The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Forever
let it go

Advertise here
So these games were the first to introduce a female professor (and assistant) team (of pretty much Bianca and Juniper). How did you like the change from the usual male professor and assistant? Do you think they were believable at those roles? Would've you preferred a male? Or maybe changed Juniper's design or personality? Share yo thoughts.
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:32 PM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
I'm so use to Professors coming and going, the difference in gender didn't affect me in the least. In terms of personality, she certainly didn't bother me and was very helpful and is one of the few characters in Black and Black 2 that I actually liked.

I didn't realize how revolutionary this change was until you mentioned it, Forever.

After four generations of Professors, they've become a small and insignificant role in my book. I meet them, take their Pokémon and check in with them occasionally for a PokéDex check-up and some story elements.

In conclusion, Juniper was just another professor to me. But I certainly didn't mind her.
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Cassino
Meduka Meguca

It didn't make a difference within the game itself. However, I noticed she is far more doting than previous main series professors. Although this has been a gradual trend, finally making the 'tutorial girl' an actual girl ultimately plays into a feminine stereotype undeserving of the sort of positive reception that an "omg first female X" remark implies. Given that, a female professor represents a regression of standards, if anything. I acknowledge that this is rather an over-analysis of the matter.

Last edited by Cassino; April 24th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I honestly never thought too much into this, but I guess it is a nice change after having four straight male professors. Her role does seem a little diluted though, seeing as how Cedric Juniper (her dad) shows up almost as frequently throughout the games to check in with the player.

Much like Timothy though, I didn't pay much mind to any of the past professors, and Professor Juniper was no different. Still, I liked her character, and I wouldn't be surprised if she makes an appearance in future games (much like Professor Oak has).
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I actually liked this change, I did get a bit bored of having male professors for four straight generations and adding a female to the mix was something well needed because 5th Generation was a very revolutionary generation to Pokemon imo. Also, I liked the fact her father Cedric works as a professor too.

I did like Juniper's personality, she was something I wanted to see in a good Pokemon Professor. And the fact she studies the origins of Pokemon was what made Unova even more interesting and the games fun to play.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

Old April 25th, 2013, 07:04 AM
TheTwilitTrainer

Nature: Quiet
Personally I agree with Cassino to point. It seems kinda sexist to make a big deal about "First Female (Insert job title here)" or "First Male (Insert job title)".

Warning: Personal opinions about future professors to follow.

That said, I'm kind of hoping for a more flamboyant professor by the name of "Willow". I think from an aesthetics standpoint it would make sense to have it be a woman at this point, though it would be interesting to see how they could make it work with a man.

My safari is Swalot, Gloom, Drapion
FC: 1220-6775-9793
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Mochi
Formerly AzaleaLightning

Nature: Sassy
To me, Professor Juniper was a little flat. We all know Oak well enough, Elm was sort of the ditzy young professor, Birch was a little too curious for his own good, and Rowan intimidated the hell out of everyone. Juniper was sort of just... there.

It was nice that her dad made an appearance and had a part in the story, but really, they should have added more to Juniper than what we got, especially with her being the first female professor.
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:46 AM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
While it was an interesting change to the norm, I really think that Professor Juniper was just female for the sake of it- which seems a bit brash, but I'll go on. Generally, I can't remember all that much of her character- and I don't mean in the sense that I don't remember enough to analyse things, I mean that there wasn't too much to go on regarding what kind of a character she was. She met the player at various points throughout both games, and was generally helpful (giving the Lucky Egg in BW, and telling an awesome story about Kyurem in BW2), but more or less, nothing in particular stood out about her.

At the very least she can be distinguished from the other professors because she's a.. she, though. The inclusion of her father as a character was also nice- although now I think of it, it's not uncommon for Pokémon games to introduce family members of professors. (With that said.. what was the story with Rowan? Huh!)

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:06 PM
lmcde22

i dont really mind... but it's weird that she's named after a bush not a tree......
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Magnetic
Underground Trainer

Nature: Mild
Equality is the name of the game man! Doesn't matter to me who it is, as long as they're giving me stuff! haha
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Female professor isn't out of the ordinary. After all, the DW has one!

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 30th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I thought it was an nice change to have a female professor in fifth gen.
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:24 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
I was really glad to see a female professor. It was a nice change and kind of broke the stereotype that only men can be scholars. I also liked how Bianca became her assistant. Girl power! ^.^
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
UltraPyrus
Wizu Wizu!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to UltraPyrus
I liked the female professor a lot. She was cool. :glasses:
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:22 PM
Azure Rathalδs
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
She was just a generic Oak clone who just happened to be female. At least with the other scientists they were at least unique, but this one was just boring.
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Mochaccino
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzaleaLightning View Post
To me, Professor Juniper was a little flat. We all know Oak well enough, Elm was sort of the ditzy young professor, Birch was a little too curious for his own good, and Rowan intimidated the hell out of everyone. Juniper was sort of just... there.
^ THIS.
I honestly didn't feel her there at all! her role in the game is very minimum. in the previous games the professor would usually give you some important stuff so you can progress in the game (an HM or some crucial key item for example) but Juniper doesn't offer anything of that sort! she doesn't even update your pokedex, her dad does lol! in addition she doesn't show up after you beat the champion unlike the previous professors....

I like to believe that they noticed this and therefore she's the one to give you that item that increases the appearance of shiny pokemon, but still; very very minor role..

Sponsored Links

Advertise here