The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central > Spinoff Games

Notices

Spinoff Games If it isn't in the main series of Pokémon games, it goes here (games such as Mystery Dungeon, Colosseum, XD, and so on.)

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:21 PM
MagnumKnight13
Beginning Trainer

Advertise here
Funny story bout that. When playing Explorers of Darkness, I cried at the end when I started to disappear. I thought the game ended there, so I turned off my game and pretended like I never played. Like I erased my file and everything. Then, when I was on another forum, I saw what happened at the end and played it all over again...I still cried
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:53 AM
MagikarpFTW
Pokemon Master

Nature: Lax
I have to admit when I completed the first ending on my Red Rescue Team it was actually sad and it made me feel sad even though I'm not one of those people who get that sad about things like video games. Explorers of Sky was also a bit as well just that it didn't have the same effect on me as the last one as much but it still was a sad moment.
Old April 27th, 2012, 04:38 AM
fuz
Beginning Trainer

I liked MD because you really were the Pokemon. I felt for my team, I thought it was really cute how all your Pokemon were friends too.
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:11 PM
cyndaqwilfish:)
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Mild
I always cry at the endings... they are really sad, and I think the plot was really good in all of them (or at t=least the two I played.)
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:06 PM
FrozenQuilava
Aspiring Game Dev

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to FrozenQuilava
Its good to read through these replies and know that I am not alone in my thinking.
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:53 AM
ReleaseYourPokemon
Pokemon Liberater

I would much rather have Mystery Dungeon games instead of all these new not so great spin offs.
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:40 PM
benuc184

I'll be honest, after beating Primal-Dialga, I was bawling. It was so sad!! And after beating Rayquaza in first PMD.
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Kyrul
Long Live The Note
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I'm a guy, and currently serving in the Army, and I'll admit it made me want to cry. That's why these games were so great though. They were the only pokemon games that had a touching storyline. I surely hope they make more of these games! I would hate to see this series end D:
Old May 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM
SilentShadow
Agent of Mystery

During the first game I never cried, though I still found the ending really sad.

Mystery Dungeon 2 was much worse. [Event In Spoilers]
Spoiler:
Dusknoir Drags Hero into the Dark future.

That event gave me nightmares for weeks. Whenever I played though it I would always have to play another game to take my mind off it. Whenever a game with the 'evil dark villain' shows up, I get scared.

The next one was [Event in Spoiler]
Spoiler:
Groyvile's sacrifice

This event made me cry so much when I first went through it, the character depth he had reminded me of myself. For him to make a move such as bold, and after everything he went though, tears flooded my eyes.

I played Sky recently, went through the same event... I was still teary eyed

But Still Come Join Me In The Darkness...

And I WOULD Put A Better Picture If I Knew How To Edit Better...
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Frazzevous
I wanna build a snowman~
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Bashful
When I first played PMD 1 and 2, I cried when the hero and partner began to separate. I think I still did when I restarted with Sky... those games were quite emotional, all right.

Old June 1st, 2012, 08:40 AM
Dying Light
Pegasus Knight

Nature: Hardy
Alright, I am not the only one who thinks PMD is deeper than the "gotta catch 'em all" tradition!

If I had to pick a part out of the whole game in PMD 2: EoD that was deeply moving, it's at the following part. Note: I copied from Wikipedia because I beat the story awhile ago, but forgot some core elements. I only remembered some parts.
Spoiler:
Meanwhile, the partner succeeds in activating the Rainbow Stoneship, by putting their relic fragment in it, but Dusknoir manages to recover and attack the player before either the player or Grovyle is on board. Just as Dusknoir tries to finish off the player, Grovyle intervenes, taking the blow. Dusknoir angrily decides to slay Grovyle first, but in a move of desperation, Grovyle pushes Dusknoir towards the Dimensional Hole, hoping that in his own defense of the player, Grovyle will ensure the success of the mission. Dropping the Time Gears, Grovyle pushes Dusknoir and himself through the Dimensional Hole, but not without giving his last goodbye. The partner recovers the Time Gears, and the team proceed on the Rainbow Stoneship, with the player keeping silent to the partner about his/her fate. With a heavy heart, the team head towards Temporal Tower to take on their final mission.

Lastly, my most favorite part about the game besides it's story was the music. Especially at the part...
Spoiler:
...when you fight Primal Dialga. His boss battle music is so invigorating! Click here for the song on YouTube.

“Our only limits are the ones we place on ourselves.”
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM
Alphos
Beginning Trainer

The music is key. If they played the happy, adventurous stuff like the mainstreams, it'd lose a lot of it's built up emotion. Also, the fact that the pokemon can talk and communicate for once immediately gives them depth and personality, and you therefore actually care about them.
Old June 4th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Paulo27ms

PMD is one of those games that you'll remenber forever, last time I actually finished a pokemon game (or even got involved with something pokemon related) was when I finished Pokemon Black & White, back in 2010, and now I came across a youtube video about PMD and dam... had to look up if there was any new games :\, normal pokemon games don't really interest me that much, but this sort of games, games that will make you think about life... are just those that no one can miss out on.

And yes, a couple tears came to my eyes during the end of all the games, and even now as I'm writing this, I remenber the days, oh... will have to play it again soon... really soon... T_T.
Old June 6th, 2012, 01:24 AM
miltankRancher
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphos View Post
The music is key. If they played the happy, adventurous stuff like the mainstreams, it'd lose a lot of it's built up emotion. Also, the fact that the pokemon can talk and communicate for once immediately gives them depth and personality, and you therefore actually care about them.
This. I also think that the music is the key, as the producers managed to find just the right music per scene, especially those special effects (like the light glowing at the end of PMD1)

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:49 AM
8bitSilence
"I HAVE FURY!"

PMD 2 had a very emotional story. It was one of the only games that seriously brought tears to my eyes.
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Paulo27ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltankRancher View Post
This. I also think that the music is the key, as the producers managed to find just the right music per scene, especially those special effects (like the light glowing at the end of PMD1)
I got to the point where I could hear to "A Wish For Peace" once again and man... it broke me to pieces.
http://www.youtube.com/user/EMSPaulo27

Awesome Game
Old June 17th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Nerketur
PokéScripter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM BLUE View Post
I love the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series!!!XD Although I Do think that all the games end kind of sad... Well until you come back of course.

Although I Know everyone could agree that in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers Of Sky the special episode "Igglybuff The Prodigy" is VERY sad...Made me cry...
Spoiler:
When Armaldo got arrested and Igglybuff kept crying nooo..

Ohyes. Yes indeed.

PMD is one of those games that can make me cry literally every time. The groovyle part I don't find as sad as some perople do... but when you
Spoiler:
start to disappear and your partner almost can't take it...
...Oh boy... It's so sad. That part... has gotten me to cry every single freaking time I play it, or even just look through the script text. D= Making a tool is hard sometimes when you go through nostalgia with the game script. At one point, I started, but then refused to go on, moving to a different portion of the script to tackle.

In all honesty, the PMD series in general is why I'm still a huge Pokémon fan at all, now.

It makes you wonder, though... What would have happened... if you (the hero) never became a Pokémon? The story would certainly be different. Very different. I've begun to ponder that. If you never became a Pokémon, or if you never lost your memories. In all, it would still boil down to that timid Pokemon who found a relic Fragment. But it would be a very different story.

Hacks I support 100% (MUST SEE!):

Very well made hacks:

My work:
Figuring out scripting in PMD
Entire script map of LeafGreen
PMDSE (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Script Editor)
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Ninjagon
Back from a break.

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Ninjagon
What an amazing yet emotional game. The saddest part was when grovyle left. Sky and Blue remain the only games to bring tears to my eyes. The partner, still edgy and shaky, tries to get the player to finish it, finish it for Grovyle. The music did not help at all, and their little character faces in the box didn't either. To see little tears under pikachu's eyes destroyed me. I wasn't bawling my eyes out though.

There aren't many Lions left in the world now, yet poachers still exist. Even though it is illegal it still happens. Don't have anything to do with poaching - Take pride in your actions (pun intended)
Old June 18th, 2012, 04:02 AM
PKMNTRNCha0tic
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archenoth View Post
Minor spoilers follow, so if you haven't beaten the game, don't click this.
Spoiler:
Yeah... The ending was really sad. Although a bit cliché. I hadn't played many games before I played Mystery Dungeon 2 though so I was not expecting it in the least.

It was bitter ending... And I'll admit that I cried when I played it.

My team mate missed me so much, and I missed him too. I thought that it was actually a very good way to end too. I was actually disappointed when they ruined the bitter ending with a revival like they did.
Spoiler:
But then you would just get a game-over screen since you,the main character,died
Old June 26th, 2012, 07:20 AM
MrFantasy
Mysterious Trainer

The first time I played through Pokemon MD Explorers of time/darkness/sky (Played and beat them all) I did cry. Every time. It really is an emotional game especially for Pokemon. I'd like to see some aspect of this carry into the main games. Especially the unique story that goes with it. The main games could use something more then "OK you've got your pokedex, your first Pokemon and 5 pokeballs now go into the world." At least that's my opinion.
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I really like PMD and especially because they all have the same essential idea but it all plays out completely different.

(Spoilers) You're a human who becomes a Pokemon, form a Rescue/Exploration team with someone, there's a bully team, you somehow become involved in something bigger, you figure out why/how you've transformed, final exploration, you disappear.

However when I think of the two games I don't even think of these as similar other than being the same type of game, really. They're just so cool because Gamefreak could create another world really and basically do what they want, and the storyline really involves you. You know what's going to happen at the end (or at least not when you're playing for the first time, but..) but still you don't know how it's going to get there and you're still sad at the end.

(lol I have a lot to say)

I also like how after the Final Mission there's always more of the "storyline" c:

I've always wondered how you even became a human in that world. Like, wouldn't you have parents and wouldn't being in a world full of Pokemon and just you as a human (assuming) be weird? idk
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:37 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
I don't know what a Mystery Dungeon is, but after reading this... I Must Buy One.

(just reading your comments are making me cry.)
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowpointQuincy View Post
I don't know what a Mystery Dungeon is, but after reading this... I Must Buy One.

(just reading your comments are making me cry.)
You don't know what MDs are?!
Oh man, you are missing the best of Pokémon!

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
SD.
B E N N I N G T O N

Nature: Relaxed
from the first day i seen pokemon on tv, which is A LONG time ago
i cried

especially during the scene of ash and pikachu getting attacked by those bird pokemon

and in overall i easily can get myself crying just by looking at commercials where they show how animals get abused....

so yeah
i cried a little when i played explorers of time
i find all the pokemon stories , especially these ones yeah
very touching <3

GIVE ME THE STRENGHT OF THE RISING SUN
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Kima
Unhatched Egg

I cried at the ending of Explorers of Sky. I have never cried because of a video game or even a book before. It was the flashback that did it.
I was amazed at how emotional that game got me. I was so relieved when my Eevee came back though.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here