Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development
Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 16th, 2014, 03:34 AM
tImE
It's still me, 44tim44 ;)

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semolous View Post
A city from my game.

Attachment 71297
A simple city with a fine layout.

I think you have way too much empty space, though.

Try shrinking the map 20% in both directions, but keep the size and amount of the houses, and just remove the unneccesary empty ground tiles everywhere.

Also, you shouldn't have empty space behind/above houses unless there is a road there. It looks bad. Try moving the fence and trees down, so that they are under the rooftops, just like you did with the Pokémon Center.

6.5/10
Old March 16th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Semolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tImE View Post
A simple city with a fine layout.

I think you have way too much empty space, though.

Try shrinking the map 20% in both directions, but keep the size and amount of the houses, and just remove the unneccesary empty ground tiles everywhere.

Also, you shouldn't have empty space behind/above houses unless there is a road there. It looks bad. Try moving the fence and trees down, so that they are under the rooftops, just like you did with the Pokémon Center.

6.5/10
How's this? Better or worse?

Click image for larger version

Name:	city.png
Views:	66
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	71303
Old March 16th, 2014, 03:19 PM
tImE

It's a little better, but it's not that much of a difference.

Let me show you what I mean:
Spoiler:

Here, I recreated your map and fixed what I thought was needed.

I made the map slightly smaller and removed unneccesary space.
I then moved down the treeline and placed it BENEATH/BEHIND the roofs of the buildings.
This is just how I prefer it to be, though.
Old March 16th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Semolous

Quote:
It's a little better, but it's not that much of a difference.

Let me show you what I mean:
Spoiler:

Here, I recreated your map and fixed what I thought was needed.

I made the map slightly smaller and removed unneccesary space.
I then moved down the treeline and placed it BENEATH/BEHIND the roofs of the buildings.
This is just how I prefer it to be, though.
That does look a lot better, but why did you use that for the path? In firered, that's used in saffron city to show shadows.
Old March 16th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Saving Raven
Original Creator of Pokémon X

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Saving Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semolous View Post
That does look a lot better, but why did you use that for the path? In firered, that's used in saffron city to show shadows.
I believe it may have been a way to recreate what you have done, but without the tile error - the edges of the tile you were using have green on the edges so they can be placed on grass, but you placed them on (a stone path? I dont really know what to call it).
You can easily take what he has done and use it as inspiration or as a reference, it was just a way of getting his point across.

Also, pro-tip, bigger is most often than not, not always better especially with towns and other such areas, try to have a small, and controlled area. It not only looks much better, but helps give the player a sense of direction and what is going on.

~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

Old March 17th, 2014, 01:11 AM
tImE

Yeah, it's like Saving Raven said.
The path tile you used has grass corners and does not blend together with the brick-ground tile.

And Saving Raven is right, while bigger areas may look cool at first, they easily end up boring unless you can manage them right and it's better to start small, because it's easier to control the flow of the map and it's easier to not leave holes and emptiness in your wake. XD
Old March 18th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Semolous, The building right to the Gym has the "public lantern" (I don't know what that is called in English) on the wall.
Also, the grass where you put the fontaines look weird. needs some more work to make it more symethric. You should work on make it look more symethric imo.
The streets border tiles (those tiles with some green) need more work.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
The starting town in Pokémon Chaos:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Rayquaza.; March 23rd, 2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
tImE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
The starting town in Pokémon Chaos:

Spoiler:
Simple and nice.
8/10

A few points of critique though:
1. The "hidden item" area up the stairs from the lake is really straight and boring.
Try making the trees less linear in that area.

2. The South exit looks kind of overlooked. Try to give it a proper path, just like the northern one.

3. The fenced in area near the bottom looks out of place. Either give it some proper content or fill the area with trees instead. (Filling the area with differently colored flowers would be nice, for example.)
Old March 24th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Rayquaza.

Quote:
Simple and nice.
8/10

A few points of critique though:
1. The "hidden item" area up the stairs from the lake is really straight and boring.
Try making the trees less linear in that area.

2. The South exit looks kind of overlooked. Try to give it a proper path, just like the northern one.

3. The fenced in area near the bottom looks out of place. Either give it some proper content or fill the area with trees instead. (Filling the area with differently colored flowers would be nice, for example.)
How's this?

Spoiler:
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:19 AM
tImE

Quote:
How's this?

Spoiler:
Well, your really only fixed the fence thingy, but I think you put a little too many trees there.

Remove this tree and put a flower or two in its place.
Spoiler:

The score is rather unchanged, though. You went from an 8.1 to an 8.4 basically.

I suggest you try and fix the other things I mentioned aswell.
Either way the map looks fine and will probably be fun to play.
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:36 AM
VEGET@

Well, this map isn´t complete yet, it need some little details, in the house of the left corner is supposed to be some sandash.
Attached Thumbnails
a.png‎  
Old March 26th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Evilrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGET@ View Post
Well, this map isn´t complete yet, it need some little details, in the house of the left corner is supposed to be some sandash.
My overall comment with this one is that I think that there's too much space in between everything, without there being significant enough reason to walk there. Everything is so far apart, even though there's not really any way to justify it. Maybe that's what you're going for, but I'm personally not a fan of it.

It's not a town with much 'personality', but then not every town has to be. Sometimes you just need to have a 'pass-through' town, which I get the feeling this is.

I'd say it's a 6.5/10, but like I said, that's not too bad for a town without anything really important going on in it.
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:55 AM
VEGET@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilrake View Post
My overall comment with this one is that I think that there's too much space in between everything, without there being significant enough reason to walk there. Everything is so far apart, even though there's not really any way to justify it. Maybe that's what you're going for, but I'm personally not a fan of it.

It's not a town with much 'personality', but then not every town has to be. Sometimes you just need to have a 'pass-through' town, which I get the feeling this is.

I'd say it's a 6.5/10, but like I said, that's not too bad for a town without anything really important going on in it.
Yeah that town is a 'pass-through' town, in fact its the first town that the player visit after leaving his home town. I changed it a little and i upload the first town, where the player lives
Attached Thumbnails
Pueblo Tinea.png‎  
Attached Images
File Type: png Pueblo Bumao.png‎ (194.3 KB, 7 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:08 PM
Derxwna Kapsyla
X-Class Project, Derxwna, #003

Nature: Lax
Game: Touhoumon Faith & Prayer Version
Map: Cinnabar Volcano Island and Cinnabar Island, rebuilt

Large image under the spoiler, here's a direct link to the image: http://i.imgur.com/iQYDvtp.jpg
Spoiler:

Quote:
Cinnabar Island, in the era of Red the Legendary Trainer, was a very prosperous island and a very popular tourist spot. There were three reasons why people would visit the island so often and in such mass. The first of these was Cinnabar Gym, where trainers would go to challenge Blaine, the Fire Type gym leader, in an attempt to obtain the Volcano Badge. The second was Cinnabar Research Labs, were individuals who had fossilized Pokemon could go to restore the fossils to their Pokenoid forms. The third reason was the defunct Cinnabar Mansion, the former location of several scientists who engaged in the Mewtwo Project, and is rumored to the creating grounds of the MissingNo Legend (These rumors, however, are unconfirmed). These reasons helped Cinnabar Island prosper beyond its confides as an island. That all changed when the fire nation attacked when Cinnabar Volcano exploded

Cinnabar Island, two years after the Era of Red, saw a drastic and violent event happen: the eruption of Cinnabar Volcano, once thought to be dormant, that rested under Cinnabar Gym. Blaine managed to evacuate the island so that nobody got left behind, but the island was wrecked regardless. They set up a temporary Pokemon Center for refugees, and Blaine moved gym operations to a cavern within Seafoam Islands.

Three years later, Blaine decided to rebuild Cinnabar Island, just a bit further south of the original island. Within time, it became a popular tourist spot once again, with the Volcanic Caverns being the biggest tourist attraction of all. A Seismology and Geothermal Center was built on Volcano Island, in order to keep track of the volcano’s activity. Some people discovered the portions of Cinnabar Mansion remained intact under the volcano’s destruction, just very disheveled.

In the present day, Cinnabar Island has regained its role as a popular spot for tourism - vendors have set up street booths selling exotic and rare items, items from all over.

However, Cinnabar Volcano seems to be important to Team Rocket… Why that is though is anyone’s guess.
Development Blog:
For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
Game Projects:
In Progress:
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:23 PM
Rayquaza.

So I submitted this map a while back and got some unhelpful feedback on it. Nothing about how to fill the empty space or what to fill it with. Just people telling me that there is too much of it.

Original [WARNING: Big Image]:
Spoiler:

So I got back to the map earlier this week and completely re-mastered it with my newer mapping skills (Assuming I've actually learned anything) and am very happy with the outcome.

New Design [WARNING: Also a Big Image]:
Spoiler:
Old April 2nd, 2014, 05:46 PM
joeyhugg

That new design is a huge improvement. I can't put my finger on it as to why, but I really like it.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 09:25 PM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Harvey_Create
I've been mapping again since i came back. And I has curious if any one noticed the changes in my maps.
So here is a map. with sprites edited in.

Spoiler:

Mountain and grass - Magiscarf
Tree and sign - Kyedove
Rest - Me
This signature has been disabled.
Exceeds signature width limit (strictly 600 pixels or less).
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:09 PM
Rayquaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey_Create View Post
I've been mapping again since i came back. And I has curious if any one noticed the changes in my maps.
So here is a map. with sprites edited in.

Spoiler:

Mountain and grass - Magiscarf
Tree and sign - Kyedove
Rest - Me
Very plain, very simple. That isn't always a bad thing, there isn't any nitpicking I can do with space although, why is there only 1 trainer on the route? Also, the stairs look a bit unrealistic (Like they're painted on). They should overlap the cliff by about 1/4 of a tile.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:26 PM
Harvey_Create
Pokemon Apex Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Harvey_Create
Quote:
Very plain, very simple. That isn't always a bad thing, there isn't any nitpicking I can do with space although, why is there only 1 trainer on the route? Also, the stairs look a bit unrealistic (Like they're painted on). They should overlap the cliff by about 1/4 of a tile.
Yeah, I need to make better ones. I've been procrastinating them. But thanks for the criticism!
This signature has been disabled.
Exceeds signature width limit (strictly 600 pixels or less).
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Actually, I kinda like that map, Harvey. XD Though there are a few points on the map that seem quite narrow and cramped, like the place where you enter the first patch of tall grass. Add just a little extra space, and it'd be a really nice map.
Old April 5th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Spoiler:

The home town to something I'm working on.
Been making it the past few days making small changes here and there.
Like the trees patterns changed from Game Freak's style, to this one.

Etc Etc.

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Evilrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
Spoiler:

Etc Etc.
I think this is a really nice map, really natural looking. I do think that the grass and the mountain tile should blend in together better on the cliff though. Try putting two or three boulders on top of the mountain as well, so it doesn't look as plain/flat on top, and/or maybe add another layer of elevation onto the left side of it to give it a nice asymmetrical look. If you have rocks that match the mountains I think they might look nicer on the beach as well, rather than the other 'stoney' looking ones.
Old April 6th, 2014, 09:07 AM
joeyhugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
Spoiler:

Etc Etc.
The rocks are a bit strange. Do you have any 4x4 rocks in your tiles? If so, use them instead.
Old April 6th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
Spoiler:

Added new custom rocks, and added grass edges.

Etc Etc Etc.

Just strollin' to my next destination...
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links