The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old June 9th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Dimebag
Getcha' Pull !

Nature: Gentle
:O You are planning a new release ??? Great !

\m/ KYUSS \m/
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mateo
Yep! I've been working on a new update. I'm hoping to have it ready in July, but we'll just see how it goes.

Off the top of my head, and in the order I thought of them, some changes will include:
- Several bug fixes from the last one (wrong text, Leaf Stone and Ice Shard saying "NOT ABLE" on Eevee[thanks to Miksy for the Eevee part], etc)
- Ability to play as a boy or a girl, chosen in the intro (Thanks to RED)
- Some new areas/restored areas (Viridian Forest, South Isle North, Ecruteak Shrine, etc)
- Most of the events that were the same as Gold have been updated/changed/replaced (Rival in Cherrygrove, Mr. Pokemon's house, Mahogany Rocket Base, Lighthouse, etc are either already changed or will be by release)
- Restored a missing Rival Battle, and moved some of them around.
- Added a few new things to the Mt.Moon/Pewter City area
- Restored Blaine's Gym to have the quizzes and other trainers (and 2 carpet tiles instead of 1)
- Added more trainers to Giovanni's gym
- Added Battle Machines to the Battle Tower (they give coins if you win)
- Added new additional prize exchange people outside the Battle Tower
- Added a few Incense Burners on routes that lure Wild Pokemon not otherwise found in that area
- Changed the way you get Rainbow Wing
- Fixed Cue Balls to not have Firebreather teams
- Updated a few trainer sprites
- Increased the level of several Kanto gyms (since it is post-E4 after all)
- Added a little more story to JACK, the Ace Trainer you fight in the Secret Base (the one based on the player from Spirits and Legends, even though that hack is still in planning stages)
- Made it so the Trainer House in Viridian has a different trainer based on the day of the week
- Changed up some of the trainer names, rosters, positions on routes and things. (Haven't done all of them, but for example there is now a Lass on Route 30)
- New Pokemon (Zigzagoon, Linoone, etc)
- Something secret involving the new Pokemon that you will find out when you play.
- A way to get the other Johto Starters
- A way to get the other fossil Pokemon you didn't get from the Water Dojo
- Trade Evolution Pokemon will now evolve via another method (level up/stone) but will also evolve by trade if you want to do it that way too. (details on alternate evolution methods will be announced with the release).
- More that I didn't think of right now, but will go into more when I release the update.

Note that while a lot of the things in this list are finished, there are still some that I'm still working on too.

Also, here are some possible things I might add, but that aren't guaranteed yet:

- Route 47 and 48 from HG/SS (Will be in Spirits and Legends regardless of if it makes it into Christmas or not)
- Johto Safari Zone (Will be in Spirits and Legends regardless of if it makes it into Christmas or not)

A lot of that was copied from a post on Skeetendo, but I don't think I have posted it here already so I wanted to go ahead and get it out here haha.

EDIT: And here are a few new screenshots.

Blaine's Gym, now with added Quizzicals.

I also moved the gym back to Cinnabar where it belongs.

I also cleared some of the rubble off as well.

We had Omanyte and Kabuto in the last version, but we can't leave this guy out.

In addition to bringing back Viridian Forest, it now has its own unique Route Gate designs.
Loosely based on their design from Red and Blue, but a little different.

If you make it up that funny, neat little slope you can talk to that guy. About stuff and such.

Last edited by Mateo; June 10th, 2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Adding some screenshots.
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Dr. James
Experimenting

Nature: Relaxed
Hey Mateo, it's me again and I'm reporting some new mistakes that I've seen this time around:

- When catching three or more Unown, and exiting the ruins, the lab assistant has the wrong sprite: it is a blue-colored Gold's sprite. After taking the player to the little house of the ruins, and entering, he has the correct sprite.
- Kris is seen inside the Sprout Tower, but she isn't surprised to see the player. A "KRIS: " would be better too.
- The same mistakes involving Ruins of Alph's overworld maps, that are present in the original game, are here (they don't match with the other maps).
- The is now rail road on Route 32, but there is no visual cue of why the player can't follow the road to its right or left.
- Kurt says that Team Rocket was disbanded three years ago. But if this is happening after Pokémon Gold, he should say that Team Rocket was disbanded, again, just last summer. The last Rocket in the Delibird's cave makes this mistake too.
- The couple on Route 37, has such a long name, that when switching Pokemon in the battle, its name overlaps the limits.
- Why are there ice blocks inside the Burned tower? That can't be right.
- Going to the Battle Tower, and then inmediately exiting and going to the Lighthouse, you can see at its right, instead of the Poke ball item, Gold's spirte:

- Saving in:

and reseting, makes the sprites mixed up:

- Talking to this dude in the entrance for the Tin Tower teleports me to the exit:

- This should be "last seen":

- This rocket came through all the trees:

- The rock refers itself as a Persian Statue:

(I think this has already been noted).
- Red uses a Dragonite (remnant from Lance) before the last battle with the Rockets. A Pikachu sprite could fit better.
- The Battle Tower's Chairman is referred as a Director when he speaks:

- The whole Egg adventure is now about the old couple giving you the egg and Elm wanting to know what came of it. However, when you show Togepi to him, he says, "So Pokémon are born from eggs..." He already knows that, he learned that in the summer. He knew about the egg because the couple told him, not because he wanted to research that:

- At the top of Saffron City the man that blocks the entrance to the underground path has disappeared:

- No Snorlax is seen if you're coming from the right:

Other stuff:

This still happens, even though you mentioned it was fixed.

This trainer that is by the Whirl Islands can trespass the barrier.

On the other hand, those new features that you promise are fantastic. I just was going to say that the same events from Gold, like the Lighthouse, should be changed, since those already happened.

So, I hope that you see this. Thanks for this hack again!
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Thanks for the detailed bug reports there Dr.James. A few of these I've already found and fixed for this version, but a few of them I didn't know about. I'll also have to look back into the issue with the birds on South Isle and see what the deal is with that. I'll also make it more notable as to why you can't walk on the tracks in Route 32. The couple's name has also been changed so that they no longer overlap.

I know that the problem with swimmer/Pokeball/etc around Olivine comes from issues with the spritesheets and I *think* they are fixed now, but I'll make sure to test that extensively before releasing the new version.

I've also updated the map for the forest above Mahogany. There are now motion sensors in place of the boulders, and they are labeled appropriately. I've also fixed a few of the typos you pointed out, but some of them I missed. I also will go back in and fix the storyline/continuity errors in text that you pointed out as well.

That elder is no longer an issue either. That small building that only served to block the way has been replaced by a shinto shrine instead. It lets you increase Pokemon's happiness by having them "blessed" by Rei, the Shrine Maiden. And you are able to surf across the pond to get to the tower (which still makes you wait until after Morty to reach it, since his badge is required to use Surf outside of battle).

One thing though, what exactly do you mean with Ruins of Alph's maps not lining up properly? The only bug I remembered being in original Gold with ruins of Alph was that the roof of the reseach building completely changed color at night to be Orange while it was Gray during the day, and that doesn't happen here that I know of.

Old June 10th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Dr. James
Experimenting

Quote:
One thing though, what exactly do you mean with Ruins of Alph's maps not lining up properly?
This is what I mean:

If you put Ruins of Alph lined up with Violet City, its north entrance doesn't match with the entrance accessible from route 36. It's waaay off.
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Ah yeah. That's because the map isn't actually "connected" at all except by warps, and Gamefreak drew those parts in on the wrong place. I'll see what I can do about it.

Old June 10th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Dr. James
Experimenting

Exacty! It's something that has always bugged me. If you can't fix that it's ok (since it's not your fault), but it would be a nice detail.

By the way, if you need a tester, feel free to PM me.
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

I can actually think of two different ways I could fix it.

1) Expand the ruins of alph map so I can put the gate in the right spot, and redo the design a little to make it look right instead of just "Oh hey, we moved the gate waaaaay over randomly!" or
2) Leave the map the same, but move the location of the North gate on the route to the Left, so that it is in the same place, if a couple blocks too high.

And cool, thanks. Once I have it ready for testing I will try to remember to PM you about it.

Old June 11th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Dimebag
Getcha' Pull !

Great !!! Love that new stuff !!!

\m/ KYUSS \m/
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:58 AM
mrtienduc1999

Good, i like it but .... I think you should remake version 2. ==
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Dr. James
Experimenting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
I can actually think of two different ways I could fix it.

1) Expand the ruins of alph map so I can put the gate in the right spot, and redo the design a little to make it look right instead of just "Oh hey, we moved the gate waaaaay over randomly!" or
2) Leave the map the same, but move the location of the North gate on the route to the Left, so that it is in the same place, if a couple blocks too high.
Yeah, that's something. Or you could eliminate the north gate and that would be all.

Quote:
And cool, thanks. Once I have it ready for testing I will try to remember to PM you about it.
Fantastic! I will be waiting.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtienduc1999 View Post
Good, i like it but .... I think you should remake version 2. ==
What do you mean exactly by remake version 2? I'm assuming you mean just fix the bugs in this version and not release any new features, which isn't what I want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.James
Fantastic! I will be waiting.
Hopefully it won't be too long. Just depends on how things go (in the process of applying for a new job, so I'll have to see how that goes to know how much free time I'll have to work on it of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gam3r!
Great !!! Love that new stuff !!!
Thanks!

Last edited by Mateo; June 11th, 2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old June 11th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Dr. James
Experimenting

Hey!

A new bug: I went to the League and Kris appeared. She wanted a battle... Only that she was somewhat far:

That's it for today. Good night!
Old June 11th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. James View Post
Hey!

A new bug: I went to the League and Kris appeared. She wanted a battle... Only that she was somewhat far:

That's it for today. Good night!
Went ahead and fixed it right now while I was thinking about it. Thanks again!

EDIT: I also went in and fixed the scientist sprite bug, as well as the "Rocket walking across trees" bug.
EDIT2: I also figured out what was wrong with the bird scripts. I forgot to add "closetext" and "loadmovesprites" commands after the "verbosegiveitem" command. Instead, the 2012 version just gave the item, hid the event, and ended the script. Simple fix, and so that bug will be gone in the coming update.

Last edited by Mateo; June 16th, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Since its been a few days since I posted here, I thought I would bump this to show off some of the coming update. I'll put it in spoiler tags, since it is a large pic and shows whole maps (but no events, so it isn't a huge spoiler). It just gives you an idea for how much South Isle is expanding into a legit area, now that it will play a role in the actual story of the game instead of being purely a side-quest area (although the side-quest for the Legendary Birds is still there, of course). Also, the Legend Festival event will be less hidden in the coming update (since a lot of people apparently missed the battle with Flannery that activated it).

Anyway, here is the updated map preview (still no event spoilers):
Spoiler:

Old June 17th, 2013, 12:53 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

The new map looks really cool and I like the new blocks you've been making as well (though I can't tell which ones were already in the previous release).

By the way, have you tried changing the ladder block on the mountains to "open" / "half-open" block where you can walk upwards and make a new ground block which contains the ladder part ? I think it might look a bit better that way.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
The new map looks really cool and I like the new blocks you've been making as well (though I can't tell which ones were already in the previous release).
Thanks! Glad you like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
By the way, have you tried changing the ladder block on the mountains to "open" / "half-open" block where you can walk upwards and make a new ground block which contains the ladder part ? I think it might look a bit better that way.
Are you saying have the small islands have a little tile of "beach" to land on instead of landing directly on the steps?

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:15 AM
CrystalMarina

Nature: Quiet
South Isle is looking good! Its cool how you made the forest without gates, like Ruby. And those new things you said you're adding sound neat! I was hoping I could play as Kris when you said there was a boy/girl option, but I'm sure the new girl is cool too.

Also, on the ruins of alph thing you guys talked about, I vote for making the map bigger instead of trying to move the gate around on the route.

Keep it up Mateo, lookin good!
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Thanks, glad you like it! I thought about making Kris the female player, but I decided to go with a new girl player instead (I made a new front sprite to go with the backsprite I was already using for the "disguised as a girl" event I was originally going to add. I can't remember if I've posted her here or not though, I know I have on Facebook. I'll go ahead and attach a screen anyway though showing her actual sprite since I've already shown some with her overworld.

The default names might still change though.

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Dimebag
Getcha' Pull !

That new sprite is looking awesome !!!

\m/ KYUSS \m/
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Thanks dude. Also, what do you think of the new expanded South Isle, or did you not want to look in the spoiler?

Old June 17th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Dimebag
Getcha' Pull !

Quote:
Thanks dude. Also, what do you think of the new expanded South Isle, or did you not want to look in the spoiler?
The new south isle looks awesome too !!! I can't wait for it !!! ( yeah i haven't viewed the spoiler tag but i couldn't help it... I HAD TO TAKE A LOOK !!! )
Old June 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Quote:
Thanks! Glad you like it

Are you saying have the small islands have a little tile of "beach" to land on instead of landing directly on the steps?
Actually, I tried to say the "stairs tile" might look better if it was located on the ground in the upper part of the map (on the right side of that house) instead of how it's now part of the mountain block.

Quote:
Thanks, glad you like it! I thought about making Kris the female player, but I decided to go with a new girl player instead (I made a new front sprite to go with the backsprite I was already using for the "disguised as a girl" event I was originally going to add. I can't remember if I've posted her here or not though, I know I have on Facebook. I'll go ahead and attach a screen anyway though showing her actual sprite since I've already shown some with her overworld.

The default names might still change though.
I liked the discussion scene you know. That should have stayed.

Oh well, being able to pick girl is pretty nice too. By the way, would it be too random if you still had to disguise yourself to the opposite gender? Erika might be interesting in only battling male opponents if you were playing as girl or something. I think that'd be cool.

Anyway, a good-looking girl sprite you've got there too.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old June 17th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miksy91
Actually, I tried to say the "stairs tile" might look better if it was located on the ground in the upper part of the map (on the right side of that house) instead of how it's now part of the mountain block.
Ah! Okay. That makes a lot more sense now. I'll see what I can do about that to make it look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miksy91
I liked the discussion scene you know. That should have stayed.

Oh well, being able to pick girl is pretty nice too. By the way, would it be too random if you still had to disguise yourself to the opposite gender? Erika might be interesting in only battling male opponents if you were playing as girl or something. I think that'd be cool.

Anyway, a good-looking girl sprite you've got there too.
I'll just have to see how it goes with the disguise part. I'd probably have to tweak the system again to make it work accurately, but I don't think it would make sense to have both genders have to be disguised to fight Erika. If I could come up with another place to make the girl dress as a guy I might add the Erika one back in with it. Or I could add one where you have to be disguised as Team Rocket or as a Pokemon or something weird like that.

I don't think it will be a priority with Pokemon Christmas, but I won't let the idea go to waste, and I already have it in my notes to include something like that in Spirits and Legends if I don't put it back in here.

Old June 17th, 2013, 05:30 PM
CrystalMarina

Nature: Quiet
Well, she's not Kris, but she seems fun! I like it
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links