Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
Reload this Page Map Showcase and Review Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old July 24th, 2013 (08:51 PM). Edited July 24th, 2013 by kronos9.

Quote originally posted by lauerolus:
Kronos, I like the lab pen and cave. The house on the ridge is nice too. I'd play around with snowifying(dirt tiles too) everything upto the red line in the spoiler.
Quote originally posted by Harvey_Create:
Your map is quite large. unless you plan on adding more trees, or possibly more house, Its going to be too open.Or try squeezing the map a bit. Sorry, i just dont like large maps that have 3 houses. :L
Ok I worked on it a bit -

lauerolus: I tried to follow the outline and made it snowy. I am going to add in a snowy grass tile, so I just kept it normal grass since I didn't add it yet. I will draw a new tile so the dirt transitions to the snow a lot smoother. As well as making a whole snowy tree rather than half of it being snowy.

Harvey: I added 2 houses and put in more trees to try and make it feel rather closed. After looking at all the open spaces I didn't like it as much.

Housing:
~Top left is obviously the lab. The cave is a special habitat location for the professor to study and that is where you choose your starter.
~Bottom left is just an NPC house.
~Middle fairly large house is the Rival's house. He's is a rich kid..
~Top right is the player's house. Not as rich but rich enough to get a 2 story house.
~Bottom right (near entrance) is another NPC house.

Hope you like it!
Old July 25th, 2013 (05:37 AM).
Actually not mad at all
Silver Tier

Nature: Jolly
Okay, here's my latest map, Treeshade Town.
Old July 26th, 2013 (10:45 AM).
Actually not mad at all
Silver Tier

Waaay to much tall grass, Kronos. The ledges also don't make much sense, as they are easy to avoid =/. the line where the snow start also doesn't look good to me.

You should space out the patches of grass, making the majority of them unable to avoid, and make sure you can't easily walk around ledges.

Hope this helps you!
Old July 26th, 2013 (12:10 PM).

Updated Route 01 woot woot woot
Elarmasecreta
I took away alot of tall grass but kept enough to my liking. Also fixed the ledges at the bottom! So what about now?
Old July 26th, 2013 (01:18 PM).
Actually not mad at all
Silver Tier

Kronos, the map looks nice, however, Depending on which way you're going, you'll only stay on either the top or bottom half of the map. I made this example map, to show you how you can utilize both halves.

Also, I'd like some comments on my map as well ^.^;
Old July 26th, 2013 (01:29 PM).
✪ Dragons Lead ✪

Nature: Quiet
Here guys RAYN TOWN Preview, it's from Pokemon Lightning Gold 2th Town..

Give some feedback..
Old July 26th, 2013 (01:29 PM).

Elarmasecreta, Your map looks nice, but maybe you should change some of the houses. There are too many of that one plain color. Add variety and it will be not so depressing..

KirakonGxi, It looks nice. I like those tiles, they look different from what I've seen lately. The only thing I see is that house error where there is one on top of the other, cutting it off. If you're trying to make a 2 story house, just modify the normal house in something like paint.net. It is really easy to just cut and paste parts onto other parts, as long as they fit into the tileset grid.
Old July 26th, 2013 (01:36 PM).
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Harvey_Create
Quote originally posted by kronos9:
Updated Route 01 woot woot woot
Elarmasecreta
I took away alot of tall grass but kept enough to my liking. Also fixed the ledges at the bottom! So what about now?
*Sigh* sorry for my critique, but i see a lot of problems

If coming from the left,

Your route is pretty much a walkway. You can avoid ALL the grass.

I dont like the fact the ledges are STILL easy to pass, and in weird places. It would be different is the were facing the opposite direction.

IF FROM THE RIGHT

Essentially the same thing.

Also,
You have tress on the mountain with a green bottom part when it is a rock.

Your grass doesnt have a border for transitioning with snow. Same with the trees. It looks to perfectly even .

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 26th, 2013 (01:36 PM).
✪ Dragons Lead ✪

KirakonGxi, It looks nice. I like those tiles, they look different from what I've seen lately. The only thing I see is that house error where there is one on top of the other, cutting it off. If you're trying to make a 2 story house, just modify the normal house in something like paint.net. It is really easy to just cut and paste parts onto other parts, as long as they fit into the tileset grid.
Actually that is two-story house lol.
Old July 26th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
Actually not mad at all
Silver Tier

@Kronos, that would probably mean I have to do some spriting. XD I tried using different types of houses, but it would always end up looking weird... =/

@Kirakon: First off, other than the building's tiles, I'm no fan of the tiles.

Secondly, there are a few things which struck me as odd. The northern exit of the town seems half blocked by the mart, not really nice looking. the Pokecenter is also a long walk away from either exit, making the walk to and from it rather annoying. Near the western exit is a sign with a tree directly in front of it... =/ Oh, and the streetlight at the north-eastern corner seems useless.

I think you went a bit overboard with bushes and flowers as well. It strikes me as odd that the path near the mart is interrupted by flowers.

EDIT: Ooh, I just noticed something, near the western exit, one of the cliffs just ends, making it look unnatural.

Hope this helps you!
Old July 26th, 2013 (01:41 PM).
✪ Dragons Lead ✪

Quote originally posted by elarmasecreta:
@Kronos, that would probably mean I have to do some spriting. XD I tried using different types of houses, but it would always end up looking weird... =/

@Kirakon: First off, other than the building's tiles, I'm no fan of the tiles.

Secondly, there are a few things which struck me as odd. The northern exit of the town seems half blocked by the mart, not really nice looking. the Pokecenter is also a long walk away from either exit, making the walk to and from it rather annoying. Near the western exit is a sign with a tree directly in front of it... =/ Oh, and the streetlight at the north-eastern corner seems useless.

I think you went a bit overboard with bushes and flowers as well. It strikes me as odd that the path near the mart is interrupted by flowers.

Hope this helps you!
That why i need some feedback!. Thanks bro!
Old July 26th, 2013 (01:45 PM).

Quote originally posted by Harvey_Create:
*Sigh* sorry for my critique, but i see a lot of problems

If coming from the left,

Your route is pretty much a walkway. You can avoid ALL the grass.

I dont like the fact the ledges are STILL easy to pass, and in weird places. It would be different is the were facing the opposite direction.

IF FROM THE RIGHT

Essentially the same thing.

Also,
You have tress on the mountain with a green bottom part when it is a rock.

Your grass doesnt have a border for transitioning with snow. Same with the trees. It looks to perfectly even .
That's fine! Whatever people tell me I can learn from, so thanks! And for the trees, I was eventually going to add some with bottoms of snow, like all snowy trees, and some without grass on the bottom for that.
Old July 26th, 2013 (04:09 PM).
--------------------

@kronos, your map looks fine except for the snow/grass mixture... The ledges going from left to right are fine, there's nothing stopping a player going from a town to the next HAVING to traverse through lot's of grassy patches but coming back VIA a ledge, Pokémon RBY did it from Viridian to Pallet, why can't you do it... And from Cerulean all the way to Vermillion, you could avoid every grass patch of you wanted... P.S, there is already a tree with a snowy base.

Your town is too spacey... Fill it out a little or shrink the map a few sizes... Otherwise, no complaints (except the snow/grass mixture as before).

@KirakonGxi, your map looks pretty good, except the double house, needs some spriting work for definite, your fences need to have an end part of the fence, but everything looks pretty good in my opinion... I don't like, however, the mixture of picket fences and log fences, stick to one or the other (the log ones look fine), although the picket fence on the west most exit is fine as it is, but the mixture of logs looks awful... The city also has a height of 2, but the west most wall has no end, lowering the 1 wall then adding the 2nd will look much better.

@Elarmasecreta, I don't like those tiles, prefer HGSS style or DPPT, but from what you've made, it's pretty basic, nothing pops out, there are no obstacles so the path is pretty clear cut, quite boring if you ask me, give the town some life, the entrance to the town (south), is a little large, I never liked large entrances unless used well, in this case, I don't think it is, I think adding trees would suffice.

@kronos, kirakonGxi and Elarmasecreta... I like the tree layouts, very natural.
Old July 26th, 2013 (04:41 PM).
Blah

Not to be rude but... Nobody has anything to say about my maps? I've made sure to comment on a few maps every time I've posted one and no one, not even when you've responded to my comments has said anything about them.

KirakonGxi, I love it. The lamp/fence usage and that great pond. The ridges feel a bit cramped to me and don't you have some doodad flowers instead of just grass tile ones? A lamp on the bottom right might look good too.
Old July 26th, 2013 (06:31 PM).

Quote originally posted by lauerolus:
The new Route 4, to Sable City. It connect to the southern part of the end of Route 3

My starting town
Spoiler:
Hey that route looks pretty nice! It looks like it would be in a desert or like victory road or someplace. Looks kind of forbidden or something.
As for the starter town, try adding a border for one thing. And I see a couple of errors at the top of the map, with the pond. And there is white in the background of some tiles. Either not transparent, or in the wrong layer. Either way, nice work!
Old July 26th, 2013 (06:52 PM).
Blah

Yeah, switching between paint and paint.net messed up my tilesets. What do you mean by add a border? You mean the rest of the trees?

The route looks evil because of those dark rocks, you're used to the reddish ones. I've made the second half of Route 3/Mount Moon more barren. Kanto is supposed to be a bit barren, but the Game Freak mappers are lazy sods.

Thank you for reviewing.
Old July 26th, 2013 (07:07 PM). Edited July 26th, 2013 by kronos9.

Yeah basically the rest of the trees. Sort of like this:
Spoiler:

Trust me, i'm terrible with borders. I almost never add borders and people always tell me to. xD

AAANNNDDD I made another map. I whipped this up in about 30 minutes. It's the forest after Route 01, Verdigris Forest. Verdigris is a synonym to Viridian.
Old July 26th, 2013 (11:09 PM).
Blah

It's good. I feel it's a bit wide on the right and you forgot about the river bank on the side, but you have non-solid grass and nice doodad placement.

One thing you could look at is placing tree a bit crookedly. A picture works best here I think. If this was more then a 30 second slapjob there'd be tree layering too.
Old July 27th, 2013 (12:43 AM). Edited July 27th, 2013 by Harvey_Create.
Pokemon Apex Team Member

That's fine! Whatever people tell me I can learn from, so thanks! And for the trees, I was eventually going to add some with bottoms of snow, like all snowy trees, and some without grass on the bottom for that.
I'm happy to took it as criticism. I had the same things said to me way back when i started. And if you can sprite it, do it. lol A lot of my tiles are becoming custom as I want certain "No Outline 3D" tiles. So ill have to resprite them.

Yeah basically the rest of the trees. Sort of like this:
Spoiler:

Trust me, i'm terrible with borders. I almost never add borders and people always tell me to. xD

AAANNNDDD I made another map. I whipped this up in about 30 minutes. It's the forest after Route 01, Verdigris Forest. Verdigris is a synonym to Viridian.
Toward the right of the map, move the river down 1 tile.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 27th, 2013 (09:01 AM).

I fixed the river thing in Verdigris Forest. It's on my deviantart.

Sorry to keep spamming with so many maps, I just keep making new ones. xD
So here is the town after the forest. Still deciding whether it should be a side town, or a main town. Probably a side town, as I might make a bigger town with the 1st gym.
Old July 27th, 2013 (09:18 AM).
Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Silver Tier

Nature: Timid
Here's a route I cranked out in about 15 minutes

"The Incredibly Pretty Girl"

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

FC: 4699-7156-4669 IGN: Gavin
Old July 27th, 2013 (09:29 PM).
#BAMFPokemonNerd

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Radical Raptr
Quote originally posted by pokemoner2500:

it really shows that it was done in 15 mins - its way too bland for a route, theres no...flow, it feels like it was forced, you might as well have made it a straight path
after a certain point the player would be able to see the boring pattern, and get bored with it, and plus theres nothing eye catching

the colors (in my opinion at least) do not go together at all, and are an eyesore - like its like having yellow text on a white background

it also looks very empty, theres really nothing the player would enjoy from it, it's just so empty and boring, there needs to be more, mix things up a bit

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old July 27th, 2013 (09:48 PM).
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Quote originally posted by pokemoner2500:

I have yo agree with Saving Raven. It is very boring. *Cue Rant Time* I hate how people map out very boring things, or open maps. I know i used to do it, but instead of asking for critiques for every map, I studied other peoples maps. Like Abnegation's Maps. They were highly detailed, and influenced me. I know critiques help people out, but some people on this thread will take the help, and recreate it exactly. If I build an example for you to go off of, don't Recreate it exactly. That's basically stealing. But i hope you don't take this wrong. I would feel bad. Haha. Just my rant.

I would recommend:

~Rounding out the map. Add 2 trees going each direction in the corners would help.
~Vary up the terrain. Its quite uniform. Rather then Go right, up, left, up, right, up. Try doing right, up, left, down, left, up, right. up, left, down, right up. (Randomly typed, so i dont think there are any loops in that.

Hope this helps.

Old July 28th, 2013 (07:51 AM).
Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Silver Tier

Nature: Timid
Added some flowers moved a few things and added a lot

"The Incredibly Pretty Girl"

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

FC: 4699-7156-4669 IGN: Gavin
Old July 28th, 2013 (10:10 AM).
Blah

Just the grassy side path helped it look that much better. The ledges fit the dirt path better then the fences did too. Just be sure to set the house off the road.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links