Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime
Reload this Page Shouldn't Ash have GirlFriend by Now?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old March 12th, 2012 (05:53 PM).

Well Ash would at least be 15 if it was Proper Aging so you would think by now he would have interest in the Opposite Sex.

Any how many Badges and Competion's he been in he should be a bit famous and Girls would want to be with him.

So why has the Anime not gone down this Path as I reckon it be a Great Story-Line
Old March 12th, 2012 (06:18 PM).
There's Something About Lamps

Nature: Bold
The anime itself will never go down that path. The creators have stated that Ash will stay 10 for as long as the show airs and you might as well take their word for it. It's targeted towards younger audiences because, you know, that's who plays the games the most out of all the age groups and the anime supplements the games. Therefore, it only makes sense that Ash will be younger so that the majority of the viewers can relate to him more. The writers believe that every new generation, they lose viewers so they try to adapt and keep the same. It's how it's been.

They did make a few references to Ash's past accomplishments, like in the first episode of BW, you can see the trophies lined up on his wall and such. There's that Terracotta Ribbon Advanceshippers never forget about, and that would definitely be an accomplishment. However, he's still unknown to most people. He's not a Champion or a Gym Leader, so his reputation can't build as much. He travels around, sure, but most probably wouldn't find him so memorable. It's just a trainer with a Pikachu. He hasn't won a major tournament, though he did conquer the Orange Islands and beat Drake...

I think it would also be an awesome show if they did go down some different path, but it is a formulaic anime so it will stay that way for some time. They won't try anything too drastic because they want to keep a target audience and so far, they're satisfied.
Old March 12th, 2012 (06:23 PM).

Quote originally posted by psyanic:
The anime itself will never go down that path. The creators have stated that Ash will stay 10 for as long as the show airs and you might as well take their word for it. It's targeted towards younger audiences because, you know, that's who plays the games the most out of all the age groups and the anime supplements the games. Therefore, it only makes sense that Ash will be younger so that the majority of the viewers can relate to him more. The writers believe that every new generation, they lose viewers so they try to adapt and keep the same. It's how it's been.

They did make a few references to Ash's past accomplishments, like in the first episode of BW, you can see the trophies lined up on his wall and such. There's that Terracotta Ribbon Advanceshippers never forget about, and that would definitely be an accomplishment. However, he's still unknown to most people. He's not a Champion or a Gym Leader, so his reputation can't build as much. He travels around, sure, but most probably wouldn't find him so memorable. It's just a trainer with a Pikachu. He hasn't won a major tournament, though he did conquer the Orange Islands and beat Drake...

I think it would also be an awesome show if they did go down some different path, but it is a formulaic anime so it will stay that way for some time. They won't try anything too drastic because they want to keep a target audience and so far, they're satisfied.
Well I think that is a Big Mitsake by the Creators as people who started to watch it from the Start will get sick of the Same Thing and Just hardly watch it except for now and again and Downloading Torrents of it
Old March 12th, 2012 (09:55 PM).
Maybe she's born with it
Silver Tier

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Dave The Man:
Well I think that is a Big Mitsake by the Creators as people who started to watch it from the Start will get sick of the Same Thing and Just hardly watch it except for now and again and Downloading Torrents of it
People don't stop watching it because it stays the same rather because they get older and it becomes less interesting in their eyes. However they enjoy the old episodes because it has a certain nostalgic value to it.

3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3990 - 6891
Old March 12th, 2012 (11:47 PM).

Quote originally posted by Wings Don't Cry:
People don't stop watching it because it stays the same rather because they get older and it becomes less interesting in their eyes. However they enjoy the old episodes because it has a certain nostalgic value to it.
You put it better.

Though I wish they did something like I said in a Move or maybe a Short Series
Old March 13th, 2012 (04:11 PM).
Molly, you're cute ;)

Let's be realistic; as long as they keep Ash at 10 years old, it's unlikely he will ever have a real girlfriend. Also, these rumors about him kissing any of his female traveling companions are all bunk. None of the "screenshots" of him kissing such girls that are circulating are real-they are all made up. The only girls that ever kissed Ash (that I know of) were in the movies: Melody (Pokémon: The Movie 2000) and the human form of Latias (Pokémon Heroes).
Old March 13th, 2012 (08:20 PM).

Ahh but still of all his female companions. I like Misty the best and wish she'd show back up. I watched up until the Jhoto and played the game and watched some on the ones after that. Right now Im watching black and white; it's bringing back good memories to me.
Old March 14th, 2012 (01:41 AM).
What am I to do?
Platinum Tier

Well Ash would at least be 15 if it was Proper Aging so you would think by now he would have interest in the Opposite Sex.

Any how many Badges and Competion's he been in he should be a bit famous and Girls would want to be with him.

So why has the Anime not gone down this Path as I reckon it be a Great Story-Line
Like Psyanic said, the Pokémon anime is formulaic; as much as anyone would love for him to fall in love with Misty, May, Dawn, or any other girl or boy, it's not going to happen if he's 10, probably because certain cultures that make a lot of their revenue have slanted views and opinions of certain things normal people find trivial.

Read what Wings Don't Cry posted – I don't think I could've done it better.

Also… You might want to cease talking about illegal downloads… It's against the rules :P

Quote originally posted by Otter Mii-kun:
Let's be realistic; as long as they keep Ash at 10 years old, it's unlikely he will ever have a real girlfriend. Also, these rumors about him kissing any of his female traveling companions are all bunk. None of the "screenshots" of him kissing such girls that are circulating are real-they are all made up. The only girls that ever kissed Ash (that I know of) were in the movies: Melody (Pokémon: The Movie 2000) and the human form of Latias (Pokémon Heroes).
You seem quick to judge; those episodes were most likely rumors started by a group of people tied up by a madman to spread when they get out :P. The episodes, one supposedly being for each Misty and May, possibly more, are logically deemed fallacious, but they give people a nice fuzzy feeling to think of and believe in—kind of like what the entire idea of 'shipping is based around.

Quote originally posted by Drakes:
Ahh but still of all his female companions. I like Misty the best and wish she'd show back up. I watched up until the Jhoto and played the game and watched some on the ones after that. Right now Im watching black and white; it's bringing back good memories to me.
Sort of off topic, friend. ;)
Old March 14th, 2012 (03:18 AM).

Well I think Melody was the Closest thing they have had to Ask having Pokemon because at the End you really felt the Melody had Fallen for Ash
Old March 17th, 2012 (03:11 AM).
We'll get to that tomorrow

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nearsighted king of Ice Send a message via Yahoo to Nearsighted king of Ice
He should be an adult now too but we all know that's never gonna happen

Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?

Black FC: 1592-5761-9212
Pokemon X FC: 2921-9174-9000
Old March 17th, 2012 (10:33 AM).

Ash is far too immature to keep a real, romantic relationship with a girl. I don't think he could manage it. His ambition would get in the way. I know some people could go for their dream and hold a healthy relationship, but I don't see Ash doing it. But I CAN see a bawling Ash running back to Pikachu when girlfriend Misty hurts his feelings.
Old March 17th, 2012 (12:23 PM).

Nature: Adamant
forget "keep a romantic relationship with a girl". The cottonee episode pretty much shows that he is too immature to even start a relationship, or think of girls as anything more than friends.
Old March 19th, 2012 (11:15 AM).

these rumors about him kissing any of his female traveling companions are all bunk. None of the "screenshots" of him kissing such girls that are circulating are real-they are all made up. The only girls that ever kissed Ash (that I know of) were in the movies: Melody (Pokémon: The Movie 2000) and the human form of Latias (Pokémon Heroes).
LOL, I totally agree somehow there was a rumor that Ash kissed Misty and then advanceshippers took that and said Ash kissed May when that obviously didn't happen either.
Old March 19th, 2012 (11:44 AM).

Nature: Calm
Well ash did hang out and get close to girls with small skirts and tight pants, so i see where you got the idea from. But no, he will never. Its a kids show (but lots of adults play it lol)
Wasn't there an episode where ash kissed misty? A kiss by the misletoe or something?
Old March 19th, 2012 (01:42 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

You're probably thinking of "Under The Mistletoe", which was a song done by 4Kids for the English Pokemon Christmas Bash CD. The song was never used in the show, however.
Old March 21st, 2012 (04:38 AM).
Mynewusernameiskuzronkjustlookthatup Mynewusernameiskuzronkjustlookthatup is offline

Ash will always be 10 and he will only kiss movie only girls
Old March 21st, 2012 (04:40 AM).
space dorito
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
If Ash were to have a girlfriend out of the 4 girls he traveled with (Misty, May, Dawn, Iris) I think Dawn would be the ideal girlfriend.
Old March 21st, 2012 (09:09 AM).
THE HOST IS BROKEN
Gold Tier

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I don't think many ten year old boys have girlfriends, either way - the writers obviously don't want to give him one because of that. If he were to age, then yes - maybe they could go down that route, though it wouldn't be necessary anyway.

Though, that answer sounds a little blunt, I suppose there's more to it than that. We did see Latias give Ash a kiss in the fifth movie, whether or not it was to affection or idk, but I wouldn't block the idea out. Brock has shown affection towards countless woman, but yes he is older - then take a look at how Bel reacted to Stephan's Sawk- I should stop rambling now.

Old March 22nd, 2012 (05:06 AM).
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
He's only 10. No 10 year old should have girlfriends. Asian perspective

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old March 26th, 2012 (07:25 PM).

Nature: Lonely
I can put this to rest easily.

The story writers for pokemon have kept switching the girls in his group at a rapid pace, but he only one who had seriously kissed him was Misty. Japan aired the episode during the 1st series, the kanto region. When 4Kids, the origional dub company who handled the episodes translation located the episode and looked it over, it was dubbed too mature for kids, scrapped and tossed into the garbage heap with several other banned episodes never released for America to view. It isn't until sometime between Kanto and Jhoto that 4kids began losing the rights and pokemon would later be dubbed by another company, pushing the romance between the 2 with some strong hints.

After that, just plain #$@! happens and things shift both in and out with the girls and pokemon. AND WHERE THE @#$# IS GARY OAK?!

Also on an unrelated note: WHY is Brock still traveling with ASH!? WHY NOT JUST QUIT FINDING A GIRL IN THE WORLD, GO HOME AND RESUME HIS ROLE AS GYM LEADER?! HE WOULD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF FINDING A FEMALE TRAINER THERE THEN WHAT HE DOES NOW!
Old March 27th, 2012 (08:42 AM).

The closest thing we'll see to Ash having a girlfriend is the relationship he had with Misty. 10 years old is too young for a character to have a deep romantic relationship to be important to the plot.

I agree that Ash's dream of becoming a Pokemon Master would probably get in the way of any potential relationship anyway.

If they were to try to give him a girlfriend though, they'd have to bring back Misty. Misty showed several signs of having deeper feelings for him than just friendship, and one comment she made in the 2nd movie pretty much confirmed it for me. She even said at one point in the series that she couldn't even remember why she had been traveling with Ash for so long, but I think it was Brock that reminded her of her busted bike, which set her off again! HOWEVER, since a full-fledged relationship wouldn't be appropriate for Pokemon, Misty's usually love-hate treatment of Ash would still work fine.

Quote originally posted by Quto:
I can put this to rest easily.

The story writers for pokemon have kept switching the girls in his group at a rapid pace, but he only one who had seriously kissed him was Misty. Japan aired the episode during the 1st series, the kanto region. When 4Kids, the origional dub company who handled the episodes translation located the episode and looked it over, it was dubbed too mature for kids, scrapped and tossed into the garbage heap with several other banned episodes never released for America to view. It isn't until sometime between Kanto and Jhoto that 4kids began losing the rights and pokemon would later be dubbed by another company, pushing the romance between the 2 with some strong hints.
I have never heard of an actual kiss taking place in the anime. I've seen lists of the banned episodes and the reasons they were banned. A kiss wasn't one of the reasons. Plus, I haven't seen or heard of footage of this either. If it aired in Japan, someone somewhere online would have it.

AND WHERE THE @#$# IS GARY OAK?!
Gary retired from training Pokemon to become a Pokemon scientist. The last time I remember seeing him was an episode where he and other scientists revived an Aerodactyl.

WHY is Brock still traveling with ASH!? WHY NOT JUST QUIT FINDING A GIRL IN THE WORLD, GO HOME AND RESUME HIS ROLE AS GYM LEADER?! HE WOULD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF FINDING A FEMALE TRAINER THERE THEN WHAT HE DOES NOW!
In case you haven't seen any info on the anime recently, Brock no longer travels with Ash and has taken interest in becoming a Pokemon doctor, rather than a breeder.
Old March 27th, 2012 (10:05 AM).

If you ask me I would give him May (just cuz I think they are most alike and get together (what can I do im a advanceshipper ). But if he needs a girlfriend he needs to age jesus hes still 10 /facepalm
Old March 27th, 2012 (02:56 PM).

Nature: Lonely
At least look over the script on the orange islands between them.
Old March 31st, 2012 (11:30 AM).
Dragonite's Momma

Nature: Modest
I highly doubt the anime will ever go down that road. Someone mentioned that the creators said Ash will stay 10 forever, and that's very much true. I think they won't make Ash have a girlfriend and get love interests because they sorta tried that with Misty(very obvious!), and it must have no worked out well with audiences. If you notice the series when Misty was still on board, did have very slight hints of love between Ash and Misty. When they started the series again after she left, there really weren't any hints of love between the main characters(excluding Brock the Nurse/Officer maniac) anymore. The creators must have realized it didn't really fit well with the storyline and decided to make it more of a "pursue your dream; never give up" kinda theme.

Oh well...I kinda would like them to put love as at least a subtle theme every now and then, but maybe we just want it since were older and more mature than some of the other audience members. Kids would probably just shield their eyes and go "EWWW, GROSS!! ROMANCE!! LOVE!! BLEHH!!"....

sob sob...
Old March 31st, 2012 (11:49 AM).
Let's share the fruit of fate!
Gold Tier
CS

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Astinus:
You're probably thinking of "Under The Mistletoe", which was a song done by 4Kids for the English Pokemon Christmas Bash CD. The song was never used in the show, however.
When Misty asks if he realizes that they are standing under the mistletoe Ash literally screams and runs away, one of his lines earlier being "I'm hoping that I don't get caught under the mistletoe!", so no there has never been even an audio dub only kiss between Ash and Misty.

More topic related, there's not time for a girlfriend when you're on a journey! That and yeah, he's 10. Not gonna happen.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links