The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Lt. Col. Fantastic
The Arianator

Nature: Sassy
I've been listening to a bunch of alt rock, and AARs new album is pretty great. Especially Affection and Bleed into you Mind. The only one I didn't like at all was Kids in the Street. Ironically the name of the album.

Mr. Aladdin sir! Have a wish or two or three!
Old July 14th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Halfcadence
Monocolorist

Nature: Quiet
Well I feel out of place, hahaha.

I'm into music more of, um, lets say, the independent persuasion? Hope that doesn't sound too too pretentious lol.

Right this moment I'm going through TV on the Radio's discography, but lately on a grander scale I've been on a bit of an electronic kick, digging a lot of stuff from The Books and Four Tet and the like. I've particularly spun the hell out of Girl Talk's album All Day.

You can check out my Last.fm profile here to get a more complete view of my tastes. I took a Beatles course last semester, which is why they're so high on my charts as of right now haha.

Completed Challenges:
ULTIMATE!
ULTIMATE!
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Katie the Friendly Ghost
I like rain.

Nature: Adamant
Minus the Bear, Metric, Boy, Smashing Pumpkins, Six Gallery, Bloc Party.

Oh and Lady Gaga.
Old July 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
As long as I remember, I've been listening to heavy metal and hard rock. It never changed much. My favorite artists include:
DIO!!!
Rainbow
Black Sabbath (Ozzy & Dio years)
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Yngwie Malmsteen
AC/DC
Whitesnake
Deep Purple
Ozzy Osbourne (Solo career after BS)
W.A.S.P.
The Jimi Hendrix Experience

There are more, but these are my most favorite ones.

Any spriter interested in having their Fakemon appear in a fan game? Or designing fake Mega Evolutions? Shoot me a PM
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Um, anything that fancies me. Dubstep, Ratatat, whatever. I'm trying to expand my taste in music elsewhere, but it's really hard when you have no money whatsoever and torrenting your favorite artists give you a guilt trip every time you download something :c

Old July 18th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I was pretty sure I had posted in here at some point, but I guess not.

I have a broad music taste so I could be listening to pretty much any genre imaginable, but I always have phases of particular genres getting a few more plays and that's currently Hip-Hop since I'm listening to a lot of Kanye and Drake.
Old July 20th, 2012, 04:47 PM
NeoPsychedelia
Admiral of the Pokéfleet

I can't describe my tastes and preferences to a definite T, but I've been listening to a lot of indie/alternative/post-punk groups lately, as well as psych/prog rock and folk. I also appreciate jazz and classical.

Some of my favorite bands and artists include Akron/Family, The Avett Brothers, Blitzen Trapper, Bon Iver, Broken Social Scene, The Clash, Coldplay, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Cure, David Bowie, Dinosaur Jr., Dire Straits, The Dismemberment Plan, Donovan, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, Fleet Foxes, Iron & Wine, Jefferson Airplane, Joy Division, Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Shins, Sigur Rós, Silversun Pickups, Smashing Pumpkins, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, The Stone Roses, The Tallest Man on Earth, Vampire Weekend, Van Morrison, The Verve, and The White Stripes.

That's only a few.
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:45 PM
FrozenInfernoZX
Legendary Trainer ZX

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to FrozenInfernoZX
I have larger tastes for Alternative Rock/Metal instrumentals and compositions. I don't know why, it's just my tastes. I'm not really into a whole lot of lyrical music, but I have been starting to search up for some more Alternative Rock bands lately.
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:03 PM
death_note
Beginning Trainer

I'm into some kpop, but I'm more into k-indie though (lesser known bands/singers)
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:56 AM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Nature: Careful
I've been listening to a lot of Kurt Vile, especially always coming back to Smoke Ring For My Halo, which has several fantastic tracks (a particular favourite would be Jesus Fever and Ghost Town).

Been listening to St. Vincent as well, I only really like two tracks from my first run-through for her third album, but then I re-listened Strange Mercy and my my my, Year Of The Tiger, Champagne Year and Dilettante are just fantastic. I don't know what went wrong with my ears during the first listening.

Also, Fleet Foxes, Civil Wars, Burial, Beirut, the soundtracks to Shame (particularly the piano pieces), and Drive (I weep to A Real Hero, k?).

Singles I've been listening to are, unashamedly, Beyonce's Irreplaceable and Sixpence None The Richer's Kiss Me.

I don't know why the hell I keep coming back to Kanye West's MBDTF. Such a good album.
Old July 24th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Dango
Que Sera, Sera

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Dango
I've been listening to a lot of anime intros recently, in particular the ones from Ef: A Tale of Memories/Melodies, Hell Girl, Black Cat, High School of the Dead, and Ergo Proxy. Some have a lot of energy to them, and then you have some mellower, darker themes to mix in here and there. Good balance for me.

As far as bands go, I just came back from Warped Tour a few days ago, so I've been into Breathe Carolina, Falling in Reverse, and Machine Gun Kelly. I knew about the first two beforehand, so MGK was the only new artist I was introduced to, but I really love his style of rapping.

"I do not belong to the world. That is the world’s limit, the boundary between the world and the self."
Old July 28th, 2012, 05:33 AM
s0nido
turn up the engine
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to s0nido
I'm like that too, I'll go through different phases of music styles throughout my life, and I'll stay in that phase for a year or two before moving on. I'm in my K-Pop phase at the moment. XD
If we're talking about specific artists, I'm currently fangirling (fanboying? Nah, fangirling sounds better for some reason. XD; ) over Girls' Generation. I fell in love when I watched their Japanese PV for Mr. Taxi. <3
Old July 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Bashiyoto
King of Carrot Flowers

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPsychedelia View Post
I can't describe my tastes and preferences to a definite T, but I've been listening to a lot of indie/alternative/post-punk groups lately, as well as psych/prog rock and folk. I also appreciate jazz and classical.

Some of my favorite bands and artists include Akron/Family, The Avett Brothers, Blitzen Trapper, Bon Iver, Broken Social Scene, The Clash, Coldplay, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Cure, David Bowie, Dinosaur Jr., Dire Straits, The Dismemberment Plan, Donovan, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, Fleet Foxes, Iron & Wine, Jefferson Airplane, Joy Division, Modest Mouse, Neutral Milk Hotel, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Shins, Sigur Rós, Silversun Pickups, Smashing Pumpkins, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, The Stone Roses, The Tallest Man on Earth, Vampire Weekend, Van Morrison, The Verve, and The White Stripes.

That's only a few.
Great taste man. I especially love NMH. I'd love to see Jeff Mangum go back to making albums instead of just playing sets in small clubs.
Old July 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM
YungKnowledge
Kigo & Jori Shipper

I have started listen to a lot classical and Jazz. I listen to mostly underground rap and I all so listen to some dubstep.

Old July 29th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Bashiyoto
King of Carrot Flowers

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungKnowledge View Post
I have started listen to a lot classical and Jazz. I listen to mostly underground rap and I all so listen to some dubstep.
I enjoy Jazz but my catalog is rather sparse. Mostly John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Grant Green, and Charles Mingus atm.
I still haven't gotten around to listening to that new Charles Gayle album that dropped this year.
Old August 6th, 2012, 11:06 PM
soopaord
Togepi

I mostly listen to Björk, The Magnetic Fields, Neutral Milk Hotel, Brazilian Girls, Beach House, MF Doom, Death Grips, Astronautalis, Caravan Palace, Tegan & Sara, Andrew Jackson Jihad, and Ancient Astronauts.
Old August 6th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Algo Fonix
oh god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashiyoto View Post
I enjoy Jazz but my catalog is rather sparse. Mostly John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Grant Green, and Charles Mingus atm.
I still haven't gotten around to listening to that new Charles Gayle album that dropped this year.
Try out some Medeski, Martin, & Wood, Return to Forever, or Niechęć if you're into any Jazz Fusion. I've been digging some Niechęć lately. Absolutely amazing stuff.
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Gleam Noiyam
Pop Goes the Gleamsel.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam
I'm into classic rock and rock music in general. I'm not into pop music whatsoever.
Sheep and I fangirl about cute stuff too much. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old September 1st, 2012, 04:36 AM
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

I don't know whether I've just always been in this subset, or whether it's a new discovery, but lately nothing can really beat quirky female singer-songwriters in my book. It's partly because I've had the most recent Fiona Apple album seared into my brain with the amount of times I've played it, but in the rare moment when I'm not listening to that, I've got tUnE-yArDs or Regina Spektor or St Vincent or even - on the less 'quirky' side of things - Azaelia Banks. I don't know if this is just a phase on my part or a new awakening, but I'm really liking it so far.
Old September 1st, 2012, 05:08 AM
shenanigans
in rainbows

My usual music taste has spun off into a weird phase of pop and rap lately. No idea why at all since I'm usually pretty neutral on pop and won't bother going out of my way to listen to it but meh, right now I'm liking it. Rap's quite normal for me though and this is just a case of me listening to it more than usual. Although I've moved away from this again just yesterday upon rediscovering Hot Chip after forgetting about them for a couple of years. And it's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog
Azaelia Banks
YES
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:36 AM
FierceDeity1
Beginning Trainer

Really into prog rock at the minute
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:34 PM
mystletainn
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I've been big on female rappers again because of Azealia Banks and fluffy pop music like Carly Rae Jepsen again. Also been listening to a little classical music to calm myself down.
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:04 AM
rndm.
Mostly inactive D:

Nature: Lonely
Currently, mostly Stone Sour and A Day To Remember. Stone Sour has an album coming next month, and judging by the first single off of it, it seems pretty damn amazing. :D
I don't really know which genre they are. They kinda combine pop with metal and rock. And it works for me. :D
Old September 16th, 2012, 04:19 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
I'm loving deadmau5, Wolfgang Gartner, Calvin Harris, Example, Skrillex (hasn't been anything new from him in a while, to my knowledge). A bit of Benny Benassi, Steve Aoki, Avicii, Nicky Romero and.. generally electronic music. Digging Azaelia Banks too, mainly for the production in the music, but the actual rapping is pretty sick too. And although David Guetta contributed to the phase in pop music in which every song was about clubs/drinks/dancing/floors, I quite like the actual music in his songs, too.

I also love Kid Cudi, because he is just a total boss.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:00 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
I listen to everything from country to pop and hip-hop to metal. I tend to prefer more rock style songs though.

At the moment I'm listening to a lot of Shaman's Harvest, Matchbox 20, Linkin Park, Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Hollywood Undead, Eminem, Insane Clown Posse, Hilltop Hoods, Bon-Jovi, The Beatles and Pink. I think Eclectic is an understatement...

Edit: I'm also waking up with either What Makes a Good Man by The Heavy or War by Edwin Starr in my head lately.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links