The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet Need help on your technology problems, whether your computer is malfunctioning, or you need help removing a virus? Perhaps you also want to chill and talk about the internet as a whole, too! Looks like you've come to the right place then!

View Poll Results: What web browser do you use?
Firefox 73 34.93%
Chrome 106 50.72%
Opera 12 5.74%
Internet Explorer 3 1.44%
Safari 11 5.26%
Other 4 1.91%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:13 PM
SuperUltraWolf
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Rash
Did you know the google chrome user agreement says they have the right to invade your privacy and access every site you visit, log into, post on, search on, download from and ip trace everything you do? think I'll keep kickin' it with Firefox
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:25 PM
AirSabin Bubblun
Inactive/personal problems

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUltraWolf View Post
Did you know the google chrome user agreement says they have the right to invade your privacy and access every site you visit, log into, post on, search on, download from and ip trace everything you do? think I'll keep kickin' it with Firefox
I think I noticed that also, even with Opera, I'm sure of it.... Thats why I chose Firefox.
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:33 PM
SuperUltraWolf
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbourne Bubblun View Post
I think I noticed that also, even with Opera, I'm sure of it.... Thats why I chose Firefox.
the windows version of safari says it cant legally be installed on windows
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
the windows version of safari says it cant legally be installed on windows
This was an obvious mistake that was corrected within weeks.
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:43 PM
SuperUltraWolf
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
This was an obvious mistake that was corrected within weeks.
but it still existed. I was just throwin that out there
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake

Quote:
but it still existed. I was just throwin that out there
Seeing as it's what happens when you just directly copy and paste the licencing agreements, I think I'd give Apple a free pass on this.

Google Chrome does have its own licence agreement when it comes to things like this; every single browser does have a licence agreement and a privacy statement.
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:21 PM
xSkullKing16x
Boo.

Nature: Lax
I would have to say Google Chrome. I have used Internet Explorer and it was godawful slow. I have used Mozilla Firefox before and I quite liked it, and it was fast. But Google Chrome is rather easier to use, and has some bonus' like the "New Tab" screen with your apps, the Google App store, the bookmarks, and the themes. Firefox still haas things similar, but not as easy and smooth. (I'm sorta picky haha)
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.

Nature: Modest
Quote:
I know. Don't really care at this stage. If you do, there's always Chromium or SRWare Iron the like. Same browser, different rules.
Quote:
Quote:
the windows version of safari says it cant legally be installed on windows <- Was in 2008 :/
This was an obvious mistake that was corrected within weeks almost a year
TIFIFY. :cer_laugh: Was still quite funny at the time. Safari for Windows is pretty useless. Very few addons and the Webkit engine is available on Chrome (and the like). Unless you're really into the Apple-style font smoothing.
Old April 28th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Gleam Noiyam
Bleeding sure is lovely.

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam
Firefox. I've always like Firefox best because of the "Inspect Element" tool. It comes in handy when I want to know if an image is a CSS image or just a plain image. And Firefox is faster and safer than IE. As for Chrome I don't like it because it never saved my tabs. Opera also falls in this category. And Netscape is evil. Worst thing I've ever used. So, yeah Firefox all the way.
Sheep and I fangirl about cute stuff too much. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old April 28th, 2012, 09:33 PM
MaddogSix
Comp. Programmer/Online Gamer

Nature: Jolly
Google Chrome is my fav! I used to use Firefox after my dad showed it to me a few years ago, but last year I started using Chrome because it's so much faster and safer, and easier to use
Old April 29th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake

OK, after some time spent with Opera 12 beta, I think I'm seriously considering switching browsers for now. It works so well when you think about it it also makes me feel at home when you consider the way fonts are rendered and other graphical stuff. Who knows, maybe my preferred browser will change pretty soon.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:50 AM
mastsethi
Beginning Trainer

Firefox is the best. It has the most number of themes, add-ons and plugins.
What more can you ask for.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:51 PM
Archenoth
The arch foe

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki's Sword View Post
Firefox. I've always like Firefox best because of the "Inspect Element" tool. It comes in handy when I want to know if an image is a CSS image or just a plain image. And Firefox is faster and safer than IE. As for Chrome I don't like it because it never saved my tabs. Opera also falls in this category. And Netscape is evil. Worst thing I've ever used. So, yeah Firefox all the way.
Well actually for tabs... That's a configuration thing in Opera... :V

Settings > Preferences > General and set "Startup" as "Continue From Last Time".

And the Inspect Element tool is in Chrome and Opera as well. It's pretty spiffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmorale View Post
Something about not being safe for download due to possible virus content...? (Norton :U)
Norton stops you from downloading software from a legitimate site? *sigh*
I wonder what other software it won't let you get?

Quote:
OK, after some time spent with Opera 12 beta, I think I'm seriously considering switching browsers for now. It works so well when you think about it it also makes me feel at home when you consider the way fonts are rendered and other graphical stuff. Who knows, maybe my preferred browser will change pretty soon.
Since Opera has an unholy amount of settings, is there anything that bugs you? I can point you to the places to change them.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
bwburke94
NEW RUN STARTS MAY 1! 000/721

Firefox. (No, I don't change the icon to a shiny Ninetales. Why do you ask?)

3DS Friend Code: 0645 5804 7602

Just because I have Asperger's, people think I'm stupid.
I'm not. I'm just a little crazy sometimes.
OK, a lot crazy all the time.

My romhacks and Essentials games are on hold until Essentials is updated.
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Renyui!
mesc

Chrome. It's shiny and witty.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:48 AM
Forever

Chrome! I don't know how long I've been using it, idk I'm guessing around 2 years? But it's definitely better than Firefox, which lags, though I'm fine with Safari on my iPhone. HOWEVER, I really love inspect element on Chrome. Except Chrome lags, but not to the extent that Firefox does. XD;

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:59 AM
Ivysaur
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Ivysaur
I use Firefox for the customizability (I have a ridiculous amount of add-ons and plug-ins and I'd find it really hard to survive without most of them XD), with Chrome as a back-up in case there are any problems.

FIGHT.PKMN
ITEM..RUN

Atleti / Liverpool 2014
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:15 AM
Dr.Kotov
& the symptoms.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dr.Kotov
Chrome for the start-up speed and simplicity. I have Firefox, IE9 & IE10 installed on this netbook as well and I utilise IE10 when I'm using the metro interface, or just have to look up something or do a swift search.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
ShadowStriatonTriad
Shadow Triad Elite

Nature: Bold
Mozilla FireFox runs most smoothly on my modem, with nice transition speed and a taste of success. I have to admit it is my favorite; but for more paper-work related stuff, I use Chrome.

Don't leave comrades behind.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

I use Firefox on all my computers. I've tried multiple times to switch to Chrome because I'm not too terribly happy with the performance/stability/speed of Firefox but I honestly just can't. :( There's one extension in Firefox that I absolutely adore and cannot live without: Tab Mix Plus. There are so many little features in it that I haven't been able to replicate exactly in Chrome. The most important of these is probably changing the style of (especially unread) tabs. There was no equal for this last time I tried to switch so I just couldn't do it. I was back on Firefox within a few days. I used to use a LOT of extensions which was the main reason I never switched but now I've realized it's really just that one that I need.

I do use Opera and Chrome on their own fairly often but I definitely prefer Firefox overall. I absolutely hate Safari though and I won't use it even on my mac. :P (And windows is right out because iirc they still do the weird font-smoothing thing? I hate Apple font-smoothing even natively on my mac. Don't want it on Windows. <_<)

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
voltianqueen
WITH SEAWATER

Firefox! :D I've never really had any problems with it!

When I was younger, we had IE and even Netscape at some point... Ugh, those days... So many errors. After my aunt introduced me to Firefox I have never changed.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
twocows
Penguin

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
If only. Version 12 is out, with 13 in beta already. I believe 4 gets security update, IIRC, but it doesn't stop it being a bloated mess compared to the newer versions.

Been trying out the Opera Beta. It's nice enough, but I just can't see any compelling reason to use it over Chrome or Firefox.
It's got one nice feature for me, and that's selective loading of images. For some reason, I always have internet problems of some sort. When that happens, I have to resort to dial-up. This feature's a lifesaver when you're on dial-up.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
CarcharOdin

Nature: Naughty
Google Chrome.

It always runs fastest for me. But I do use Firefox from time to time.
Old May 27th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Jamais
«c'est presque temps»

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
Google Chrome.

It always runs fastest for me. But I do use Firefox from time to time.
This is basically the same for me. I don't tend to use a bunch of toolbars and add-ons, so I just prefer the speed of Chrome to other browsers. The only time I really use Firefox is if I'm on a website that has better compability with it.

Old May 27th, 2012, 03:35 AM
electro12
Unhatched Egg

I use Chrome for its fast loading time. I originally used Internet Explorer but it was too slow for me. Then I downloaded Chrome and installed it. Since then, I have been using Chrome.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links