The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

View Poll Results: Who is the hardest Hoenn Gym Leader?
Roxanne 5 1.77%
Brawly 24 8.51%
Wattson 26 9.22%
Flannery 7 2.48%
Norman 51 18.09%
Winona 22 7.80%
Tate & Liza 128 45.39%
Wallace/Juan 19 6.74%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 15th, 2012 (02:46 AM).
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
I'm gonna have to say that Tate & Liza are the hardest. I remember my first time playing Ruby, I was unable to beat them, no matter what. Solrock and Lunastone are just that annoying (Especially Solrock with Flamethrower...)

But now that I am more experienced, I don't think any of them is really hard xD

Any spriter interested in having their Fakemon appear in a fan game? Or designing fake Mega Evolutions? Shoot me a PM
Old July 15th, 2012 (03:13 AM).
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

In my current runs of Pokemon Emerald they are really weak but when i first played emerald i would have to say it was wattson.I couldnt beat him and i only had a dream in which i beated him and proceeded.But then i trained my grovyle , taught him leaf blade and won.

After wattson it was the twins.The gave me a hard time as well.

White 2:4814-8483-7594
3DS:4871 4138 8216
Friend Safari:Bug with Combee,Illumise and Heracross!
Old July 15th, 2012 (07:14 PM).
Katie the Friendly Ghost
I like rain.

Nature: Adamant
Flannery. I never picked Mudkip, and there's like very few Water Pokemon that you can get before Lavaridge, so Torkoal typically beat the crap out of me.

Oh and Watson. Again with the absence of Mudkip, Magneton and Manectric were maniacal.
Old July 15th, 2012 (07:22 PM).
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the Friendly Ghost View Post
Flannery. I never picked Mudkip, and there's like very few Water Pokemon that you can get before Lavaridge, so Torkoal typically beat the crap out of me.

Oh and Watson. Again with the absence of Mudkip, Magneton and Manectric were maniacal.
Here, here. TORKOAL's OVERHEAT and the MAGNETON of WATSON's was just horrific. I dreaded both those gyms.

It takes a VERY WELL trained COMBUSKEN or even BLAZIKEN to get past WATSON and if you have TREEKO, god help you you had better picked up a MAKUHITA before coming to SLATEPORT.
Old July 15th, 2012 (07:23 PM). Edited July 15th, 2012 by Nomine.
Nomine
サトセレ

Nature: Calm
The most difficult gym leader(s) in Hoenn are Tate and Liza for sure. It always takes me at the very least three attempts before actually defeating them. Something about their combo... it just works. Swampert is always my favorite against the two. Even with Surf, however, they are still very, very arduous to defeat. Blaziken and Sceptile are basically useless against them, considering Lunatone and Solrock both pack Psychic.The latter also has Solarbeam, which makes having Swampert difficult, too.

My Role-Playing Twitter Accounts follow!
Writer
Brock
Calem
Old July 16th, 2012 (01:58 AM).
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Hope will never die! ~Lucina

Nature: Quiet
Tate and Liza. When i was little, i didn't really have much idea on team building, and all i had was a Blaziken, Mighteyena and Magneton. Took me many tries to beat them.
Old July 16th, 2012 (02:25 AM).
Yui Hirаsаwа
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Brawly, he always seemed to get crazy luck with criticals especially when he uses Focus Energy -,-
Old July 16th, 2012 (11:28 AM).
Sephirothxx
Pre-ordered Omega Ruby <3 I'll finally be up to date with Pokemon.

Nature: Relaxed
My first time through Ruby Wattson was a pain. Tate and Liza were also super hard but then I got the giga drain TM and destroyed them. The one I still have trouble with is Winona. I rage so hard at her.
Old July 16th, 2012 (11:41 AM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Norman. I don't know why but EVERY game with a NORMAL type Gym Leader takes me a few tries to beat even with Type Advantage and being over leveled. I always have the worst luck with Normal Gyms.

Norman being the King at the top. That damned Slaking. Over Powered annoyance. Vigoroth is no joke either. TTwTT HATE Norman. Every other Gym I breeze through. But Norman ALWAYS slows me down. My first time against him I had to take on his gym five times before I beat him.

Whitney takes me about 3 tries, and Lenora took me 4 tries. (Hypnosis raped) Norman is just the King of Hell for me.
Old July 19th, 2012 (01:30 PM).
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

As a kid I had a pretty rough time with most of them. They were a lot tougher than Gen I and II gym leaders, at least to me as a kid. Can't really remember who gave me the most hard time, but I'd say Tate & Liza take the number one. I had some rough time against Norman, Winona and even Flannery when I started with Torchik. Wasn't really a fan of grinding back then.
Old July 28th, 2012 (04:36 AM).
Ciax
Ledian Used Starlight!

Nature: Sassy
Definetly Wattson, not because of the electricity type, but because of the steel typing. If you treecko you didn't really stand a chance. I mostly chose mudkip which made it a breeze but on my bug monotype I was stuck on Wattson for three dyas straight. I had to grind 5 levels to beat him.
Old July 28th, 2012 (08:32 PM).
Leviathan-666
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quirky
Wattson! That dang manectric wiped out my whole team several times with shock wave! Norman and Tate and Liza were difficult too but I beat them both on my first try... I probably lost to Wattson like 10 times before I finally got that badge!
Old July 28th, 2012 (11:05 PM).
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

How is Liza and tate hard???. They use Psychics. Only formidable ones are Solrock and Lunatone. Because they are rocks. Over whalm them with brute force and they crumble. You cant do that with water/ice types
Old July 31st, 2012 (06:35 PM).
Megaman3007
MTF FTW :)

The twins in Mosedeep that one was hard
Old August 1st, 2012 (06:22 AM).
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
Having just recently defeated all 8, I'd have to say the one I had the most trouble with was Norman! That Slaking was just too annoying!

Winona would probably take second place, 'cause of that damn Altaria! And in third place I'd put Juan (never battled Wallace 'cause I've only played Emerald), just 'cause I had to do a fair bit of grinding to be properly ready for him. That Whiscash had more HP than I thought!

Old August 1st, 2012 (12:17 PM).
oshawottlover13

the hardest for me was wallace and brawley. wallaces milotic was ice beaming me to death. and brawley was just really hard no matter what pokemon i had
Old August 2nd, 2012 (06:25 AM).
Itcheeee

I';d have to say Brawly. I only had Mudkip, Poochyena and Taillow (I think Taillow was very low leveled) and Wurmples. Was very hard to beat him, had to train everything about 16 levels, and fight him 16 different times. =p
Old August 2nd, 2012 (11:10 AM).
Richard Nixon
Booted out - don't be like me!

Norman's Slaking Family must've beaten me 1000 times
Old August 2nd, 2012 (11:21 AM).
s0nido
turn up the engine
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to s0nido
Norman was hard, but Tate/Lisa were a pain. I don't remember exactly why they were so hard, since it's been a long time since I last played them, but it was probably because I didn't have any Pokémon that were particularly effective against their Solrock/Lunatone combo. I'll have a play through of the games again and see who annoys me now. XD
Old August 3rd, 2012 (04:39 AM). Edited August 3rd, 2012 by Perico.
Perico
Ripper

Nature: Gentle
I've played Sapphire version many times and I have to say both Wattson and Norman were hard to beat. I mean, Wattson's Magneton using Shock Wave was annoying and unless you started with Mudkip (or you had high-leveled Pokémon), it turned out to be irritating. And Norman, I remember his Slaking to be very annoying with the combo Yawn+Facade.
I really miss how difficult they used to be, now you can beat them with your eyes closed.

Allez, hop!
Old August 4th, 2012 (03:16 AM).
Sinnoh_Freak
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
In a recent playthrough of Emerald, I dumped my Torchic at level 12, so Flannery tore through my Breloom, Swellow and weak basic Pokemon. In my most recent runthrough, the only Gym Leader that has defeated me once is Norman.
Old August 4th, 2012 (09:18 AM).
SuperSaiyanII
Cool Story Bro!!

Nature: Calm
Unless I pick Swampert as my starter than Liza & Tate will always tear me apart at least 3 times before I think of an effective strategy or grind enough levels in order to take them down in Emerald.
Old August 5th, 2012 (10:27 PM).
danaxe
I long for kyurem powerz

normans spinda

dat teeter dance

Good trade shops:
I loveevee's
Old August 7th, 2012 (07:34 AM).
Know-Nothing Bozo the Non-Wonder Dog's Avatar
Know-Nothing Bozo the Non-Wonder Dog
Ohonhonhon!~

Definitely Wattson. Ugh, that Magneton. D: As a kid that was always the gym I got stuck on, and I still have a pretty hard time beating it. I never have any Pokemon that can do much damage to Magneton.
Old August 7th, 2012 (08:40 AM).
SneakerTheOtter
Otter Power!

Nature: Mild
They were all kinda difficult. The ones I had the least trouble with was Tate and Liza, probably because I always pick Treecko which meant Xatu was the only problem. But Treecko also gave me hell against Wattson's Magneton, Flannery's Torkoal, Norman's Slaking (Treecko has a piddly defence), Juan's Kingdra (especially after Double Team)...

Most difficult would be Winona - her Pokemon, particularly Skarmory, JUST DON'T DIE
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links