< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > Create & Discover > Game Development Question How do RMXP games with missing/empty data folders work?

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Reply Post Reply

Old 3 Weeks Ago (11:53 AM).

So other fan games I've played have either been missing a data folder or have nothing in it, I assume its to keep people from stealing their work. Same with graphics folder. So, how would I do that without it stop working... never could figure it out...

Gotta love Link. To all the people who call Link Zelda. I hate you.

Relevant Advertising!

Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:48 PM).

Nature: Brave
I believe you can compress your game using rpgmaker, which compresses said folders into one file which your game can only read.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:27 AM).

You can follow the wiki instructions at the bottom of this page to know what you can remove:

http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/w...use_Essentials
Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:50 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonyConcept View Post
You can follow the wiki instructions at the bottom of this page to know what you can remove:

http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/w...use_Essentials
The wiki doesn't mention those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalSeekerX View Post
I believe you can compress your game using rpgmaker, which compresses said folders into one file which your game can only read.
You can. But after you compress it, it creates a file that you have to uncompress. That way others can play it. Its been a while since I did it so I'll try.
Edit: Yup. I didn't think so. After you decompress it it decompresses everything. So that includes the data folder which means people could just steal your work. Which I really don't want.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (2:21 PM).
Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe

I don't think any of the common compression solutions are going to make your game impervious to someone taking the assets if they really want to, anyway.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:24 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLTRAINER♂ View Post
I don't think any of the common compression solutions are going to make your game impervious to someone taking the assets if they really want to, anyway.
I guess you have a point... I still don't want to have it right there for everyone though.
Maps wouldn't be as easy... but the scripts would be annoying. I have a couple minor custom ones I made.
All it would take is for someone to have RMXP then put the scripts file into their data folder . I guess they could steal my events too.

Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:45 PM).
Pokémon Alabaster Developer

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryz View Post
The wiki doesn't mention those.

You can. But after you compress it, it creates a file that you have to uncompress. That way others can play it. Its been a while since I did it so I'll try.
Edit: Yup. I didn't think so. After you decompress it it decompresses everything. So that includes the data folder which means people could just steal your work. Which I really don't want.
Go to compress your game data again, but this time check the box that says "Create Encrypted Archive". There is a size limit, I think it is 128MB but don't quote me on it. Point is if it goes over the size limit it won't compress properly so you have to take a file out in order (usually it would be either audio or graphics) to do it properly. You can put it back in after it is encrypted.
Creator of the fangame Pokemon Alabaster
Old 3 Weeks Ago (6:30 PM).

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alababal View Post
Go to compress your game data again, but this time check the box that says "Create Encrypted Archive". There is a size limit, I think it is 128MB but don't quote me on it. Point is if it goes over the size limit it won't compress properly so you have to take a file out in order (usually it would be either audio or graphics) to do it properly. You can put it back in after it is encrypted.
Yes this!!!
Old 3 Weeks Ago (8:16 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alababal View Post
Thanks man! You rule! I have no idea why I never tried that. I just always overlooked that checkbox.

Thanks again!

Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links