The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.


Advertise here

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old April 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Kazoki's Avatar
Kazoki
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineox100 View Post

I was about to say that
And yeah, save them as a .PNG next time.
For shading the light source is from the north-west.
:o i see it now,the colours are really messy.
Thanks guys for telling me
It would be a big mistake if i would post sprites
like this into public and then ppl would download it.
It wouldn't look good in the game heh,...
__________________
Slowpoke lover
Reply With Quote
  #27    
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:33 PM
pokepokemo's Avatar
pokepokemo
The RPing Challenger!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PokeHaven
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Okay, here's a Blob thing, decided to call it Blood the Red Blob of Slime :D

I think the shading and curves are of, but what I think is the worst is the shading....


__________________
RPs I'm in

Pokemon Trainer Academy as Gen Valdrauth Esis
Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Kazoki's Avatar
Kazoki
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
So here is my second sprite
its a cloud fakemon
but this one is really pissed,so better
watch out of those thunderbolts '
(no backsprite yet)

Here it is,..... Angroud !!
__________________
Slowpoke lover
Reply With Quote
  #29    
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM
KK Moloney's Avatar
KK Moloney
Epilyptic Donkey Rhino
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The North Pole
Age: 74
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Here are my first attempts at overworld spriting. I did make their other frames but lost it which made my excrutiatingly angry.


The 1st one is just an alien thing with a black robe thingy. Its definitely not best.
The 2nd one is my attempt at the male protagonist from BW. I dont know what his name is
The 3rd is a girl though with her hair pulled back. And she has a hat on her head, which is covering her hair.
Tell mwa what ya think. mmmhmmm?? Thanks
__________________
Cattle are meant to dwell in trees.
Orsk
---------------------------------------------------------
MILK IS A VERY VALUABLE INGREDIENT(*)
Reply With Quote
  #30    
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:18 PM
NovaStar's Avatar
NovaStar
Team Malachite Spriter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Anywhere but there
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
I'd just like some feedback on this if no one minds.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31    
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Kazoki's Avatar
Kazoki
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
I'd like to get feedback from you guys
I think it looks well,kinda,...
Well the fakemon isn't mine though
all credit goes to this guy :http://irofakemon.deviantart.com/
But the sprite is mine of course.
Attached Images
File Type: png yolken sprite.png‎ (1.2 KB, 297 views) (Save to Dropbox)
__________________
Slowpoke lover
Reply With Quote
  #32    
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Kazoki's Avatar
Kazoki
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar View Post
I'd just like some feedback on this if no one minds.
Awesome,i like this one really,...
i bet its ice type heh ?
Anyways,great job!
__________________
Slowpoke lover
Reply With Quote
  #33    
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:09 AM
CharGrilled
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
I want some constructive criticism on these guys. The only problem is that you can't suggest for new body attachments the outline has to be exactly the same as Electivires.

Attached Images
File Type: png ElectablizzSprite.png‎ (2.3 KB, 286 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png ElectablazeSprite.png‎ (2.4 KB, 287 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by Lilith; March 31st, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #34    
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:14 AM
KK Moloney's Avatar
KK Moloney
Epilyptic Donkey Rhino
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The North Pole
Age: 74
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Hey guys. I will comment on your sprites but could you guys say something regarding mine as well? I am not that great of a spriter but I will try my best to help you.

Kazoki, your cloud, lightning sprite is sadly saved as a jpeg. That makes it look all gross and you cant do anything with that sprite. SAVE IT AS PNG.
I see you saved the bird, duckling as a png, so keep it that way. I like the duck but its shading looks kind of strange in some parts. Remember that the light source is to the top left. And I think the duck should be facing a little more downward. Great job otherwise!

Novastar. I really like those sprites. Are you asking for which palette is better or is that the male and female version of the sprite? I like the one to the right a little better for some reason. The shading and the lineart look great!!!

Finally, CharGrilled. Those are pretty sweet looking electivires! The only thing that I would have to say is that on the blue one maybe the outline color that you are using could be a little bit darker.
__________________
Cattle are meant to dwell in trees.
Orsk
---------------------------------------------------------
MILK IS A VERY VALUABLE INGREDIENT(*)
Reply With Quote
  #35    
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Kazoki's Avatar
Kazoki
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK Moloney View Post
Hey guys. I will comment on your sprites but could you guys say something regarding mine as well? I am not that great of a spriter but I will try my best to help you.

Kazoki, your cloud, lightning sprite is sadly saved as a jpeg. That makes it look all gross and you cant do anything with that sprite. SAVE IT AS PNG.
I see you saved the bird, duckling as a png, so keep it that way. I like the duck but its shading looks kind of strange in some parts. Remember that the light source is to the top left. And I think the duck should be facing a little more downward. Great job otherwise!
Well yeah umm the cloud was really crappy just a beginning heh
now i got the moves ,about the duck,its not really mine the design
belongs to someone else,so also the shadow and pose isn't mine,but still
its my best thing yet
__________________
Slowpoke lover
Reply With Quote
  #36    
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM
IceyPinkLemons's Avatar
IceyPinkLemons
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nowhereville. It's very nice in Autumn.
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK Moloney View Post
Here are my first attempts at overworld spriting. I did make their other frames but lost it which made my excrutiatingly angry.


The 1st one is just an alien thing with a black robe thingy. Its definitely not best.
The 2nd one is my attempt at the male protagonist from BW. I dont know what his name is
The 3rd is a girl though with her hair pulled back. And she has a hat on her head, which is covering her hair.
Tell mwa what ya think. mmmhmmm?? Thanks
Well. Their heads are very large for overworld sprites, unless it was intended to deviate from the Pokemon style. The shading is good on these otherwise. Also, that's Hilbert, the boy protagonist I mean.
__________________
^Click stones for Kikagaku Region^

Reply With Quote
  #37    
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:56 PM
NovaStar's Avatar
NovaStar
Team Malachite Spriter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Anywhere but there
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoki View Post
Awesome,i like this one really,...
i bet its ice type heh ?
Anyways,great job!
Actually it was going to be the water starter of the region I'm starting to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK Moloney View Post
Novastar. I really like those sprites. Are you asking for which palette is better or is that the male and female version of the sprite? I like the one to the right a little better for some reason. The shading and the lineart look great!!!
It's the regular and shiny versions. Anyways I decided to go with the previous shiny palette over the original and made a new shiny palette.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38    
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:00 AM
KK Moloney's Avatar
KK Moloney
Epilyptic Donkey Rhino
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The North Pole
Age: 74
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceyPinkLemons View Post
Well. Their heads are very large for overworld sprites, unless it was intended to deviate from the Pokemon style. The shading is good on these otherwise. Also, that's Hilbert, the boy protagonist I mean.
Hilbert? Never would have guessed that!
Yeah, it wasn't originally intended but I kind of like the way they look so I might make them like these for the hack I am planning to make. Thanks for the comment!
__________________
Cattle are meant to dwell in trees.
Orsk
---------------------------------------------------------
MILK IS A VERY VALUABLE INGREDIENT(*)
Reply With Quote
  #39    
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
pikachuFan50's Avatar
pikachuFan50
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
hi im starting to sprite.so these are very bad.i dont know what size do they have to be so yea here it is
Attached Images
File Type: png not finished.png‎ (2.6 KB, 7 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Reply With Quote
  #40    
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM
pikachuFan50's Avatar
pikachuFan50
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
oh here is the finsihed version
Attached Images
File Type: png pilkachuFan50.png‎ (7.2 KB, 11 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Reply With Quote
  #41    
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:57 PM
geoisevil's Avatar
geoisevil
Evil Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Mind critiquing these? The animation was my first animation ever :D
Attached Images
File Type: png meh voodoo.png‎ (2.3 KB, 9 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: gif voodoo_2.gif‎ (20.8 KB, 262 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Reply With Quote
  #42    
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Xtrude's Avatar
Xtrude
Gamer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wollongong
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest


This is my first ever spliced Pokemon Darhon. Darmantian, Chandelure, Braviary, Magnezone, Shiny Marill
__________________
Black Party:
SEISMITOAD - Lv91
ARCHEOPS - Lv89
DURANT - Lv88
GOLURK - Lv92
EMBOAR - Lv90
VICTINI - Lv94

EELEKTROSS - Lv84
REUNICLUS - Lv81
FERROTHORN - Lv80

Reply With Quote
  #43    
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Ark_Silvanos's Avatar
Ark_Silvanos
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: India
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachuFan50 View Post
oh here is the finsihed version
dude, i'd suggest reading some tutorials on outlining, its all over the place,

you should try to keep ur lines much smoother and more natural. Its very rough, good pixel art requires patience, you cant just quickly sketch out an outline and fill it in with colors, you need to fix the lines, and constantly improve them. Also try to make the body poses more natural. No1's body bends in such a strange way...

if ur just starting to sprite, may i suggest starting with pixel-overs till u get the hang of making smooth lines and creating good line art that can form a solid base for whatever u wanna do?


Quote:
Originally Posted by geoisevil View Post
Mind critiquing these? The animation was my first animation ever
nothing really to say, its a great sprite... outlining is good, color combo works, shadings fine... if u had to pick a flaw, it would be that it seems to be looking straight instead of where the pokemon may be, but that might just be me...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrude View Post


This is my first ever spliced Pokemon Darhon. Darmantian, Chandelure, Braviary, Magnezone, Shiny Marill
for a splice, thats really rough... splices should try to mix the different parts of pokemon smoothly, instead of cutting pieces of pokemon up and putting them on to a base, try to merge them, make the individual pieces flow into each other, parts that need to be resized, could be redrawn, or resized and fixed...
Neway, keep trying new splices focusing on merging the parts u take from other pokemon properly...
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #44    
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM
pikachuFan50's Avatar
pikachuFan50
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark_Silvanos View Post
dude, i'd suggest reading some tutorials on outlining, its all over the place,

you should try to keep ur lines much smoother and more natural. Its very rough, good pixel art requires patience, you cant just quickly sketch out an outline and fill it in with colors, you need to fix the lines, and constantly improve them. Also try to make the body poses more natural. No1's body bends in such a strange way...

if ur just starting to sprite, may i suggest starting with pixel-overs till u get the hang of making smooth lines and creating good line art that can form a solid base for whatever u wanna do?




nothing really to say, its a great sprite... outlining is good, color combo works, shadings fine... if u had to pick a flaw, it would be that it seems to be looking straight instead of where the pokemon may be, but that might just be me...





for a splice, thats really rough... splices should try to mix the different parts of pokemon smoothly, instead of cutting pieces of pokemon up and putting them on to a base, try to merge them, make the individual pieces flow into each other, parts that need to be resized, could be redrawn, or resized and fixed...
Neway, keep trying new splices focusing on merging the parts u take from other pokemon properly...
what are pixelovers???plz explain
Reply With Quote
  #45    
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Ark_Silvanos's Avatar
Ark_Silvanos
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: India
Age: 22
Gender: Male
a pixel over involves pixeling over another image... could be ur own drawing, or a screenshot of an anime or whatever... basically... u try to follow the outline and shading of the base picture (or change the shading if u want), but ur going pixel by pixel like normal pixel art instead...
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #46    
Old April 17th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Shinypoliwrath's Avatar
Shinypoliwrath
RMXP Noob
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
I'd like some feedback on a mugshot I've just finished reworking from a screenshot from B/W2

It's been re-sized to D/P mugshot size, but I couldn't quite get the purple right on her.

Edit: I might consider working on the rest of the mugs from screenshots that have been released (all bar the new water-leader, I believe) if people think this one is good enough.
Reply With Quote
  #47    
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:06 PM
geoisevil's Avatar
geoisevil
Evil Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark_Silvanos View Post
nothing really to say, its a great sprite... outlining is good, color combo works, shadings fine... if u had to pick a flaw, it would be that it seems to be looking straight instead of where the pokemon may be, but that might just be me...
Thanks for the feedback. I tried to make it appear as if it was facing right but looking left at the opposing Pokemon, but I guess that didn't come off well.
Reply With Quote
  #48    
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Logiedan's Avatar
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: fountain of dreams
Age: 1
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinypoliwrath View Post
I'd like some feedback on a mugshot I've just finished reworking from a screenshot from B/W2

It's been re-sized to D/P mugshot size, but I couldn't quite get the purple right on her.

Edit: I might consider working on the rest of the mugs from screenshots that have been released (all bar the new water-leader, I believe) if people think this one is good enough.
There is way too much anti-aliasing. The style for the usual mug-shots is dark outlines and simple shading. Your anti-aliasing makes everything blurry and pillow-shaded which is awful.
__________________
pair: Sheep
【=◈︿◈=】
Reply With Quote
  #49    
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Ark_Silvanos's Avatar
Ark_Silvanos
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: India
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoisevil View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I tried to make it appear as if it was facing right but looking left at the opposing Pokemon, but I guess that didn't come off well.
dont get me wrong, it kinda does look like its looking left, but the thing is... when u look at it without any zoom or anything, it seems like the pupil is centered... maybe a pixel or so down and left wouldnt hurt it... but its not that much of a biggie...
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #50    
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Shinypoliwrath's Avatar
Shinypoliwrath
RMXP Noob
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
There is way too much anti-aliasing. The style for the usual mug-shots is dark outlines and simple shading. Your anti-aliasing makes everything blurry and pillow-shaded which is awful.
Well, thanks for the feedback. As far as I know (seeing as I don't know a lot about Photoshop) there isn't any anti-aliasing: the only thing I could think that might make it seem like that is perhaps I used too many shades of colour, moreso around the hair, I think I might have used about 5 different shades, perhaps I went a little too over the top.

Edit: looking over some actual mugs from the games, I've noticed there's a three-colour standard for everything, I'll have to reduce the colour a bit.
Edit2: I've been through and removed some of the un-needed shading, reducing it to a max of three colours for each part.
does it look any better? (The original is on the left, the new is on the right).

Edit3: Made another, following the three colour standard. This time it's the heroine from B/W2.

Can't seem to get the eyes right.

Last edited by Shinypoliwrath; April 18th, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 04:35 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.