Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's Emotional Depth

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Closed Thread

Old February 19th, 2012 (06:19 PM).
Aspiring Trainer

Nature: Jolly
When you compare the Mystery Dungeon series to the Core Games, There is really no comparison between which game is more emotionally involved. The heart wrenching story line is unparalleled in any other Pokemon game. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness holds the record of the only video game I have ever played that has brought a tear to my eye, and before playing this game I would never have imagined that any Pokemon game would have been able to do that. I would love to see the same kind of depth carried over to the core series of Pokemon games.

What do you guys think about the depth, did you cry or feel sad when you first played it through, or did you not find it very in-depth, or did you simply think the depth is not something that belongs in Pokemon games. Share your thoughts.
Old February 20th, 2012 (12:35 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
I must say, you are right.
The emotional story in MDs could not even be compared to the stories of main games.
I think I did get a little emotional after finishing first ending in MD Blue.
But I wasn't so touched in other MDs even though their stories were even more emotional... Guess I was already prepared for it =D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old February 23rd, 2012 (12:26 AM).
Page of Breath

Nature: Docile
Tears fell on my ds....So i had to clean that up.
Old February 23rd, 2012 (01:06 AM).
The arch foe

Nature: Lonely
Minor spoilers follow, so if you haven't beaten the game, don't click this.
Spoiler:
Yeah... The ending was really sad. Although a bit cliché. I hadn't played many games before I played Mystery Dungeon 2 though so I was not expecting it in the least.

It was bitter ending... And I'll admit that I cried when I played it.

My team mate missed me so much, and I missed him too. I thought that it was actually a very good way to end too. I was actually disappointed when they ruined the bitter ending with a revival like they did.
Old February 23rd, 2012 (11:26 AM).
Wrong Thread.

Nature: Hardy
PMD2 has one of the most emotional attaching stories out of any games I've played, despite being Pokemon. It starts it off by bringing you in as the pokemon that best represents your personality and gives you a "best friend" of which whom you go out on fun adventures with and you slowly build yourself new friends along those adventures from the various dungeons you explore and in the Guild itself. Then as the plot goes on you get even more attached and the music that goes with the cutscenes really sets the mood.

Old February 27th, 2012 (01:50 AM).
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
PMD is one of the most emotional games by far. Very few have quite managed to attain what PMD managed to possess. The ability to move people to tears even if it is their nth time of playing it.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old March 18th, 2012 (08:09 PM).
OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!

Nature: Quirky
I cried. Hard. I cried when I beat emerald (I was young and didn't understand I would get to play after *Dur*) but with mystery dungeon.....on red rescue team, I couldn't bare to finish the final dungeon, I commited sucide on the 3rd floor just so I didn't have to leave my buddy who I had adventured with and had been there for me when no one else would accept me.....little did I know I would be coming back >_< Needless to say, I've learned, but it impacted me emotionaly.

Old March 23rd, 2012 (08:58 PM). Edited March 24th, 2012 by Tyrantrum.
ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Oh lord, how I love Mystery Dungeon to death! It's so emotional; all of my tears and feels go to that game. ;w; The first PMD games were sad and made me cry, but the next three made me want to just cry forever. The ending is just so heartbreaking, I could not control my sadness. Plus, the storyline for the second PMD games was simply amazing! So many twists within the plot; I just love these games so much. <3 I sincerely hope that Nintendo makes another PMD game, and when they do, they need to make it just as amazing and emotional as Time/Darkness/Sky or maybe even sadder because I love torturing myself by crying.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Twitter
Previously Eeveon
Old March 24th, 2012 (02:23 AM).

Quote originally posted by Outkin:
I cried. Hard. I cried when I beat emerald (I was young and didn't understand I would get to play after *Dur*) but with mystery dungeon.....on red rescue team, I couldn't bare to finish the final dungeon, I commited sucide on the 3rd floor just so I didn't have to leave my buddy who I had adventured with and had been there for me when no one else would accept me.....little did I know I would be coming back >_< Needless to say, I've learned, but it impacted me emotionaly.
wow. total hardcore. Even if I am sad, i could not bear to commit suicide on any floor. I man, just think of the items, the money! Red rescue team has some problem with losing.

But yeah. When Sky Tower was finished, and I turned into the ball of light, I drifted into space.... Yeah, I couldn't help it. I broke into tears, young and all. I knew that I was going to play afterwards, since I read reviews and summaries before I play, but still. You could feel your partner's pain as you fly as a light.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Old March 24th, 2012 (07:52 AM).
Silver Tier

I only have played Red and Blue, the first two mystery dungeon games. I agree with you when you say they are more emotionally involved than the main games. I didn't cry, but I felt something at some points in the games.
Old March 28th, 2012 (10:48 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
Depth doesn't belong in any game. It ruins me for weeks

But really, in all seriousness, this was probably the only game that has kept my attention. Other games like CoD (and even the Main Pokémon games) have just slipped out of my attention, but this is the only one that actually has some value to me.

I loved it so much...but the weird thing is, upon beating it my first thought was "how can I top this story?" instead of "omigoshowsad"

ALTHOUGH I thought the "don't let anyone else do this again" part was a little off...Who exactly "stopped time and caused so much trouble"?

And then, wow, the Extras! SOOO MUCH WIN and sad...but some of them were comical, and that's always fun when you're not being drained of all your emotion.

Old March 29th, 2012 (09:28 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Archenoth:
Minor spoilers follow, so if you haven't beaten the game, don't click this.
Spoiler:
Yeah... The ending was really sad. Although a bit cliché. I hadn't played many games before I played Mystery Dungeon 2 though so I was not expecting it in the least.

It was bitter ending... And I'll admit that I cried when I played it.

My team mate missed me so much, and I missed him too. I thought that it was actually a very good way to end too. I was actually disappointed when they ruined the bitter ending with a revival like they did.
I agree. The ending was sad and they kinda messed it up with the revival thing but could you imagine if they just let you die? You wouldn't be able to continue the game, then everyone would whine. It would Fallout 3 all over again. It's good they let you play after. IMO
Old March 29th, 2012 (03:29 PM).
Banned

Nature: Brave
I cried a couple of times while playing Explorers of Darkness, so the emotional depth is definitely there.
Old March 30th, 2012 (03:01 AM).
karp karp karp
Crystal Tier

The only part that I found sad was when Grovyle brought Dusknoir back with him to the future, sacrificing himself. Other than when the main character dies, that's the only sad part I can think of.
Old March 30th, 2012 (06:12 AM).
Is Confused.

Nature: Gentle
I cried when we became fugitives especially since the music was so quiet. It was just so sad. And when the main character had to leave and he/she wished to come back, I had to cry.

Challenges in progress:
Monotype Rock
Boldore Lv. 33 Dwebble Lv. 32 Tirtouga Lv. 32
I need to update faster...
Old March 30th, 2012 (08:45 PM).
A Promise To Return

I remember first playing Red after my brother had blue. Damn release dates in Australia two months after my birthday when i already spent my money -.- ahah

When i beat the game and it was telling me to wish really hard i remember my brother yelling at me "WISH BOY! WISH!!" It was quite an emotional storyline indeed.
Old March 31st, 2012 (05:54 AM).
We'll get to that tomorrow

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nearsighted king of Ice Send a message via Yahoo to Nearsighted king of Ice
Well yeah MD is kinda emotional the only main series game that ever came close to (for me) being as emotional as MD is HG then again that's just me pretending to my pokemon and stuff like that. but MD specially explorers of sky where grovyle's your friend from the future and stuff kinda tugged at the heartstrings.

Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?

Black FC: 1592-5761-9212
Pokemon X FC: 2921-9174-9000
Old March 31st, 2012 (06:02 AM).

Quote originally posted by GreenGoblin:
Well yeah MD is kinda emotional the only main series game that ever came close to (for me) being as emotional as MD is HG then again that's just me pretending to my pokemon and stuff like that. but MD specially explorers of sky where grovyle's your friend from the future and stuff kinda tugged at the heartstrings.
What is HG? HeartGold?

The moment where Grovyle sacrificed himself is really emotional. I mean, the characters have chased him down, hunted him, battled him, even made some very serious false accusations (unknowingly of course) against him, but in the end, all he still thinks of is the welfare of his partner. The form may have had changed, but Grovyle's care and respect for his human-turned-mon partner is still there, and it transcends looks. Certainly one of the bravest characters Pokemon had ever created.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Old March 31st, 2012 (11:40 AM).
Video Game Creator

I always loved MD series. When I first started to play the first one, I didn't put it down until I beat it. I literally played the game for over 12 hours because I loved it so much. For some reason my friends didn't like the game as much as the core games but I would still always try to get them to play MD with me. I was really happy when they made explorers of sky. I also loved how after you beat the story you had a couple other post game stories to challenge yourself with.
Old April 1st, 2012 (03:24 PM).

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness was the first Pokemon game I had the pleasure of playing. It does give the characters a lot more emotional depth and personality than other Pokemon games. The focus of 'catching them all' is not really important here, and so you have a lot more time left for character development. I remember that the first time I beat the game, I cried at the emotional ending. The second time I beat it, I cried. I'm about to beat it for a third time, and I'm still probably going to cry. (Yeah, I admit it; the only requirement for being cool is not looking at explosions you cause, right?)
Old April 2nd, 2012 (01:23 PM).
Friendly Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to TEAM BLUE
I love the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series!!!XD Although I Do think that all the games end kind of sad... Well until you come back of course.

Although I Know everyone could agree that in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers Of Sky the special episode "Igglybuff The Prodigy" is VERY sad...Made me cry...
Spoiler:
When Armaldo got arrested and Igglybuff kept crying nooo..

Old April 4th, 2012 (10:06 AM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
I agree, this game actually does pull your heartstrings a bit. I mean, it's no Mother 3; I wasn't BAWLING at the end, but it did give me that weird fuzzy "I think I'm going to cry" feeling.

hobbies include playin' terits and huggin' diddy kong
Old April 5th, 2012 (01:40 AM).
Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!

Yeah, this game is definitely much sad more emotional (I guess) than the other Pkmn games. I think it's because in the game, you are actually the pokemon; you can actually experience how these creatures felt when they depart and etc.

But, for some reason, I never cried while playing a MD game......Maybe I should take my DS out and play it one more time ;;

......What are you staring at?
Old April 5th, 2012 (02:05 AM).

Its really emotionally deep
i cried on both the ending of blue rescue team and explorers of darkness
I wish they could make a regular pokemon game with as much emotion and interesting plot that would be the ultimate pokemon game
Old April 6th, 2012 (09:14 PM).
Is Confused.

Nature: Gentle
This game and this song has made me start tearing up whenever I hear this song, a remix of it, or a song with just part of the melody. The only other song that's done this is Emotion from B/W. For me, B/W was the only main-series game that even tried to come close to how emotional PMD was.

Challenges in progress:
Monotype Rock
Boldore Lv. 33 Dwebble Lv. 32 Tirtouga Lv. 32
I need to update faster...
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links