November 12th, 2012 (06:26 PM).
CourageHound

Hey Alex, I in fact would like my post from before to count as my entry
Old November 17th, 2012 (04:13 PM).
Squirrel
Community Supporter

Sorry about the absence guys, but I have Wi-Fi back now so here I am!

Well, I chose Nidoqueen because it was the first poison type I ever used. I adored her and she helped me out a bunch when I was in a tight spot.
*sits down with cocoa* Story time, story time! Tell us what happened? :D

As for loving the Nidos so much. I blame Gary Oak. I loved his Nidoqueen, and all the episodes that have either one of the Nido family, it just brings a smile to my face.
For Venonat, I loved Tracy's Venonat. I thought it was adorable, and I could just stare into its eyes. I always have to hold myself back from squealing when I see them in my game or I the anime. I was thoroughly disappointed when Roxie didn't use Venonat or Venomoth.
Oo, so most of your love of Poison types comes from the anime? I find that pretty interesting since usually Poison types (unfortunately) seem to be portrayed pretty badly (evil, not shoddy) in the anime so it gives them a pretty negative connotation throughout the rest of the franchise... Although maybe it's just me thinking that haha. Although Venonat certainly is a cutie so I agree with you there <3

Hey Alex, I in fact would like my post from before to count as my entry
Sure, fine by me. :)

Reminder: Please post your contest entries soon either in this thread or via PM to me. :)
Old November 26th, 2012 (06:57 PM).
CourageHound

Hmm...thinking some more on the topic, frequently my favorite pokemon/partner fluctuates depending on my mood at the time, seing as my list of favorite pokemon isn't concrete seing I love the other pokemon on the list almost as much. However Muk always sooner or later comes back on top due to the aforementioned reasons, and cuz of loyalty I suppose.

Hey Alex you said you had an answer for the topic right? :D I wanna here it!
Old November 27th, 2012 (04:43 PM).
Squirrel
Community Supporter

Hmm...thinking some more on the topic, frequently my favorite pokemon/partner fluctuates depending on my mood at the time, seing as my list of favorite pokemon isn't concrete seing I love the other pokemon on the list almost as much. However Muk always sooner or later comes back on top due to the aforementioned reasons, and cuz of loyalty I suppose.

Hey Alex you said you had an answer for the topic right? :D I wanna here it!
Oh whoops, my bad! I knew there's something I'd forgotten haha. Okay, well in case you hadn't already guessed my favourite Poison type is Grimer! It's an adorable pile of sludge that's just so freaking cute I want to hug it all day long ;; It in itself is a very unique Pokémon, especially design wise, mostly because it doesn't actually have a set body structure and I find this very interesting indeed. The ability to change it's shape and structure how and whenever it wants is truly fascinating because it creates endless possibilities of how Grimer and Muk can use their attacks and provides countless routes of defence for either dodging attacks or building up their bulk to endure a strong hit. This, alongside the fact that they're essentially the living essence of poison (come on, how cool is it to be made entirely of poison?), makes them stand well above any other Poison type Pokémon in my books simply because the whole concept that they were created from is inspiring. Grimer's characteristics would allow it to become such a versatile fighter be it towering up attacking from up high or forming a large area of ground for them to cover whilst spewing their attacks in all directions, and this doesn't even take into account how strong the Pokémon is. Grimer itself isn't all that strong, but once it evolves into Muk it's just a huge badass pile of poison ready to destroy anything in its path. It can use its own body to create mountainous bombs of toxic goo to hurl at the enemy before letting out a lightning bolt or two and ending with a brutal punch, all the while being minimized to increase evasion and enduring hit after hit after hit with its impressive bulk. All in all, I just think they're a truly incredible family of Pokémon and that's why I happily call them my favourites of all the Poison types - the only reason I chose Grimer over Muk is the adorableness factor n.n

There is one thing I've always wondered though; how can these Pokémon actually use so many attacks? Pokémon like Muk, Swalot, Garbodor, etc, they're able to learn attacks such as Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, but I'm wondering how this is possible - what is it about being a creature of poison and toxicity that enables these powers? Anyway, just something to think about haha.

Anyway, I think it's about time we had some fan art in here, make the place seem more colourful <3

Post your favourite pieces of Poison-Pokémon fan art and explain what makes them special!

Bit of a weird topic I know, but essentially I'm really interested in what makes Pokémon unique and what sets them apart from other Pokémon, and I usually find that artists do this very well when depicting the Pokémon they're drawing or painting. Therefore, posting fan art is a great way to go about finding the uniqueness of the Pokémon we're discussing :D If anyone has anything else they'd like to discuss then feel free btw. :)
Old November 27th, 2012 (05:51 PM).
CourageHound

Answering Topic:
Post your favourite pieces of Poison-Pokémon fan art and explain what makes them special!

Well then, guess i gotta find some picks that showcase the awesomeness of poison types.. ERR....*searches files*

Some of the images are quite big btw, and I own nothing.

Spoiler:

We all know Muk just wants a hug...

But we all know NOT TO MESS WIT DA MUK!

Spoiler:

Cutest pick of an mega centipede EVER!! period. Kinda symbolizes the quiet/serious yet secretly caring/open vibe scolipede gives off. If ya dont know what i'm talkin about refer to Sir Arin's Lucario in "Lucario and the mystery of Mew"

Spoiler:

Silent, sneaky, decisive, and funny(in a weird kinda way). I think the groagunk line embodies the trait of poison, ghost, and dark types.

Spoiler:

Innocent, cute and ravenous(he was going to eat that ENTIRE apple by himself ). One of my fav and more quirky of poison types

Spoiler:

Gengar, the epitome of mischievousness things. Really displays gengar's bio as a devious little ghost type. I tend to be a boring/serious person most often IRL so I think we balance each other out

Spoiler:

Venusaur line granting itself a more serene air shows the different forms, and variety the poison type can present itself. I also like the peaceful forest background complemented by venusaur and co.

Spoiler:

Everyone's fovorite four winged ninja of the night. I like how the pictured showed his feet(most dont), but more importantly it gave some indication of Crobat's bawsnes.
Old December 9th, 2012 (07:30 PM).
TwilightBlade
Protect his very soul.

Name: TwilightBlade
Partner Pokemon: Thysania the Venomoth
Answer the current topic: Gonna answer a previous topic since I don't feel like hunting for fan art.

What is your favourite Poison type Pokémon and what makes it unique?
Like omg I have 6 shiny Venomoth and they're so wonderful and I would be fine dying from being surrounded and suffocated by a bunch of Venomoth idkkkk. I like that Venomoth is cute and tough; it can get tinted lens omg! It can learn powders, quiver dance, morning sun, psychic, giga drain, good stuff all moves I love.

Old December 10th, 2012 (04:21 AM).
CourageHound

@TwighlightBlade Congratz at joining! :D But...O.o how did you get 6 shiny venomoth?? Anyways thats really cool!

Yea venomoth is epecially scary to face just because it has so many tools at its disposal from spreading status, to quiver dance, to baton passing boosts.
Old December 10th, 2012 (11:50 AM).
TwilightBlade
Protect his very soul.

I chained shiny Venomoth in DPPt :) I also have chained 3 shiny Ariados and 2 shiny Nidoking.

I caught a shiny Weedle (now Beedrill) in Crystal. Also, I saw a shiny Grimer, but it ran from me. In Gold, Silver, and Crystal versions, only a few species of wild Pokemon can flee from battle, Grimer being one of those. 8|

Old December 12th, 2012 (09:00 PM).
CourageHound

Quote originally posted by TwilightBlade:
I chained shiny Venomoth in DPPt I also have chained 3 shiny Ariados and 2 shiny Nidoking.

I caught a shiny Weedle (now Beedrill) in Crystal. Also, I saw a shiny Grimer, but it ran from me. In Gold, Silver, and Crystal versions, only a few species of wild Pokemon can flee from battle, Grimer being one of those. 8|
Thats cool. I never had the patience or the grace in my finger muscles to chain all the way to a shiny. Well, for the topic are there any pics of poison pokes you find interesting?
Old December 15th, 2012 (10:06 PM). Edited December 15th, 2012 by Patrick.
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Er... uh. I'm so rusty with forums I'm actually kind of nervous. <_<;

Name: Pat
Partner Pokemon: Nidorina (the Nidorina. No, I'm not being facetious, that's her name)
Topic: I'll do you a couple at once... If I may combine Who's the Cutest Poison Type from way back with Favorite and Unique.

The answer to both is either Nidorina, or the first answer may be slightly skewed towards Nidoran Female, it literally varies daily. But I'm crazy about Nidos. Kind of. Okay, not as much as I used to be, but still enough to be consistent. To be honest, I really only like Nidoran F through Nidorino, I've never really felt anything for Nidoking (though I like some interpretations I've drawn).

Overall, though, Nidorina has been a top favorite for about 12 years, only being edged out length-of-time wise by Vulpix (my first favorite, who dropped to rank two/three as soon as I started loving 'Rina more). I'm also going to level with you all, I haven't touched a major Pokemon game in what feels like forever (the last side game I played was Rumble on the Wii, though). So the reasons why I think Nidorina is unique will have nothing to do with game stats, but more aesthetics of her design.

I feel like Nidorina has all the features that give her an appeal of a classic (pocket) monster, but at the same time, has a very strong silhouette that allows for a lot of creative interpretation just as long as you get the core elements down. That's strong design, I think. It's also why a Pokemon like Voltorb is unmemorable. She's not too over done like some of the other Nidos, but not too uninspired that she looks like Kirby with hair (you know who I mean), and the details are easy to remember. Almost everything is in threes. Three ear points, three claws, three toes (the middle one being larger). She doesn't have an insane amount of spikes to keep track of. Just four, and they sit on her back 2 by 2. Easy, easy, easy, and yet you'll never mistake Nidorina for another creature if you have any familiarity with her.

She can be charming too, depending on which art you're looking at. The anime did a horrible job of representing her, because it erroneously based her design from the Red/Green sprites, as opposed to the calm look she had in her old Sugimori promo art. Unfortunately, everyone remembered her for her anime design, but I think people have gotten away from that these days (I'd like to think I had a hand in that :D;).

I've drawn Nidorina so much in the past decade and two years that it's second nature, and I've really come to appreciate that solid, solid design. THAT'S why I think Nidorina is unique.

Game wise, Nidorina holds a special place thanks to Pokemon Silver, a game I didn't even like (so you know there had to be another draw). But that's a story for some other time.

As for fan art... uh. I'm not sure if I ought to. Oh no, it's nothing bad (I'm a very family friendly, cartoon loving kind of guy), but I still can't help but feel it'd be somewhat self serving. :Y I'm always apprehensive about these things.

I also never know how to feel about posting found art. Like, I technically don't want to because I have too much respect for the artists who don't want it redistributed (and I've been there in the past, don't care anymore these days), and yet... well, here's one of my old favorites. It's not mind blowing coloring wise, but I always thought it was amazing by the sheer fact that it came from a Japanese oekaki. Japan. A place where they go out of their way NOT to draw Nidos (I'm exaggerating, but still). And not only that, the art doesn't look like it came from a guidebook. It's full of so much character (it reminds me of the Yamashi-ta 4Koma (yikes, I understand the need for a filter, but it's the dude's name))! Truly a gem on those merits alone!

So, yeah. :D
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_000058.png‎ (10.5 KB, 1 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old December 16th, 2012 (08:31 PM).
CourageHound

@dbp ur SU and topic entries are both very admirable :D welcome to the club!

Was Nidoran&Nidorina the first pokemon you saw? (or one of the first?)

Before all the new 5th gen pokes came and before i started to recognise the awesome qualities of other pokemon Muk sort of "Claimed" me so, like you said even tho my favs veries evry now and the Muk stays my all time fav cuz of, ya know loyalty in what not.

I too have done some drawings of Muk. Nothing over the top or mind-blowing but I try to depict the boundless personallity Muk truly has.

Usually when I display others art i usually credit the author or state I didnt create it. But nonetheless, its slightly difficult to find err...the more positive depictions of poison types when looking at fan art. Hopefully when I get better i'll change that with my own art.

Do you think there will ever be another pokemon in any possible gen that will replace Nidorina as your fav?
Old December 17th, 2012 (06:28 AM).
Squirrel
Community Supporter

Sorry for late welcomes - been ridiculously busy with uni work aha.

Name: TwilightBlade
Partner Pokemon: Thysania the Venomoth
Answer the current topic: Gonna answer a previous topic since I don't feel like hunting for fan art.

Like omg I have 6 shiny Venomoth and they're so wonderful and I would be fine dying from being surrounded and suffocated by a bunch of Venomoth idkkkk. I like that Venomoth is cute and tough; it can get tinted lens omg! It can learn powders, quiver dance, morning sun, psychic, giga drain, good stuff all moves I love.
Welcome welcome welcome! <3 Venomoth is certainly a beautiful looking Pokémon but cute? I'm not so sure on that one haha. So what first started off your love with the Poison type moth Pokémon? It's not a Pokémon that I see being used much so there's got to be some kind of story there - spill! As for dying from them suffocating you... Just wow lmao. I can't say I like any Pokémon that much. xD Anyhow, welcome & enjoy your time here cutie!

I chained shiny Venomoth in DPPt :) I also have chained 3 shiny Ariados and 2 shiny Nidoking.

Hngg shiny Poison types are awesome <3 Grimer becomes a huge boogie and Koffing turns an awesome shade of blue and they all just look so cool. One that I'm not so keen on is shiny Gulpin since that looks kind of gross, but shiny Swalot makes up for it boasting a similar elegance from its colour as Koffing. Certainly some of my favourite designs :)

Thats cool. I never had the patience or the grace in my finger muscles to chain all the way to a shiny. Well, for the topic are there any pics of poison pokes you find interesting?
Spoiler:

Does it get more interesting than this? B)

Quote originally posted by dbp:
Er... uh. I'm so rusty with forums I'm actually kind of nervous. <_<;

Spoiler:
Name: Pat
Partner Pokemon: Nidorina (the Nidorina. No, I'm not being facetious, that's her name)
Topic: I'll do you a couple at once... If I may combine Who's the Cutest Poison Type from way back with Favorite and Unique.

The answer to both is either Nidorina, or the first answer may be slightly skewed towards Nidoran Female, it literally varies daily. But I'm crazy about Nidos. Kind of. Okay, not as much as I used to be, but still enough to be consistent. To be honest, I really only like Nidoran F through Nidorino, I've never really felt anything for Nidoking (though I like some interpretations I've drawn).

Overall, though, Nidorina has been a top favorite for about 12 years, only being edged out length-of-time wise by Vulpix (my first favorite, who dropped to rank two/three as soon as I started loving 'Rina more). I'm also going to level with you all, I haven't touched a major Pokemon game in what feels like forever (the last side game I played was Rumble on the Wii, though). So the reasons why I think Nidorina is unique will have nothing to do with game stats, but more aesthetics of her design.

I feel like Nidorina has all the features that give her an appeal of a classic (pocket) monster, but at the same time, has a very strong silhouette that allows for a lot of creative interpretation just as long as you get the core elements down. That's strong design, I think. It's also why a Pokemon like Voltorb is unmemorable. She's not too over done like some of the other Nidos, but not too uninspired that she looks like Kirby with hair (you know who I mean), and the details are easy to remember. Almost everything is in threes. Three ear points, three claws, three toes (the middle one being larger). She doesn't have an insane amount of spikes to keep track of. Just four, and they sit on her back 2 by 2. Easy, easy, easy, and yet you'll never mistake Nidorina for another creature if you have any familiarity with her.

She can be charming too, depending on which art you're looking at. The anime did a horrible job of representing her, because it erroneously based her design from the Red/Green sprites, as opposed to the calm look she had in her old Sugimori promo art. Unfortunately, everyone remembered her for her anime design, but I think people have gotten away from that these days (I'd like to think I had a hand in that :D;).

I've drawn Nidorina so much in the past decade and two years that it's second nature, and I've really come to appreciate that solid, solid design. THAT'S why I think Nidorina is unique.

Game wise, Nidorina holds a special place thanks to Pokemon Silver, a game I didn't even like (so you know there had to be another draw). But that's a story for some other time.

As for fan art... uh. I'm not sure if I ought to. Oh no, it's nothing bad (I'm a very family friendly, cartoon loving kind of guy), but I still can't help but feel it'd be somewhat self serving. :Y I'm always apprehensive about these things.

I also never know how to feel about posting found art. Like, I technically don't want to because I have too much respect for the artists who don't want it redistributed (and I've been there in the past, don't care anymore these days), and yet... well, here's one of my old favorites. It's not mind blowing coloring wise, but I always thought it was amazing by the sheer fact that it came from a Japanese oekaki. Japan. A place where they go out of their way NOT to draw Nidos (I'm exaggerating, but still). And not only that, the art doesn't look like it came from a guidebook. It's full of so much character (it reminds me of the Yamashi-ta 4Koma (yikes, I understand the need for a filter, but it's the dude's name))! Truly a gem on those merits alone!

So, yeah. :D
Good morning, welcome to the club! Hope you have a wonderful time with us here n.n So I now completely understand your love for Nidorina which surprised me considering it's a Pokémon that five minutes ago I disliked intensely, but what other Poison types do you like? Also you didn't mention Nidoqueen at all - are you a fan of her? Would you evolve a Nidorina? I'm really curious about this since it's honestly a Pokémon that I've never liked at all, so seeing your views may help change that. :D

I too have done some drawings of Muk. Nothing over the top or mind-blowing but I try to depict the boundless personallity Muk truly has.
Post them post them post them post them post them post them post them post them! :D

So last night for some reason I started thinking about the Scorupi family and then realised that they're actually really cool! Their designs are awesome, Drapion is badass and they're both Poison types. I'm curious, does/has anyone used these Pokémon much? I'm wanting to try them out but I'm clueless on moves to give them (I'm thinking elemental fangs but they're kinda weak...?) and honestly I don't know much about them at all haha. Anyone interested in that duo?
Old December 17th, 2012 (01:52 PM).
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

@CourageHound - I'm a little slow when it comes to forum terminology. What's an "SU"?

But as for the other stuff, Rina wasn't the first Pokemon I saw, I guess that honor goes to Pikachu (though to be fair, if you grew up before the series existed, the first Pokemon you saw was probably Pikachu, Charizard or Blastoise). I didn't even care about Nidorina until I forced myself to make a sympathetic story about one 12-ish years ago. Then, I felt really sorry for that character. Long story short, she became a major character, and a really positive, loving one at that, and she remains one of my favorite character-Nidorinas because of that. So really, it was that one character that caused me to look at the species as a whole differently, and now I love them.

Sometimes, you just have to make stories about all Pokemon to become more tolerant, if not understanding of them, and that's what that comic series I made back then was all about (each of the original 151 got a story for themselves). It's why I don't dislike any of the original set, nostalgia has nothing to do with it (maybe self-induced nostalgia, but nevertheless).

As for being replaced, at this point, never. It happened temporarily during the 3rd generation. I was obsessed with Kirlia and Mawile, and they anihilated all my other favorites, probably filling every slot in a potential top 500 (so my 3rd favorite would now be my 501st favorite). But I was also younger back then, too, so obsession was something that came easier, and took over without me either noticing it, or bothering to restrain against it.

But when that happens, you can expect a rough burnout. It didn't take too long for the both of them to take a harsh dive in the ranks, and I don't pay either of them much attention anymore. At the end of the day, the long suffering Nidorina was still there (oh God why is this so dramatic, ahahaha).

I burnt out on Pokemon during the 3rd generation, and I've given up on/moved on from the franchise shortly after the 5th gen set of games were released (more coincedental, considering I never bothered to see who or what the games were about, aside from being the same ol' same old). As a franchise, Pokemon has nothing else for me, which by virtue means that Nidorina can't be replaced at this point. It's impossible, and if you don't believe that, then I'll say it's definately not feasible. I can vaguely remember any of the Pokemon within the first three generations as it is.

@AlexOzzyCake - I ought to just give you a link to my website. If you go in with genuine interest and spend some time looking at the best stuff there, I'd honestly dare you to come out of it without having some kind of respect or appreciation for what can be done with the Nido family. I've had a pretty sizable impact on how people perceive them. But you couldn't skim through it, it would defeat the purpose. But, I have too much humility to feel comfortable in doing that (years ago, I'd probably be more shameless). 'w';

It's hard to explaaaaaiiiinnnn... argh... you know how people always love the underdog? The Nidos are the underdog I've taken under my wing, as it were, so I put in a lot of my own talents (widespread talents. I mean more than just fan art) to essentially vouch for them that "Hey guys! These Pokemon are really cool" or "Nidos CAN be cool, too". If you read above what I've said to CourageHound, I myself didn't care for Nidorina until I wrote a story about one. Sometimes, that's literally all it takes is to, well I don't want to say humanize them, but to make them more than just a soulless bunch of pixels.

You mention Nidoqueen. Personally, I like all the Nidos except Nidoking, who I don't have a problem with, but he's more of a background character to me (I think since he was always fairly popular, I felt like he didn't need my assistance, so I never got attached). But would I evolve a Nidorina into one? The absolute honest answer to that is that I wouldn't even get involved in catching Pokemon to begin with. But let's say a Nidoran Female was given to me as a gift. The answer would be no, because there's no need to. I honestly don't like the idea of Pokemon battling, if I were to think about it in real world terms, but in the game universe, meh, it's just a game.

Let's cut out all the hypotheticals in real life and just focus on the games. Would I? Actually, in that case, I'd have 2 Nidorina, one primed for evolution and one to keep, because Nidoqueen is a good Pokemon to have on a team, I'm no fool. :P But (a) Nidorina would always be on my team, I'd never put her in a box. She's my personal Pikachu. It's been this way in Silver, and again in the Kanto remakes (and anytime I went back and played R/B, the first passes don't count).

As for other Poison types... I dunno, Ekans is cool. Gulpin's poison, right? He's cool too. I honestly can't remember a whole lot of Pokemon without looking them up, so while there might be others, that's the best I got off the top of my head. However, I think I'm sort of cheating to say I like Nidos, because I see them more as rabbits first before it sets in that they're part of the Poison category. It's not as obvious as Muk or Grimer where you think "Oh yeah, THAT guy is poisonous". Also, my favorite animals in real life are rodents and lagomorphs, along with the koala.

Could I guess why you don't like Nidorina?
  • Useless in terms of stats? Aren't most Pokemon?
  • Useless in terms of moveset? She isn't tied down to her standard moves, and over the years they've gotten a little better. But egg breeding and such wouldn't be worth it if the first reason is a barrier.
  • Not much to look at? As stated, that's the anime's fault, and I was essentially able to prove that. Nidorina, for all intents and purposes, was supposed to look like a feminine Bulba/Ivysaur at best, but Sugimori's art was ignored. It's something I point out a lot, because it's such a misconception that at this point is very widespread, especially since marketing, merchandise and the like have used the anime as a guideline, and not Sugimori. So hag-Nidorina became the variation everyone knew her as. Fortunately, recent measures have been taken to rectify that officially, but it may be a bit too late. Oh Lord, I know way too much about this junk no one cares about. 9_9
I should point out that the current artwork Sugimori has produced of the Pokemon is sort of a fusion/compromise of his art and the anime's, which in a way actually borked up Nidoran Female and Nidoking (Nido F has less of an animal's anatomy now, and Nidoking looks a LOT less menacing) to a degree. But it really streamlined a lot of others. Fortunately, Nidorina's still based moreso on his original design, but she's less fat and a little less maternal in appearance.

Whew. Sorry for the text wall, guys, but you sort of asked for it. :D And this right here is nothing. I could always go deeper, ahaha!

Eh, here's some more fan art. These are mine, so I don't have to feel bad about found pics.

Spoiler:
Done earlier in the year.

Spoiler:
This one might be three years old...

Spoiler:
This one is gift art for someone's else's Nidorina character. Very recent.

Spoiler:
Done last year. As stated in my first post, I don't think much of Nidoking generically, but I do like some of the character designs I've done with them. This is probably my favorite Nidoking picture. Least ways one that I made.

Yeah. I'm going to admit most of my art is like the last two, based on characters. I barely draw garden-variety-super-average-common-everyday Nidos anymore, like the first two pics. That dwindled alongside my regards for the franchise itself. I don't have a whole lot of common Nido art to show that's newer than 3 years. I have some that's older, but it doesn't really reflect my personal style of drawing. Also, my avatar was also drawn/colored by me.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old December 17th, 2012 (10:14 PM).
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
Name: Rainbow Arcanine
Partner Pokemon: Axel the Stunky
Answer the Current Topic:
Sorry I couldn't find much fanart I liked ;___;, so I'm just going to go back to a previous topic.

STUNKY <333! Honestly, there isn't enough adjectives ,feelings or screams to describe this little creature. It doesn't receive too much love unfortunately ;_____; , but in my heart it will always be a special little thing. In real life, it would be based off a skunk I'm assuming :3? Skunks have an amazing defence system with when they feel threatened or attacked, they'll stick up their rear and spray out a revolting, unbearable gas, that would easily scare away any creature. I have to admit, skunks aren't all that pretty D:, but they have a unique way of protecting themselves and I've admired them since I was in preschool x).

When I first saw Stunky, it was honestly love at first sight. I had all these flashbacks of pictures of real-life and cartoon skunks, then screamed at my Diamond and caught it. It was a great unique battler too with sneaky moves like Night Slash and Sucker Punch. Amazing little dude :3. I don't like Skuntank as much honestly, since I prefer first-stage evolutions as all of them look adorable :). It's face sort of disturbed me at first, as it sort of looked like an angry cat but over time I got used to it and started loving the design. And that began my year's worth of random sketches of all these adorable Stunkys, just lying down, eating berries and what not x), I used to mess around a lot and laugh endlessly how messy my drawings were, but it sure was a ton of fun :3.

Stunky had a little bit of competition with my second favourite Gulpin, but it overcame that and claimed the cake :3.
. :p
Old December 18th, 2012 (01:26 AM).
CourageHound

@CourageHound - I'm a little slow when it comes to forum terminology. What's an "SU"?
No problem. An SU means "Sign Up". Like, Sign Up form.

But as for the other stuff, Rina wasn't the first Pokemon I saw, I guess that honor goes to Pikachu (though to be fair, if you grew up before the series existed, the first Pokemon you saw was probably Pikachu, Charizard or Blastoise). I didn't even care about Nidorina until I forced myself to make a sympathetic story about one 12-ish years ago. Then, I felt really sorry for that character. Long story short, she became a major character, and a really positive, loving one at that, and she remains one of my favorite character-Nidorinas because of that. So really, it was that one character that caused me to look at the species as a whole differently, and now I love them.

Sometimes, you just have to make stories about all Pokemon to become more tolerant, if not understanding of them, and that's what that comic series I made back then was all about (each of the original 151 got a story for themselves). It's why I don't dislike any of the original set, nostalgia has nothing to do with it (maybe self-induced nostalgia, but nevertheless).
I know exaaactly what you mean. For some Pokemon, learning to like them, in most cases is something more or less aquired. That was the same for me and Muk.

As for being replaced, at this point, never. It happened temporarily during the 3rd generation. I was obsessed with Kirlia and Mawile, and they anihilated all my other favorites, probably filling every slot in a potential top 500 (so my 3rd favorite would now be my 501st favorite). But I was also younger back then, too, so obsession was something that came easier, and took over without me either noticing it, or bothering to restrain against it.
Gengar a few times took Muk's place as fav poison type but Muk always came back on top again. That being said Geengar is now 2nd fav poison type and 4th fav pokemon overall.

But when that happens, you can expect a rough burnout. It didn't take too long for the both of them to take a harsh dive in the ranks, and I don't pay either of them much attention anymore. At the end of the day, the long suffering Nidorina was still there (oh God why is this so dramatic, ahahaha).

I burnt out on Pokemon during the 3rd generation, and I've given up on/moved on from the franchise shortly after the 5th gen set of games were released (more coincedental, considering I never bothered to see who or what the games were about, aside from being the same ol' same old). As a franchise, Pokemon has nothing else for me, which by virtue means that Nidorina can't be replaced at this point. It's impossible, and if you don't believe that, then I'll say it's definately not feasible. I can vaguely remember any of the Pokemon within the first three generations as it is.
I....dont think i'll ever have a burnout like that

It's hard to explaaaaaiiiinnnn... argh... you know how people always love the underdog? The Nidos are the underdog I've taken under my wing, as it were, so I put in a lot of my own talents (widespread talents. I mean more than just fan art) to essentially vouch for them that "Hey guys! These Pokemon are really cool" or "Nidos CAN be cool, too". If you read above what I've said to CourageHound, I myself didn't care for Nidorina until I wrote a story about one. Sometimes, that's literally all it takes is to, well I don't want to say humanize them, but to make them more than just a soulless bunch of pixels.
^Same. When i look at this, it looks as if I'm quoting myself

• Not much to look at? As stated, that's the anime's fault, and I was essentially able to prove that. Nidorina, for all intents and purposes, was supposed to look like a feminine Bulba/Ivysaur at best, but Sugimori's art was ignored. It's something I point out a lot, because it's such a misconception that at this point is very widespread, especially since marketing, merchandise and the like have used the anime as a guideline, and not Sugimori. So hag-Nidorina became the variation everyone knew her as. Fortunately, recent measures have been taken to rectify that officially, but it may be a bit too late. Oh Lord, I know way too much about this junk no one cares about. 9_9

:o I care! Nice food for thought

Whew. Sorry for the text wall, guys, but you sort of asked for it. :D And this right here is nothing. I could always go deeper, ahaha!
Naw, its ok go ahead! I live for that kinda stuff

Eh, here's some more fan art. These are mine, so I don't have to feel bad about found pics.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Done earlier in the year.

Spoiler:
This one might be three years old...

Spoiler:
This one is gift art for someone's else's Nidorina character. Very recent.

Spoiler:
Done last year. As stated in my first post, I don't think much of Nidoking generically, but I do like some of the character designs I've done with them. This is probably my favorite Nidoking picture. Least ways one that I made.

Yeah. I'm going to admit most of my art is like the last two, based on characters. I barely draw garden-variety-super-average-common-everyday Nidos anymore, like the first two pics. That dwindled alongside my regards for the franchise itself. I don't have a whole lot of common Nido art to show that's newer than 3 years. I have some that's older, but it doesn't really reflect my personal style of drawing. Also, my avatar was also drawn/colored by me.
Theese are all really good. I'm more of a sketch artist and I kinda suck at painting/coloring. Maybe if I had a electronic sketch pad I could do digital images.....Well anyway, congrats. When I try to draw Gengar and Muk, its always fun cuz theyre kinda chubby

@RainbowArcanine Welcome to the Club! And thats a very cute choice in stunky. :]

@AlexOzzyCake Urr I cant post any of my art, mainly because all of the good ones i've done are lost forever since a few years ago T-T. I could do some more if you'd like.
Old December 18th, 2012 (10:00 AM).
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

Hi Rainbow Arcane! I find it interesting you picked Stunky more for aesthetic reasons, or because skunks are your favorite animal, moreso than what they do for you in the games. That's a lot like why I like Nidos (I like rabbits, and every other rabbit-esque Pokemon up until Buneary didn't really cut it. It's the same reason I think Rattata's a better mouse/rat than Pikachu).

I'd have to disagree with you, though, on "skunks not being all that pretty". Well, I guess pretty isn't the best word to describe a lot of animals that aren't colorful birds or fish, but skunks do have a cuteness to them, sort of like hedgehogs do. As far as not so cute furry mammals go, possums are a pretty good example, and are sort of unnerving.

I also remember Stunky, despite never getting formally aquainted with the 4th generation of Pokemon. I was never quite sure why they went with an angry Garfield design for a face, but it does play up a nice cartoonish angle.

I....dont think i'll ever have a burnout like that
I didn't either, but here we are. But the thing is, some people move on from a series, and some can stick with it for a long period of time. Sonic, for example, had it's ups, and has a whole lot of downs, but I'll still buy the decent games (I won't buy every game, though. I'm not THAT dedicated), because Sonic the Hedgehog (the first game) had a major impact on how I think about video games. It's probably why I'm in school for Game Production now. Mega Man and Kirby are also two series I'll stick to, even if recent Kirby outings don't exactly fill me with glee.

But, it's no different than people who grew up playing Mario just not having an interest in the games anymore, but the respect is still there. That's me with Pokemon.

Naw, its ok go ahead! I live for that kinda stuff ;)
Heh, maybe later. I've contributed more than enough text to this page. I think we should let someone else get a word in. :)

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old December 18th, 2012 (04:38 PM).
PeanutButterGamer
Unhatched Egg

i would like to join
Name: PBG
Partner poke: Frogger the croagunk
i don't get what the 3rd thing is sorry
Old December 18th, 2012 (08:44 PM).
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
Aww thanks <3! Hmm yeah, I generally choose my partners off of animals I love and admire in real life, rather than there capabilities in fighting. But even if I do make that sort of decision, I still would say Stunky is a great battler with sneaky moves your opponent would never except. I guess skunks are adorable in real life :D, but all of those cartoons I've seen ages ago, had some skunks in a few episodes that looked dodgy and ugly.

Hiya PBG :3. Welcome to the club x), nice choice of a partner :D. I always loved Croagunk, mainly for the fact of how it jabbed Brock in his hip, everytime he fell in love with a lady or one of the several Nurse Joys. How about you, why do you like it :3?

Basically answer the current topic means you post your thoughts and opinions on the discussion given to you. For example let's say someone makes the current topic. "Post what is your favourite Pokemon and why."

You would say what your favourite Pokemon is in your post, give some reasons and that's all to it really ;). Sorry I'm not the best at explaining, so if you still need clarification feel free to ask!

Also I found some great little pictures while I was browsing around, so I might as well answer the current topic ;):Post your favourite pieces of Poison-Pokémon fan art and explain what makes them special!

I own none of these, all of them belong to their rightful creators :3.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

These are all special in their own little ways, with either a hidden joke, great detail, or the way I like how the creators have painted them :3. Their all great fanart pictures, I could honestly probably never draw anywhere near this ;_;.
. :p
Old December 18th, 2012 (08:53 PM).
Hikamaru
caligulasAquarium
Community Supporter

After some searching on DeviantArt, I finally found some good ones!

Spoiler:

I love the entire Roselia evolution line, especially Roserade. This is one of my fave pictures featuring the three of them together!

Spoiler:

Even though its evolved form is among my most hated Pokemon, I still think Trubbish is one of the cutest Poison-types to ever exist, especially after I saw its personality in the anime. This fanart has nice coloring.

Spoiler:

Stunky has to be one of my fave Poison-types ever, cos it looks pretty adorable and I love how its got a very good defensive typing, which only carries a single weakness to Ground. Not to mention I tried one out myself in D/P/Pt and it actually did a good job on my team. This art is so cute!

battle server | tumblr | twitter | lovely pair
adoption center mentor | fairy-type club

Old December 23rd, 2012 (04:51 PM).
CourageHound

Quote originally posted by Hikari10:

Spoiler:

Stunky has to be one of my fave Poison-types ever, cos it looks pretty adorable and I love how its got a very good defensive typing, which only carries a single weakness to Ground. Not to mention I tried one out myself in D/P/Pt and it actually did a good job on my team. This art is so cute!
Ahhh that stunky is so adorable!! So furry and purple!

Agree that dark poison is a very good typing. I wonder what other poison types with that typing in the future will be like
Old December 24th, 2012 (03:32 AM).
Squirrel
Community Supporter

Could I guess why you don't like Nidorina?
  • Useless in terms of stats? Aren't most Pokemon?
  • Useless in terms of moveset? She isn't tied down to her standard moves, and over the years they've gotten a little better. But egg breeding and such wouldn't be worth it if the first reason is a barrier.
I should point out that the current artwork Sugimori has produced of the Pokemon is sort of a fusion/compromise of his art and the anime's, which in a way actually borked up Nidoran Female and Nidoking (Nido F has less of an animal's anatomy now, and Nidoking looks a LOT less menacing) to a degree. But it really streamlined a lot of others. Fortunately, Nidorina's still based moreso on his original design, but she's less fat and a little less maternal in appearance.
I don't mind Nidorina's stats and honestly I'm not fussed about her moveset either, I don't really look for those things in Pokémon for why I like them. The design/concept if the only thing leading me to dislike Nidorina since to me it looks... Kind of incomplete? It looks pretty cartoony to me and I'm just not a huge fan of it haha. But everyone has different tastes n.n I must admit though, I never knew the whole Sugimori thing - it is making me see it in a slightly different light but I'm still not convinced. xD I'll Google some art over the Christmas period and see if I can't change that opinion though. :D

Quote originally posted by Rainbow Arcanine:
Name: Rainbow Arcanine
Partner Pokemon: Axel the Stunky
Answer the Current Topic:
Sorry I couldn't find much fanart I liked ;___;, so I'm just going to go back to a previous topic.

STUNKY <333! Honestly, there isn't enough adjectives ,feelings or screams to describe this little creature. It doesn't receive too much love unfortunately ;_____; , but in my heart it will always be a special little thing. In real life, it would be based off a skunk I'm assuming :3? Skunks have an amazing defence system with when they feel threatened or attacked, they'll stick up their rear and spray out a revolting, unbearable gas, that would easily scare away any creature. I have to admit, skunks aren't all that pretty D:, but they have a unique way of protecting themselves and I've admired them since I was in preschool x).

When I first saw Stunky, it was honestly love at first sight. I had all these flashbacks of pictures of real-life and cartoon skunks, then screamed at my Diamond and caught it. It was a great unique battler too with sneaky moves like Night Slash and Sucker Punch. Amazing little dude :3. I don't like Skuntank as much honestly, since I prefer first-stage evolutions as all of them look adorable :). It's face sort of disturbed me at first, as it sort of looked like an angry cat but over time I got used to it and started loving the design. And that began my year's worth of random sketches of all these adorable Stunkys, just lying down, eating berries and what not x), I used to mess around a lot and laugh endlessly how messy my drawings were, but it sure was a ton of fun :3.

Stunky had a little bit of competition with my second favourite Gulpin, but it overcame that and claimed the cake :3.
Welcome welcome welcome! <3 I've already welcomes you on the battle chatroom but here it is again! Welcome to the club, I hope you have a wonderful time here. I completely adore Stunky too so you're not alone on this, it's such an adorable Pokémon and it's really unique too, especially with it's quirky typing and somewhat diverse move pool - it can use pretty much any strategy you could think of haha. So what made you choose him over Gulpin? I must say, Gulpin is one of my all-time favourites so I do rather love them both! Hope you have fun here c:

Quote originally posted by PeanutButterGamer:
i would like to join :)
Name: PBG
Partner poke: Frogger the croagunk
i don't get what the 3rd thing is sorry :(
Hiya, welcome to the club! Hope you have a wonderful time here c: Croagunk is a great choice of partner and honestly one which I expected to come up a lot more often! So what made you choose it over all the other Poison types? And what's your favourite Poison type? c:

Quote originally posted by Rainbow Arcanine:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Ahh that Trubbish picture is so cute! And the Grimer too ahh, I'm loving these pictures. It's a shame that I'm a fangirl and Google these all-day-long so I've seen them all already haha.

Ahhh that stunky is so adorable!! So furry and purple!

Agree that dark poison is a very good typing. I wonder what other poison types with that typing in the future will be like
I'm hoping for a Dark/Poison Pokémon with the ability Levitate, how cool would that be for a Poison type to have no weaknesses? :3 Although I reckon Poison/Ice would be cool to see too, it'd lead to some very interesting Pokémon. :D

So, time for a new question! Which generation do you guys think introduced the most interesting new Poison types as a whole?

I think the first generation is a little biased with the huge amount of Poison types that were introduced with it, but I'm going to have to go with generation four! Pokémon like Stunky, Roserade, Skorupi, Croagunk - they're all just such cool Pokémon. There's honestly not a single Poison type in Gen IV that I don't like and the majority of them are all incredibly unique from other Poison types; plus 3/4 are amazing in battle!

Anywho I had to make this post relatively short since I've got a meeting with my grandparents in 5 minutes and this is my last chance to post before Christmas, so just want to wish everyone a merry Christmas! Hope you all have a wonderful holiday and get loads of cool Poison Pokémon gifts! :D <3

Sponsored Links