Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 16th, 2012 (01:54 AM).
Talli
Tsunderes forever

Nature: Naughty
to tell you the truth I am not all my favorite pokemon are Hoenn and shinoh pokemon.
I actully made a 'purist' a fan of pokemon white
Old February 16th, 2012 (02:17 AM). Edited February 16th, 2012 by Hikamaru.
Hikamaru
save yourself
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I'm not a Pokemon Purist, my fave generation happens to be the 5th Gen cos the Unova Region introduced some of my fave Pokemon.

My opinion on Pokemon Purists is because of their Kanto obsession, they have to get over it and discover the other regions. I found most Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova Pokemon to be more awesome than Kanto.

My first generation (game-wise) was 3rd Gen (Hoenn) so you can tell I'm not one of those who only love Kanto Pokemon.

Pokemon Purists - We only love Kanto Pokemon. We take down fans of Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova cos their Pokemon sucked. Original 151 FTW!

That's what I think of Pokemon Purists. It's a cute slogan I made up describing Kanto fans who hate other regions.

I love all the regions other than Kanto actually.

Here's my ranking of regions overall:

1st - Unova (I loved the Pokemon! So many cute ones!)
2nd - Sinnoh (Cool Pokemon, the only downside was D/P being so slow compared to Platinum)
3rd - Johto (Better nostalgia cos I played SoulSilver)
4th - Hoenn (My first region game-wise, the Pokemon did look odd at first but I got to liking them)
5th - Kanto (Their Pokemon don't look as cute as Pokemon from other regions)

Yes, you can basically say I'm a Unova Fangirl.
Old February 19th, 2012 (06:23 AM).
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

I suppose I'm kind of classed as a Pokemon Purist. My favourite region is Johto with Kanto coming in second and Hoen third. I hated Sinnoh and Unovo even more so but I haven't been able to put my finger on it. It may be the way the art style has changed seeing as the art style has always played a big part in games for me.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old February 19th, 2012 (07:07 AM). Edited February 19th, 2012 by EB.
EB
Re: World
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Calm
Personally, I am biased when it comes to which games I enjoy the most (G1 + 2), but I wouldn't call them the best games in the series just because of the nostalgia 'n' such attached to them. I think the thing that turned me away from G4 + 5 was the fact that you could just feel the fact that Nintendo had kept their audience focused mainly towards 5-12 year-olds, with no recognizable elements to suggest they know us older players even exist.

In the earlier games this wasn't so easily distinguishable, but now it seems that the level of "yeah, I get it..." has reached its breaking point--at least for me as a player. I mean, shouldn't we all know by now what is implied in playing a Pokémon game? There's just too much hand-holding in the later generations where it wasn't really necessary, I guess. And personally, I grow weary of all of the cut scenes as well, but that's probably something of an personal problem.

Also, G4 went overkill with the experimenting. It's as if they threw together all of these extra ideas into the game to see the reception without actually doing their job: studying what the best ways would be to get people to purchase enjoy their game prior to game development.

G1 + 2 did a good job of respecting the player's intelligence without actually removing boundaries in any way. And in comparing to the designs of the newer Pokémon to the old... well, let's just say that it's not hard to see the changes in the level of creativity, through certain examples in particular.
Old February 20th, 2012 (03:44 PM).
Yellow Silver Nostalgia
Those Were The Days

I think I prefer the earlier games because they weren't too serious back then. It's what being young is all about - not taking life seriously and just having fun, and battling Pokemon against each other was a great way to do that. But then when they brought in storylines about cataclysmic events and introduced Pokemon that controlled the weather and time and space, it all got a bit too serious, and ruined the fun in my opinion.

I mean, just take a look through the Pokedex, and the Pokemon get more and more depressed with each generation, especially in the latest two where hardly any of them are smiling. I prefer to think that Pokemon are having fun battling against each other than to think they're slaves used for people's entertainment.
Old February 20th, 2012 (04:00 PM).
Slowbroking
Beginning Trainer

New Pokemon are cool, in a different kind of way. The Pokemon in older generations had that sort of "Pokemony" feel to them that the ones today are missing. Now, they are more like these strange looking deity types, like the space goat creator, Arceus. I personaly like the newer generations just like the older ones, but I can see why others might think otherwise,
Old February 20th, 2012 (04:13 PM).
Arc
xanadu
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
LOL. I'm not even close to Gen 1 purist. Since, Gen 2 is my favourite. I do think Gen 1 is pretty good in some aspects, but in other aspects such as limited bag space, turn me off.

[x]
Old February 28th, 2012 (04:22 PM).
Autobot Silverwynde
Automaton Protector

Nature: Naive
Definitely not. I've played the first Gen and I enjoy it, but I can't claim that it's the be-all/end-all of Pokemon.

As to how I feel about purists, I don't really care, as long as they don't try and tell me that Gen V sucks. The moment someone starts up with that, I tune them out. It took five Gens before I got two real, honest to goodness favorites so no, the original aren't the greatest ever.

We've come a long, long way together,
Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,
I have to praise you like I should.
Old March 4th, 2012 (09:32 AM).
Jeremy
Sweetie
Community Supporter

Well sweeties, I'm definitely not a Pokémon purist. I enjoyed the first gen games to death, but in my opinion second generation was the best, Pokémon wise and gameplay wise. It expanded on what we already had with first gen such as giving us new evolutions and pre-evolutions. Gameplay wise the night and day mechanic was just breathtaking when I was younger. The introduction of shiny Pokémon was nice. Pokérus made me concern on raising my Pokémon even more stat wise. Also the fact Johto is connected to Kanto made things even better. Plus gen 2 debut my favorite gym leader of all time!

Even after gen 2, the battle system got more refined and the Pokémon end up looking more interesting.

As for purist, they are entitled to their opinion.

Facebook Twitter

Old March 4th, 2012 (09:37 AM).
EarthWolfblade
Returning breeder

Send a message via Skype™ to EarthWolfblade
[SIZE="a"]I loved Gen1 but I'm not really a purist xD[/SIZE]
Old March 4th, 2012 (09:38 AM).
Joshawott
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Brave
Absolutely not. I guess I can't really blame Pokémon purists, though, because people find many things from the 80s and 90s hard to let go of (i.e. 8-bit music).
Old March 13th, 2012 (09:48 PM).
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
Whenever I go back and try to play gen 1, either the originals or the remakes, I find it very difficult. :( I just... don't really like them much anymore, haha. So I'm definitely not a purist. (I feel sooort of the same way about gen 2 but I could probably replay HGSS again if only to have a Cherrim following me once more.)

Purists usually annoy me because the worst ones are the ones who won't even try the newer games. No. You don't get such a vocal opinion if you won't even give something a try. You can't form a proper opinion without the experience. >:( Go away. (I am absolutely fine with the ones who do play the later games and still just don't like them, though.)
Old March 13th, 2012 (09:54 PM).
Thomas
HAIL HYDRA!
Community Supporter

I don't have a DS, so I can't really play any of the newer games, but I do enjoy replaying Blue (or sometimes Leaf Green) the most, and I do believe it is still the best game. So yeah, I guess I am a "Pokemon Purist". I'm not ashamed of it though. It was a big part of my childhood...more than any other game that came after it. I think if anything it has more of a sentimental value to me.
Old March 15th, 2012 (10:23 AM).
EGKangaroo
Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to EGKangaroo Send a message via Skype™ to EGKangaroo
Well, I think under the definition given, I am a light pokémon purist. I do certainly believe that the designs of the first generation were among the best, and have thusfar not been topped by some of the other generations as a whole, but this is not to say I despise other generations. I like many pokémon, and have favourites from second, third, fourth as well as fifth generation just as well as I have some from the first generation, and I most certainly enjoy playing the games no matter what generation. Sure, my preference will go out to the first generation for nostalgic reasons; it's been an important part of my childhood and I'd be stupid to deny so, but I do not despise the other generations or even completely deny their existence like some more hardcore purists do.
Old March 15th, 2012 (10:44 AM).
Taro Tanaka
Do You Believe In Magic?

Nature: Timid
I ain't a purist. If anything, ever Generation has at least one Pokemon that's well suited to beat up all of the others'. I might be wrong, but that's what my team leads me to believe. And with many different and strategic combinations possible, combining Pokemon from different Generations isn't a bad thing, so staying with only one Generation can cause a bit of a backlash for those who're into competitive battling.
Old March 15th, 2012 (11:32 AM).
LuckyLucario2000

Nature: Calm
I've been getting into BW but I will always prefer the 1, 2, and 3rd generations of Pokemon. But the 1st and 2nd gens are outdated by their remakes. The only reason I would get them is if I were a collector.
Old June 21st, 2014 (02:31 PM).
TruePokeFan

That definition is biased and untrue. I've been around since the beginning of Pokemon, and while I do think that the first two generations are best, it has NOTHING to do with nostalgia. The people who enjoy the later generations are usually the ones who are victims of nostalgia, because more often then not, they are younger kids who discovered pokemon through later gen games. They are the ones who have a warped perspective because they can't understand how subsequent generations robbed pokemon of what made it great in the first place. Now, I was a kid when gen 3 came out. I was as excited as when gen 2 came out, but ended up hating it. Why? Not because of nostalgia. Because gen 3 and the subsequent generations simply do not match the tone of the first two. The pokemon themselves were insanely dirivitive of previous generations to the point of being superfluous. Their designs didnt fit the aesthetic or tone of the established pokemon world and the games entire plots be and all about the legendarily, which, by the way were COMPLETELY subpar. Now, in fairness there are some weak links in previous gens, but not nearly as many. And I'm more inclined to accept the earlier weak links because they were initial mistakes. I can't accept a character that is the same mistake all over again. Gen 2 also slides in my opinion because it is clear that at least some of the pokemon were conceieved of from the start, ex: Ho-Oh. Now, the subsequent gens do have some cool maps, fun new features, enhanced graphics, and cool technology-- I can't take that away. But where I lose it is that the new pokemon are merely a half assed piece of marketing strategy. Game freak believed that new characters equals sustained interest and therefore, increased sales. It doesn't. They should have spent their time and energy on improved gameplay rather than increase the number of pokemon. Lets face it, no matter what generation it comes from, no one tires of their favorite pokemon. But I would genuinely be willing to accept ALL of the new generation pokemon and all the updates if it were not for one set of legendaries: Arceus and the creation trio. NO. I REJECT THIS. Even fans of the new generations hate this. And I don't hate it because of the idea of God. Spiritual themes have always been prevelant throughout the series. I hate it because it cheapens everything. The sense of mystery is part of what made pokemon so fun. They killed it by needlessly addressing an existential issue by creating a (really poor) pokemon that is supposedly responsible for creating the universe. If you can't see how stupid this is, you are blinded. And I don't even need to go into why arceus is stupid--you already know. Also, the idea of humans having evolved from pokemon begs the question as to why humans are not the submissive species. Pokemon was always larger than life, but Arceus removes any sense of connectedness with the pokemon universe because it takes it into the realm of unrelatabity.
Old June 21st, 2014 (02:40 PM).
pippitha

I guess I'm not, because I play all the games. I do think the originals are the best. The main character was so awesome that they made him a rival in a future generation. The main rival of the first games was pretty great. He made you WANT to kick his butt. They had the best technology, even if they never expanded on it (Bill turned into a POKEMON, why is this marvelous invention not a part of the newer games???) I thought the whole Lavender town/ Marowak thing was probably the saddest thing in all of pokemon history. And then of course the nostalgia. All the glitches made for great fun, to me anyways. I also liked the simple Mew as the main legendary, and the pokemon all having 'evolved' from mew. (containing every pokemon's dna). I don't like how all the next generations added new legendaries that completely cancelled out Mew's reason for existing, since these legendaries are about creating time and space and all that. I liked it better when it wasn't about pokemon gods.

But I do love the new generations as well, even if a lot of the designs are dumb. I get excited every time a new game comes out.
The people who only play the first generation, I understand that wanting to hold onto the good memories. I do feel sad that they are missing out on the great new things the newer games have though.
Old June 21st, 2014 (02:47 PM).
TruePokeFan

Also, if you weren't around when the original games came out, you have NO basis for comparison because you have NO IDEA just how monumental they were. Even the concept of saving a game was relatively new back then. Pokemon was like an acid trip back then.
Old June 21st, 2014 (02:48 PM). Edited June 21st, 2014 by Maleficent.
Maleficent

Slightly.
But only because I don't feel like a key-chain or an ice cream cone qualifies as a monster.
There have always been some questionable pokemon throughout the games,
but the most recent two(?) generations are just unacceptable, IMO.

Gen1 wasn't the ultimate best.
Various pokemon and plot points from different main pokemon games were great.
Just don't ask me to play B&W or X&Y.
Old June 21st, 2014 (02:55 PM).
adventure
impossible girl

Whoa, this thread is from 2012, not sure the people who once made it still are interested. I still wonder how new members manage to find really old threads sometimes xD

But since several people posted and seemed to find this interesting, we'll just shrug and keep it open, shall we? Quoting the opening post for reference here though:

Quote:
A Pokémon Purist is someone who typically holds the belief that the first generation is the best because it was the first, and usually hold that belief based on nostalgia and sentimentality. They believe they had the best towns, they had the best Pokémon, they had the best story line, they had the best gym leaders, they had the best replay value, etc. Some refuse to buy games of later generations because of this, some continue to buy them and play though them (thoroughly enjoying them), but still hold the belief that Gen I was better and they'll usually never change their opinion.

Are you a Pokémon Purist? If so, how much of one are you? If not, what is your opinion of Pokémon Purists?
Old June 21st, 2014 (07:40 PM).
curiousnathan
goodbye to the future

Nature: Mild
No. The First Generation isn't definitely not the best. I don't really sit with one generation. I like a range of Pokemon from a range of different Gens. While I might have more favourites in one Pokemon era than another, I do like a lot of things from each generation.
Old June 22nd, 2014 (01:39 AM).
adventure
impossible girl

Nah, Gen I wasn't the best but it had many great pokémon. Some of the best, and also the pokémon ensemble as a whole was pretty great. And the anime back then was something else :) so in some ways, I'll always love old Kanto.

But long gone are the days when I refused to believe that Steelix was a real thing and evo of Onix, haha. I really didn't believe my friend at first and thought his Silver version was a fake somehow.
Old June 22nd, 2014 (09:48 AM). Edited June 22nd, 2014 by SmashBrony.
SmashBrony
Epic Adventurer

I have been playing pokemon ever since "the good ol'days" of Red & Blue.

I have fond memories of playing Red & if I were to play it today, I'm sure I would enjoy it just as much as I do X & Y.

But I don't belive that any generation of pokemon is any better than the others, as I can find things I like/dislike for each gen.

As for the so-called "purists"...

While it's good for people to appercate the classics, they're missing out by not trying new things.

I betcha that if they ACTUALLY did try the newer games, they'd like them just as much.
EDITED IN:
Well, maybe not AS much, but still would enjoy them.
(perhaps this is what they're afaid of?)
For more info, PM me please!
Old June 22nd, 2014 (11:35 AM).
Pepperton
governor of indiana

Send a message via Skype™ to Pepperton
Actually, the first generation is one of my least favorites. I used to hate it, but over the years it's grown on me a bit. Something about the region just doesn't please me, and I always felt that the Pokemon weren't very imaginative. Of course, it's the first ever generation of Pokemon, so it's unfair for me to have such judgement, but in comparison to newer Pokemon, I can't help but favor the more recent generations. :c
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links