The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Lugia_Da_Boss
Togepi

Advertise here
On my second playthrough of White(about a year after my first), I've gotten to Castella city. I had forgotten how ugly this city was. It's so pixelated, foggy and the camera unnecessarily zooms out massively. Not only that but most of the city is made up of placeholder buildings to make the city seem bigger. Sure, it's good that it seems like a real city but it's really annoying how hard it is to find the important buildings that you can actually enter. And finally, there's so many different little areas in the city when in pretty much every other city, there is only one area for the exterior. It's really annoying walking into blue fog and waiting a few seconds for the next area to load. So, does anyone else hate Castella city, or is it just me?
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Mango Dolphin
The Trainer that's a Pony

Nature: Quirky
I don't hate it, but I kinda like it. But what really ticks me off is that it is really hard to find the building your looking for. I want to rename the Pokemon I have, but I cannot find him ever again due to this.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
It's a huge city thats how it is,ugly. It was also the first time they ever did something like that,so it will probably be fixed in White 2/Black 2. The only reason it zooms out is because the makers wanted to show you how massive the building were.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Forever
let it go

Ooh good, something potentially discussion worthy though we don't necessarily need threads on every city in B/W in case anybody has that planned! n_n

I'm quite the opposite, really. I love Castelia City. I wish the zoom outs would be further, actually. :( I like seeing what's in the distance, and I was kind of disappointed we originally couldn't go further in Castelia City because I'd have liked to see the strange angles from the docks and stuff. I was also kinda annoyed that we couldn't access every single building but there was a lot more than normal that we could actually access so it turned out pretty fine. I dunno, I'm fine with the waiting times, too.

lmao I have that issue too at finding things, Mango. I remember when I first played the games it was like idk, MANY months later that I even discovered more buildings in Castelia (the Zorua one I'm p sure was undiscovered by me for a while :x)

I hope lots of people jump in and contribute thoughts!! Just sayinggg. :3
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
I find it annoying to traverse through. I don't hate it, but it's just...a bit annoying. I like what they were going for, but it's just so grey there! lol I may not live in the city irl, but I thought they were covered in lights and weren't that grey. It's a hassle getting into some buildings too, especially the ones on the sides like where the name rater is. Overall, I like what they were going for, but in some aspects, I think it fell a little flat. But I think it's generally well liked among fans so, eh. It's outshined by Nimbasa City!

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I really disliked the city. It had a cool idea but... I couldn't find anything, it was hard to go through because of the many areas that didn't really have anything in them. I don't really like the camera zooms myself imo.

Yeah, Sydian, I live in a city and they're not really that grey :c they could have put a lot of color in it but I guess they didn't.
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Mystical Mermaid
Resident Mermaid

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mystical Mermaid
As a native of the Tri-State area, I have to say Nintendo nailed it when designing Castella City. Unless you grew up in Manhattan (and I didn't), the skyscrapers are drab, every street looks the same and it's impossible to find where you want to go. However, I really don't have much issue with it otherwise. The zoomed out camera and multiple areas really give it a "big city" feel that the other towns don't have, much like how Manhattan's buildings tower over the other boroughs. While this may hurt the gameplay value, I think it really works for atmosphere.
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Plasmette
Master of Mediocrity.

The minute I saw Castelia City in the first B/W trailer, I crapped my pants. But now, I just find it difficult to find places you need to go. I like that they tried to do something different, but it just wasn't executed as well as it could have.

Also this is a small nitpick, but wouldn't the dancer trio be a perfect opportunity to have a triple battle? Seriously.

I've never liked the city. It smells like smoke, crime everywhere, construction ALL THE TIME, it doesn't look nice (Its grey and miserable), its a pain to get around, its crowded, and its hard to live in. Trust me...
Old June 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Starsprite
This is how we live!

Send a message via Skype™ to Starsprite
When I first saw the city I thought it was going to be absolutely amazing. Of course, it was not absolutely amazing, but I don't think I hated it either. It was something of a pain to navigate through, though, and the camera made me run in to a lot of things.

Despite that, I think that, with some improvements, I'd like to see a city like it, or some unique kind of city, in the future. I think a lot of good ideas were put in to Castelia City that could have been better tied together.
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Halcyon
peace and serenity

Castelia City has amazing potential. I do like the passersby feature; it creates a nice city-like atmosphere. However, like the others, I had an unfortunately painful time getting lost (especially the name rater, oh my, he's hard to find). I think the designers should come up with a map directory.

Old June 30th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

All I hated about it was how difficult it was to find your way around. I got used to it eventually, though. The fogginess is probably because the air is so polluted (like a typical big city). And I thought the people running by was an interesting little look at how we're all together, but at the same time we're all off in our own little worlds.

But honestly, Castelia offered me one of the most memorable scenes in any of the Pokemon games: receiving Flash in the small alley from a guy who jumps out at you from behind a Dumpster.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:15 AM
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
I actually really like the idea of it. Perhaps it wasn't perfectly executed, but I still like it. It's unique, potential to be improved on, and... yeah. The "big cities" in the games are always my favourites, and Castelia City is no exception.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:04 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
I really like Castelia, but I do wish there was more stuff to do once you've finally arrived there. As the OP says, a lot of the buildings are just empty space and pixels, and I really do feel like a lot more stuff could have been done with it. In that sense, while I really do like Castelia, it was kinda of a disappointment, as I was expecting so much that it couldn't possibly deliver. But other stuff like wandering around and the zooms were things that I was a really big fan of, and hope to see in future games. To me, they seemed like great innovations and a good usage of the DS' capabilities.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
Zephele
✧ leave it to me!

Visually, I thought Castelia was pretty good. I thought it presented the idea of being a really big city, bustling with people very well. Zooming in and out of the tall buildings was a cool way to show the sheer scale of everything, and having all the busy people running through the streets was a nice little touch. And it made for a fun 'mini-game' for me to try and run into everyone, hehe.

I do agree with those that pointed out how difficult it was to find your way around at first, though.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I kinda love the views of Castelia City. It's beautiful, in a way. But my only problem with it is that it changes camera angle based on where you are (down to one line). So if you cross that line really fast again and again (and trust me that has happened so many times) it gets you somewhat dizzy.

Annnnnnnd also it's kinda hard to find your way around because of the side-entrances (a game with a perspective like Pokémon should never have side doors) so it's 1) hard to find doors and 2) hard to find doors that actually lead somewhere.

Also the same goes for Skyarrow Bridge.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
I loved it. I'm a city slicker.:)
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:10 PM
Cocoa
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Docile
I love it- I've been living in Tokyo for the past year, and I think it's pretty accurate... When you get in to the central business region of Tokyo, especially Shinjuku, it gets pretty ugly and confusing in real life too.
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:21 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
It's not really my favorite city, I perfer Nimbasa to it but I wouldn't say I hate it. I just think they ruined the chance to make an awesome city, but rather it was mostly just...there. There was really little reason to go there anymore despite being "the Capitol" of the region... Though it seems they fixed that ' no reason to go there' in the sequels :3
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Bolin
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Hasty
I thought I was the only one..

I hate that city with a passion, mainly because it's so big, but doesn't have enough to offer for me although I do love my Zorua.
If I do go there, it's to try and cut off the people running up and down that street for as long as possible.
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:39 PM
~Mugetsu~
Beginning Trainer

When i first saw Castelia City i thought it was gonna be one of my favourites for sure and i would visit there often, now its just ugly, boring and hard as hell to find certain buildings -.-
Old July 5th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Asuf
Dragon Tamer

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Asuf
At first I disliked trying to find my way around, however I just got used to it, it seems overwhelming at first but then you appreciate it (I did anyway).

Old July 5th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
Hey, it's one of my favourite city
I'm surprised that so many of you don't like it at all. Ok, I admit that the difficulty to find in which buildings we can enter or not is very annoying. But it's actually the city I enjoyed the most to go all over it, precisely to discover each little place, each little road, and so on.
Its design is just awesome. Really, a delight for the eyes. Just for this reason, I don't mind if I don't in which building I can go, just running across the city is enough for me, just to contemplate the place.
Of course, it has negative points but... For once we have a so beautiful town, I won't complain about them, they don't disturb me at all.

Old July 5th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Shootingace
Lord

Nature: Calm
Actually i think Castelia is pretty cool even though it's hard to find stuff. Nintendo did a great job posing it after Manhattan

Hacks i strongly recommend:
Old July 5th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Uchiha
Switchin' It Up

Nature: Adamant
I wouldn't say I hate it but it does get annoying to navigate through sometimes but other than that I say it's a pretty cool city.

Old July 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Aquarius1997
The Horoscopical Master

When i first play through pokemon white i hated how castelia city turned out, but oh no not because its ugly but because of navigation i bumped into so many things i deserved one of b2/w2s medals
But my second playthrough i fell in love with castelia and i completly forgot about navigating the layout is very simple to memorize. I was so good at memorizing the city that i now know it like the back of my hand

The Aquarius loves a party. Anytime, anywhere is their motto. It is not unlikely that an Aquarius will consider a wake a good place to meet chicks. Aquarians love to be naked. It is even better if they are naked and crocked. Froot Loops is a very Aquarian cereal. So is Rice Krispies, since it will engage in a friendly chat with the Aquarian as he or she is eating breakfast. Count Chocula is off-limits, however. It belongs to the Scorpios. Aquarians use the phrase "Dude, man..." frequently when describing philosophical concepts. Aquarians have out-of-body experiences on a daily basis. If you are talking to an Aquarian and he or she zones out, consider the conversation hopeless. He or she is talking to the guy three feet away from you. Aquarians are fun because they channel people. Plus, if you tell them to, they will run around naked. Aquarians like astronomy because they've been to all those places. If you want to know what the food is like on Saturn, ask an Aquarius. Aquarians can allow themselves every possible vice on the planet, and don't think twice about it. That is why they piss everyone else off. They are cosmically entitled to do this.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here