The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Brendonwii
Gooby pls

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
Yes, I bought it on eBay about 8 years ago. (Wow, that long ago).
It's pretty much the same game with different sprites and Pokemon.
However, I glitched it by trading to an Australian version after getting to 6th gym. Haven't touch it since then. \:

Old June 14th, 2012, 11:50 AM
RainHF
Beginning Trainer

I recently bought a copy of green, replaced the battery and now I am ready to catch em all.
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Xebelleon
Netscape Navigator

Nature: Quirky
No.

Have seen game carts labelled as Pokemon Green and found it strange that the cartridge was similar to the blacks of GB Color titles.
Old June 17th, 2012, 02:39 PM
XDragonRiderX
My oh my, how time has passed.

Nature: Serious
Bought a boxed version, still waiting for a battery because the one in the Green is dead.
I also have a fake Green, but it won't load for some reason.

Old June 17th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hoenn
» Mind games
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Yes, I've played it on somebody's Gameboy Colour years ago but I don't personally own it. Plus it's the only mainstream game I don't own.

Old July 4th, 2012, 09:49 AM
bluebandit216
Beginning Trainer

No I haven't but I always wanted to lol. There was a rather funny hack made called engrish green. It was a literal translation of the script from green into english. Needless to say it was very bad.
Old July 19th, 2012, 01:25 PM
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

I have only played the "English" ROM long time ago. My English was weak back then so I didn't have any problems with the bad translation. Maybe I'll replay it one of these days. I hope that the translation is so bad it's funny and not just bad.
Old July 19th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Ravenfreak
Raven rocks! :D

Nature: Brave
Yes I have actually. Well a ROM of it but meh. xP I've also played the poorly translated ROM as well. xD I was supposed to get a copy of the game, along with every other first gen game in Japanese, but the guy on Ebay never shipped them off... >.>

Challenges completed:
Combined Pokemon Solo Challenge-Using Katie the Venusaur in Blue final Level:70
Defeat the Elite Four + Champion with 1 Pokemon!-Using Katie the Venusaur in Blue Level:74
Combined Pokemon Solo Challenge-Using Swampert in Ruby Level:67
Love Sonic the hedgehog? Come join The Final Zone today!
http://thefinalzone.org/
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:35 PM
death_note
Beginning Trainer

nope, I only have Red and Yellow
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Algo Fonix
oh god

I've played more of Green than any other Gen 1 game. I'm at Victory Road now. Been there for over a year. Should probably pick it back up sometime.
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:37 AM
VinceLevi
Do A Barrel Roll!

Nature: Quiet
I have! For the Ultimate Solo challenge actually. It was frustrating to be unable to read. Overall, it was just like Red and Blue, although I encountered a lot more glitches than I think I should have. Plus I couldn't get Missingno to appear. *shrugs*
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:30 AM
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
I don't think I could get into it if I couldn't read stuff D: I know the story and stuff, but y'know, I'd still like to be able to read. And when a Pokémon wanted to learn a new move and stuff I wouldn't know which move it was without the aid of Bulbapedia or something... so I don't think I'll ever play it.

Old July 25th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Rayshin
Fak.

I did, on a cartridge imported from Japan since 2004. Bad news though, it broke when my baby brother spilled his milk on it. Frustrating to read though, with the Japanese characters and such.
Old July 25th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Why would I play green when there is a English version of it? In fact, I don't have any kanto games in my possession, although I used to have a copy of one of them several years ago.

I'm hunting down for a copy of a old gen 1 game!
Old July 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Dartht33bagger
Only plays Gen I and II

I own it. I bought it off Ebay about 4 years ago now (wow I can't believe it's been that long). I only got to the 4th gym before I quit because playing in Japanese became too difficult.
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:19 AM
DaleH771
I know who you are.

Did anyone look up "Lavender Town Syndrome"? Apparently the high pitch notes and stuff from the Lavender Town music from the original Japanse version of Green caused hearing problems and swelling of the brain of young children, causing potential deaths. They apparently changed the music for UK and other releases of the colour games.

Demo coming soon!
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:01 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleH771 View Post
Did anyone look up "Lavender Town Syndrome"? Apparently the high pitch notes and stuff from the Lavender Town music from the original Japanse version of Green caused hearing problems and swelling of the brain of young children, causing potential deaths. They apparently changed the music for UK and other releases of the colour games.

That's an old rumor/creepypasta and not true.
Old August 8th, 2012, 05:18 AM
ScaryDodge
I'm a Fire Type Master

Nature: Jolly
one cousin of my friend have a original japanese green xD
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:23 AM
rubin
czytała Krystyna Czubówna

Nature: Sassy
Yep, bought in on eBay 1,5 year ago. Thunderbolt animation still gives me nightmares xD
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:31 PM
shadexpwn
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Bold
I never got a chance to play it, but was confused as when I was going to buy it it was in pure Japanese. I wanted to try and play Bulbasaur for the first time so I just restarted blue version to save some hassle of trying to find a real green version.
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:16 AM
bewbs
~Chloe~

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bewbs Send a message via Skype™ to bewbs
I bought Pokemon green and been playing it recently. I like it, I actually find it more of a challenge compared to the english counterparts because I don't know the Japanese language, I'm trying to figure out which moves are which. I actually like some of the green sprites more than some of the blue/red/yellow. They're not the best but they're fabulous.

Old August 18th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Nope, never. Not sure if I'd want to, either, given it's only in Japanese, which I can't read. D=
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Elzar
Beginning Trainer

I have played it but only more recently and not when it was new. I purchased a copy of it on amazon for $30 back in February, not sure if i over paid lol. Anyway it was quite easy to play even being in another language, when you have played the american equivalents dozens of times its hard not to know whats going on lol. I have to say i really loved the slight differences like pokemon location in the wild and the different floor plan in the Unknown Dungeon. Also not sure if anyone has tried but if you haven't dont... do not try to trade between the Japanese cartridge and the american ones, it will corrupt your save files... lesson learned!

After completing the game i was pleased enough to the point where i also purchased a copy or Japanese Yellow but sadly i haven't played that one very far and its collecting dust on the game shelf. I do intend to get it off eventually though and play it one time through at least.
Old August 19th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Bourne-mouth
Trainer

Nope, I never did. I can't see myself playing a game with a language I can't comprehend.

I might as well try the patched version, but I'm a little irked by the graphics...
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:47 PM
Pingouin7
¬‿¬
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Yeah, I own a copy.
Got to the fourth gym, got the badge, then I decided to restart because I wanted to play Green with Bulbasaur, Blue with Squirtle and Red with Charmander.
Never got around to actually doing it, so it's sitting there, not collecting dust since I take good care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothxx View Post
I've only ever played the ROM version, and I think its awesome that you actually have the cartridge. But something that would also be super cool, is if an American actually owned a rare copy of the Japanese Blue Version.
Eh, Japanese Blue really isn't rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltianqueen View Post
I did see a Green cartridge for sale at an anime convention a few weeks ago. I would've bought it, but it was $30, so..
Good thing you didn't buy it, $30 for Green is a rip-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosehudson View Post
Been playing this, was gonna try and message the creator to see if I could get the ips. posted here, for what seems like such a simple a lot of work clearly went into this
http://hax.iimarck.us/topic/729/
Gotta click on version number to download patches on Romhacking.net btw.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here