The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, hens return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Team Fail

Nature: Brave
Ever since Pokémon had it's debut on the Gameboy back in the 90's, our little hero has been from a town:

R/B/Y/FR/LG- Pallet Town
G/S/C/HG/SS- New Bark Town
R/S/E- Littleroot Town
D/P/Pt- Twinleaf Town
B/W- Nuvema Town
B2/W2- Hiougi City

As of now, B2W2 is the only mainstream Pokémon series game in which the player starts in a city as opposed to a town.

What are your thoughts on this? Has it occured to you that the player is even starting in a City? Will it influence the game in any way? What role will Nuvema Town have now that none of the players are from it? Discuss.

Team Fail

Community Supporter Collab
☆ ☆ ☆

Old April 13th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Khrysta

It'll prolly be a town when its Localized XD

The "City" is kinda small to be a "City".
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Team Fail

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
It'll prolly be a town when its Localized XD

The "City" is kinda small to be a "City".
That'd be very unlikely. That'd be one heck of a localization error or change to the game. Long-time fans might burn down GF's American HQ if that were to happen. xD

Team Fail

Community Supporter Collab
☆ ☆ ☆

Old April 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura
I killed Syd's bf

Nature: Lax
Not really. It's actually written as, and faithfully stated as a city. We haven't seen too much of it to judge whether it actually qualifies for a city or not. :P

I think it's a fresh change of pace, even if only by name. I personally feel it would be a little more awesome if the player hailed from, say, Castelia or a city of Castelia's scale.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Forever

It doesn't really look like a city, though. Perhaps in the future... cities have become more popular? I mean I assume now that it's all advanced, everything is going to be technologically better, and bigger populations seem to be the way to go. :x

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Khrysta

Even on the map its painfully small. Pallet's map image may have been bigger....and may have had more building too from the basic description.
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Jellicent♀
ღ Fairy Wind ღ

Nature: Modest
It's about dang time. I'm a city boy at heart, even though I live in a SMALL town, but i love the big cities of the games. Whether or not this one is big will have to wait to be revealed, but as long as it isn't the three-four home cluster of houses, I'm good.

Let the little fairy in you fly!
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM
manomow
Do you like curry?

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
It doesn't really look like a city, though. Perhaps in the future... cities have become more popular? I mean I assume now that it's all advanced, everything is going to be technologically better, and bigger populations seem to be the way to go. :x
Yeah, ever since 2010 cities have become popular and become extremely advanced.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:04 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!

Nature: Calm
Hearing that it will have a Pokemon Center and Trainer's school(if I read it right, been a little while since I looked at the info), I'd expect it to be a decent size...As Jellicent said, as long as it is a bit bigger than the average 3 house village, and with the forementioned 'known' additions, it should be a nice change.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by manomow View Post
Yeah, ever since 2010 cities have become popular and become extremely advanced.
...oh well, okay, so maybe it can just be that the population has grown. Maybe Musicals attracted everyone to Unova and now they start building larger cities? DON'T KNOW BUT SEEMS LOGICAL.

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Archenoth
The arch foe

Nature: Lonely
I wouldn't mind in the player started in the city... As much as people seem to like to stick to a formula for most things, Pokemon has changed things we never thought it would change in the past. And that is often why the new games seem as fresh as they do.

I say go for it! I'll still buy it, and I'll probably love it.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Magmaruby and Aquasapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

The fact that the town has a PC and stores intrigues me more than the label of it as a city. There has to be a reason for why they would do that...my guess is that the city will play a larger role in the games compared to the past starter towns, heck maybe that's why they decided to label it as such, to make it seem important.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
This could mean a lot of thinks. Maybe they are trying to imply Unova is quite an advanced region and has developed a good amount of isn't dwelling places past the point of being a simple town. They wanted to break from tradition as they have done plenty this gen and start off with a town that has many stuff incorporated that regular starting towns would not.

As far as Nuvema is concerned I could see maybe a foreign professor visiting the lab there post game and giving you the option to choose a set of starters.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM

I had this theory before, in Nuvema you might be able to battle the old character (girl in black and boy in white or vise versa or maybe depending on your own player's gender).

I doubt Unova has advanced much all in these two years tech wise, the use of cities might be a nod to Johto the original sequel region being quite Urban, so they made west Unova urban too...
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura
I killed Syd's bf

Nature: Lax
I should raise this question: how do you know the starting town is "small"? The map artwork has little sense of scale as it only seems to show significant buildings. For all we know, the starting town will have a fair bunch of houses to justify calling it a city.

What I'm saying is, don't use the world map artwork we've been given to judge its size.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
I had this theory before, in Nuvema you might be able to battle the old character (girl in black and boy in white or vise versa or maybe depending on your own player's gender).

I doubt Unova has advanced much all in these two years tech wise, the use of cities might be a nod to Johto the original sequel region being quite Urban, so they made west Unova urban too...
Either that or Bianca since he can be faced there post main story. This is all depending they go anywhere with here.

Imo Johto wasn't any more urban that Kanto. Sure both had their sparsely populated areas with far out routes. But Kanto had some huge cities like Saffron, Celadon, and Vermillion. If any region showed urban growth it would seem to be Sinnoh.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old April 13th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Turn-it
Coordinator/Elite Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
I honestly think it being a city or town, not much is going to change. It may be a little bit bigger than regular towns but I honestly think the only thing that's different is rather than calling it a town they called it a city! lol
Old April 13th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Jellicent♀
ღ Fairy Wind ღ

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
I should raise this question: how do you know the starting town is "small"? The map artwork has little sense of scale as it only seems to show significant buildings. For all we know, the starting town will have a fair bunch of houses to justify calling it a city.

What I'm saying is, don't use the world map artwork we've been given to judge its size.
True dat. I hope it's a big city. I'd be extremely excited if it were. Town, COMPUTER TO SWITCH POKEMON, and whatnot, that'd be awesome. I don't think it'd make that much of an impact on the game, but it being big would make it a bit more fun, imo.

Let the little fairy in you fly!
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:17 PM
The Void
No escape.

Wheeee a building beside the house! Or wait, is that just the professor's lab? Regardless, it's still quite a big city, somewhat like Rustboro City or Petalburg City maybe, so it's still legit enough to be considered a "city" lol. Also, it's somewhat near Twist Mountain so it's probably somewhere near Mistralton City as well xD

Old April 13th, 2012, 11:26 PM

The city might be a small city like Mauville in Hoenn if not big like Saffron, Golden rod, Nimbasa or Opelucid.

Either way it might simply be gimmick...which by the looks of things is working, it has our attention...
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Khrysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post

World map is usually to scale. If it were small it was usually small. Based from the screenshots from CoroCoro and the new trailer I'll go out on a limb and say there are at most 5 buildings. Rival's house, Your House, Trainer School, Pokemon Center, and one random building.
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:40 PM

^ That random building might be the prof's lab where we get our starter. So yeah the city is quite small compared to the rest in terms of buildings...much like Mauville city...
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
I never realised this but like others are saying it does look too small to be classed as a city.

Old April 14th, 2012, 03:34 AM
dannyboy601
Musician-in-Training

Maybe Nuvema Town will only serve as a location you can fly to to quickly access Route 17/18, with only a few notable purposes such as battling Bianca or meeting Professor Juniper to get your Pokédex upgraded.

Old April 14th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Welcome to York County, SC!

Nature: Quirky
FINALLY!

I've grown quite tired of the trainer being from some random nowhere town. As one who's had to suffer living in the country for far too long, I cannot begin to tell you how refreshing it will be to begin a Pokemon game in, and have your character be a citizen of, an actual city.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari: