The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:48 AM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
Now, here's my updated Starting Town with Kyle-dove's tileset.

Can someone critique this?
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace

Nature: Timid
Took most of your suggestions and this is the end result.

"The Incredibly Pretty Girl"

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

FC: 4699-7156-4669 IGN: Gavin
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:37 PM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemoner2500 View Post
Took most of your suggestions and this is the end result.

I use the same tileset as you, I found. Please, use grass instead of sand. If you absolutely love the sand, I don't think anyone would have a problem if the border of the water was sand, but the path HAS to be on grass. It was literally made for that.
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace

Here ya go, replaced most of the sand with grass as suggested.

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

Old September 12th, 2013, 06:14 PM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Here ya go, replaced most of the sand with grass as suggested.

I'm not even sarcastic when I say this: It's like a whole new route!

The sand doesn't really blend well with the grass. If you want, you can PM me with both tiles and I can see if I can make an edit to make it match. Of course, credit wouldn't be necessary, but appreciated.

Also, if you have such a wide route, why not use all of it? It's only, like, 5 tiles wide *Obvious Sarcasm*. It should probably have a fork in the dirt that leads into the trees (as an alternate route back perhaps?).
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace

I fixed the edges. I only uploaded the edited part. The rest looked okay (at least to me)

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

Old September 12th, 2013, 07:06 PM
joeyhugg

Quote:
I fixed the edges. I only uploaded the edited part. The rest looked okay (at least to me)

That's much improved from when you started. Remember, the border only has to be approximately 3 trees thick. Cut the rest and you have plenty of space for more areas of gameplay.
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
That's much improved from when you started. Remember, the border only has to be approximately 3 trees thick. Cut the rest and you have plenty of space for more areas of gameplay.
4 trees, or 8 tiles, to be precise.

Anyways, the route's looking a lot better now, but there are still many ways in which you can improve it. You can easily walk through it holding just the "up" button. Use trees/ledges to create some obstacles for the player. Look at Hoenn route 101 for a better example of what I mean.
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

Old September 18th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Nature: Naive
Too flat. Too decorative, straight and unnatural.
Try making trees more random (Like much more random) and that goes for the coastline and the grass placement too.

Here's what you can do to fix it (In the same format Scarf suggested a while back)

Fill the purple places with trees or make it unpassable (block it somehow, maybe you can add a ledge in between). Fill the blue area with grass and tall grass, or just a way to pass through. Remember, all borders be more random. You could add sand in the yellow areas. The brown areas is where you could place sea, and the orange is again to extend the sand. You could place the house over there btw, since that area is going to be open with the replacements.

Try it.

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Savvy?
#johnnydeppjacksparrow
Previously known as ★Hoenn★

Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:07 AM
Kroso
Feels like a failure

Nature: Gentle
Spoiler:

It's been a while since I've mapped, so this is an extremely long fresh start for me. I'm feel as it's missing something, not sure what. I think there might be a lot of open space, but I don't know how or what to fill it up. I tried to make it open as possible, with giving the player some additional roads to take after recieving some hidden moves for their pokemons to use. I appreciate all criticism, for which I take into account. Credits belong to scarf, reck, and peekychew for the tiles. Ignore some tile errors, since me being silly formatted the trees incorrectly when I was assembling the tileset.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:25 PM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroso View Post
Spoiler:

It's been a while since I've mapped, so this is an extremely long fresh start for me. I'm feel as it's missing something, not sure what. I think there might be a lot of open space, but I don't know how or what to fill it up. I tried to make it open as possible, with giving the player some additional roads to take after recieving some hidden moves for their pokemons to use. I appreciate all criticism, for which I take into account. Credits belong to scarf, reck, and peekychew for the tiles. Ignore some tile errors, since me being silly formatted the trees incorrectly when I was assembling the tileset.
The lower half looks better than the upper half. There's more to look at. That straight line of a hillside is very unnatural looking so maybe change it up a bit or make is something unnatural like a wall or building or something that would be straight.

The bottom half has a better arrangement of trees. Not just lines of them. They also give you a clear path instead of a big open field. Speaking of that field, why is it so open and why is the tall grass so scattered? If you want to make it more difficult for a player to walk through (right now it's easy enough to avoid most of it), make some big areas of grass that bump up against trees or water or rocks or whatever so that you have to walk through it. That might mean narrowing the open field or putting something in it. If you want something that seems more wild and all over the place, maybe add something else like a few trees in the middle or some other kinds of ground tiles like dirt or flowers to break up the monotony. But there's nothing wrong with filling in the empty space with trees or other things to create more channel-like areas to move through. Right now, even though there is a lot of space, it's pretty straightforward.

The space to the sides seems extraneous. You could make areas that look like paths that turn into dead ends (if you feel like this should be more of a maze), or circle around the tall grass, or lead to items or other things that would give a player a reason to go there.

And I'd vary what tree you use. I made those same trees without the little holes and for them to have interchanging parts. You should be able to use ones that are clean looking or have just one hole alongside the ones you're already using.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:28 AM
The Glitch
Glitch in the System.

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Glitch

A random map I made, using Scarf's tiles. :I
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Ben.
Orange I s l a n d s~

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ben.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post

Looks a really nice map overall but there are a few things that'll look pretty much spot on, I really like it, regardless.

For starters the first thing that bugs me is the trees in red, not sure why their laid out like that, the other thing to work on is opening up the gap between the trees to make it more visible. Secondly I'm not sure what the random bins are about.
The light purple is grass that doesn't need to be there and the darker purple is where the grass should stop.
Blue is things that doesn't really need to be there and seem very misplaced.
try improving on these things, i'll redo this in the morning but i'm too tired right now.

Awesome map though.

Old September 27th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Serperion
The Fallen King

Nature: Calm
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post

Gotta Agree with Ben here, this is a good looking map it's just there are some things which don't work, I'll try to elaborate on things which Ben hasn't already stated.

Brown = Tile Errors, You know the Drill

Lavender = Unnecessary tiles

These fences don't really seem like they belong if the route looked more rugged and abandoned then this would make sense but honestly the route has an Early Game Feeling

Navy Blue = Ninja Bin, Ben missed

Pink = Hard to see Tiles

This staircase I didn't realize existed until I zoomed in on it. Either make it more pronounced or make the top level inaccessible.

Grey = Bad placement

The south one is just weird since you have this very Square like path near a Tall Grass section, divide it some some amount. The one in the north appears to be another entrance to the map, I suggest removing it or changing the surrounding Terrain to compensate.

Black = The easiest Path to get through this route

The problem is it is too simple I mean Left, Up, Right, Up that's it give it some puzzle incorporate the gaps in the trees

Gold = A New Path?

This is just something I realized may work for this Route is that you bend it more, maybe include a Cut Tree and some various elevation levels, maybe extend the little pond you have and make it include another exit to the Map on the East Side. Just make it more challenging in the case of traversing.

Humanity is an eternal beauty, ever changing. We cannot define the future generation as they are nothing of present or past but are truthfully another civilization, we may not like it but change is inevitable and we've put up with it all this time through evolution, technology, war, diplomacy, economies, culture and life.
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ

Another glaring issue I am seeing are the 1 tile wide strips of tall grass people seem to be using. It makes for an unnatural look for the tall gras, if you want it to look patchy, use a 2x2 placement and skew it or something, don't make a 1 wide strip, it looks horrendous.

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old September 30th, 2013, 03:51 PM
krakacen

Here´s my map.

Credits: EVoLiNa

-Thanks
Old September 30th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Water Gym Leader
Arlyn Aquos

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Water Gym Leader
krakacen
Spoiler:

Red- Sign side fix.
Black- What's with that overly simplistic sign? Change it or dump it.
Pink- Fence you don't need.
Orange- Change the fence so its not taking up more space than needed.
Purple- Make this opening 2 tiles wide, it looks better.
Brown- How do get through there? Remove one of the trees, or put in a smaller tree. Also tile error on the tree in the bottom right.
Blue- Your slopes are WAY to simplistic.
FIX IT!

3DS FC: 0903-4056-8403
3DS XL FC: 0404-6887-6558
~~DIVING DEEP~~ (A Water Pokemon Fan Club)

Last edited by Water Gym Leader; September 30th, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:29 AM
The Glitch
Glitch in the System.

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Glitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Gym Leader View Post
krakacen
Spoiler:

Red- Sign side fix.
Brown- How do get through there? Remove one of the trees, or put in a smaller tree. Also tile error on the tree in the bottom right.
FIX IT!
I'll be honest here, I see nothing wrong with the fences, fences are good for the scenery, and good for blocking paths, to items, or to the route.
This fence in my opinion is needed, or it's just empty space.
Also, you say the slopes are simplistic, is there really a way to make a non simplistic slope, and actually make it look good enough?
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:20 AM
Nickalooose
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Gym Leader View Post
krakacen
Spoiler:

Red- Sign side fix.
FIX IT!
No offence, but the map is pretty good... You're being nit-picky.
Many people don't like 1 tile wide paths, but in this case, I don't think it matters, the sign is man made and without it, the path is 2 tiles wide, it's not particularly a problem.
The tree you can't "pass", well if the priorities were changed, then you could, right?
Slopes were answered by Varion.
Fences on routes are fine also, I do the same and nobody judges me for it (maybe they suit my style more, I don't know)
Only thing I agree with is the tile errors, good map otherwise
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:30 AM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakacen View Post
Spoiler:
Here´s my map.

Credits: EVoLiNa

-Thanks
overall, its nice, what I dont like is how the grass you chose looks like little bushes - especially since theres a slightly darker colored version in use
its also just weird to have grass grow like that

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Finally, someone on here gets it.
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:14 AM
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

First time mapping, would like come critiques and advice.

Spoiler:

Note: Movement is not bounded to a grid, and the player can run diagonally, so it takes less time to traverse the map than usual.
Note 2: the game's camera won't scroll off the edge of what's shown, so I don't need to add a bunch of trees to each side of the map.

Some context: this map is called Ebony Sanctuary, which is a small park in the back of the professor's lab. I'm thinking this area would replace the PC's hard drive; now when you send a pokemon to a PC, instead of it being stored as digital data, the pokemon is teleported to this park. Grass-types would hang out near the forest area, water types would hang out near the water area, and so on. Later you can visit the park to see how your pokemon are doing.
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:08 PM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3shark View Post
First time mapping, would like come critiques and advice.

Spoiler:

Note: Movement is not bounded to a grid, and the player can run diagonally, so it takes less time to traverse the map than usual.
Note 2: the game's camera won't scroll off the edge of what's shown, so I don't need to add a bunch of trees to each side of the map.

Some context: this map is called Ebony Sanctuary, which is a small park in the back of the professor's lab. I'm thinking this area would replace the PC's hard drive; now when you send a pokemon to a PC, instead of it being stored as digital data, the pokemon is teleported to this park. Grass-types would hang out near the forest area, water types would hang out near the water area, and so on. Later you can visit the park to see how your pokemon are doing.
I like the concept, and if that's what the map is for, then I see no problems with it. Are you using Essentials? If so, how do you plan on making that work?! Back to the map, I don't see a problem wit it at all. There is a lot of space, but a lot of stuff will go there. Good luck!
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:39 PM
th3shark
Develops in AS3/C++

Quote:
Are you using Essentials? If so, how do you plan on making that work?!
Nope, it's a custom engine I made myself. Freer movement is quite possible
Old October 22nd, 2013, 02:31 PM
khkramer

Littleroot Town remake for my game Pokemon Nox.
Constructive criticism would be appreciated

Sponsored Links