Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Harvey_Create

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
Like, if something is so bad that it stands out as being bad. I don't see anything wrong with it, but I have no experience with mapping, so I don't really know if anything is wrong or not. But from a quick glance, it looks great!
Okay *whew* I thought you were saying that you say errors, but didnt see anything major. :L
This signature has been disabled.
Exceeds signature width limit (strictly 600 pixels or less).
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
pingu0106

Hi everyone.This is the first map I have posted to the site, so fingers crossed.

This is Honess Town it is the third town encountered by the protagonist and the location of the second gym (rock type). It's economy is solely supported by the quarry and the exports of rocks and minerals. All of my town names are based on minerals of a similar color to the type of gym Honessite = Brown.
Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honess Town.png
Views:	60
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	68921
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
lauerolus

I like it Ping. Maybe use a second house type 2 yellow 2 new ones? Really it's just the lack of window for me. If it was mine, I'd make that center pillar a little less square and put a pond there.

The mine itself looks great. Maybe a little 4x4 shed down there? Did you make those cranes?

How come no one looked at my map?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:46 PM
pingu0106

Originally Posted by lauerolus View Post
I like it Ping. Maybe use a second house type 2 yellow 2 new ones? Really it's just the lack of window for me. If it was mine, I'd make that center pillar a little less square and put a pond there.

The mine itself looks great. Maybe a little 4x4 shed down there? Did you make those cranes?

How come no one looked at my map?
Thank you, That is a great suggestion I completely overlooked that I forgot to put windows on the houses. Yes the cranes were drawn by me.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:13 PM
lauerolus

Another thing people don't think about in RPMXP, is you can make Combo pokemon centers/marts.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
kronos9

Quote:
Another thing people don't think about in RPMXP, is you can make Combo pokemon centers/marts.
I thought about doing that, but i actually like the separate buildings better. Even though the combo would be more convenient...
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:57 PM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu0106 View Post
Hi everyone.This is the first map I have posted to the site, so fingers crossed.

This is Honess Town it is the third town encountered by the protagonist and the location of the second gym (rock type). It's economy is solely supported by the quarry and the exports of rocks and minerals. All of my town names are based on minerals of a similar color to the type of gym Honessite = Brown.
Im not a huge fan of Gen 3 graphics (As ive mentioned before) But this map is really good. I would recommend making the Houses a bit bigger though. If you can

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:12 PM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu0106 View Post

It looks okay.
But the custom tiles do not fit the Official ones.

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:27 PM
Ęℓαчиıı
Scolipede

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Yeah, it's often overlooked by developers. However, I combined the PokéCenter and Mart and I must say, it's a lot more convenient.
Especially if you're lazy like me
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:47 PM
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

Nature: Relaxed
Trying to get back into mapping once again, been a long time since I last properly did a map. It is, unfortunately rather empty right now, but been given a few ideas from one person already as to what I should fill the space in at the top. At the moment I'm working on tiles as I map, so for now it's empty until I've actually sprited the missing parts.

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
kronos9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmaniac View Post
Trying to get back into mapping once again, been a long time since I last properly did a map. It is, unfortunately rather empty right now, but been given a few ideas from one person already as to what I should fill the space in at the top. At the moment I'm working on tiles as I map, so for now it's empty until I've actually sprited the missing parts.
Spoiler:
Hey that looks pretty nice! Keep up the good work. As for the top, maybe add like an abandoned mill or like a run down shack thing. Haha

I made a mockup of the new starter town. I WILL be editing it and possibly even making it larger. I didn't add any detail because i new i was going to change it.

Spoiler:

P.S. Thanks go to Harvey_Create for helping me fix my tileset errors! :D

Last edited by kronos9; July 23rd, 2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: No Double Post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:34 PM
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I fixed up my map and made it more pretty. Input anyone?

"The Incredibly Pretty Girl"

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

FC: 4699-7156-4669 IGN: Gavin

Last edited by Whitney's Shaymin; July 23rd, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:49 AM
ppooookkkkkkk
Banned

Nature: Gentle
@Harvey_Create. I made it just like you said. Feed back and opinions are always appreciated

Old July 24th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
It's a very nice map, I love the colours especially. I'd add some tall grass to it though, and fill the empty space I the bottom half of the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppooookkkkkkk View Post
@Harvey_Create. I made it just like you said. Feed back and opinions are always appreciated

This map looks really nice and has the potential to be much better; the stairs bed to be cut down a bit to fit the rock face and the pathways should really only be 3 tiles across. Some of the path placement looks a little too random as well. I'd add some flowers, more buildings or trees to fill in remnants of empty space.
Old July 24th, 2013, 08:08 AM
lauerolus

I think I've finally nailed down what I want in my tileset. 2D and lots of flowers/trees/dodads.

See next post.

ppooookkkkkkk, it's not bad but borderless 3D... not in my taste. The tree blocking the top left house kinda sticks out to me along with that random middle trash can. I'd also put some grass on that isle and hide a few rare pokemon there. It'd reward people for backtracking/exploring.

Last edited by lauerolus; July 24th, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:17 AM
kronos9

Quote:
I think I've finally nailed down what I want in my tileset. 2D and lots of flowers/trees/dodads.

Spoiler:
Go to a different layer other than events layer. Then go to View at the top and click Dim other layers. It'll be a clear picture with no gridlines like the events layer. Then you'll be able to analyze the map better.
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronos9 View Post
Hey that looks pretty nice! Keep up the good work. As for the top, maybe add like an abandoned mill or like a run down shack thing. Haha

I made a mockup of the new starter town. I WILL be editing it and possibly even making it larger. I didn't add any detail because i new i was going to change it.

Spoiler:

P.S. Thanks go to Harvey_Create for helping me fix my tileset errors! :D
Looking Good man. I like the tiles. As for designing, it looks cool with that set up, but just needs to be bordered, and have some more decoration (possibly a little park or something)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppooookkkkkkk View Post

Its getting better. Still need to fix the trees on your exit. I also just noticed you Houses shadow and your labs Shadows dont match. They go opposite direction. (might want to fix that PM me is you can't and i can try for you)

Last edited by Harvey_Create; July 24th, 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:01 AM
lauerolus

Quote:
... Dim other layers...
That's pretty awesome. Really helpful too.

Last edited by lauerolus; July 24th, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Here is one of the first Route i made with my new Tiles. It is a recreation of my Route 51

Critiques?

*EDIT* i realized i pasted the maps together awkwardly, so the trees bases are off on the lower left, i know

Old July 24th, 2013, 12:18 PM
carmaniac
Where the pickle surprise at?

Nature: Relaxed
Huzzah! Made a map that will actually be in my game. So basically, this map is the first one you will need to navigate outside of your home town. Within the map you'll be able to meet the Professor with no name staring at a pond with water Pokémon. This is where you'll be given the opportunity to start your adventure.

Pokémon: Lost Souls.

Developed by Carmaniac.
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:48 PM
kronos9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey_Create View Post
Here is one of the first Route i made with my new Tiles. It is a recreation of my Route 51

Spoiler:

Critiques?

*EDIT* i realized i pasted the maps together awkwardly, so the trees bases are off on the lower left, i know
I really like it. The tiles also look excellent. Are there going to be trainers on one side of the path?

Quote:
Huzzah! Made a map that will actually be in my game. So basically, this map is the first one you will need to navigate outside of your home town. Within the map you'll be able to meet the Professor with no name staring at a pond with water Pokémon. This is where you'll be given the opportunity to start your adventure.
Spoiler:
I like this one as well! Nice work!

Last edited by kronos9; July 24th, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added spoilers to save space
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Quote:
Looking really good man! only suggestion is to make the waters outline to match our cliff or something like that.

Quote:
I really like it. The tiles also look excellent. Are there going to be trainers on one side of the path?

I like this one as well! Nice work!
If your talking about the left side, maybe one. Thats the way to get back easier. I am also editting the colors for the tiles, so it will look better.

Last edited by Harvey_Create; July 24th, 2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old July 24th, 2013, 03:33 PM
kronos9

Ok I finished up my starter town. I still am going to tweak it and all that. I might make most of it into a snowish town, and it will be located north or the region. Soooo, how about it?

Old July 24th, 2013, 04:54 PM
lauerolus

The new Route 4, to Sable City. It connect to the southern part of the end of Route 3

My starting town
Spoiler:

Kronos, I like the lab pen and cave. The house on the ridge is nice too. I'd play around with snowifying(dirt tiles too) everything upto the red line in the spoiler.
Spoiler:

carmaniac, It's good. The water in the south is a route right? Your rock placement is a bit too uniform to my eye, such as the places with a rock above and below a ledge.

Last edited by lauerolus; July 24th, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Quote:
Ok I finished up my starter town. I still am going to tweak it and all that. I might make most of it into a snowish town, and it will be located north or the region. Soooo, how about it?

Your map is quite large. unless you plan on adding more trees, or possibly more house, Its going to be too open.

Or try squeezing the map a bit. Sorry, i just dont like large maps that have 3 houses. :L

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here