The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 27th, 2013, 02:37 AM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficialKatsunori View Post
I never got critique for this.
Try more than just taking parts from other Pokémon and recolouring them to make them dissimilar. Also, make sure you add shading and correct all amalga-parts' shading style to match the main sprite. And work on jagged outlines.

Your sprite outlines are actually forming up nicely, but like I said, shading is also important.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old August 28th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Froslass_Maniac
Whoooo 8D

Nature: Quiet

Old August 28th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDebacle View Post
This is some of the stuff I've done,
It's for a fan game I'm working on so please feel free to critique them, as they need to be as good as possible before I finalize anything.
Nice trainer sprites there. I mean really, not bad at all.
Old August 29th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Noscium

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by loucas View Post
oh i never got any feedback from this x.x
Hi Loucas.
You do a great job with your trainers sprite, its nice.

I can give you some advice in order to help you to improve your sprite.

First of all, I think the girl's arms is badly placed. Try to put it at the shoulder's level.
An other problem is the hair (boy and girl), they look flat, they need more shadow.
For exemple, you can make shadow on the pony tail, it can give volume to your sprite.
Btw the girl's belt and one yellow part need shading too.

The last thing I can say is about colours.
Look at the girl's breast and shoulder, you put shading but it still looks flat, you have to change your colour in order to make a better contrast.
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:14 AM
Dark Sneasel
Big Daddy in the House!
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty

These are two trainers that will be in a game I'm making... One is a gym leader and one is from the Elite Four... Can anyone tell me if they're good, bad, or how can I improve? Thanks
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:32 PM
oshawottlover13

Can someone please critique my pixel artwork?

3ds FC: 3308-4678-2953 Trades and Battles anyone?
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/leavsidchiptric13
Blogger Account: https://www.blogger.com/home
Code for Battle Video 1:8ACW-WWWW-www5-3LEL
Code for Battle Video 2: CJNW-WWWW-WWW5-ACLF
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:27 PM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshawottlover13 View Post
Can someone please critique my pixel artwork?
Can you repost? I don't know what you are referring to.
Old September 4th, 2013, 04:15 PM
PokemonCollector-N
Pokemon Collector

Nature: Naughty
The sprites above are all pretty awesome (the ones I can see at least), and it makes me jealous that you all have such skill in making your own.

"What if Canada was real?"

Magikarp? More like Magiking.

Last edited by PokemonCollector-N; September 4th, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old September 4th, 2013, 07:10 PM
oshawottlover13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
Can you repost? I don't know what you are referring to.
http://imgur.com/06bxZ3P
This is my artwork. My very own Brendan artwork. I created it myself.

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Hoenn

You're doing well for an early attempt(I'm assuming it is). But I'll just give you three tips:

1) Don't save the image as JPG. Always use PNG for images like that. Also, don't resize the artwork to make it look bigger.
2) Work on your outlines. Make sure the outlines are only one pixel wide and make sure the whole image is covered by an outline (since it's artwork, not a scenery model). The outlines should come out smoothly so it looks like a real arm, or whichever be the part specified.
3) Add more realistic-like shading. Remember that a pant is rough and h as many folds here and there, so don't add extremely smooth shading.

Also try to minimize the parts used from other characters, and you're on the road again! If you want help, you can look at an official image of Brendan next time. I look forward to see your next work!

Old September 8th, 2013, 04:07 AM
Falsever
Ayano

Nature: Jolly
I scratched (well, not really) two Trainer Sprites, I don't know if they're good or bad.
I want some feedback, it'll help me improve my skill.

Also, they took me 2 hours lmao.

-Theme-
Ayano Tateyama

-Links-
Showdown!
Hack
Ayano no Koufuku Ririon
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Last edited by Falsever; September 9th, 2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old September 8th, 2013, 07:00 AM
GFA
Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Using Lucas' legs doesn't make things "scratch."
Old September 10th, 2013, 03:57 PM
oshawottlover13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
You're doing well for an early attempt(I'm assuming it is). But I'll just give you three tips:

1) Don't save the image as JPG. Always use PNG for images like that. Also, don't resize the artwork to make it look bigger.
2) Work on your outlines. Make sure the outlines are only one pixel wide and make sure the whole image is covered by an outline (since it's artwork, not a scenery model). The outlines should come out smoothly so it looks like a real arm, or whichever be the part specified.
3) Add more realistic-like shading. Remember that a pant is rough and h as many folds here and there, so don't add extremely smooth shading.

Also try to minimize the parts used from other characters, and you're on the road again! If you want help, you can look at an official image of Brendan next time. I look forward to see your next work!
thank you for those tips. i actually use a disney app to pixelate. lol but its a very good app for a disney app. it works amazingly for me. you can animate your artworks too. but i dont know how to save a picture to a PNG because im using a disney app . i dont think they have that on it. and im not very good with computers either. does that mean that it shows up on my post so i dont have a link? because i dont know how to do it. my brother told me to do it that way a long time ago and no one has told me otherwise. and all of my outlines are 1 pixel wide. some things might look more than 1 but it isnt. and since im just starting out ill get better at it. plus im only 14. i dont know much about this stuff. and i did look at an image of him. i looked at it everytime i put a pixel down. and i might need to make the picture size bigger so itll look smaller. i know how to do it i just didnt thinkof it at the time. so thank you for your tips.

Old September 10th, 2013, 05:21 PM
SinfulGuroRose
Ignore me, I'm socially inept.

Nature: Bashful
Can I get some critique on these trainer sprites? For some reason, they don't look right to me, and I can't figure out why. :< The first two are team grunts, and the third is a rival. (Made with Leviathan's bases for the grunts, and various trainer parts for the rival)

Old September 10th, 2013, 06:12 PM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulGuroRose View Post
Can I get some critique on these trainer sprites? For some reason, they don't look right to me, and I can't figure out why. :< The first two are team grunts, and the third is a rival. (Made with Leviathan's bases for the grunts, and various trainer parts for the rival)
First, THANK YOU for proving that I'm not the only one using Leviathan's base.

Now, for the sprites. The faces are what I think is throwing it off. I'm not sure why, but they feel off. The only problem with Leviathan's bases is that the eyes are very strange and don't fit. About the rival, I think some of the Outlines are a bit light. It's correctly placed, but the color itself should be darker. At least, that's what I think. It's probably wrong.
Old September 14th, 2013, 03:57 AM
Froslass_Maniac
Whoooo 8D

Old September 14th, 2013, 01:49 PM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froslass_Maniac View Post
That's nice. It just doesn't give off a Pokemon feel to it for me. I'm really bad at that, though, so forgive me.

My sprite (Possible X and Y spoilers in here):
Spoiler:
Here's a Pixel Over of Mega Garchomp that I did:

Reference:
Spoiler:
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Noscium

Nature: Modest
Froslass_Maniac> You use too much dithering, I think you can make a better sprite with less dither.
Also one leg is shorter than the other.

Joheyhugg> Put more shading on your sprite, it look very flat.
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Froslass_Maniac
Whoooo 8D

Tried another hand at a trainersprite, original design belongs to Yindragon

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:50 AM
reshilegend
Let's find the key we've lost

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to reshilegend

Any suggestions for these?
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Hoenn

@Frosslass_Maniac
I really like the design and from what I'm seeing, your anatomy is correct. What I can see though is that there is a slight feeling of jagged shading down below on the pants. I can either suggest you to add little dithering (little) or anti-aliasing. The top part of the pant seems very smooth in the outlines, though. The shirt is well done, I like the creases near the waist. If you don't mind, what is that green dot on the face? It seems weird like that. Lastly, I like the hair, you shaded well.

@reshilegend
You're doing well with the Pippeck sprite but the perspective is rather incorrect. The body should be thinner because we are not looking at it from the sides, we are looking at it straight. You've used a lot of cover-up shading, I would suggest to stop engulfing the whole sprite with shading more.
The Catenna sprite seems interesting, only that the outlines are barely visible, please use black or darker outlines. I like your colour choice however. The back's outlines seem rather jagged, I would suggest a more smooth approach.
Finally, the design of Salqua's sprite is pretty confusing with the long legs and a weird yellow thing on the back. Once again, you've engulfed the back part with shading on both sides. I would suggest focussing on shading the bottom.

@joeyhugg
Consider adding more shading to the sprite, it doesn't look like it has that bulk and looks flat. The Mega-Garchomp reference had good shading, I wonder why you didn't use that as well.

Good job to all of you.

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:04 AM
reshilegend
Let's find the key we've lost

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to reshilegend
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
really helpful advice
Thanks for the tips. Tbh I don't see a problem with Pippeck's perspective cause it's supposed to be a bit chubbier but idk, you're probably right.
The thing is, I originally had more shading on it and then replaced it with less, but darker shading. I'll work on improving it though.
Same goes for the Catenna sprite, it originally had darker outlines lol. I think I can try and make them darker again. As for Salaqua's design, that's just how it is. Maybe I'll make the legs smaller by one pixel row and see how that will look.
Here's my (not well made, but acceptable) artwork for the Fakemon that I used as a reference. (warning, large image):

Spoiler:

Now you're probably seeing what the weird yellow thing is supposed to be.
I agree with any other point you made, I really should've thought about that. Thanks again!
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:27 PM
dexter1o6

I thought it would be nice to make some pokemon resembling chess-pieces! Maybe I'll make a few sets, but for just the black king as a Rock-type (with a Nosepass feel).

Original image:
Spoiler:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Sprite-Over:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

First, there is something wrong with the colours of the foot (its hard to choose what should be light, and what should be dark in terms of shading).
Second, before I complete the shading and anti-aliasing, it has to become 'alive'. I'm sure you know what I mean with that, its just that I don't know how to get that happening. So, help/comments?
Old October 12th, 2013, 05:15 PM
awipe1

Hello everyone!

I am trying to make a new hero (and I am trying to make him look like me) and I am not very confident about my sprite work. Could I get some feedback and tips from you guys?

I know I need to do some shading but I don't know how to! I feel like the sprites aren't too bad but the hair on the back sprite has no shading, so it looks like i'm wearing a cap of some sort.

So here is the sprite:

Sorry for the size, that's just the normal size of the sprites, 64x64

Well anyway please give me some feedback! Be as mean as you'd like to be!

Also I'm currently looking for a spriter for my ROM. Someone who can make OWs and possibly trainer sprites (I might make those myself). Message me if you would like to be a part of Pokemon Battle Brown!
NOTE: You wouldn't be designing your own sprites, I would be telling you what I needed, and you would make it for me ... as appealing as that sounds. I know it doesn't sound like a fun task, but if you want to be a part of this ROM, then that's what will happen. Also I would like to see some stuff you have made before I accept your offer.
Old October 12th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by awipe1 View Post
Hello everyone!

I am trying to make a new hero (and I am trying to make him look like me) and I am not very confident about my sprite work. Could I get some feedback and tips from you guys?

I know I need to do some shading but I don't know how to! I feel like the sprites aren't too bad but the hair on the back sprite has no shading, so it looks like i'm wearing a cap of some sort.

So here is the sprite:

Sorry for the size, that's just the normal size of the sprites, 64x64

Well anyway please give me some feedback! Be as mean as you'd like to be!
To have your own thread in Pixel Art, you must have 4 sprites that are original meaning they would have to be an original design, new and preferably scratch (work is done from nothing like not using other sprites).

If you plan on wanting critique for a single piece or sprite then you can post it here in the Spriter's Showcase. Fusions and Recolours thread is for what it says: fusions and recolours. Happy Pixeling.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links