Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 3rd, 2013 (12:21 PM).
iwnd46
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quirky
Update on the FireRed Normal challenge.

WOW! Huge update

-Got 3rd and 4th badge
-Caught HM SLave Oddish
-Caught Spearow
-Grinded it to fearow(FearMe)
-Got Meowth
-Grinded it to Persian(Milk)
-Beat Rocket Base(in Slots area)
-Left for Fuchsia
-Caught Snorlax(Jay)
-Entered Fucshia
-AFTER 2 HOURS IN THE SAFARI ZONE I FINALLY CAUGHT A KANGAKAHN !!!(appropriatley named Winnah)
-Grinded him up
-Team is basically complete!
-Faced one trainer in Koga's gym

Spoiler:
Team:
RaticateLv.33
Good Attack and speed
HyperFang is best move.

Snorlax Lv. 32
Great Health SpecialD. and Attack

Headbutt
Persian Lv 34
Speedy Special Attacker
Water Pulse
ShockWave
PayDay and Bite

Fearow
Flyer
Decent Attack and speed(Kills Grass Types)

Kangaskahn (WINNAH!!)
GREAT ATTACK HEALTH DEFENSE (decent speed)
Mega Punch Fake Out

Also Eevee in my box

MAT SMELLS. >:D
No Kirsten smells. >;D
Old February 3rd, 2013 (09:29 PM).
waveguidebuizel
no ordinary buizel

Nature: Timid
Long overdue update (#3) on my HeartGold grass monotype run, with 8 badges now. I really should do these updates more often so I won't forget as much...
Spoiler:

-Lake of Rage stuff with the Red Gyarados, and off to the Rocket hideout in Mahogany.
-I believe Cilantro evolved into Sunflora around this time.
-The Rocket hideout wasn't much of a problem, if I recall.
-Mahogany Gym. I was pretty worried coming in here. The battle with Pryce was kinda interesting, as we were both strong against each other. Anise (Jumpluff) knocked out his Seel, and his Dewgong avenged it. So I sent out Cilantro (Sunflora), who got revenge with Petal Dance. The move continued against his Piloswine, which brought it down to like 1 HP. I don't think I survived Piloswine's attack because of the damage taken from Dewgong already. Finally, I destroyed Piloswine with either Chicory (Meganium) or Ginger (Weepinbell). Can't remember. Good battle though, and we won the Glacier Badge from that. ^-^

-So the Radio Tower stuff is next, and we head for Goldenrod to do that.
-The Rival battle in the underground area wasn't exactly easy. His whole team was either strong against Grass and/or resistant, although Sneasel only used like Faint Attack or something. Quilava and Magnemite (Magneton?) were easily taken care of, and I think Haunter was a bit annoying. But his Golbat! Frustrating luck with Confuse Ray and stuff! I think only two of my pokémon survived.
-Archer was another scary battle. That Houndoom was at a higher level than my whole team, but Leech Seed and Synthesis are godsends. I think Reflect was helpful too.

-So with that done, we can finally travel to the Ice Path. On the way, I catch Sage (Tangela) and replace Clove (Parasect) with it, because I'll probably train a Parasect in FireRed anyways, and Tangrowth isn't available then. Also, the sun is bad for my Parasect's health. She's done good up to this point, so I definitely appreciate having her around though.
-Got through the Ice Path and made it to Blackthorn.
-Went through Dark Cave and beat all trainers on the mountain. This took lots of runs through the Ice Path, because I don't have a flyer. Good for training though, and Ice Path isn't too annoying.
-Got another Sun Stone from the Bug Catching Contest, and a Leaf Stone from Pokéathlon.
-Did some grinding and evolved Ginger into a Victreebel and Sage into a Tangrowth.
-Blackthorn Gym. I was so afraid coming into this gym, so that's why I did the grinding (also because of replacing Clove with Sage). Clair did cause problems, but not as much as I expected. She did switch her Gyarados out at one point, which took me by surprise. Also, her Thunder Waving Dragonair are really annoying, especially with Shed Skin. Kingdra was actually not much of a threat. I did lose four pokémon, but I only used five. Anise (Jumpluff) was definitely the MVP here; Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, U-turn, and the occasional Synthesis made her indestructible! :D And I was regretting teaching U-turn too... Leech Seed, as always, is a savior. Especially with Shed Skin running rampant.
-Clair, being a baby, made us go through the Dragon's Den stuff. So we did that and got the Rising Badge, making eight! Also had to teach Whirlpool to my HM slave, Slowpoke. And I found out that it can't learn Waterfall... Gonna need a different slave soon.
-Professor Elm called, so we go back and get the Master Ball. He tells us the Kimono Girls are waiting...

The team so far:
Spoiler:

Chicory (Meganium, male) Lv. 40
Overgrow
@Miracle Seed
-Petal Dance
-Reflect
-Synthesis
-Light Screen

Ginger (Victreebel, female) Lv. 39
Chlorophyll
@Shell Bell
-Razor Leaf
-Sludge Bomb
-Stun Spore
-Vine Whip

Anise (Jumpluff, female) Lv. 40
Chlorophyll
@King's Rock
-U-turn
-Synthesis
-Sleep Powder
-Leech Seed

Thyme (Gloom, male) Lv. 40
Chlorophyll
@Poison Barb
-Acid
-Sleep Powder
-Mega Drain
-Sweet Scent

Cilantro (Sunflora, male) Lv. 39
Chlorophyll
@Quick Claw
-Petal Dance
-Sunny Day
-Leech Seed
-Synthesis

Sage (Tangrowth, male) Lv. 39
Leaf Guard
@BrightPowder
-Mega Drain
-PoisonPowder
-AncientPower
-Growth

HM Slave:
-Surf
-Whirlpool
-Flash
-Strength

while keeping perfect time
you’ll bag up these hearts of mine
with your rhythmic shaking motion
let’s mix up more of our love potion

Water Safari: Octillery, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
Searching for Minccino, Gastrodon, Liepard, and Braixen safaris
Old February 4th, 2013 (09:23 AM).
Mega Mawile

Nature: Relaxed
Hey guys, I don't have an update yet, but I have a question. How do I beat Brock without grinding, just with a Pikachu? I don't want to overgrind, because that defeats the purpose of doing a challenge. If someone could respond, it would be much appreciated. Bye! Oh, and I have no money.

P.S. How do I upload pictures? I tried with my Poison update but it just showed a little icon, not the picture. I know how to take a screen capture with the emulators, but I must be doing something wrong with uploading. Bye!

I formerly owned several challenges, but no longer wish to run them due to other commitments that I must honor first.
Old February 4th, 2013 (10:06 AM).
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
You have no choice but to grind, unfortunately. I did it in yellow and I don't remember what level I finally was at when I defeated Brock but it was well above level 15 (I think I won finally by spamming Slam, level 20). Pikachu's early moveset in yellow isn't much different than in whatever version you're using so there's no way to get around it, unless you get REALLY lucky and somehow pull off 10 critical hits in a row.

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old February 4th, 2013 (10:19 AM).
WarriorCat
Monotype lover!!!!!

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by Samurott01:
Hey guys, I don't have an update yet, but I have a question. How do I beat Brock without grinding, just with a Pikachu? I don't want to overgrind, because that defeats the purpose of doing a challenge. If someone could respond, it would be much appreciated. Bye! Oh, and I have no money.

P.S. How do I upload pictures? I tried with my Poison update but it just showed a little icon, not the picture. I know how to take a screen capture with the emulators, but I must be doing something wrong with uploading. Bye!
Just like Griffinbane said, you can't beat Brock without grinding, unless you get lucky with a bunch of critical hits.

As for the screenshots, you have to upload them to a image hosting site first, I use Imgur.com, then after uploading them to the website(like imgur), copy the image URL, paste it to your posting section, and put the [IMG][/IMG] tags around it.

I'm using a picture I used in a previous post as an example.

Here's how it should look if you do it right.

And here is the img url with the tags, take the *s at the ends out out.
[*IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HHTY5IR.png[/IMG*]
Old February 4th, 2013 (11:17 AM). Edited February 4th, 2013 by Mega Mawile.
Mega Mawile

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurott01

Just like Griffinbane said, you can't beat Brock without grinding, unless you get lucky with a bunch of critical hits.

As for the screenshots, you have to upload them to a image hosting site first, I use Imgur.com, then after uploading them to the website(like imgur), copy the image URL, paste it to your posting section, and put the [IMG][/IMG] tags around it.

I'm using a picture I used in a previous post as an example.

Here's how it should look if you do it right.

And here is the img url with the tags, take the *s at the ends out out.
[*IMG]http://i.imgur.com/HHTY5IR.png[/IMG*]
Thank you for helping me with the pictures, I'll make sure to do that.

Quote:
You have no choice but to grind, unfortunately. I did it in yellow and I don't remember what level I finally was at when I defeated Brock but it was well above level 15 (I think I won finally by spamming Slam, level 20). Pikachu's early moveset in yellow isn't much different than in whatever version you're using so there's no way to get around it, unless you get REALLY lucky and somehow pull off 10 critical hits in a row.
Thanks, I was also thinking I could spam Double Team at like level 15 or whatever, but your idea works too.

EDIT: Ok, so I tried the Double Team strategy, but Onix kept using Rock Tomb and it killed me. Remember, I only had one Potion. Anyone have any other ideas?

I formerly owned several challenges, but no longer wish to run them due to other commitments that I must honor first.
Old February 4th, 2013 (11:49 AM).
Necrum
Ḩ̑̎ͨͤ̈̑͋͆҉̯͟ ̮͍e̔̚͏̤̻̼̮l̏ͦl ô̒́́ ͪ̋,͈͎ͮͨ̉̌̂͝͡ ͙͖̯͍ͮ͛̊̃͂͛h̆̉ e ̴̅̽̇͑̓͋̃ͫ́҉lͩ ̟͎̓̀́ͯ̏̑l̑͒͐o

Nature: Adamant
You can upload pictures to your profile as well. That's what I do for pics I need for a post.

The Monotype Challenge
The Ones That Got Away
Contest Super Star Challenge

Power to the People Giveaway!
Friend Code: 1435-4289-9306

NecrumWarrior Plays Stuff
Old February 4th, 2013 (01:16 PM).
WarriorCat
Monotype lover!!!!!

I have a small update for Diamond.

I beat Wake and saved, I have my full team, I always of use 2-4 Pokemon instead of a full team for HM slaves.

I am also changing Blue and Silver to LeafGreen and SoulSilver for my Water Mono, and Red and Gold to FireRed and HeartGold for my Grass Mono, I'm also not continuing my monotypes until I finish the event challenge.
Old February 4th, 2013 (01:49 PM).
Necrum
Ḩ̑̎ͨͤ̈̑͋͆҉̯͟ ̮͍e̔̚͏̤̻̼̮l̏ͦl ô̒́́ ͪ̋,͈͎ͮͨ̉̌̂͝͡ ͙͖̯͍ͮ͛̊̃͂͛h̆̉ e ̴̅̽̇͑̓͋̃ͫ́҉lͩ ̟͎̓̀́ͯ̏̑l̑͒͐o

I am also neglecting Monotypes until I finish the event challenge.
>.>
<.<
That being said, here's a sign up for another Monotype!

Username: NecrumWarrior
Type: Fighting
Challenge: Ultimate
Games: LeafGreen, HeartGold, Ruby, Platinum, Black

I will be starting this challenge with Black version, since my copy is stagnating right now, and I can catch about half of my team before the second Gym. I should have my new computer in a couple of weeks, but I will try to get an update done on the initial post from my mom's computer.

The Monotype Challenge
The Ones That Got Away

Old February 4th, 2013 (02:28 PM).
thescourgex2
Like a sir!

Sounds interesting

Username: Thescourgex2
Type: Flying
Challengeingle
Game: FireRed
Old February 4th, 2013 (06:25 PM). Edited February 4th, 2013 by Zerkon.
Zerkon
Togepi

Location: A house in a city in a state on this planet in this universe.
Nature: Lonely
I apologize for the lack of anything really. I kinda starting losing time to do this in. Really, the only things that have happened are me getting the starter,Twiggy, beating my rival twice, catching an Abra and naming it 'Magic', as per my tradition. I am now level grinding, but haven't even gotten a badge yet. But yeah, I AM still doing this, mind you. I also realize Platnium was like the worst game of the three to choose, because giratina is part Ghost....oh well, too late now. besides, it gives me a challenge.

I am psychic, and proud of it!
Kanto:Completed
Johto:Completed
Hoenn:Completed
Sinnoh: 1/8 Badges
Unova:N/A
Old February 5th, 2013 (05:35 AM).
Necrum

Quote originally posted by Zerkon:
I apologize for the lack of anything really. I kinda starting losing time to do this in. Really, the only things that have happened are me getting the starter,Twiggy, beating my rival twice, catching an Abra and naming it 'Magic', as per my tradition. I am now level grinding, but haven't even gotten a badge yet. But yeah, I AM still doing this, mind you. I also realize Platnium was like the worst game of the three to choose, because giratina is part Ghost....oh well, too late now. besides, it gives me a challenge.
No need to apologize. These things are all go at your own pace, and plenty of people take very long amounts of time to finish. Just look at me! I started lg with bugs in august and only finished last month!

Also, diamond would probably be the worst of the three, not platinum. Dat steel type. >.<

The Monotype Challenge
The Ones That Got Away

Old February 5th, 2013 (07:22 AM). Edited February 12th, 2013 by Lulu.
Lulu
Yep, that tasted purple.
Community Supporter

Username: KagamiChan
Type: Bug
Game(s):Pokémon Leaf Green, Pokémon Heart Gold, Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Black
Current Game: Pokémon Emerald

Current state of things:
Spoiler:

Wurmple got captured

Wurmple evolved into Cascoon

Cascoon evolved into Dustox

Silcoon got captured

Nincada got captured

Silcoon evolved into Beautifly

Defeated Roxanne

Encountered Shiny Nincada while trying to catch one for Cut using purposes(my very first wild shiny encounter ever *o*)

Shiny Nincada is now all mine <3

(not to mention the nature's not half bad either o.O )

Decided to replace my old Nincada with the Shiny one (for obvious reasons *o* <3)

"The best path between two points is upside-down, between, then inside-out and round again."
Old February 5th, 2013 (08:11 AM).
TheAuraGuardian
Unhatched Egg

Username - TheAuraGuardian
Type - Fire
Challenge - Ultimate
Games - FireRed, Soulsilver, Ruby, Platinum, Black
Old February 5th, 2013 (02:54 PM). Edited February 6th, 2013 by Lulu.
Lulu
Yep, that tasted purple.
Community Supporter

IGN: KagamiChan
Game(s):
Pokémon Fire Red, Pokémon Heart Gold, Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Black
Current Game:
Pokémon Emerald

Update No.2

Spoiler:
Reached Dewford Island.
Defeated Brawly

Reached Slateport City
Battled Team Aqua
Delivered Devon Goods
Trained my Pokemon on Route 110

My Shiny Nincada evolved

And the Shedinja

Paid the Name Rater a few visits xD

Current Team:

Kamitsu

Level: 20
Ability: Swarm
Nature: Quiet
Hold Item: Miracle Seed
Moves:
◦Morning Sun
◦Absorb
◦Gust
◦Stun Spore

Yuudoku

Level:
Ability: Shield Dust
Nature: Modest
Hold Item: Quick Claw
Moves:
◦Moonlight
◦Confusion
◦Protect
◦Gust

Tekkaku

Level:
Ability:
Speed Boost
Nature:
Naughty
Hold Item:
Soothe Bell
Moves:
◦Fury Swipes
◦Screech
◦Leech Life
◦Fury Cutter

Nukegara
Level: 20
Ability:
Wonder Guard
Nature:
Naughty
Hold Item:
None
Moves:
◦Fury Swipes
◦Screech
◦Leech Life
◦Fury Cutter

"The best path between two points is upside-down, between, then inside-out and round again."
Old February 5th, 2013 (06:25 PM).
WarriorCat
Monotype lover!!!!!

I don't have an update, but I do have a question.

Can we use Pokewalker Pokemon? I want to use Horsea from Winner's Path in SoulSilver.
Old February 6th, 2013 (12:53 AM). Edited February 6th, 2013 by Lulu.
Lulu
Yep, that tasted purple.
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by WarriorCat:

Can we use Pokewalker Pokemon? I want to use Horsea from Winner's Path in SoulSilver.

I'm kinda wondering this myself as I'd wanna be able to use Dream World Pokémon when I decide to take the challenge in Black/White. And well, the concept is kind of the same in both cases @w@

Old February 6th, 2013 (04:54 AM).
Crackin355
Mime Jr.

Quote originally posted by NecrumWarrior:
No need to apologize. These things are all go at your own pace, and plenty of people take very long amounts of time to finish. Just look at me! I started lg with bugs in august and only finished last month!

Also, diamond would probably be the worst of the three, not platinum. Dat steel type. >.<
It took me 2 years to get through Kanto & Johto before I restarted and beat all of them within a year. It can really take a while depending on your pace.

Also, I beat Jasmine, but I'm not updating simply because I lack time. Once I own a new game (in this case, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm) I play it for 3 days or until I beat the main story than usually fade off playing it, so I'm playing it constantly for 3 days right now.

Also, it's my birthday, yay.

Kanto - Rainbow Badge - 5/3/13

----------------------------------------------------------
[Completed Monotype Challenges]
[Click on Type to go to Final Teams]
Old February 6th, 2013 (05:03 AM).
Lulu
Yep, that tasted purple.
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Crackin355:
-snip-
Yay another fellow bug challenger! *o*

I usually play for some time. I try finishing them in about a month or two tops @w@ But sometimes I drag them around for months x.x So I know the feeling.

Before I forget... Happy Birthday

Old February 6th, 2013 (08:26 AM).
Necrum

Quote originally posted by WarriorCat:

Quote originally posted by KagamiChan:
I'm kinda wondering this myself as I'd wanna be able to use Dream World Pokémon when I decide to take the challenge in Black/White. And well, the concept is kind of the same in both cases @w@
Yes, Pokewalker and Dream World are allowed. But, as it is impossible to obtain Winner's Path anymore without hacking, that particular option is not allowed. Sorry.

The Monotype Challenge
The Ones That Got Away

Old February 6th, 2013 (12:26 PM).
WarriorCat
Monotype lover!!!!!

Yes, Pokewalker and Dream World are allowed. But, as it is impossible to obtain Winner's Path anymore without hacking, that particular option is not allowed. Sorry.
On my retail copy of HG and it's Pokewalker, I have never deleted it's save file, so it's almost 100%, I have all events and Pokewalker courses. I was just going to trade it from that to SS.
Old February 6th, 2013 (12:56 PM).
Necrum

Trading is only allowed for pokemon that are in your region's dex but unavailable in your game. As horsea is available in the game without trading, this would still not be allowed. Kind of a weird gray area, I know, but my rules are pretty specific about trading.

The Monotype Challenge
The Ones That Got Away

Old February 6th, 2013 (01:40 PM). Edited February 12th, 2013 by Lulu.
Lulu
Yep, that tasted purple.
Community Supporter

IGN: KagamiChan
Game(s):
Pokémon Leaf Green, Pokémon Heart Gold, Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Black
Current Game:
Pokémon Emerald

Update No.3

Spoiler:
Continued from Slateport City
Battled all trainers up to Mauville
Got my Bike
Battled all trainers from the Cycling Road
Spent all my money and quite a few hours at the Game Corner for TM purposes
Obtained Psychic TM after time well spent at the Game Corner
Battled all trainers on Route 117
Illumise got captured

Volbeat got captured

Paid the Name Rater some more visits.
Decided to box Shedinja in favor of either Heracross or Pinsir when the time comes to get one.

Defeated Watson

Carried on to Verdanturf
Reunited the lovers
Defeated all trainers on Route 113
Reached Fallarbor Town
Met Lanette
Battled more trainers
Passed through Meteor Falls where I battled Team Aqua
Retraced my steps back to Mauville where I spent all my money once again and got my second Psychic TM
Went over to Mt Chimney
Beat up Team Magma
Grabbed the Meteorite
Got a few cookies from the nice little old lady
Trained a wee bit at the Jagged Pass
Battled a few trainers there
Reached Lavaridge Town

Spent a whole lot of time battling Flannery over and over until I finally beat her and snatched her badge

Battled trainers in the desert
Considered playing in Mirage Tower but decided not to.
Went back to petalburg where I defeated "dad" (Norman)

Went back to Mauville City where I ran an errand for Watson
Surfed about and battled trainers
Played on the old ship
Went to Route 19 and grabbed my Tropius HM slave, thus getting my 2nd and last HM slave.
Went back to Mauville for my reward (Thunderbolt TM)
Stopped there

Current Team:

Kamitsu
Level: 32
Nature: Quiet
Hold Item: Miracle Seed
Moves:
◦Morning Sun
◦Mega Drain
◦Gust
◦Psychic

Yuudoku
Level:
Ability: Shield Dust
Nature: Modest
Hold Item: Quick Claw
Moves:
◦Moonlight
Psychic
Light Screen
◦Gust

Tekkaku
Level:
Ability:
Speed Boost
Nature:
Naughty
Hold Item:
None
Moves:
Slash
◦Screech
Swords Dance
Secret Power

Keika
Level:
Ability:
Oblivious
Nature:
Hardy
Hold Item:
None
Moves:
Quick Attack
Thunderbolt
Encore
Moonlight

Hotarubi
Level: 33
Nature: Calm
Hold Item: Soothe Bell
Moves:
◦Signal Beam
◦Confuse Ray
◦Protect
◦Moonlight

Old February 6th, 2013 (01:50 PM).
Tyranitar042
Tyranitar King

I give up Ive restarted 4 times on my fighting monotype bc my save file was corrupted or it simply did not save so idk if im going to do another challenge or what so ill sit on it

Tyranitar

Royalty and Loyalty!!
It never fails!!
Old February 6th, 2013 (06:01 PM).
WarriorCat
Monotype lover!!!!!

Trading is only allowed for pokemon that are in your region's dex but unavailable in your game. As horsea is available in the game without trading, this would still not be allowed. Kind of a weird gray area, I know, but my rules are pretty specific about trading.
Okay, no problem.

I have another update, I'll be playing them completely randomly, like I'll play little of one game, and then a little of another.

I haven't continued on Diamond, but I started LG and SS.
I'm too lazy to put pics right now, but I'll put some up on the next update.

On SoulSilver, so far I've gotten to Olivine City with 4 badges, and saved before continuing to Route 40 next member will be caught on Route 41(Chinchou).
Feraligatr Lv.34
- Ice Fang
- Crunch
- Water Gun
- Headbutt

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And on LeafGreen, I started, I'm only saved at Viridian City, after the Parcel stuff.
I also Hacked in Shellder at level 5 since he's only available in FR.
Squirtle Lv.8
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
- Bubble
-

Shellder Lv.5
- Tackle
- Withdraw
-
-
Closed Thread
Quick Reply