The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post
The castform is just...ugh. Needs work. Work on the outlining, tail, and head.

From left to right: Hoppiler, Rollip, Suckeeto, Tuttby, and Coyoco.
One thing I notice instantly is that the outlining in general is dark. And I mean really dark. While I understand the newer style of sprites does generally have dark(er) outlines too, yours are a bit too excessive. I mean, Coyoco for instance is a great example. The wings still use a dark grey outline and a black/darker grey outline. Here's Yanmega from B/W
Even Yanmega's wings are lighter. If you want to emulate Game Freak's style, Yanma and Yanmega are great examples for fly-like Pokemon.

The shading ranges from being used quite effectively (e.g.: Sucketto- the head has been done pretty well imo) to a bit excessive which kinda ruins it. Again, looking at you Coyoco. The head and back with the light, medium and dark shades are just unnecessary imo, and I think removing the lightest shade would help make it a little more natural. I even thought it was reminiscent of pillow-shading (I know it's not, don't worry ) at a first glance.

One last thing I'd like to mention is that really the Pokemon shouldn't be directly facing the player- rather they should be alligned to the left. Goppiler for instance is obviously facing the completely wrong direction, and Rollip and Suckeeto succumb to this problem a little bit. Suckeeto probably could get away from it but it's probably best if you move the eyes a few pixels to the left and maybe align the ears a little to the left too. Rollip seems to be completely gacing the player however.

The only Pokemon I can reaaaaally think of that is strictly facing the player is Clefairy:

However, this was just for one pair of games and in the subsequent generation it was again completely facing the left so... :\

It's an iffy one but I would advise that all Pokemon should be faced to the left in the future.

Anyways, I do really like the designs! :D They're very unique (a grasshopper Pokemon? Yes, just yes :D) and I do like your style apart from the issues I mentioned. Tuttby, for instance, really emulates the newer Pokemon's styles well and I really like it. :D Keep up the spriting!

----

Anyway, I revamped one of my earlier Pokemon. While I do not have an image of it on its own, it is part of this FakeDex: http://superjub.deviantart.com/art/N...ATED-301887976 It's the turtle with the blue shell. Anyway, I decided it was a bit bland, boring etc. so I tried to spruce it up a bit with BRIGHTER COLOURS (!!! :DDD) and a different shell. It also has an official name now (Tortosus) so yeah.

Tortosus (tortoise & colossus)
The Tortoise Pokemon
Water/Rock
"The huge shell on Tortosus' back is used for surprise attacks and camouflage from predators."
---
C&C is appreciated! :D

Pokémon Aureolin

Old May 30th, 2013, 08:14 AM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Nature: Calm
I'm trying to improve on the outlining, as Suckeeto is the only one I'm iffy on, aside from Tuttby.

Regarding shading and facing directions, this is based off of existing fakemon artwork, so I'm trying to be accurate with the shading/facing direction. If a Pokemon is facing to the right, I generally flip it to the left, so Hoppiler will be facing towards the left in-game.

Tortosus looks nice. The shading on the body looks a tad too dittered, (don't do that, unless your going for GB/GBC style), but everything else looks really.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDestitute View Post
I'm trying to improve on the outlining, as Suckeeto is the only one I'm iffy on, aside from Tuttby.

Regarding shading and facing directions, this is based off of existing fakemon artwork, so I'm trying to be accurate with the shading/facing direction. If a Pokemon is facing to the right, I generally flip it to the left, so Hoppiler will be facing towards the left in-game.

Tortosus looks nice. The shading on the body looks a tad too dittered, (don't do that, unless your going for GB/GBC style), but everything else looks really.
Thank you. :D Yeah, you're not the first person to tell me I use dithering too much. xD I have tried to cut down, and will try and cut down some more in the future. Funnily enough, it's more of a newerthing since when I started spriting and for a long time I used very little but then found out I liked it a lot and kinda used it excessively. xD Oh well, I'll stick to smoother shading in the future. :>

Pokémon Aureolin

Old June 2nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
Taratos
Unhatched Egg

Is there any way to show you some things I made or do I need to spam 14 more posts until I can finally post a picture/url/link? If yes - big minus point to this website... and then I will do it like this (or will this cause a ban or something similiar?):

taratos.deviantart.com/art/Venusaur-336982617
(just c&p)

good night!
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:08 AM
F13rC Pulse

My Tumbleweed Pokemon's first stage, Musdkal, uses a couple of the colors from the ordinary and shiny Swadloon.
The latest version is what I think is very presentable, but perhaps some suggestions on the shading and color decisions I made would be of some help.

What of the pose and size?
Tell me whether you find them unique.

I've included the earlier Sprite (my second sprite, too big and facing the wrong direction) for comparison since these are very recently made from when my interest in making them sparked up.
The newer one is my fourth sprite, improved from an on-the-fly design change with shading and a pose I didn't like, but I think it looks more like a Pokemon.

Please tell me if you think I've succeeded in that dynamic.
Except for the "eyes," which are sensory organs made visible through open slits on its "face," though if you feel they clash a bit much I'll do my best to fix them up a bit.

I am new at this so my pool of experience is a bit shallow and my familiarity with some terms may be lackluster.
I plan on creating my own showcase, then Fakedex when I have enough sprites made.

Edit:
Finished my second Fakemon!
Second stage evolution, Shudthistl, I'm generally happy about.
Had trouble with the outline coloring, I accept the shading mostly, but I don't think it is as solid as my previous work.

The limbs are tough to agree on, being all narrow and such.
Perhaps I should remove one of the colors from the upper body so I can prevent the thorns from being entirely black on their outlines.

Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: png SeedSprite1.png‎ (1.2 KB, 183 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png Musdkal.png‎ (4.4 KB, 181 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png Shudthistl.png‎ (5.1 KB, 175 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by F13rC Pulse; June 7th, 2013 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Second stage added
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:47 PM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
Taratos,
Your Venusaur is almost perfect, but you used too many shades of every color & made it look less like a sprite, instead you could just reduce the number of shades per color & dither a bit like you did in the flower, which is fine for me, also a bit of contrast please. The shadow beneath the chin is somewhat not going with the light source, which was supposed to be from the back (the worst place for a light source tbh).
Other than that the sprite is fine, the shadow around the background is not needed & should be removed.
I'll post the picture for you

F13rC Pulse,
The far right sprite is good (the humanoid thingy), somewhat small but good. I don't have anything else to add so maybe a pro will find some flaws in it & tell us lol
As for the other 2 I think you could use colors with a bit more contrast, also adjust the light source and the outlines around the tentacles & the red thingies. Other than that I see no problems with your sprites & good luck with your future works.

Last edited by AnonygooseD; June 17th, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:53 AM
reshilegend
Let's find the key we've lost

Send a message via Skype™ to reshilegend
I just started with spriting so I basically have no experience, but I tried to sprite one of my fakemon anyways lol.
(x2 the original sprite size)
What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: png birdspritebig.PNG‎ (1.5 KB, 4 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by reshilegend; June 20th, 2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 01:44 AM
Bryancct
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Relaxed
@F13rC Pulse
Great improvement from your previous version of Musdkal! I find the pose and size of Musdkal fine, though Shudthistl looks a bit small compared to other sprites (I used Cacturne for size reference). There's also a bit of inconsistency with shading on Shudthistl.

@reshilegend
Very nice job for your first try! Interesting concept for a bird type fakemon, and great job for not overdoing your color palette. I suggest working on shading and outlining, also you can check out a couple of bird pokemon like Starly or Taillow for bird's feet and tail reference.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 02:01 AM
reshilegend
Let's find the key we've lost

Send a message via Skype™ to reshilegend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancct View Post
Very nice job for your first try! Interesting concept for a bird type fakemon, and great job for not overdoing your color palette. I suggest working on shading and outlining, also you can check out a couple of bird pokemon like Starly or Taillow for bird's feet and tail reference.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to improve my shading and outlining.
I actually used Starly's and Pidove's sprite as a reference for the body but didn't really pay attention to the feet or tails too much. Will work on that as well.
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:19 AM
ares10
I'm in The Marines, OOH RA

Nature: Brave
Armored Mewtwo sprite:

Moorwen from the movie Outlander:

Balrog from The Lord of The Rings:

Hacks I support:
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

@ares10
It's best to save pixel art in the .png or the .gif format, especially the former. Just to clarify, this place is for posting original and scratch work.
Old June 28th, 2013, 09:39 PM
F13rC Pulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancct View Post
@F13rC Pulse
Great improvement from your previous version of Musdkal! I find the pose and size of Musdkal fine, though Shudthistl looks a bit small compared to other sprites (I used Cacturne for size reference). There's also a bit of inconsistency with shading on Shudthistl.
Thanks for the approval of my Musdkal, I don't think there is anything that needs changing on it.

Exactly how big can I make Shudthistl?
I'm going for a Firered sprite size, so I may have picked the wrong dimensions for its max size.

I agree about the shading and I'm definitely going to look into picking better colors for it.
Old June 29th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Nature: Adamant
Hey there, guys.

I'm back again with my latest sprite, Chioras. I need some help with the outlines, again. Hopefully, the sprite itself is decent...

Old June 29th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Logiedan

The pose is great, Viv. The outlines are actually the main problem, as it appears to be very jagged due to the anti-aliasing. I don't think it's required to have it there and if you do want it, there are more smoother and simpler ways.

First of all, I've only fixed up most of the head, I'll leave the rest for you! :D

In the B/W style usually colours are dark and all but they consist of:
  • a base colour
  • one shade
  • a darker shade mainly for outline
That means that the one shade can be used in various ways such as anti-aliasing along black outlines, or brighter sel-out and mainly to shade. You have a lot of black outline which is understandable because of the B/W dark style, but you can use that darker shade to outline the parts the light source touches and create a more smoother outline.

The pose and outline is great, most you could do is pay attention to your light source and your selective-outlining. If you would like I can show you what I would do to fix up the whole sprite or the bottom half.

Old June 29th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
The pose is great, Viv. The outlines are actually the main problem, as it appears to be very jagged due to the anti-aliasing. I don't think it's required to have it there and if you do want it, there are more smoother and simpler ways.

First of all, I've only fixed up most of the head, I'll leave the rest for you! :D

In the B/W style usually colours are dark and all but they consist of:
  • a base colour
  • one shade
  • a darker shade mainly for outline
That means that the one shade can be used in various ways such as anti-aliasing along black outlines, or brighter sel-out and mainly to shade. You have a lot of black outline which is understandable because of the B/W dark style, but you can use that darker shade to outline the parts the light source touches and create a more smoother outline.

The pose and outline is great, most you could do is pay attention to your light source and your selective-outlining. If you would like I can show you what I would do to fix up the whole sprite or the bottom half.

I'd really appreciate you showing me, Logie.

I keep switching styles; it's either HG/SS or Black and White. I'm just not too keen on the outlines, if they were just solid black, I'm sure I'd be fine. xD; I'm still trying to learn and it seems outlining and anti-aliasing just get me. Hmm, I'll try to give it another shot later on... I'll practice with this one.
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I just missed Elaynii's sprite ;;

Anyway I'll show you the latest thing in my workshahp!!!

i don't vant anyone to steal this plz dont
can u plz comment i have a lot to learn

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old June 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Papajones33

i only got 1 its called T-Red (ha playing on t-rex cos hes red XD) so please rate it and tell me wot i need to improve it coz i no it's not the best. but i still think its really good.

please dont steal because i know my sprite is good but it is mine!

guys seriously halp me. my brother says my sprite is crap so i need help too make it better

Last edited by Papajones33; June 30th, 2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:08 AM
Sunfished
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nature: Lax
You know, if you really want to know if it's well done, just compare yours with an official Pokemon sprite, and ask yourself,
"Does mine look good, or at least decent, compared to this other one?"

Maybe if you made it a little less "messy" and applied at least some small shading, it would look a bit more decent for other people, like your brother
And do you notice the outline?
Usually, the outline isn't just drawn and left like that. It's usually gone over to remove some inconsistencies and screw-ups.

And here's a great link to better explain what I'm saying :D
http://www.dragonflycave.com/recoloring.aspx

It's near the middle, and the title is "scratch sprites"
Old July 1st, 2013, 01:38 PM
Papajones33

ah yes i see. here's my new one, as u can see i used shading this time and tidyed up the lines a bit. wot do u think?

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:29 PM
Logiedan

Sorry, Papajones33. To have your own thread, you require at least 4 scratch/original pixel art pieces. Here are some basic tips to help you; most of which Sunfished has already said:
  • Clean outlines like Pokemon sprites do
  • Shading
  • More thought out designs and concepts (sketch them out with ideas!)
  • Look at existing work to guide you
  • Use references for poses
  • Use colours from Pokemon sprites that you can get from this link to help you out with basic palettes
There's more that can be said and hopefully others can help ya out. You can check out Chesu's tutorials as well!
Old July 1st, 2013, 09:03 PM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

How about this?
I fixed her claws and tried to fix her frills... I'm sure the outline is still messed up.
Old July 7th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Logiedan

The outline is actually a great improvement and much better from before. Another factor you have to pay attention to is palette diversity and colour count. Not every colour can be strictly just darker from the previous colour. Keep in mind contrast as well as your black colours are really dark.

Here is my edit that I said I would do for ya:

ps. use it if you want. :P

These are things that I changed;
  • I defined the light source more having it a little less dark because of the hood
  • Your sprite had 18 colours and I reduced it to 13
  • I added a more texture-like shading for the hood
  • The shading for the other part is a little more accurate (although I'm still not sure myself how it works)
  • Changed a bit of the purple's hue
  • Slightly fixed the curve part of the eye/antenna
  • The scarf is more in position and completely new (I tried to make it look like the artwork)
Your sprite had a red colour: #750000 that was only used for two little pixels that are on the eye and the gem, so what I did was
1. Remove the red
2. Change the base of the red
3. Changed the hue of the mouth
4. Used the new pink colours to help with the gem and eye

I'm sure there can be more done to my sprite, so take what I said and try to apply it to another future sprite. :D

Also, keep in mind that try to not have a lot of colours dark as black because It's not really necessary to have both black and the dark colour if they are really close to each other. If that's the case then either remove one or the other.

Good luck! Keep pixeling.
Old July 8th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Emerald_Fire
(Insert Espurr meme here)

Hey, I have made some sprites of my own. It's not exactly a fusion, and more of taking some parts from this and that to make something new. I've also named them!

This is Electronio.

This is Muonico.

This is Tauonico.

I hope they're good. I think they can pass for regular Pokemon.
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Logiedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald_Fire View Post
Hey, I have made some sprites of my own. It's not exactly a fusion, and more of taking some parts from this and that to make something new. I've also named them!

This is Electronio.

This is Muonico.

This is Tauonico.

I hope they're good. I think they can pass for regular Pokemon.
You might be grasping the concept of pixel art, but first things first, never use anti-aliasing or 'auto-blurring' tools as pixel art is mainly based on just the pixels with shape,bucket and pencil or related tools.

q: but i can see pixels, why isn't it pixel art?
a: basically pixel art must be produced by hand(mouse/tablet) plotting individual pixels onto digital canvas to create sprites or pixel art.

Look at Tauonico for example,
his black outline is really blurry to due an auto-anti-aliasing from resizing the shape. You shouldn't be using blur tools or brush tools from Photoshop or those other programs. Program like Windows XP paint or GraphicsGale is better suited for Pixel Art.

Sketching down ideas is good to, this way your designs are unique as you really have 3 ghost-like Pokemon with very similar and plain features. Embellish and draw the designs and concepts first or at least have a clear mind of an embellished design in your head before you pixel it out.
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:45 PM
OfficialKatsunori
x?q]r♂Pk

Nature: Lonely
gryphon.png
dragon.png

What do you guys think?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links