Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old June 29th, 2016 (6:05 PM). Edited June 29th, 2016 by mej71.

Do people typically prefer the traditional system of gym battles(player goes through randomly placed trainers to reach the gym leader) or would they prefer a different system of pokemon battles ex: tournament where there are quarterfinals ,semifinals ,finals. or maybe something else?

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 29th, 2016 (7:34 PM).
Also known as Sudtrap

Something different. Please. Minigames? Hidden under the sea or in crazy places? I dunno. Crazy quests to assemble a badge?
The gyms aren't bad, per say. Just overdone.
Old July 7th, 2016 (6:32 AM).
Pokemon Amber Creator/Director

Nature: Jolly
Normal Gyms are nice because of training , but gyms even if they are the same or have patterns get boring

Old August 20th, 2016 (1:46 AM).

Nature: Modest
My game is in the planning stage only, but I also didn't want to do the traditional gym route. And it wouldn't fit with my story. Instead, I have "testers" (I'll figure out a better name later) who meet your character at certain points in the game and you have to battle them, of course, but also maybe do a puzzle. And instead of gym badges, you gain military ranks when you beat them =]

Instead of gyms each time, I think I'll mix it up between meeting them in regional points of interest (it's mainly based in the British Isles, so like, Big Ben could be a place) and hard to reach areas like on top of a mountain or in the middle of Loch Ness.
Old August 20th, 2016 (6:14 AM).
Pokémon Island Creator

8 type based GYM Leaders, plus Elite 4 are a model that must die after RBY (since GSC has 16 GYMs).

Look at every other monster/card game series, these have different ways of bosses that repeating 8 typed gyms every game.

I'm very grateful that every Final Fantasy game didn't had four leaders/creatures protecting four crystals.
Old August 20th, 2016 (7:36 AM).

My game will not have gyms instead it will have like problems that you need to solve. I got this idea from a picture of a giant mechanic spider species pokemon in a game thread don't remember well but I think it was reborn. I just wish that my game doesn't go a similar way as reborn although I haven't play it but I know that it's really dark.
Old 1 Week Ago (7:44 PM).

Gyms might become outdated anyway with the coming generation via Trial Bosses. My game has trainers you mist fight so they are basically gym leaders... of a different trainer class. Though for a while, you know, for six straight generations that the gym system was getting too old/formulaic. The plot of XY started breaking away from it a little but retained the general formula. Gen V really tried to incorporate them into the plot, but incorporating 8 super-diverse main characters, plus yourself got over complicated near the end. Gen VI was an interesting pull back of gym leader involvement (minus Korrina). The rest were just there to battle.

how many gym leaders are there now? 8x6 = 48 and no dark type leader? Starting in Gym 7 they would increase to 56! The system needs to be updated somehow!
Old 1 Week Ago (10:45 PM).

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliorain View Post
Gyms might become outdated anyway with the coming generation via Trial Bosses.
That's what I was thinking, but to answer your question: something new is always welcome.
Old 1 Week Ago (9:40 AM).
A238

Well, I'm going to say that it comes down to a player's opinion. I personally don't mind the Gym System. I've played games with the traditional Gym system and had a good time. Is having something different good? Of course. Do you need to have something different? No, you don't. It would be offensive and stupid to judge a game based on whether or not it had Gyms. There are so many more aspects to a game than that.

42-7-73-11
Old 1 Week Ago (6:01 PM).
Gone Fishin'

Nature: Rash
Gyms are perfectly fine as long as the puzzle is interesting. The only reason the official gym system got stale is because gamefreak aimed the games at progressively more casual audiences with each generation, and took the challenge out of the gym puzzles.

Look at zelda for proof. There have been just as many games with the dungeon system, yet no one is saying "dungeons are outdated".

Demo coming August 20!
Old 1 Week Ago (6:11 PM).
The Very Best

Nature: Relaxed
Gym's are good, but a change really is due. This makes Sun and Moon even more interesting. I can see why gyms were used in like, GSC, y'know it was basically a sequel. "Ooh, all NEW gyms to fight." But at this point, we've pretty much seen everything gyms have to offer. Just like in the Pokemon Adventures manga, every trainer isn't going to want to challenge all the gyms and be the champion, and I guess it's time the games reflected that. I think it'll bring out a lot more personality in each Pokemon game. It'll also make gyms a lot more entertaining whenever they bring them back.
Old 1 Week Ago (5:35 AM).
Pokémon Island Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSamaritan View Post
Gyms are perfectly fine as long as the puzzle is interesting. The only reason the official gym system got stale is because gamefreak aimed the games at progressively more casual audiences with each generation, and took the challenge out of the gym puzzles.

Look at zelda for proof. There have been just as many games with the dungeon system, yet no one is saying "dungeons are outdated".
Zelda doesn't have 8 single-typed dungeons every game and Ganon, isn't the final boss of every game too. The motivation behind each dungeon is different, isn't "Collect a badge to challenge the Pokémon League", or just "Collect the crystals". Look at Tower of the Gods from Wind Waker. The motivation is very different from average dungeons and this challenge doesn't have a single theme.
Old 1 Week Ago (5:03 PM).
Gone Fishin'

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL View Post
Zelda doesn't have 8 single-typed dungeons every game and Ganon, isn't the final boss of every game too. The motivation behind each dungeon is different, isn't "Collect a badge to challenge the Pokémon League", or just "Collect the crystals". Look at Tower of the Gods from Wind Waker. The motivation is very different from average dungeons and this challenge doesn't have a single theme.
Ganon, or someone related to him, is the antagonist more often than not. And I hardly find there being a specific number of dungeons an issue. In fact for a game like pokemon with such a large emphasis on competitive, it's better for players to have a rough estimate of how soon they can finish the story.

Demo coming August 20!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links