The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Trade Corner

Notices

Trade Corner Having trouble completing your Pokédex? Looking for a certain Pokémon or have a rare one to offer? This is your forum. Everything related to wireless trades can be discussed here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:41 AM
greg0915
Tomorrow is a new day
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Personally I think Pokecheck has ruined trading...! I mean I used to collect DW females for breeding but now Pokecheck has come along my DW's are useless! you can get much better IV'd pokemon and for free so my 160+ DW females are useless now and also why trade to obtain a pokemon when you can much it's much easier, quicker and free to download someone else's. However there are good sides to Pokecheck, most notably hack checking. I also use pokecheck for checking EV's and IV's of mine and other's pokemon.
Old July 5th, 2012, 10:04 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
After 1300 hours of pokemon and battle tower, I think I earned a short cut. I'm not a child anymore. There are only so many pokemon I can spend a week breeding and EV training. I want to expirement with a Hydragon, but he takes forever to level up, plus breeding time, plus EV training time.

On Wi-Fi, I wish the game could tell the difference and ban these copied pokemon. Battles are more fun with YOUR pokemon.
Old July 6th, 2012, 07:39 AM
NavySealGR

Pokecheeck its cool,easy to check ivs,legitimacy and maybe get perfect parents for breeding or rng breeding.But,i believe it really had a huge impact on the trading world.If you trade those pokes they are hacks,and im retty sure people will scam others abusing this rule.Furthermore,it makes getting not just a poke,but a flawless poke EASY.Personally i introduced pokecheck to a guy,and i regreted it.He was going to learn how to battle and rng,but he quited because he just found everything without working for them...
Old July 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
I just tried Pokecheck.org for the first time to see how it works.

The pokemon you download have Primer Ribbons, so they can not be traded on GTS. They could still be traded locally, I think.

If they could somehow do the same thing for online battles, that would be a fair deal for everybody. "You can use pokecheck mons in your private game cartrage, but it has a special ribbon that bans it from trades and online battles."

People could experiment with pokemon, and then decide if it is worth the immense time sink for raising a legitimate one for Online Play.

However, That isn't the way things are... yet.
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Gonzo
RNG Sommelier
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Yes, you ca trade those Pokemon via wireless and WiFi (but not GTS). All 4th Gen events have this ribbon so, lol - you can trade them.

Pokecheck Pokemon are banned from official events as ribbon make them look like hacked but you can use them on random matchup, for example.

クリムガン
It races through narrow caves, using its sharp claws to catch prey. The skin on its face is harder than a rock.

PokéCommunity Supporter Collab

Pair | Family
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Skitty1
Highlight my signature :)

If I want to trade I don't like the idea of being screened not that I would trade a cheated Pokemon but still.
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Necrum
I'm not evil, I'm morally challenged

Nature: Adamant
I think Pokecheck has pieces on both the positive, and the negative. On the one hand, we now have a way to effectively check for hacked Pokemon, even if it's still not perfect and hackers are always getting better.

On the other hand, it opens up the ability for people to get a hold of just about any Pokemon they want, even though it would have a ribbon, which leaves people wondering just why they would need to trade any more. In just a few days, a person could easily complete the National Pokedex, leaving the need to trade completely moot.

Personally, I think the positive outweighs the negative, as I can provide people with a clear picture of what my offerings look like, and confirm my breeds are up to par with requests. I do think it has slowed down trading, but so has the simple ability to hack Pokemon. I think plenty of people still like to trade Pokemon the old fashion way, and as long as that's the case we will still have a place here on the forums.
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
bugsy555

I used pokecheck to transfer my pokemon from ss to white 2!! I have no access to a second ds and i was looking for a way to do it without one and i found pokecheck! And best of all, they didnt put a ribbon on my poketransfer pokemon.

Get behind Maruno's Pokemon Trading Card Game Mod for Pokemon Essentials!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=288773
Help him to make this awesome idea a reality!
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:01 PM
JalordaSerpent
Run, you clever boy...
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
I personally love Pokecheck's ability for me to transfer 4th Gen to 5th gen via PokeTransfer method, with just 1 DS. It is very convenient for me. It is also extremely useful for getting exact IVs and EVs and not ranges from any normal IV Calculator. Again, it is also really useful for finding my SID for RNGing, and also checking Pokemon for legality.

On the other hand though, Pokecheck has extremely hindered trading now. Back in the day, you met up with someone and set up a meeting to trade what Pokemon you desire, or you could use random GTS and enjoy it when you get a trade out of it. Now with Pokecheck, literally anyone with a WiFi connection can get flawless IV/EV/Shiny Pokemon with just a few clicks. In my opinion, it's cheaty and not right for a person who actually takes their time to RNG/hunt.

That is just my own opinion; I'm sure many people have other views. But what is true is that Pokecheck has extremely changed how trading works, and I'm afraid it will never go back to the way it was meant to be.
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
I haven't really checked the trading situation since D/P/Pt so I've just read up on this after being intrigued by the thread.

Having recently bought and completed Black 2 and current playing Heart Gold, this site sounds like a godsend for me. I've been worrying about how I was going to transfer my Heart Gold pokemon over since I bought them both. Some of the other uses make it sound nifty too.

While it does hinder trading in some aspects, there's always going to be something stupid that ruins trading (Action Replay for example) so this is probably one of the more positive tools that does that.

It also defeats the horrible mechanic of IVs if I'm reading people's opinions correctly.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:10 PM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
I think Pokecheck fills a very good niche well. It allows people who are willing to cheat to cheat, but it doesn't force anyone else to use them. By tagging cloned/illegal pokemon with a ribbon, it makes illegitimate pokemon easy to spot, the way it should be.

I don't believe it's any problem if someone breeds from a hacked Pokemon, since the resulting pokemon is naturally generated.

I respect that some people may not want to cheat or own Pokemon that are otherwise illegal, that is having attributes that are not possible naturally. But I define illegal as anything that is obtained by exploiting the code. This does not include the art of RNG abuse, which exploits knowledge of how the PRNG in the game works, not the game code itself.

I don't like that some people might think that Pokemon bred from these "illegal" Pokemon are any less legal. They're not. Breeding re-introduces the randomness that the game designers intended, so requires the user to work at breeding.

I don't believe it harms trading, because there will still always be a demand for "Legal" Pokemon. The ease of getting "Hacks" is high. A trade will still always be as it's intended, a social experience, and it will become more valuable.

I actually believe Pokecheck is an improvement. It discourages people from passing off illegal Pokemon in a trade because they can get exactly what they want, made to order, from Pokecheck instead of scamming people who put in good honest work by legitimately obtaining their Pokemon in the game.

Pokecheck also maximizes the good one can do by putting hard work into creating Pokemon and distributing them to many people, rather than one, and do so without contributing to the problems that make Wifi trading unusable to players who don't like illegal pokemon.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old June 1st, 2013, 02:38 PM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Uhm, actually, Pokecheck doesn't tag clones and hacks with a ribbon. What it does is it tags anything you download that isn't yours with a ribbon, basically turning legit/legal stuff into hacks. If you're cloning your own Pokemon, you have to be careful to hit the right button, or else you'll download a copy of your own Pokemon... with a ribbon. There's a different button for cloning.

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:43 AM
Necrum

This also means that someone who doesn't have the means to extract saves can still bring hacks to their game, as long as the Pokemon matches their OT they can import as many hacked Pokemon WITHOUT a ribbon as they like. This is certainly not a good thing, especially since they can use Pokecheck to make sure the Pokemon looks legal for all intents and purposes.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Eh, that's been going on since before the rise of Pokecheck though. Unfortunately, no matter what, there'll always be hacks floating around. X & Y only brings new hacking potential, and doesn't affect the old.

- - - -
Old June 2nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
twistedpuppy
Siriusly Twisted

Nature: Timid
What Griffinbane said. Before the existence of Pokécheck, there's been Pokésav, PokéGen, Action Replay, Legal.exe, storage devices, and various other methods to help hackers...hack. Good and bad hacks will always be spread around (like herpes).
Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:52 PM
Necrum

But Pokecheck let people with no experience get their hacks to their game with ease. That's all I'm saying. Not that there wasn't hacking, but that it made it easier for people to do it, especially with how prominent the whole site has become in the Pokemon Community in general.
Old June 6th, 2013, 01:34 PM
twistedpuppy
Siriusly Twisted

Nature: Timid
It used to be that people who had no experience in hacking just used an AR (bad hacks). The "better" hacks were made by people who already had the resources to distribute pkm files. Pokécheck does give hackers without resources the means to distribute, but Pokécheck's role isn't as damaging as pokegts is.
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Gonzo
RNG Sommelier
Community Supporter

Also, your arguments, Necrum, miss the most important things:

1. Pokecheck was made as a site for checking legality and sharing legit Pokemon. Hacks are minority. Pokecheck adds the ribbon to protect Pokemon from being redistributed on GTS, so it allows you to use it on your own, except official tourneys where judges know that ribbon indicates hacking. So basically, for your collection/dex filler/breeding parent or utility Pokemon (specific nature Synchronizer or specific gender and gender ratio Cute Charmer for RNG) those Pokemon are viable. Also, you can use them in WiFi battles, whether Random or via FC system because battle videos of those Pokemon aren't blocked when you're trying to upload them. It's just useless when you want to trade it and/or want to use it at official events.

2. The biggest thing that you're trying to skip is that Pokecheck does not provide any hacking tools on the site or for download.

3. I don't know the policy on not removing hacks from Pokecheck, but the user is fully acknowledged, because legality analysis of any public Pokemon is showed within its details. Also, before Genesect, Meloetta and Keldeo were released when you were trying to get a clone of obviously hacked copies of them, the site warned you that you'll get temporarily banned from Dream World for having those Pokemon's Dex entries.

Everything has its flaws and dark sides, but that's when your brain comes in to use given tools wisely.

I re-read my post (#11) I made more than one year ago about Pokecheck and I must say nothing changed, really, lol.

クリムガン
It races through narrow caves, using its sharp claws to catch prey. The skin on its face is harder than a rock.

Pair | Family
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Absol
Community Supporter

In my opinion, I think Pokecheck does take away a lot of trading, especially for us breeders. Instead of trading with others to get the parents we need we go to Pokecheck and download the parents we need. Although I generally try to avoid Pokecheck and find the parents I need from traders here on PC, it's still too easy to just go to Pokecheck and download the Pokemon instantly. But Pokecheck is also a very good resource for those of us who have no other way of checking a Pokemon's legitimacy and can be used for cloning Pokemon with the OT you have registered for those who don't have any other means of doing so. So I guess Pokecheck is both bad and good for trading, it just depends on how you look at it.
Old June 6th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Necrum

Gonzo, I don't know why you're fighting me, I'm not trying to make any sort of case against Pokecheck, just commenting on the effects it has on people's ability to hack. I'm not arguing or trying to make some point. Sure, yes it adds a ribbon, but if someone sends a hack to their game with Pokecheck, and then trades it, the other person won't see that til they receive it, so really that only helps on GTS. What I specifically meant, was that if a PKM file is hacked using your OT info, you can use Pokecheck to send that hack without a Ribbon even, as long as the OT is registered. I love Pokecheck, but there is still people who exploit it for their own gain. It has both positive, and negative effects as I said in my first post here.
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Gonzo
RNG Sommelier
Community Supporter

I'm not fighting you, whatsoever. I just found your post being pretty false and misleading so I wanted to clear things up.

Quote:
and then trades it, the other person won't see that til they receive it
During the final selection of Pokemon, you can view its summary and its Ribbons.

Quote:
What I specifically meant, was that if a PKM file is hacked using your OT info, you can use Pokecheck to send that hack without a Ribbon even, as long as the OT is registered.
You can protect your Pokemon (so in this case, a hack with your OT, ID and SID) from being uploaded as public if you've registered your file, so I don't think it's even a tiny problem. The only person who'd be able to use the hack would be hacker himself.

Pretty much everyone said it has good and bad sides, but -- no offense -- you're exaggerating the cons of it.

クリムガン

Pair | Family
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Necrum

I didn't mean a hacker hacking your OT, I meant if you were a hacker, and you hacked a mon to have your OT, you can use Pokecheck to import that hack without a ribbon. This is all I've been trying to get at really.

Maybe I did exaggerate a bit on some of the other points, but I think there are still some real problems with Pokecheck. Either way, I do believe the Pros outweigh the Cons.

Last edited by Necrum; June 7th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Call me Gamma
Dusty Old Trainer

Nature: Jolly
I think Pokecheck, like any other outside influence on the game, will always represent a struggle for power between hackers and those trying to make sure they weren't victims of those hackers. Ultimately, it's a resource that allows people to create fakes and make them look legal. Working hard to breed perfect pokemon also flies out the window when you can just create the parents you need.

I guess I'm just a purist when it comes to all of this. The game was never meant to be played with the use of pokecheck, AR, or RNG. I think anything outside of the game cart itself is a detriment to the way the game is meant to be played. I've been playing pokemon for almost 15 years and will always prefer trading for the pokemon I need. Pokecheck takes the first pokemon movie and makes it a horrifying reality.

In closing, I wish Nintendo was more adamant about preventing these outside influences. Of course with 6th Gen on the horizon we may see a round turn on that.
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM
~cleaskulty~
It's contagious

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to ~cleaskulty~
The legality checks as well as the ability to check EVs, IVs, and your SID without the use of Action Replay is great.

I don't agree with the constant download of .pkm files, however. Using Pokemon that have already been trained with perfect movesets, IV's, EV's, and natures really takes the fun and challenge out of Pokemon. But then again, people who do that aren't really affecting me personally, so it's none of my business.
Old June 7th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Nintendo can't prevent stuff like ARs from editing and messing around with their games. There was this article I read on Wikipedia (don't use Wiki as a source for your papers, kids) about how Nintendo sued the makers of hacking devices in order to prevent those makers from making profit off Nintendo games. Nintendo lost and had to pay this massive fee to the hacking device makers and since then, stuff like this has been running around rampant. Mind, this is only stuff like GameSharks and Action Replays. I don't think Nintendo has a case at all when it comes to something like Pokecheck unless Pokecheck makes profit off it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_G...f_America,_Inc.

- - - -

Last edited by Griffinbane; June 7th, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links