The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 17th, 2012, 06:49 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo

Advertise here
My current assignment in my Creative Writing class is as she described "Letter Writing."

Which my teacher says me and my partner have to write letters to each other (five each) to create a story. Does anyone have any idea or experience on how to do this?

We're both confused.

Thank you in advance.

Old March 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM
psyanic
There's Something About Lamps

Nature: Bold
What are you writing is an epistolary novel, though you probably won't take it to the extent of an actual novel. I think the Diary of Anne Frank is a good example of this, since it tells a story through a diary. This isn't exactly a letter, but I don't think think they are that different. Here is a blog of quite a few excerpts, and hopefully this can give you a general idea, the difference being that the letters are directed at someone and Anne Frank's diary is moreover her thoughts. Fundamentally, they're nearly the same.

Obviously, you'd write in the first person and just describe things. Think of it as rambling of sorts. Describe an event, gossip, etc. I always thought that it would be interesting if two people wrote from two different sides of a war. That way, readers could get both sides of the war and a mixture of events and opinions. Just some food for thought. You don't have to do it that way.

Edit: If you're interested, there is an anime that you can watch that shows two characters contacting each other through text messages. The anime itself is only one episode, so it's technically a short movie. It's about 25 minutes long and it's called Voices of a Distant Star. I just remembered it and I thought it could be a good example of sorts. Don't worry, it's a really good anime, but since it's an anime, it might be harder to get information and style from it.

Last edited by psyanic; March 17th, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:43 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Another thing is that you're writing through two (or more?) character's 'voices' so to speak - ie you can play around with some emotion and the person's mannerisms (how they write or word things, etc) in telling the story and building up their character too.

Anyways, I actually read such a novel before presented in this way. It's Letters From the Inside by John Marsden (guy who did the Tomorrow Series if that rings a bell?), and although this isn't in letter form it's a journal form and a darn good read too from memory by him: So Much to Tell You. If you have time and have access to them I'd think they would be of help.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old March 19th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
Another good example, believe it or not, is Dracula. I had to study it in Year 10, and I was most surprised to find that it was entirely made up of letters, diary entries, scribbled notes and newspaper clippings. It was a fascinating way to present the narrative, and although I personally found the book as a whole boring as sin, it's definitely worth a look if you want a classic example of the genre. Stoker does a really good job of using the format to tell the story.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here