The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:43 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I've recieved some in the past (for example, my most recent one), and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

It appears that the anonimity of post comments encourages members to disrespect other members without being identified as the commenter.

Respectful, constructive criticism of posts that you disagree with or feel are wrong is great, but putting down other members for differences of opinion or for making posts that you feel are otherwise no constructive is not, IMO.
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
If you would like to report a post comment, feel free to PM any higher staff member. Although there's no report button next to the comments, that doesn't mean they aren't under the same rules as the rest of the forum.

As far as anonymity, I personally agree that they should lose their anonymity haha.
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
Are they really insulting, or just in disagreement with you? If they're really that bad (trolling, insulting, etc) then definitely report them, but if they're just in disagreement with you, then I don't think that would warrant it. Though I would trust your judgement in this case as to what's rude and what's not. Unfortunately, people don't always use those for good reasons. But they can get in trouble for it since the admins can see who leaves post comments to who. There's no report button in there (I think), so you'll actually have to PM the admin with a screenshot I suppose.
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Counterfeit

Community Supporter Tier 5

Send a message via Skype™ to Counterfeit
Is this a PSA? Or do you want something to be done about it?

I think you're best off ignoring it; Not much can be done apart from telling people to be respectful to other members, which expected anyway.
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM
hashtag
king cook

Just ignore them. If anyone's too scared to directly disrespect you in a VM or PM you can take a moral high ground over them. :)
The path of the righteous man is beset of all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil me. Blessed is he who, in the name of the charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
^ That, and there really shouldn't be a problem because you can report them and they'll be dealt with accordingly. I don't see what the problem is, this is not something new. If you just report it then everything's fine right because you don't know who it is anyway?
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
She said she received some in the past, and if she ignored them then and still gets them, I'm sure it would get increasingly harder to ignore. Just saying.

Quote:
Just ignore them. If anyone's too scared to directly disrespect you in a VM or PM you can take a moral high ground over them. :)
This is also good, but I completely understand if you're just at your final straw with the anonymous attacks and want something done. Nothing wrong with that imo.
Old June 19th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Mew~
THE HOST IS BROKEN

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mew~
I generally just think Post Comments shouldn't even be anonymous, this isn't the first time someone has complained about abuse over it. They serve a good purpose, and when used correctly it would be nice to reply to whoever has sent you one too.

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
I'll take this time to point out that any admin is able to check any post comments sent to other users. Like other occasions though, don't expect us to deal with comments that you simply disagree with. Appropriate infractions will be issued for anybody who sends demeaning, insulting comments.

The anonymity is for people to constructively criticise or make a small comment on without being identified.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Antebellum
One Word Extinguisher
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Antebellum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
I'll take this time to point out that any admin is able to check any post comments sent to other users. Like other occasions though, don't expect us to deal with comments that you simply disagree with. Appropriate infractions will be issued for anybody who sends demeaning, insulting comments.

The anonymity is for people to constructively criticise or make a small comment on without being identified.
But what's the benefit of that? If you wanted to criticize a post then just reply to it in the thread and if it's a small comment then just leave your name in the comment to let them know who did it. It seems that the cons of the anonymity of the system outweigh the pros in that people are able to make malicious post comments without the person who they sent them to knowing who made them. If you don't have the balls to make a comment to someone's face then you shouldn't be making the comment at all.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpman View Post
But what's the benefit of that? If you wanted to criticize a post then just reply to it in the thread and if it's a small comment then just leave your name in the comment to let them know who did it. It seems that the cons of the anonymity of the system outweigh the pros in that people are able to make malicious post comments without the person who they sent them to knowing who made them. If you don't have the balls to make a comment to someone's face then you shouldn't be making the comment at all.
While I agree that people should sign their post comments and ideally they wouldn't be anonymous, it's not a terrible thing for the member to not know who sent it. If they report it and the comment is removed and the person is dealt with, why would the person knowing who it was change anything? Especially if it's malicious; instead of the person quietly reporting it to get it dealt with, they may end up confronting the person who did it, getting them both infracted for flaming each other.
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpman View Post
If you want to make comments and sign them, that's fine and that option is available to you manually. But some people (myself included) do not like comments to be signed.

Honestly, we RARELY get reports of people abusing the post comments system. When we do, we look into it asap. Half the time, the complaints are about perfectly valid comments that simply offer criticism rather than actual insults. But when people do come with legitimate complaints, we take them seriously--we delete the offending comments and warn/infract the person who left them.

I don't really feel that anonymity is that big of a problem and insulting comments don't happen enough (or aren't reported enough) to really make me want to take it away.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old June 19th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew~ View Post
I generally just think Post Comments shouldn't even be anonymous, this isn't the first time someone has complained about abuse over it. They serve a good purpose, and when used correctly it would be nice to reply to whoever has sent you one too.
/two cents

Post comments aren't used enough to warrant any change to them and it is very rare, from what I have seen, for 'abuse' to be sent to someone.
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Yoshikkko

I can remember a thread like this from a month or two ago. Anyway I think one of the main problems with this is what Lightning said about them not being reported enough. People always make threads about them trying to get them identifiable while you can just report them and be over with it.
Having the poster identified would cause so much more trouble than having them anonymous, first of all it would discourage people to give their honest opinion because we all know that is scary because we are scared of being judged or criticized (so it takes away the purpose completely), and second, when someone /does/ dare to give their opinion there's the possibility of it just creating an argument with the receiver because they couldn't take it well.
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Question: Why do you care so much about what people think about you on the internet?
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zet View Post
Question: Why do you care so much about what people think about you on the internet?
Some people aren't as thick skinned as others. It is understandable for people to get upset if they are receiving hate/abuse from others; only natural for people to get upset.
So it is a valid to bring it up if someone has a problem with it, but going back to my original point, I don't see or hear much abuse at all.
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:19 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I'm not trying to call-out any specific members, but this problem has been on-going for me, and from the looks of some of the replies to this thread, I'm not the only one. I made this thread to draw attention to the problem in general, not just the comments that I've been receiving.

I understand if the staff wants to keep them anonymous, but perhaps adding a report button next to post comments would help. Staff would still be the ones to judge whether the report has merit or not.
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

That's a great idea if it can be implemented. But considering the report system is all made by Audy, he'd have to code it into the report system so it's a matter of his own free time and other tasks :P
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
A report button on post comments would be great - I don't really understand why they didn't come with one in the first place tbh. If it's doable then I certainly think we should add that feature, but if not then taking these issues up in PM with hstaff is a viable alternative that some people already use.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
It certainly should be possible, but some people might abuse it by reporting comments if someone disagrees with them.
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Just as likely as people reporting VMs that they disagree with, or PMs, or posts. If it's not a valid report, it would just get closed.
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:08 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

I think we've iterated the same comment a few times now - report report report. Going to close it before we end up having a bawl over the post comments system's purpose and stuff like that.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links