The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:32 AM
MoonCrow
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
I hate basic titles, like "Journey of blablabla", "An adventure in patipata", "The story of titiriti" and stuff like that. One can't just write a good story without giving it a proper title, because that's the first thing you'll look and judge when you're about to read a fic. If the title lacks of creativity, I surelly won't read it; it's the first signal you get of the shortage of imagination from the person who wrote the story.
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Dragonite Ernston
I rival Lance's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourCartridge View Post
4) An overall "rushed" pace. Far too many otherwise interesting fanfics I've read had it ruined by the fic reading like it's going a mile a minute and skipping important things while doing so.
This is probably the one single thing that I see in almost every trainer fic I've read (or even written) that ruins them. It's not the Mary Sue characters, it's not the unrealistic Pokémon, it's not even the lack of consistency with canon; it's always just the fact that the writer doesn't seem to know how to make the plot flow well.

Perhaps it's because they want to model a story on a framework or avoid unnecessary details. But the framework does not make the story. And unnecessary details are what make a story interesting, so long as they're placed correctly.
Old June 24th, 2012, 06:56 AM
docowocool
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Lonely
Typos and grammar mistakes. They drive me insane. The only time they don't is when the story is amazing. Not often, in other words.
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:16 AM
psyanic
There's Something About Lamps

Nature: Bold
Well, good mechanics just make the story more readable, but the story itself is what your main focus really should be directed at. Of course, if the grammar is piss-poor, it'll be hard to read, which makes me not want to read them at all. Unfortunately, most fanfiction is written with bad grammar and usually a plethora of typos. But there are exceptions, such as a few writers that don't speak English as their first language, so them making grammatical mistakes is pretty understandable.
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:00 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Please don't bump threads over a month old, please.

Closing as this thread is already a remake to boot with that.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here