The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old Posted June 10th, 2012 (03:59 AM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
What's your feelings regarding being 'spoiled' in regard to entertainment? Does it drive you insane and ruin your enjoyment of the property in question? Do you actively seek out spoilers in order to fuel your knowledge? Do you even care about them?

Gogogo!
Old Posted June 10th, 2012 (04:16 AM). Edited June 10th, 2012 by Aphrodite.
Aphrodite
Community Supporter

desperate housewives
Okay, so I'm casually browsing through the Desperate Housewives tag on Tumblr, hoping to find a good picture of Bree to reblog or a sassy screenshot of Karen McCluskey (r.i.p) to also reblog, but what did I come across? *******s who don't know how to make read mores or at the very least add SPOILER to the top of their post! Those people, as far as I am concerned, have already been condemned to the deepest, hottest and most painful pit of hell, next to Hitler and the guy who thought it would be good to make Madagascar 3 and Ice Age 4, two films which have already been condemned to the cinematic version of that same pit. But, back to where I was before. I was spoiled, spoiled, I tell you! I had accidentally seen information about
Spoiler:
since i'm not a complete butthead i'll put this in a spoiler for those who still aren't aware of this yet
Spoiler:
the death of Mike Delfino. And not just that he died, oh no. But the way he went to! Oh, happy days!

So, I hate getting spoiled. Unless it's simply an urge I cannot control and I end up spoiling myself, then it's fine. But otherwise, tag your goddamn spoilers and don't spoil it for me, ugh.
Old Posted June 10th, 2012 (06:03 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
desperate housewives
Okay, so I'm casually browsing through the Desperate Housewives tag on Tumblr, hoping to find a good picture of Bree to reblog or a sassy screenshot of Karen McCluskey (r.i.p) to also reblog, but what did I come across? *******s who don't know how to make read mores or at the very least add SPOILER to the top of their post! Those people, as far as I am concerned, have already been condemned to the deepest, hottest and most painful pit of hell, next to Hitler and the guy who thought it would be good to make Madagascar 3 and Ice Age 4, two films which have already been condemned to the cinematic version of that same pit. But, back to where I was before. I was spoiled, spoiled, I tell you! I had accidentally seen information about
Spoiler:
since i'm not a complete butthead i'll put this in a spoiler for those who still aren't aware of this yet
Spoiler:
the death of Mike Delfino. And not just that he died, oh no. But the way he went to! Oh, happy days!

So, I hate getting spoiled. Unless it's simply an urge I cannot control and I end up spoiling myself, then it's fine. But otherwise, tag your goddamn spoilers and don't spoil it for me, ugh.
What's worse is that was spoiled to the public even before that episode actually aired!

For me, massive spoilers that give out the specifics - especially without warning - are what takes away the enjoyment from things such as television or books. Otherwise, I'm okay with reading about spoilers that vaguely *hints* what's to come, but doesn't give everything away. I'm even more okay with it when I'm the one looking for said spoilers.

However, I will admit, for me personally even just knowing a little bit about what to expect can take away some of the enjoyment. For example, in a case where I'm watching a show that I know some hints to what's coming and I'm seeing what's happening now, I can piece together what I already know and what's going on now and figure out what will happen before it does. In situations like that it can take away a bit of the surprise or shock value that makes entertainment more fun.

That's generally how I feel about spoilers though. Overall, big specific spoilers = Bad. Vague spoilers = OK.
Old Posted June 10th, 2012 (11:10 AM).
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Those people, as far as I am concerned, have already been condemned to the deepest, hottest and most painful pit of hell, next to Hitler and the guy who thought it would be good to make Madagascar 3 and Ice Age 4, two films which have already been condemned to the cinematic version of that same pit.
Spoilers are awful. Some people are stupid and spoil things without realizing it, and that can be forgiven, but what can never be forgiven is when you spoil something and then try to rationalize it by saying it's not really a spoiler. It's not up to you to tell me what is and isn't going to affect my entertainment experience.

deviantart blog pair
Old Posted June 10th, 2012 (01:59 PM).
Sydian
revolution

Nature: Timid
Well, there are quite a few ways I'm going to answer this one haha.

I don't read books anymore, but back when I did (...I sound like that beer guy) I would read the last page of the book. lol idk why either. It wasn't really to spoil it. I guess it's because I wanted to know what kind of note the book ended on. I never had a problem with book spoiling HOWEVER the "Snape kills Dumbledore" was spoiled for me so (as well as the deaths in GoF and OotP)...that kinda sucked, because when I read that part of the book, it didn't impact me as much as it should have.

However, when I've read the book and still know what happens, seeing it in the movie, despite KNOWING it will happen, still has a huge impact. Probably because I'm seeing it, and it's not just words on a page. That being said, I don't mind movies being spoiled. I'm not big on movies anyway, or books anymore.

TV shows! I don't watch a lot of currently running series honestly. So...spoiling isn't a huge issue. Just don't spoil a series that's currently running. Like...I'll punch you if you spoil The Legend of Korra or Food Network Star. lol I missed an episode of Korra and 3 episode of Star though so UGH.

VIDEO GAMES. Biggest one for me, if this still counts as a media thing. I mean, I'm already here answering, so might as well. I don't like these being spoiled by other people, but if I decide to look at screenshots and read the story and watch LPs -cough- Skyward Sword -cough- then that's my own decision. If YOU come up and spoil it, you're getting a kick in the face. Or something else.

And...you can't spoil music tbh so lol. Well you CAN but only if you're making it I guess okay bye.

Play the game to change the game
Old Posted June 10th, 2012 (02:16 PM).
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Usually I don't care about them at all, but there are some rare occasions where it's important to me that things aren't spoiled. The only cases I can think of where this applies are with Pokemon, TMoHS and Doctor Who, because these shows are gripping enough to warrant not being spoiled and they rely on the element of "ooo, what's going to happen now??" in order to stay as amazing as they are now. But otherwise I don't really care if I get told what's going to happen because then you have the fun of following along the story and seeing how it all worked out the way it did. c:
Old Posted June 16th, 2012 (12:35 PM).
Mr Cat Dog
It takes a lot to make a stew

Nature: Relaxed
I'm of two minds when it comes to the subject of spoilers.

On the one hand, if a property is ruined by revealing a spoiler early, then that implies that it wasn't all that great a film/TV show/book anyway, as there probably would have been more to enjoy in it than one plot point. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule (The Sixth Sense comes to mind, but none of M. Night Shyamalan's other films do), but if a property is so tied up in its one big plot twist, that's not a great sign.

However, I personally don't like to be spoiled at all. Even if the spoiler is something rudimentary or banal, I increasingly like to go into new stuff with as little information as possible. I try not to watch trailers of films I hotly anticipate, nor read cast interviews or even glimpse at the spiel that Michael Ausiello and crew churn out and call 'news'. So if someone actually spoils something for me, I'll probably overreact severely, even though I know my future experience won't have been 'ruined' by any means.

Sponsored Links