The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:19 PM
Rayziken 2
Beginning ROM Hacker

My first from-scratch map and the second town in my game (I designed it first because I realised that it didn't have a Trainer School, which will be the main story at the beginning of Pokémon Topaz). Well, here's Kasyko Town:

(This was meant to resemble Aspertia City, but the shadows don't work on Paint so I kept it simple with the FR\LG style)

To the left will be the Kasyko Factories, above will be the Mahogany Ranch, and to the right is Route 17 (the first 16 Routes are in the Sentou Region). At the bottom there will be a small Surfable pond and you'll be able to find a TM there.

EDIT: Sorry about the white line on the map; that will be fixed when it comes to actually mapping in the game.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Rayziken 2; March 31st, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:58 PM
oxysoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayziken 2 View Post
My first from-scratch map and the second town in my game (I designed it first because I realised that it didn't have a Trainer School, which will be the main story at the beginning of Pokémon Topaz). Well, here's Kasyko Town:

(This was meant to resemble Aspertia City, but the shadows don't work on Paint so I kept it simple with the FR\LG style)

To the left will be the Kasyko Factories, above will be the Mahogany Ranch, and to the right is Route 17 (the first 16 Routes are in the Sentou Region). At the bottom there will be a small Surfable pond and you'll be able to find a TM there.

EDIT: Sorry about the white line on the map; that will be fixed when it comes to actually mapping in the game.
I really like the feel the town has. Some stuff I don't like though is the tree placement, it feels too cubic. The tree shadows are wrong, the red boxes are too close together. (It's ok for them to be like that but perhaps try a different shape, something a bit more like the blue ones) Town looks a bit plain aswell.
Old April 1st, 2013, 04:00 AM
Rayziken 2
Beginning ROM Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxysoft View Post
I really like the feel the town has. Some stuff I don't like though is the tree placement, it feels too cubic. The tree shadows are wrong, the red boxes are too close together. (It's ok for them to be like that but perhaps try a different shape, something a bit more like the blue ones) Town looks a bit plain aswell.
Thanks; I'll be sure to edit the tree placement when it gets around to making the map, as well as the positions of the red boxes too. Oh, and the shadows was an error on my part; I tried editing it, but it was incredibly hard so I left it there. I'll definitely change it when I get started on actually making the game.

Spoiler:
Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:37 PM
Dradier234

Nature: Careful
This map looks good, a little plain, but I like how you use different flowers and accessories
to customize that town, not just like a blank blob of some trees and houses.
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayziken 2 View Post

the image was here (This was meant to resemble Aspertia City, but the shadows don't work on Paint so I kept it simple with the FR\LG style)

This is a part of a town, yes?

I can't imagine what you wouldn't do for a better set of tiles. It seems that this kind of mapping style doesn't really fit "in", if you see what I mean. The problem might be that you're not spreading the trees naturally, as they play an important role in sheltering and beautifying the town. I can suggest you expand them in the free spaces available.

Also, the flowers should be placed here and there, along with the occasional rock.

Good luck in your game, though!
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Rayziken 2
Beginning ROM Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
This is a part of a town, yes?

I can't imagine what you wouldn't do for a better set of tiles. It seems that this kind of mapping style doesn't really fit "in", if you see what I mean. The problem might be that you're not spreading the trees naturally, as they play an important role in sheltering and beautifying the town. I can suggest you expand them in the free spaces available.

Also, the flowers should be placed here and there, along with the occasional rock.

Good luck in your game, though!
Thanks.

I was thinking about adding more flowers, but I didn't know where to put them. I'll definitely add more soon, though, and more trees. The reason there aren't any at the back is because of the Mahogany Ranch, which will be a huge ranch that lets you capture lots of Pokémon. If it was small it wouldn't look right, so it's going to be a big map. I'll add more to the left, though.

Spoiler:
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty

Hometown for eon.
Old April 6th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post

Hometown for eon.
generally, a home town is smaller than most other towns, are the other towns going to be bigger than this? it just seems weird to have a pokemart in the first town >.<

also all the houses in one area seems a little cluttered, and then you have an open area with a single tree and a lot of grass >.> it just seems a little messy, maybe if you put one of the houses over there it would even out the map

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old April 6th, 2013, 09:32 AM
nuzamaki90
Knight of The Volt

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:

Hometown for eon.
The map looks great, glad you did a twist like what Aspertia City did to the main games with adding a PkMn Center/PkMn Mart to the starting town. It really adds a bit of uniqueness to your game.

There are only two things that kind of throw me off about the map though.

First, I like the positioning of the residential houses, but the bottom right one is blocking the road. I know the player will just walk behind the back of the house, but I just find it weird.

Also, the grass patches near the river...Are those needed? If not, maybe you can expand the river so when the player has accessibility to Surf, they will be able to get an item or secret in that little area near the mountains right behind the grass patches.
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzamaki90 View Post
The map looks great, glad you did a twist like what Aspertia City did to the main games with adding a PkMn Center/PkMn Mart to the starting town. It really adds a bit of uniqueness to your game.

There are only two things that kind of throw me off about the map though.

First, I like the positioning of the residential houses, but the bottom right one is blocking the road. I know the player will just walk behind the back of the house, but I just find it weird.

Also, the grass patches near the river...Are those needed? If not, maybe you can expand the river so when the player has accessibility to Surf, they will be able to get an item or secret in that little area near the mountains right behind the grass patches.
Mart is related to in game events.
I see nothing wrong with the houses.
Patch of Grass is where the ''pokemon'' of the professor will be kept, as a little fun to do, you can talk to them when you have surf.
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Rango
Show Me The Money Wide Load!

Nature: Naive
The second route in my new game, creatively named Route B

EDIT: Woops, just noticed the trees missing tops over on the mountain, please disregard them.
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post

EDIT: Woops, just noticed the trees missing tops over on the mountain, please disregard them.
Looks good, nice small and straight forward, the mountain is missing some tiles at the top, and the path too,
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Ze map is simple, and quick to the point. I think you've carved a good path for the route, and made the flowering and grass very nice. Noting a few things, however, like the short trees at the beginning kind of cover up the big ones, and damaging the good feel. Also, on the mountain, I guess you forgot to put in side connectors at the very top, and you could use some rocks up there as well.

Also. maybe you could use the short trees more effectively, maybe by making them more abundant. Also, I don't think you should make two-tile length pathways, either.

One thing that's extremely cool is the trainer tip sign, it's placed in a perfect position.

Good luck in your game, tho~
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post

Personally I think the small trees are rather lazy, you could move the trees where you want them and extend the map one to complete the trees
other than that it looks very nice, but also the mountain top if missing, incase you didnt notcie

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old April 10th, 2013, 06:58 PM
jim42

I agree with ★Hoenn★ for the most part. I will add that you left out a path tile up the top, and that the second two patchs of grass when starting from the bottom left should be thinned out a little. Other than that, I think this is a great map. First-time mappers would do well to follow your example.
Old April 10th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
Quote:

Hometown for eon.
Me likey. Good set-up overall.

The bottom house has a tree beside it that's missing its left-hand side (if you understand what I mean, anyway).

The gate opening, too. One side has an extension part, the other doesn't. Looks kinda funky.

Also, I think the grass doesn't fit the best, but it's OK as it is. It's just being nitpicky; good job!

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Yamiidenryuu

This is a mockup of the map for the first town in my game, made in Paint Shop Pro rather than an actual map-maker... It's okay for me to post this here, right?

The Ho-oh statue is a placeholder for something I'm going to have to make from scratch, and the fence on the left side is supposed to be a chain fence that can be opened, which I'll also have to sprite... I kind of feel like there's something missing, but I'm not sure what. Any feedback you could give me would be appreciated.

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
@yamiidenryuu: it doesn't matter which program you used to make a map. Anyways, yours looks nice forr a starter town. It doesn't really miss anything if you ask me, maybe you're just talking about the few npc s thay roam the town?
Old April 13th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

@Yamii, I think the shadows need some opacity. They look a bit weird when they get bigger. The trees look very natural. But in the south-eastern part there is that zigzaging gap that look a bit odd to me.
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:37 AM
oxysoft

This map doesn't really have a point and it will not be part of any game, just having fun using my map editor for my engine. I know there is nothing toward the right of it, I got bored and felt like it wasn't going anywhere. Supposed to be a route 1.
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

@oxysoft, overall, I think its a very well made map, I particularly like the grass and rocks tiles altough that rock with grass on it look weird to me. The trees are also very cool (maybe too much white on the edge?)
I think the rock in water doesn't fit much unless you give a whole "depth-water" tiles for the water tiles. (If you get what I mean xD)
Here's my starting town's updated map, still need more work I suppose, anyway:

Last edited by Kurapika; April 14th, 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Yamiidenryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
@Yamii, I think the shadows need some opacity. They look a bit weird when they get bigger. The trees look very natural. But in the south-eastern part there is that zigzaging gap that look a bit odd to me.
Which shadows, the trees or the houses? And the gap is a mistake that won't be in the final product. I just didn't feel like copy-pasting everything all over again.

Also, I just remembered there was supposed to be a connection to another route to the north as well as a trader's stall, so I'm gonna have to redo it at some point... there was something missing after all. XD

Anyway, here's the other map I have finished, the first route out of Springbud.

I set it up so that it's easy to avoid the grass if you just want to get through, but harder to do so if you want to get to some other things- two items to the north, and a connector to a little hidden area that I'll map later. Is it too simple?

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

@Yamii, I was talking about the shadows of buildings. Your second map is pretty cool. But the tall grass looks bad imo, the contrast between the grass and the tall grass is very sstrong (If you get what I mean). you should probably modify its palette to make it less dark, the pallette is shared with trees I suppose, but they also need to be less dark anyway. The bridge looks too simple and it seems like a big piece of wood that was simply put in there without any support to keep it immovable, I think you should work on its ends.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Riansky
Purr

Here are the maps from my game. I combined all the maps together so you get the idea how the region looks.
Warning! BIG IMAGE!

Spoiler:

Old April 14th, 2013, 06:42 PM
jim42

Are those 6th gen tiles I spy? Interesting. Your mapping is quite good, particularly your two routes there. Excellent job on those, though I would advise a teency bit of grass on the top path of Route 1. The palettes are visually appealing and have a nice balance of colour amongst the buildings in relation to the environment. There's some blackness at the top of some of the buildings in the northern city, though I figure you know that. The building arrangement there is the only thing I really take objection to. Just remember that the buildings have space behind them, and so should probably overlap the paths to the north a bit, the buildings at the very top, etc. Nice work man, 9/10.

Last edited by jim42; April 16th, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links