The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 23rd, 2013 (09:27 PM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
The updated Russel sorted a lot of things out. Now he really looks like an explosive guy! (Literally, as well) And for that other girl, the edit you did today made her look perfect! The first one you put up had an awkward position with the legs. I guess the Pokéball is green in colour due to palette issues? And also, the first two versions had longer hair, and the new one kinda shortened out.
Old February 24th, 2013 (12:47 AM). Edited February 25th, 2013 by Superjub.
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
The updated Russel sorted a lot of things out. Now he really looks like an explosive guy! (Literally, as well) And for that other girl, the edit you did today made her look perfect! The first one you put up had an awkward position with the legs. I guess the Pokéball is green in colour due to palette issues? And also, the first two versions had longer hair, and the new one kinda shortened out.
Thanks. :D Glad that the new version looks better for Russell.

As for the girl, I'm glad she looks normal now ahaha. xD And yeah, the PokeBall's green due to palette issues- it was originally red but when I found out it went over 16 colours I had to edit a lot of things. :x I might see if I can change it back though and stay under the limit. And yeah, noticed a lot of my female trainers had long hair so I thought I'd opt for shorter hair this time. I think it suits her more imo.

Thanks for the comments once again.

EDIT: More sprites await. Revamps to be precise. I'm starting to consider opening up my own thread since it seems like I'm getting fairly active again.

Pendug (Pendulum + bug)
Bug Type
"Even under extreme stress, it swings its pendulum-like tail at the same pace."
Original:
----

Buglar (portmanteau of bug and corruption/phonetic version of "butler")
Bug Type
"Buglar serves Buttafrone eternally. This Pokémon would sacrifice itself to protect a Buttafrone."
Original:
----

Buttafrone (portmanteau of butterfly & throne spelled phonetically.)
Bug/Flying Type
"Female Buttafrones have vivid heart and polka-dot markings as opposed to the male's diamond markings."
Original:

Check out the new thread soon!

Old February 28th, 2013 (03:25 AM). Edited February 28th, 2013 by Elaitenstile.
Elaitenstile
I am legend

The first three dudes look good enough. Good caterpillar. And nice male/female alteration.

The second one looks pretty weird. I think it's because you're lacking a basic style, it's too plain without much details. There should be some kind of pattern, maybe some colour-separating stripes. On the head, you should've made a head piece (maybe a bell! Besides, what's a clock without bells?). The initial body shaped should be altered, so as to get the pendulum type (long and thin, huge ball in the end) of body. There are too many stripes, just make it two-third of that many. You should also include more colours for it.

The next one is designed well, although the pose is not looking great. Make a standing straight (B/W type) type of view with a salute or bow. It is a servant, after all.

The last one, well, not much about it. Nice robe-wings, but I can't see the polka-dots on the female.

You are pretty good at this stuff, I think you'd better start a new Showcase Thread.
Old February 28th, 2013 (09:40 AM).
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
The first three dudes look good enough. Good caterpillar. And nice male/female alteration.

The second one looks pretty weird. I think it's because you're lacking a basic style, it's too plain without much details. There should be some kind of pattern, maybe some colour-separating stripes. On the head, you should've made a head piece (maybe a bell! Besides, what's a clock without bells?). The initial body shaped should be altered, so as to get the pendulum type (long and thin, huge ball in the end) of body. There are too many stripes, just make it two-third of that many. You should also include more colours for it.

The next one is designed well, although the pose is not looking great. Make a standing straight (B/W type) type of view with a salute or bow. It is a servant, after all.

The last one, well, not much about it. Nice robe-wings, but I can't see the polka-dots on the female.

You are pretty good at this stuff, I think you'd better start a new Showcase Thread.
Thanks for the comments. Just to clarify, are these comments: "The second one looks pretty weird. I think it's because you're lacking a basic style, it's too plain without much details. There should be some kind of pattern, maybe some colour-separating stripes. On the head, you should've made a head piece (maybe a bell! Besides, what's a clock without bells?). The initial body shaped should be altered, so as to get the pendulum type (long and thin, huge ball in the end) of body. There are too many stripes, just make it two-third of that many. You should also include more colours for it.

The last one, well, not much about it. Nice robe-wings, but I can't see the polka-dots on the female." aimed at the older sprites? e.g.: I have to admit these are really really old so they're kinda nooby ahaha. xD I like some of your ideas though like the bell headpiece and I'd love to incorporate that. :D

Check out the new thread soon!

Old March 1st, 2013 (10:22 PM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Yep, they were. But I loo-oove the first batch, the revamps, namely this :

Like I said, they're perfect.
But still, the servant would like a salute or something.
And yeah, consider the bell and colour.

(You know, I never realised you revamp'd the last three sprites into the first, I'll apologize for shooting at you, that's pretty stupid of me xD)

I guess the next place I'll comment will be in your gallery!
Old March 8th, 2013 (04:39 PM).
Reb0rn
Son of a Plunder

Nature: Adamant
Water Tiles for an upcoming ROM hack of mine, They're all animated. Would upload more, but I'm tired.
Attached Images
File Type: png Underwaterset_zps53cde3fc.png‎ (6.2 KB, 14 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old March 11th, 2013 (08:27 PM).
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
I have sprited/perfectly resized Yveltal sprite to be inserted in a GBA rom hack. Can someone give comments on this and how to improve it. I know that there is a problem in its head but I don't know how can I correct it. I need your help.

Here is it:

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old March 15th, 2013 (05:45 AM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Aryan, judging by the quality, I would still find a lot of jagged lines, especially on the right tail-claw. The cloud neck-scarf is in particular unfinished, with a jagged stop rather than a smooth curve. But the main problem seems to be the lack of selective outlining. I think Log suggested than in R & F thread long ago, but I would recommend looking at other sprites. There are lighter outlines at lighter parts of the sprite. The palm of the tail and arms should have more pillow shading and surfacing. Other than that, you're all set, mate.

I would want professional help with these sprites :

Symmetrical Metang sprite, dated 3/15/2013

Pixel Beldum sprite, dated 3/15/2013

How do they look? Please, don't refrain from commenting!
Old March 16th, 2013 (02:31 AM).
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Aryan, judging by the quality, I would still find a lot of jagged lines, especially on the right tail-claw. The cloud neck-scarf is in particular unfinished, with a jagged stop rather than a smooth curve. But the main problem seems to be the lack of selective outlining. I think Log suggested than in R & F thread long ago, but I would recommend looking at other sprites. There are lighter outlines at lighter parts of the sprite. The palm of the tail and arms should have more pillow shading and surfacing. Other than that, you're all set, mate.

I would want professional help with these sprites :

Symmetrical Metang sprite, dated 3/15/2013

Pixel Beldum sprite, dated 3/15/2013

How do they look? Please, don't refrain from commenting!
The Beldum's shading looks jagged, and isn't consistent in places (example: its claws).

Old March 16th, 2013 (03:41 AM). Edited March 17th, 2013 by Elaitenstile.
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I'll get working on that straightaway. (Also, I know Metang's shading is completely bust, but it was for a fun picture, actually)

EDIT : More stuff. All random. Seems I'll ramble on over here than start an art thread.

Not one iota of base.
Old March 22nd, 2013 (12:38 PM).
ChronasDaKid
Enraged Trainer

Nature: Brave
This is my first time making a pokemon trainer so I would like for you guys to tell me how i did and what I can improve on if I need to.
Attached Images
File Type: png Savannah.png‎ (1.5 KB, 98 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old March 22nd, 2013 (01:17 PM).
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronasDaKid View Post
This is my first time making a pokemon trainer so I would like for you guys to tell me how i did and what I can improve on if I need to.
This thread is for artists to show off one specific sprite for improvement. A thread in the Pixel Art requires 4+ original sprites (like non-scratch) to qualify as a showcase. Double check the rules of the section.
Old March 22nd, 2013 (01:24 PM).
ChronasDaKid
Enraged Trainer

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
This thread is for artists to show off one specific sprite for improvement. A thread in the Pixel Art requires 4+ original sprites (like non-scratch) to qualify as a showcase. Double check the rules of the section.
I read the rules, I just misread somethings. Sorry.
Old March 22nd, 2013 (05:12 PM). Edited March 22nd, 2013 by Demon Days.
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Ahum. Something I made to entertain myself. Gentlemen, I present to you...

Flaresant.
I actually got proper shading for once!
Please, criticise. I need some improvement; I haven't made any real sprites in ages.
EDIT: I made this. Is gud day to be pixel-art man.

Old March 22nd, 2013 (08:40 PM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordant View Post
Ahum. Something I made to entertain myself. Gentlemen, I present to you...

Flaresant.
I actually got proper shading for once!
Please, criticise. I need some improvement; I haven't made any real sprites in ages.
EDIT: I made this. Is gud day to be pixel-art man.
Foo-reeeee!

I'll tell about Flaresant then. Okay, I'll criticize.

From what I have seen, I think the general shaping is great, especially the head. Although it wouldn't hurt to put in two more claws on its feet, would it?

Fire effect is nice, especially the infernal shading.

I think the wing which can be seen from here is in need of highlights. Also, I think the sprite can be better off with more detail, something designs and patterns on its body, and coloured feathers.

Good Pixel Over, especially since I have the Rayquaza on my sig xD. Clean shades, good colouring, but I'd suggest some anti-aliasing and dithering.
Old March 23rd, 2013 (12:44 AM). Edited March 23rd, 2013 by Demon Days.
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Quote:
Foo-reeeee!

I'll tell about Flaresant then. Okay, I'll criticize.

From what I have seen, I think the general shaping is great, especially the head. Although it wouldn't hurt to put in two more claws on its feet, would it?

Fire effect is nice, especially the infernal shading.

I think the wing which can be seen from here is in need of highlights. Also, I think the sprite can be better off with more detail, something designs and patterns on its body, and coloured feathers.

Good Pixel Over, especially since I have the Rayquaza on my sig xD. Clean shades, good colouring, but I'd suggest some anti-aliasing and dithering.
Heh, thanks for the comment.
The thing with Flaresant is that gains claws over evolutions; one for itself, two for the evolution, and three for the final evolution. I tend to avoid feathers and such. As for Rayquaza, dithering's not something I'm good with (my dithering's just straight, so it makes the shading choppy). I'll probably anti-aliase it though.
EDIT: Made the change.

Old March 23rd, 2013 (01:10 AM).
Silversnk
Valar Dohaeris

Nature: Calm
That's a really nice pixel over, I love the coloring. There are some things that you could still improve like the placing of some lights, they're just a little incongruent with the flow of the sprite. Another thing: on the third section of Rayquaza's body, he seems to crack or something like that xD I mean, it's not as curvy as it should be.

Really good work, I liked it very much.

deviantART:
~Akkien
Please forgive my horrible english as it's not my primary language.
Old March 23rd, 2013 (01:31 AM).
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversnk View Post
That's a really nice pixel over, I love the coloring. There are some things that you could still improve like the placing of some lights, they're just a little incongruent with the flow of the sprite. Another thing: on the third section of Rayquaza's body, he seems to crack or something like that xD I mean, it's not as curvy as it should be.

Really good work, I liked it very much.
Heh, thanks. The Rayquaza's based on one of Ken Sugimori's drawings (Groudon & Kyogre fighting with Rayquaza aboves them, and a thunderstorm in the sky), so that's why the shading's odd.

Old March 23rd, 2013 (02:29 AM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordant View Post
Heh, thanks for the comment.
The thing with Flaresant is that gains claws over evolutions; one for itself, two for the evolution, and three for the final evolution. I tend to avoid feathers and such. As for Rayquaza, dithering's not something I'm good with (my dithering's just straight, so it makes the shading choppy). I'll probably anti-aliase it though.
EDIT: Made the change.
Yeah... it looks much smoother now. Why don't you do Kyogre and Groudon too?
Old March 23rd, 2013 (01:01 PM).
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Quote:
Yeah... it looks much smoother now. Why don't you do Kyogre and Groudon too?
I would but it's only a normal weekend; I want to do other stuff as well.

Old March 26th, 2013 (09:57 PM).
Trainer Jun
Team Rocket Veteran Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
I'm sorry, guys! I've been gone for a while...

So, to "fix" the visual issue, I'm going to post the sprite in a thumbnail and a link.

This is Retribution's character:

And, if all else fails, here's a link to my album:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8546
Attached Images
File Type: png Nora.png‎ (2.1 KB, 71 views) (Save to Dropbox)

You are my inspiration.

What I support:
Old March 27th, 2013 (08:29 PM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer Jun View Post
I'm sorry, guys! I've been gone for a while...

So, to "fix" the visual issue, I'm going to post the sprite in a thumbnail and a link.

This is Retribution's character:

And, if all else fails, here's a link to my album:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/album.php?albumid=8546
She looks pretty wide, which gives of her image. Try making a thinner sprite. At some places, the outlining becomes jagged, so I would advise you to check it back. Also, the legs look too far apart. Other than that, it looks pretty nice.
Old March 28th, 2013 (08:59 AM). Edited March 28th, 2013 by Trainer Jun.
Trainer Jun
Team Rocket Veteran Trainer

Quote:
She looks pretty wide, which gives of her image. Try making a thinner sprite. At some places, the outlining becomes jagged, so I would advise you to check it back. Also, the legs look too far apart. Other than that, it looks pretty nice.
The base sprite is a splice of a few different ones. It's probably because I mixed multiple gens' sprites that it looks odd to you. It appears fine to me, and is one of my better works.

It might need some tweaking... But it was hard to get it posted, and if it's the thumbnail you're seeing, it may be a bit distorted. Are you viewing it in the original 64x64 format? Try saving the file and opening it up in paint or irfanview. Maybe it does need work, though... Oh, well. I made it while eating cheez-its, so... Yeah...

Edit:
Is this any better? I know I haven't fixed the legs, but at least the dress doesn't seem as stiff and protruding as it did. I'm not really sure if I want to edit the legs at all, though.

You are my inspiration.

What I support:
Old March 29th, 2013 (12:44 AM). Edited March 29th, 2013 by Chesu.
Chesu
Boss Carrot

This is probably the first completely original, not-created-for-profit sprite I've drawn in about a year, at the request of a friend. Before any aspiring cetologists come down on me, yes, I'm aware that it has more of a fish-like tail than whale-like flukes. This is by design.

Updated 11/07/10.
Old March 29th, 2013 (01:53 AM).
Elaitenstile
I am legend

I think the nose-needle can have a black pixel at the bottom end, because it is inclined downward and your implication might have been to make it pointed like Pinocchio. I most certainly feel that the sprite has been shaded perfectly, and good anti-aliasing given to the belly. The design looks pretty cool, and it looks rather simple enough, with no designs and complexions.

As for Trainer Jun, I cannot see your edit.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links