Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: Do you like Pokemon World Tournament?
Yes! I love this new feature! 172 89.58%
No, I don't like this new feature! 2 1.04%
Maybe, I am not sure I like or don't like this new feature. 18 9.38%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 12th, 2012 (06:17 PM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Was Emerald not cannon, or will Wallace appear later as champ...
I'm also starting to think GF is hiding something...Steven has been the only Hoenn character to appear out of that region, I mean HgSs had three Sinnoh cameo's and so far they don't show any Hoenn gym leaders...
Either way I do wonder how many of the gym leaders will appear. Also I want Red to appear too! Maybe he can be the one we challenge after winning the match against the rest...
Old May 12th, 2012 (06:34 PM).
bwburke94
NEW RUN STARTS AUGUST 1! 000/721

Nature: Relaxed
This thread isn't about the Steven/Wallace champion debate, but Wallace might show up and he might not. A full 4-region Gym Leader Castle isn't gonna happen, though.

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5804-7602

I'm just a little crazy sometimes.
OK, a lot crazy all the time.

My romhacks and Essentials games are on hold until Essentials is updated.
Old May 12th, 2012 (06:44 PM).
Xander Olivieri

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
This is also the first media coverage of the World Tournament. Steven was never a Gym Leader so he's got to be Hoenn's current Champion representing Hoenn. I can see them releasing more info on this next week on Smash.
Old May 12th, 2012 (08:04 PM).
Aquarius1997
The Horoscopical Master

Nature: Quirky
Kinda happy this is happening but i see a major flaw

Pokemon cant implement this feature into the next few generations because it would be quite redundant(the only new thing would probably be new teams or movesets)

Other than that i LOVE the idea

The Aquarius loves a party. Anytime, anywhere is their motto. It is not unlikely that an Aquarius will consider a wake a good place to meet chicks. Aquarians love to be naked. It is even better if they are naked and crocked. Froot Loops is a very Aquarian cereal. So is Rice Krispies, since it will engage in a friendly chat with the Aquarian as he or she is eating breakfast. Count Chocula is off-limits, however. It belongs to the Scorpios. Aquarians use the phrase "Dude, man..." frequently when describing philosophical concepts. Aquarians have out-of-body experiences on a daily basis. If you are talking to an Aquarian and he or she zones out, consider the conversation hopeless. He or she is talking to the guy three feet away from you. Aquarians are fun because they channel people. Plus, if you tell them to, they will run around naked. Aquarians like astronomy because they've been to all those places. If you want to know what the food is like on Saturn, ask an Aquarius. Aquarians can allow themselves every possible vice on the planet, and don't think twice about it. That is why they piss everyone else off. They are cosmically entitled to do this.
Old May 12th, 2012 (10:30 PM).
Forever
let it go

I wonder what the teams will be for the tournament, actually. Anyone think to follow the theme from B/W's elite four it might be 4 Pokemon per gym leader - then 6 for the champion? Then maybeeee the level increase goes up each region, so say 50 @ Kanto +5 for champ, 60 @ Johto +5 for champ, 70 @ Hoenn +5 for champ, 80 @ Sinnoh +5 for champ.That is of course if they ARE including the other regions' gym leaders. :x
Old May 12th, 2012 (11:26 PM).
Asuf
Dragon Tamer

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Asuf
This is such a great idea! (which many others have said )
But seriously though, I wonder if they are going to include everyone? I'm glad there's going to be more to do post game this time.

Old May 13th, 2012 (03:05 AM).
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Well, my guesses are that

(a) Wallace is a Gym Leader, Steven is Champion, Juan from Emerald is the no-show.
(b) If it's three on three battles as some have speculated, it'll probably be done Tower/Frontier style where their levels are adjusted to match your strongest Pokemon's.
(c) Brackets are probably goign to be randomized if it is indeed everyone.

And I'm going to reiterate, a certain someone really should stay out of this and remain on his little frozen mountain. He's shown up in 10 games already and needs to be given a rest, and since he doesn't speak, he strikes me as the antisocial type who wouldn't want to be in the public eye at an event like this. If he shows up, that could be the final nail in the coffin as far as me buying the games.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old May 13th, 2012 (03:39 AM).
Blue
corruption
Community Supporter

If you notice as the tournament there is only 3 Pokémon per leader/champion etc. so I wonder why it's so limited, it's kind of like a battle frontier in a way.

Team Platinum
Old May 13th, 2012 (03:45 AM).
Forever
let it go

There is? I must be blind. :( If Brock is the first one I don't want Geodude, Graveller and Golem. Just saying. :x
Old May 13th, 2012 (03:47 AM). Edited May 13th, 2012 by RetroRoller.
RetroRoller
Pop-Punk Pizza Party

Nature: Jolly
I don't see why some people are EXTREMELY excited about this. I just think it's gonna be a cool addition to game that may possibly be as boring as it's predecessor once you've beaten it. Anyway, here's what I think.

First off, Giovanni? I like the fact he's gonna show up, but is it gonna spark Maxie/Archie to tag along as well? Heck even Cyrus might show up on his Giratina to crash the party.

I actually think it's likely, that as it has been done in other games before, although the only example I can think of is getting Ho-Oh after beating 100 Mt. Battle trainers...

Red will probably show up, but I'm thinking ONLY after you've beaten several trainers consecutively or something similar.

If the World Tournament repeats, (like, you beat it once and you can do it again) you'd probably have to win the thing consecutively to see him.

If Red was to show up, it might mean the other protagonists would too. Kris, Ethan, Brendan/May, Lucas, heck, even Hilbert/Hilda...

Quote:
If it's three on three battles as some have speculated, it'll probably be done Tower/Frontier style where their levels are adjusted to match your strongest Pokemon's.
Yes, something did strike me as being a tad "Battle Dome" about this. My guess is it's just a grand version of the Dome. Needless to say if that's the case I'm excited. I loved the Battle Dome and Pike from Emerald.

Quote:
Pokemon cant implement this feature into the next few generations because it would be quite redundant(the only new thing would probably be new teams or movesets)
This is what I was thinking as well. My only conclusion for this is that Pokemon are going to finish off their Generation with something grand and that will be well remembered before they move on to something better. Because, it's quite clear the next Pokemon game after BW2 will be for 3DS, (you know, seeing as the 3DS is one of Nintendo's Proudest Achievements and Pokemon is it's crown jewel) which will probably mean they're upping the generation to VI.

Quote:
I imagine the tournament system will be a bit like the Battle Dome in Pokemon Emerald. Although instead of battling with just two Pokemon, you battle with 3 (going by the screens).
After squinting my eyes, I think it'll play out like the original Battle Dome. 1v1, winner faces winner etc. But the fact half the participants are outlined in Red and the other half are in Blue I see your point.

Also, I can't see it too well but on the CoroCoro screens, there look like some more sprites I can't make them out. Yes, I can see the Gym Leader sprites in the Tourney screen but I'm talking about the right hand side, I can't see it too well, but they're probably just more Gym Leaders...

I map for the Source SDK and dabble in ROM Hacking hmu.
Old May 13th, 2012 (05:14 AM).
MarioManH
~Ruby is Omega~
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Aquarius1997:

I kind of agree(To the New Teams + MS Idea), but they can pull off how they did the BF(Same one in Platinum and HG/SS), but it can be that it just got moved to that certain region for that certain time. Also I predict when you first arrive they will say that its in Unova for that certain time period.

3DS FC -
0361-6894-4238
My name for my 3DS is CookieS. and my Y name is Hunter, just so you know who to trade with!

Old May 13th, 2012 (05:58 AM).
Briankelly130
Beginning Trainer

I'm loving this feature, I've always liked when the games allow you to rebattle the Gym Leaders again, this way, it's five generations of Gym Leaders and that makes me very happy.
Old May 13th, 2012 (06:05 AM).
RedJ
Let us start the game.

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by RetroRoller:
First off, Giovanni? I like the fact he's gonna show up, but is it gonna spark Maxie/Archie to tag along as well? Heck even Cyrus might show up on his Giratina to crash the party.
Except they weren't Gym Leaders, and Giovanni was. The only other Team Whatever member that has any chance of showing up would be N, seeing as he was Champion at one point (at least I think- I haven't beaten B/W yet, but from what I've read he beat Alder, so).

Trade Review Thread | Pokemon Spreadsheet
Friend Safari: Ice- Delibird/Bergmite/Dewgong
Old May 13th, 2012 (06:29 AM).
Kaori
tragedy

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
Quote originally posted by redjacketalchemist:
Except they weren't Gym Leaders, and Giovanni was. The only other Team Whatever member that has any chance of showing up would be N, seeing as he was Champion at one point (at least I think- I haven't beaten B/W yet, but from what I've read he beat Alder, so).
Oh this is true. N could possibly be the new champion of Unova even, if Alder isn't. But if that's the case, then I think Alder should appear in the tournament instead.

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old May 13th, 2012 (06:43 AM).
XtinaIsMeLuvinWWE

This is super cool to me, I'm just ridiculously excited at the thought of seeing all the gang (as in, my fave gym leaders etc lol) back together!! :D :D :D
Old May 13th, 2012 (07:23 AM).
Xander Olivieri

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Serebii says you can download the rest of the Champions and Gym Leaders through special events to participate in the World Tournament so we can get all of them when they are released.

Pokemon Trainers: Gotta Collect 'em all~
Old May 13th, 2012 (07:53 AM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
So it appears that it's another download characters like in Conquest with the character stories...I guess we might see more of these download characters by Wi-fi soon...that makes me feel like this isn't canon...
Old May 13th, 2012 (09:47 AM).
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
Its probably not going to be canon which is why Gary(Blue/Green), Giovanni, Steven, Lance still have prior generation art work. Kind of reminds me of what they are currently doing with Fire Emblem Awakening where they have Downloadable characters. So every so often Nintendo issues new downloadable characters and they are just their for the sole reason of fighting and have no bearing upon anything outside of the Tournament.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old May 13th, 2012 (10:32 AM). Edited May 13th, 2012 by Kenmoor.
Kenmoor
Beginning Trainer

If it's going to be 3vs.3 and tag battles then who are we going to fight with? I doubt it if we get paired with people like Giovanni, Blue, and all those rough people who would like to beat us up instead. We'll probably get paired with those nice people such as Erika, Bugsy, etc.

Tag battle opponents anyone? They don't have to be mono-types but I can't think of any dual/mixed-types right now. Here's a few: Blaine and Flannery. Koga and Janine. Volkner and Elesa . Tate and Lisa... oh wait.
(I swear if anyone starts some shipping on this i'll-... I don't know anymore...)

Will they have this random island for the location? I don't seem to remember an island big enough for all this in Black and White. Unless they make this random island like Fullmoon and Victory. (Just appearing on the map like that... thought I was hallucinating for a minute...) Or the location could be in a cave. Or in the sky for that matter. I always wanted a location/building in the sky in Pokemon.

Stuff-
http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/worldtournament.shtml
http://www.jefusion.com/2012/05/pokemon-black-white-2-features.html
http://geek.pikimal.com/2012/05/13/new-pokemon-black-2-white-2-details-tease-hollywood-minigame/
Don't know if this post sticks to the thread... feel free to delete!
Old May 13th, 2012 (11:49 AM). Edited May 13th, 2012 by RetroRoller.
RetroRoller
Pop-Punk Pizza Party

Quote:
Oh yeah, I didn't think about that

Hmm... it's likely N will have something to do with the BW2 storyline... this might mean something happens to him (for example, he runs off again) which could make him not appear in the Tournament.

I map for the Source SDK and dabble in ROM Hacking hmu.
Old May 13th, 2012 (11:49 AM).
bwburke94
NEW RUN STARTS AUGUST 1! 000/721

Does it matter if it's canon or not?

(Fun fact: if GF is lazy and uses the Unova music, Lance will have used five different battle themes, with him gaining one new theme in each generation. This total excludes Stadium.)

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5804-7602

I'm just a little crazy sometimes.
OK, a lot crazy all the time.

My romhacks and Essentials games are on hold until Essentials is updated.
Old May 13th, 2012 (01:04 PM).
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Well, I feel better about this idea now that the trainers are downloadable. So, if there's a particular character who you don't want to see, you can just not download their data (as long as they're not one of the pre-programmed defaults). I'm kinda hoping yo can download individually and not in "packs" for fear of my favorite character being lumped with one I don't want.

And since it's allegedly non-canon, it might just be the ticket to see my beloved Leaf again Just don't package her with you-know-who, okay, Gamefreak?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old May 13th, 2012 (01:40 PM).
KingCyndaquil
Pokemon Master

Quote originally posted by Kaori:

Oh this is true. N could possibly be the new champion of Unova even, if Alder isn't. But if that's the case, then I think Alder should appear in the tournament instead.
CoroCoro already said that nobody knows where N is, i'm guessing thats the biases of the actual story

3DS FC: 4184-2489-6268 (Pokemon Y)
Old May 13th, 2012 (02:15 PM).
JP
wut?
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Patchisou Yutohru:
What real Pokemon fan wouldn't like this?
This sums it up well. I've been wanting a feature like this for a long time and that cafe/bar/whatever in Platinum was a step in the right direction and this kinda takes it a few steps farther. Excited to see how it all pans out, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed. I do wonder if we'll get to battle any of the previous protagonists though? (I'm guessing the last two from B&W1 will appear here.)
Old May 13th, 2012 (04:29 PM). Edited May 13th, 2012 by Kirbychu.
Kirbychu
Scyther

Nature: Naughty
I like it, but it sort of screws with the continuity, just a tiny bit. BW takes place sometime after DPPt, right? And B2W2 takes place two years after that. The characters haven't changed at all over that time (Most likely because Game Freak didn't see the point in updating all the designs of all the trainers).

That aside, it's cool to see old faces again. I've always liked tournaments in Pokemon games.

Quote originally posted by Elite Overlord LeSabre™:
And since it's allegedly non-canon
Now that I think about it, that's probably the case.

Paired to cr4y

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links