The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Impo
Vital Spirit
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
High Five!

I don't think I'll ever indulge in alcohol - it's just empty calories

but today I indulged in like 10 of those choc chip cookies AND NOW I FEEL FAT AND LETHARGIC but I went for a run before so maybe that balances

...Let's play a game...
3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
Paired to Naya Rivera & ShiningRaichu
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Choc chip cookies are just as empty as alcohol.
I don't see why some people are so against it; in moderation, like most things, it is fine and yummy! :3
But, it is down to personal taste so...
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Sweet Candace
So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\

Nature: Adamant
I don't want to become an alcoholic, but I'd still drink a beer from time to time. I'd enjoy alcohol in moderation.
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Yoshikkko

Don't they put sugar in for example salads like Toujours said because it is addictive and makes you want to eat more or something?

Also, people are against alcohol because yeah in moderation it won't really get you drunk but it still kills your braincells and it's bad for your liver lol.

Last edited by Yoshikkko; July 16th, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Overlord Drakow
-CONQUERER

Nature: Serious
There are positives to moderate alcohol consumption too however. It can help keep your heart healthy and it's good for balancing the pH levels in your body.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:14 AM
shenanigans
Staff Admin

It's probably awful that I haven't had an alcoholic drink for a while and I reallllly feel like I want one, lol. I'm well aware that I drink way more than I really should although I'm not like way above what I should have.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Algo Fonix
oh god

Anymore, when I have alcohol around it tends to go pretty fast. Great, now I want a beer.
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Yoshikkko

On the long run it does more bad than good though even though small bits can be healthy for you xP
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I know people say that diet soda is bad for you but tbh it's hard for me to believe until I see a real study that was performed the way a study should be performed, which is really near impossible. And then I see things like "how do you gain weight from diet soda? Find out at 11!" and it's always something dumb like "diet soda makes you want to each refined sugars more!". I don't eat refined sugars, so diet soda doesn't make me gain weight.

I think doctors hate diet soda but they don't have any really good studies backing them up so they just think of everything possible to make people not drink it. :/
Diet soda is actually incredibly bad for you in terms of your dental health. It has a lot of phosphoric acid (which is found in pretty much all soft drinks) which can lead to enamel erosion (the stuff that protects your teeth), so drinking excessive amounts can be very unhealthy (though that can be said for a lot of things). It can also mess up the level of calcium in your bones. I know what you mean though. It does annoy me that people make out like if you drink one can you'll die a slow and painful death.

In terms of alcohol, I only drink it when I'm out at the pub or clubbing with friends. I don't get the point in just drinking it casually at home. Especially beer and lager. That stuff is horrible to drink on its own unless you're eating curry or you've already been drinking.
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Lance
Pokémon Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Don't forget Aspartame is also linked to cancer!
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Everything is linked to cancer. :(

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old July 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Yoshikkko

Well, some things more than others.

That reminds me that I find it so annoying when you say something is bad for your health, and every time you get the response that EVERYTHING IS BAD EVERYTHING GIVES YOU CANCER SO MIGHT AS WELL SCREW MYSELF UP ANYWAY ETC, it's not true, some things are worse than others and there are healthy alternatives, but people just don't want to admit that they're living unhealthy and stuff so they get all defensive >->
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Everything is linked to cancer. :(
Trying to find a way to disagree with this... struggling... sun, no... water, no...

...PC?
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

I imagine eventually, LCD screens or wifi signals will be linked to cancer (if they aren't already--I know there was a big fuss somewhat recently in Ontario high schools about whether or not to allow wifi because it could be a health risk). So yeah, PC would be sort of linked to cancer.

Also lots of people visit it on their mobile phones and people have been going on and on about those causing cancer for a decade. (Although I think this one was refuted at some point?)

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old July 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Esper

Aren't wifi signals essentially the same as all the other invisible parts of light like normal radio waves which are already everywhere and already giving you cancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshikkko View Post
Also, people are against alcohol because yeah in moderation it won't really get you drunk but it still kills your braincells and it's bad for your liver lol.
I'm pretty sure I read that the damage alcohol does to your brain heals over time. Good news? Not to your liver.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Algo Fonix
oh god

What gets me is when there are things that are proven to be horrible and cancer causing yet people still do it. Like, I'm the only person in my household that doesn't smoke. My family has a long history of cancer on both sides, so I don't think any of us need any help dying. It really pisses me off.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:13 AM
shenanigans
Staff Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algo Fonix View Post
What gets me is when there are things that are proven to be horrible and cancer causing yet people still do it. Like, I'm the only person in my household that doesn't smoke. My family has a long history of cancer on both sides, so I don't think any of us need any help dying. It really pisses me off.
I guess it's that people tend to start smoking for reasons that they either didn't consider very well or out of stress or peer pressure or something like that. Or just because a lot of people around them do it and they don't really see too much different. And... it's pretty damn addictive. It's not as clean cut, imo, as something you can just choose not to do and stick to that or something that you can stop when you need to. Circumstances can always change and it only takes a very short time of someone thinking differently for them to be addicted for years.

That's how I see it having worked for me anyway. -shrug-

Last edited by shenanigans; July 16th, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Esper

Addiction is a sad thing to watch. It makes me angry to see people I care about smoke, but I try to remember that I have problems and things myself that I should just be able to stop doing, but I just can't.

deviantart blog pair
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I find the whole Wi-Fi Cancer thing to be outrageous. Eventually, everything will eventually be tied to cancer. Heck, someone could say that reading too much will lead to cancer and someone else will try to prove it.

It'll never end.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Algo Fonix
oh god

Yeah... and my brother got started at like 16, I think. I'm not really fit to judge people, but I don't like seeing people I love hurt themselves. :/
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Yoshikkko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Aren't wifi signals essentially the same as all the other invisible parts of light like normal radio waves which are already everywhere and already giving you cancer?

I'm pretty sure I read that the damage alcohol does to your brain heals over time. Good news? Not to your liver.
Could be, but dead braincells stay dead and in turn can't duplicate anymore, so you lose potential ones too.

What pisses ME off is if people care about what other people do with their body/life, if it doesn't affect you then who cares?? My mom is a smoker, and it's freaking annoying because I don't want to inhale the smoke so I want her to quit or to smoke outside, but I don't care if she smokes because that's her own decision and she knows the consequences so whatever floats her boat, as long as I don't have to second-hand smoke.

Also, why do you guys care that "everything is linked to cancer etc"? It's a CHANCE, it's not guaranteed that you ARE going to get cancer IF you do this and so on, it's a small chance that exists. The likelihood of getting cancer from say peanut butter or whatever is like almost nil. You really shouldn't rely on those odds because it's going to restrict you for no reason.
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

Quote:
Could be, but dead braincells stay dead and in turn can't duplicate anymore, so you lose potential ones too.

What pisses ME off is if people care about what other people do with their body/life, if it doesn't affect you then who cares?? My mom is a smoker, and it's freaking annoying because I don't want to inhale the smoke so I want her to quit or to smoke outside, but I don't care if she smokes because that's her own decision and she knows the consequences so whatever floats her boat, as long as I don't have to second-hand smoke.
Just because it doesn't affect me personally doesn't mean that no one else is affected by it. There are few situations where a person does something that affects them only. Not only that, there are times when a person doesn't know the consequences of their actions. Smokers, of course, are the exception, with the strong anti-smoking message that's been going on for quite a while, but there are many people who don't know that they're destroying themselves slowly and steadily.
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Yoshikkko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck View Post

Just because it doesn't affect me personally doesn't mean that no one else is affected by it. There are few situations where a person does something that affects them only. Not only that, there are times when a person doesn't know the consequences of their actions. Smokers, of course, are the exception, with the strong anti-smoking message that's been going on for quite a while, but there are many people who don't know that they're destroying themselves slowly and steadily.
I didn't say that, I said that if it doesn't affect you, then why would you care? I was saying I don't get it why you would stress and fret about something that doesn't affect your own life, not that it didn't affect others..? That was the point lol.
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

Quote:
I didn't say that, I said that if it doesn't affect you, then why would you care? I was saying I don't get it why you would stress and fret about something that doesn't affect your own life, not that it didn't affect others..? That was the point lol.
But that's why people stress over it. Because it generally does affect others. Not caring about something because you aren't personally affected by it is just wrong.
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I imagine eventually, LCD screens or wifi signals will be linked to cancer (if they aren't already--I know there was a big fuss somewhat recently in Ontario high schools about whether or not to allow wifi because it could be a health risk). So yeah, PC would be sort of linked to cancer.

Also lots of people visit it on their mobile phones and people have been going on and on about those causing cancer for a decade. (Although I think this one was refuted at some point?)
I think the WiFi is schools fear here actually started because some parent blamed it for causing her kid to have nosebleeds and nightmares.

Then eventually the teachers claimed a link to cancer.

And Health Canada says no problem. Or at least, no more of a problem that anything else we have going around. All them microwaves and radio waves and whatnots XD

Sponsored Links

Advertise here