Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 26th, 2013 (12:35 PM). Edited November 26th, 2013 by MachoPony.
MachoPony

Platinum Done
Spoiler:

VS Giratina
Not even a challenge i mean what exactly could it do to scizor? nothing thats what.

Went on down the route to sunnyshore did the gym fairly easy

VS Volkner
a bit tough since freakin electivire has fire punch but i did it. jolteon was easy enough for kricketune to 2HKO with x scissor. luxray took a brick break from scizor and hit back with fire fang which i barely lived and finished with a second X scissor. electivire finished scizor after taking a bullet punch and then yanmega was able to hit it with ancientpower before dieing, dustox tanked a fire punch and hit sludge bomb poisoning him as he healed up then i hit another sludge bomb, revived yanmega and hit another ancientpower, some reviving shenanigans later and bullet punch finished it off. raichu missed focus blast and x scissor was a clean OHKO cuz frailchu.

victory Road was Fine TBH nothing overly challenging other than one chick and her magnezone (the one time i dont bring scizor who had my only fighting move)

i was around the high 40s for the E4 but i knew that wouldnt be enough considering cynthia is tough as it is let alone in a monotype challenge and Flint would be a nightmare so i used that old couple south of hearthome to grind and after a LOT (and i do mean a LOT) of grinding i got everyone to 55 except scizor and yanmega who i got to 57 (For swords dance and bug buzz respectivley yanmega also learned air slash at 54)

VS Barry
Staraptor 2HKOd Vespiquen with aerial ace taking a power gem in the process then scizor set up swords dances for days and OHKOd his entire team. i'm not kidding.

VS Aaron
if i'm having trouble now then flint will be a nightmare. so vesipquen takes down his yanmega then my yanmega takes down his vespiquen next came drapion which i hit with bug buzz before dieing, kricketune took a chunk off it then died to ice fang followed by aerial ace beautifly couldve probably KOd with bug buzz but BS flinchhax with ice fang so she died leaving vespiquen to finish up, heracross critted dustox with stone edge so i couldnt even use psychic and then bullet punch from scizor didnt do a lot and he got 2HKOd, i ended up foddering vespiquen to revive scizor and set up a swords dance by this point he was at -3 cuz of close combat so bullet punch was a clean OHKO, his own scizor was last and +2 Brick Break with Fist Plate = GG

VS Bertha
Whiscash took a giga drain and full restored so i hit it with shadow ball on the heal and finished with a second giga drain, golem took a giga drain nicely and i went for shadow ball to conserve PP but it didnt kill it seriously i dont remember golem having THAT much special defence anyway it killed me so i brought in yanmega and finished it. scizor set up swords dance and took a chunk off rhyperior with +2 Bullet Punch and then died leaving dustox to hit it with a psychic and foddered yanmega to revive beautifly who finished with giga drain, next came gliscor i just chipped away with whatever i had and she full restored a bit more chipping later i flinched with air slash from yanmega and a second one finished it, mega hit hippowdon with bug buzz and ninjadodged stone edge to finish it with a second bug buzz

VS Flint

Knew this would be a tough old battle, wasnt dissapointed. Houndoom took a bug buzz and OHKOd yanmega one fodder beautifly and a revive later mega takes it down, foddered kricketune to take an overheat from flareon allowing vespiquen to take pretty much anything it could throw and chip away with power gem till it died, third was rapidash which was just fodder everything till it killed itself with flare blitz (well ancientpower helped) magmortar was a tough SOB it took 2 ancientpowers and then healed with a sitrus berry then i had to revive scizor and vespiquen until it ran out of flamethrowers and finally scizor was tanking its thunderbolts easily allowing me to revive some stuff and hit it with bullet punch before dieing, yanmega finished it with one more ancientpower. after a speed boost mega outsped and OHKOd infernape with air slash.

VS Lucian

2EZ, Mr Mime was packing Tbolt against my knowledge so beautifly went down, kricketune 2HKOd with X-scissor (stupid reflect) yanmega took a chunk off gallade and forced the sitrus berry ninjadodging a stone edge then hit bug buzz to avoid full restore and died to stone edge, foddered kricketune and revived yanmega to finish it with air slash, espeon barely lived a bug buzz and killed yanmega with psychic, scizor set up a swords dance as he full restored ten took a psychic and finished with x scissor, bullet punch critical hit OHKOd the alakazam and bronzong barely lived an X-scissor and he healed up a second X-scissor bringing him back down to red while a third finished him for good.

VS Champion Cynthia

Yep, tough as an old boot. Spiritomb took a couple of bug buzz before finishing beautifly then scizor set up +6 and healed up before finishing it off with X scissor (she healed it to full), next came Garchomp (wow sending in the big guns a bit early there cynthia) which took a +6 Bullet punch and healed with sitrus berry then killed scizor with flamethrower, vespiquen ninjadodged a dragon rush and hit with attack order then tanked a second one and attack order scored a crit and took down chomp, next was the killing machine/togekiss but eventually i managed to have scizor tank a couple of air slashes and revive some stuff and chip away with a few bullet punches forcing the full restore then some more bullet punches till a final ancientpower from yanmega put it down. lucario forced me to revive between scizor and dustox for some tanking shenanigans and then hit it to red with a brick break only for her final full restore to show itself, a bullet punch took some health off it then i switched in yanmega that i had revived earlier (thank you dustox for ninjadodging stone edge twice) to an aura sphere then fully heal scizor and ten take an extremespeed and fully heal itself then hit air slash before dieing to stone edge, scizor came in and tanked an aura sphere and finished it with brick break. milotic used mirror coat twice as i healed and hit it with x scissor then hit me with surf which i lived easy enough and a second X scissor killed it, last was roserade which really couldnt do anything to scizor i just fully healed and 2 x scissors put it down for the count.

So that's platinum done

MVP
Scizor Definatley i mean Bug/Steel is a godsend and its incredible attack stat i just wish it got SD a bit earlier (like in gen 1 + 2)

LVP
Origonally this was yanmega as it was a pain to raise and it took forever to learn any good moves but once it learnt good moves it held its own and i doubt i wouldve beaten the E4 without it so instead my LVP is
Kricketune, OK early game but nothing spectacular then lategame it just sorta became a burden, pain to raise and really only served as fodder to revive scizor/yanmega in most of the E4 battles in fact if it wasnt mandatory (first bug type in platinum) i wouldve forgone it in favour of mothim or heracross in a heartbeat

TEAM
Spoiler:

Fluttershy (Beautifly) (Rose Insence) LV 55
Giga Drain
Bug Buzz
Shadow Ball
Stun Spore

Common Man (Dustox) (Mind Plate) LV55
Psychic
Bug Buzz
Sludge Bomb
Moonlight

Sakura (Scizor) (Fist Plate) LV 60
Brick Break
Bullet Punch
X Scissor
Swords Dance

Queenie (Vespiquen) LV 56
Attack Order
Heal Order
Slash
Power Gem

Slasher (Kricketune) (Silverpowder) LV 55
X Scissor
Strength
Focus Energy
Night Slash

Megaman (Yanmega) LV 59
Ancientpower
Return
Air Slash
Bug Buzz

platinum done, on to Black 2 (hopefully not as painful)
Old November 26th, 2013 (01:18 PM).
AoTora

Nature: Calm
Username: AoTora
Type: Fire
Challenge: Single
Game(s): LeafGreen

Can I hack in Growlithe? Because it's available only in FireRed and I'd love to use Arcanine.

Do what you believe in and believe in what you do. All else is a waste of energy and time ~ Nisargadatta.

Love is the only power that can change an enemy into a friend. ~ Martin Luther King.

I am a fan of Criminal Minds, Crossing Jordan and some other series. I am also Harry Potter fan and Disney fan (I love Frozen!) - I also like other animes beside Pokemon.
Old November 27th, 2013 (01:55 PM).
Talon
The Blade's Shadow

Nature: Hasty
LG Fighting SMC Update #4 ( I think? I've lost track.)
Spoiler:

^Made my way into Rock Tunnel. The most annoying place to be. Also, the home of my next team mate, Machop!
^Acridus [Machop] (Lv16) joined us!
^Grinded Acridus to Lv25
^Acridus evolved
^Hacked Acridus' evo level to 42. I felt that was fair, and I have no access to trading.

Current Team:
Apex / Primeape
Lv38
Cross Chop
Rage
Seismic Toss
Karate Chop

Acridus / Machoke
Lv28
Seismic Toss
Revenge
Karate Chop
Low Kick

"Eventually, my blades will find their way into your heart."
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."

Old November 27th, 2013 (11:51 PM).
MachoPony

Black 2 Bugmono Update 1

Spoiler:

Started off and picked snivy cuz i wanted rival with tepig i'm badass like that
Went through floccessy town beat down 2 trainers
caugt Sewaddle named apollo, saw it had a horrible nature
caught another one named Apollo, much better nature, boxed the first one and snivy
grinded to LV 7, beat some trainers and hugh (yay for no fire STAB yet)
caught patrat (future cutslave)
Went back to aspertia city for gym, Trainers were easy enough

VS Cheren
Funny how the one gym leader that gives me trouble normally was EASIER in a challenge run, weird but anyway so bug bite was a 2hko on patrat and he didnt potion cuz still in the yellow, then same deal with lillipup and i took a +1 tackle quite nicely.

CURRENT TEAM
Spoiler:

Apollo (Sewaddle) LV 14
Bold (+Atk -Speed)
Bug Bite
Tackle
String Shot
Old November 30th, 2013 (12:05 AM).
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

Just a question: are there any Dark-type pokemon available in Gold before reaching Kanto? I'm unable to find any information on it but it seems like the first half of the game with Dark-type only is not possible in Gen II unless I specifically hack/trade in Pokemon?

I've read the rules, just wasn't clear on this point. I'd really like to avoid using any outside influences (ie. get Pokemon legitimately) so I'd love some clarification on this before I begin. Thanks!!
Old November 30th, 2013 (03:17 AM).
Natnew

Quote originally posted by LoudSilence:
Just a question: are there any Dark-type pokemon available in Gold before reaching Kanto? I'm unable to find any information on it but it seems like the first half of the game with Dark-type only is not possible in Gen II unless I specifically hack/trade in Pokemon?

I've read the rules, just wasn't clear on this point. I'd really like to avoid using any outside influences (ie. get Pokemon legitimately) so I'd love some clarification on this before I begin. Thanks!!
I know there's umbreon...
Pichu Solo Run (post-game)
Budew Solo Run
Azurill Solo Run
friend safari: Bug (Paras, Vivilion, Masquerain) FC 2621-2615-8242
Old November 30th, 2013 (07:37 AM).
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

Quote originally posted by Natnew:
I know there's umbreon...
Oh you're right, I forgot about Umbreon, thanks!

It's just too bad you need at least two Pokemon on the team...I guess I might have to trade in a Houndour or something after all.
Old November 30th, 2013 (10:29 AM).
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive

It's just too bad you need at least two Pokemon on the team...I guess I might have to trade in a Houndour or something after all.
If you play Crystal, Sneasel is available in the Ice Path, and if you play HG/SS, you can get a Murkow in the Safari Zon, those are the only other ones available before Kanto. But you can trade/hack in a Houndour in the beginning anyway.

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old November 30th, 2013 (09:05 PM). Edited November 30th, 2013 by Necrum.
Necrum
Rebirth

Nature: Adamant
Okay, I lost my bag of games on my return trip from my family's house today. I had made 2 badges progress in my normal mono, and 3 badges progress in my fairy mono, but now none of that really matters, huh?

So, I'll get the thread updated tomorrow. I may have to restart a lot of challenges though unfortunately. Anyway, I hope you all are having better luck than me.

The game ends at Red in Johto games, so you will have a chance to catch a second dark type. But you can't get the Eevee before the 3rd gym, so you are allowed to trade one in.

The Monotype Challenge
The Ones That Got Away
Contest Super Star Challenge

Power to the People Giveaway!
Friend Code: 1435-4289-9306

NecrumWarrior Plays Stuff
Old December 1st, 2013 (06:02 AM).
Blastin'Tyruntz
Float away...to a world of joy...

Hello trying this now:

Username- KillerCroCohen
Game- Sacred gold (a variation of HeartGold with slight changes in difficulity, story and pokemon encounters, i would recommend to Normal-typers because you can find Rattata,Bidoof,Sentret and Zigzagoon in route 29 there)
Chosen type- Fire

Update 1:

-Finished the introduction
-Got my very own Cyndaquil, named...*DRUM ROLLS...*....Adar. It's a variant of the word "fire" in Hebrew.
-Got an Eevee from Cynthia at mr.Pokemon's house (yay) named Pyrrhos, it means "flame-like".
-OHKO rival's Totodile with a tackle (best eevee ever).
-Got a Charmander named Charcoal from the quiz guy at the pokecentre.
-Went to sprout tower.
-Adar evolved into a Quilava while we were at the top of sprout tower.
-The elder gave me a fire stone (by request) which i then used to evolve Pyrrhos into Flareon.
-Went into Violet gym.
-Charcoal evolved to Charmeleon inside violet city gym.
-Challanged Falkner successfuly (he has 6 pokemon!!!) and got my 1st badge.
-Got (after a long long way) to Azaela town and got a Torchic from the quiz guy at the pokecentre, named BlazieChan.
-BlazieChan evolved into a combuskin at slowpoke well.
-Battled and defeated Rocket exectutive Proton (easily!) and Togepi hatched the second i got into Azaela gym.
-Boxed Togepi 'cause he isnt a fire-type.
-After the 3rd try, defeated Bugsy (how can he be so strong when i have 4 fire-types!?)
-Arrived in Goldenrod and got a Chimchar from the quiz guy, named "Zuko".

That is it for today, see ya next time!

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 1st, 2013 (06:40 AM).
Pendraflare
DON'T BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
Oh yeah, and Necrum, I'm not novachief37 anymore; I got a name change. So make sure to adjust that when you update again!

I should probably get into doing Y for Ground… I will after classes are done.
Old December 1st, 2013 (07:15 AM).
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

Quote originally posted by NecrumWarrior:
Okay, I lost my bag of games on my return trip from my family's house today. I had made 2 badges progress in my normal mono, and 3 badges progress in my fairy mono, but now none of that really matters, huh?
You left it at their house, or you lost it on the way? Sorry to hear that man.

Quote:
The game ends at Red in Johto games, so you will have a chance to catch a second dark type. But you can't get the Eevee before the 3rd gym, so you are allowed to trade one in.
By trade in, do you mean Eevee or another dark type?

I haven't made any progress yet but I traded in a Houndour. Is that fair game?
Old December 1st, 2013 (09:17 AM).
BTR Blazin

Username: TheOneNamedJack
Type: Normal
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): FR, HG, E, Pt, B2

Kanto (Complete), Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova
Old December 1st, 2013 (12:07 PM).
Necrum
Rebirth

:( You left it at their house, or you lost it on the way? Sorry to hear that man.

By trade in, do you mean Eevee or another dark type?

I haven't made any progress yet but I traded in a Houndour. Is that fair game?
If you checked the rules you'd see that any Pokemon would work for the trade in as long as it's in your region's Pokedex, which Houndour is.

And I lost it somewhere along the trip. I had it and was playing most of the way.

The Monotype Challenge
The Ones That Got Away

Old December 1st, 2013 (12:47 PM).
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

Quote originally posted by NecrumWarrior:
If you checked the rules you'd see that any Pokemon would work for the trade in as long as it's in your region's Pokedex, which Houndour is.

And I lost it somewhere along the trip. I had it and was playing most of the way.
I did check the rules, I was just clarifying what you meant (Eevee or Houndour).

And sucks buddy. You'll rally again.
Old December 1st, 2013 (03:48 PM).
Necrum
Rebirth

Anyone who has changed their name should message me privately so I can adjust my list.

I did check the rules, I was just clarifying what you meant (Eevee or Houndour).

And sucks buddy. You'll rally again.
You can use either. I recommend Houndour since you can't find it til Kanto.

The Monotype Challenge
The Ones That Got Away

Old December 1st, 2013 (09:33 PM).
SubVirus

Hey I'm back after a semi-long break. I'm picking up where I left off with soul silver in my poison challenge. After Xmas I plan to play X or Y (whichever I end up with) to continue my poison mono-type challenge. Right now in soul silver I am working on the light house and I'll be in gym 5 soon enough. I'll update more as I get to it. My current team is beedrill lv24 gasly lv24 Nidoran lv24 croagunk lv24(because of the birthday this thread had when I started soul silver) golbat lv24 and weepinbell lv24.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z
Old December 2nd, 2013 (12:00 PM).
brodioh

I'm restarting my fighting monotype and instead starting an ultimate ground monotype. Also I'll soon be getting around to my psychic ultimate for Platinum.

Current Challenges

Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh-Unova

Kanto-Johto-Hoenn-Sinnoh-Unova

Completed Challenges

Platinum Bronzong(Belte)
Solo Challenge

Old December 3rd, 2013 (06:38 AM). Edited December 3rd, 2013 by Astinus.
Blastin'Tyruntz
Float away...to a world of joy...

UPDATE FOR YA FOLKS:

-Grinded for some levels for Zuko and BlazieChan because they were relatively underleveled.
-Zuko evolved into monferno.
-Fought Lyra in the tunnel.
-Got stuck because i dont remember where i should go. Anyone playing HG/SS knows what to do after beating Lyra in the tunnel?

Update:

-Did the radio card quiz to unlock Whitney's gym and got in the gym.
-I caught a wild Vulpix on route 36 after beating Whitney, and i called her "Seraphina".
-I evolved Seraphina into Ninetales.
-Bought lots of TMs.
-Got to Ecruteak, Deafeated Morty (1st try!)
-Went on route 38.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old December 3rd, 2013 (09:40 AM). Edited December 3rd, 2013 by Tyrael.
Tyrael
This is a Sailor's Prayer
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrael
Username: A Dyl To Remember
Type: Fighting
Game(s): Y

Mainly doing this as a reason to keep picking Chespin as starter on my Y so I can get Articuno! XD

UPDATE to my Challenge:

Started game, picked Chespin and named her Tank. Trained up a little before first gym, got a perfect 3 turn Viola fight. Caught a Scraggy on Route 5, named her Scribbles. Progressed through the story and then caught myself a Meditite in Connecting Cave, named him Wippy Dip. While on Route 7 I caught a Croagunk that I named Frogger. Ran up to Route 10 and trained a little, catching myself a Hawlucha, that I named Nacho, while doing so. Beat the second gym and now i'm training up a little more at the Battle Chateau.

Current team:

Frogger - Naughty - Level 30
Wippy Dip - Adamant - Level 30
Nacho - Jolly - Level 31
Scribbles - Serious - Level 31
Tank - Naughty - Level 33

Oh yeah.. All of these Pokemon except Tank were caught as first encounters. I did not catch multiple times for these natures XD

As long as these struggles are aimless, we will all be standing still.
Trade Thread3DS FCPair
Old December 3rd, 2013 (05:15 PM). Edited December 3rd, 2013 by Necrum.
Necrum
Rebirth

Updated through post #2672

Well, the good news is I still have some of my challenges backed up as save files, so I didn't lose everything. They did get pushed back a couple of badges, but at least I have them.

I've never done a challenge before, I'd like to take this on!

Name: LoudSilence
Type: Dark
Games:Gold/Firered/Ruby/Diamond/Black/Black2/X

Man I know I'm in over my head here haha. Let's do this!
FireRed is unnecessary since the game has no dark types. Also Black and Black 2 is redundant, but if you want to do both that's fine.

Quote originally posted by AoTora:
Username: AoTora
Game(s): LeafGreen

Can I hack in Growlithe? Because it's available only in FireRed and I'd love to use Arcanine.
Sorry, version exclusives are trade in only.

Quote originally posted by Lowvyr:
^Hacked Acridus' evo level to 42. I felt that was fair, and I have no access to trading.
Allowable. I know some of you have no way to trade.

Quote originally posted by KillerCroCohen:
-Got stuck because i dont remember where i should go. Anyone playing HG/SS knows what to do after beating Lyra in the tunnel?
Lyra is not fightable in the original HG/SS, so good luck figuring it out. You'd have to talk to someone playing SacredGold to find out.

The Monotype Challenge
The Ones That Got Away

Old December 3rd, 2013 (08:12 PM). Edited December 3rd, 2013 by Harmonious Fusion.
Harmonious Fusion
there are no lovers, only destroyers

Nature: Bashful
Username: Harmonious Fusion
Game(s): LeafGreen, Silver, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2

Type: Water
Game(s): Gold

Type: Grass
Game(s): Emerald

I already completed a fire run in X for an Ultimate Monotype thread on another site, but that thread's rules allowed event downloads, Exp. Share, and Mega Evolution, so I took advantage of all of them. Am I allowed to count it?

Old December 3rd, 2013 (08:50 PM).
SubVirus

Update for the my Poison Monotype in Soul Silver
I beat all of the Lighthouse and grind through all of the swimmers and caught a Tentacool (lvl 24)
I haven't decided if i'm going to keep him or not but i liked Tentacool in the last game i played so maybe.
I beat Gym 5 with no problems it was really a 1/5 challenge (5 being hardest)
Went back to Gym 6 and had a terrible time with this gym... It took locking down Steelix with confusion and sleep with curse all from my haunter while i swapped out other pokemon to keep from getting 1 shot by the iron tail of doom. Curse was used when Steelix was all there was left and since there is no cure it enevitably got rid of steelix. Off i go then.
Old December 4th, 2013 (03:50 PM).
BTR Blazin

Finished normal monotype in Kanto. Moving on to Johto now.
Pokemon FireRed.png
Old December 5th, 2013 (09:26 AM).
Necrum
Rebirth

Picked up a new GBA SP yesterday! Decided to continue my Water Monotype on it with my new Silver Version. So I picked Totodile and am currently on my way to Violet City.

The Monotype Challenge
The Ones That Got Away

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links