Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center
Reload this Page Does your age reflect your battle style

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ARCHIVED: Battle Center This forum is designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! The main forum is meant for discussions, battle requests, battle logs, and other threads related to battling. Look to the sub-forums for events and team help.

Old June 29th, 2012 (11:55 AM). Edited June 29th, 2012 by smurf.
Veteran Trainer

Hey guys i was just wondering if that your age reflects your battle style here on pokemoncomnunity we have a very wide range of ages of pokemon lovers im 19 an grew up with the 1st generation of pokemon so ive always loved it most people my age or atleast me and my freinds are the kinda battlers where we are all about pure power yes some starategy is involved but its mostly about power when i battle i use strong moves not boosters. With most kids these days you use alot of thought into battleing i was just wondering if any of you have an opinion on this. Mods if there is a fourm like this or it needs to be moved plz do so

101 veiws an no one has an opinion come on guys
Old June 29th, 2012 (02:22 PM).
Come and get me

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to infersaime
I don't think is by age but more of playstyle or gen you grew up with. I got the same playstyle as you using strong moves that do a lot of damage and I'm 15 and grew up with gen III/IV.
Old June 29th, 2012 (06:53 PM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

Yeah I think it's a personal choice/what you were influenced by. I'm p sure I'd battle with the same types of teams now as I would 5 years ago (despite never battling then but let's assume I could battle then okay!) I don't think your battling style changes as you get older, but rather the metagames change as you grow up, which could create that illusion.

Also unfortunately not everyone has something to add to a topic Smurf, so that'll explain the views.
Old June 29th, 2012 (09:01 PM).
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
My way of battling is use the best move types and hit as hard as i can. A few pokemon have things like Swords Dance and what not. It might be generational. Gen one and two you can use one pokemon and win now 3 and on you really cant.
Old June 29th, 2012 (09:10 PM).
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I don't really think so tbh. I mean, I do battle differently (competitively) than I did just a little while ago, but I don't think it's because of my age, but because now I kind of know what I'm doing, and back then I didn't lol.

Uhh I guess since we're talking about battling I think I'm different in game, when I was younger I would just use my starter but now I actually use my team, lol. So i guess, maybe.
Old June 30th, 2012 (09:11 AM).

I'm 12 and I also go for the attacks that do the most damage to the specific Pokémon I'm battling. I never use moves that don't do damage. I leave my healing to potions. I also sacrifice weak Pokémon to use revive on my strong Pokémon when they faint.
Old July 1st, 2012 (05:48 AM).
Dream Evil.
Gold Tier

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by Lilmackie44:
i iz teh 16io n teh battul styler duz nut affectario teh agerooni cuz uh i stillio eazy mash errebody nao mattorio wutter cuz uh ima monstra n i eazy mash u 6ko no problemario TGOD!!
Makic pls

Everythun grammur wnet bettur thn expct

Regards Dolan

Anyway, your age prolly does reflect your battling style as you become more seasoned the longer you play, thats a given.
Since the beginning of time, man has sought to know the unimaginable. To shake hands with the intangible. To measure the abstract with concrete gauges, to fit the mind of the infinite within the imagination of the finite. Nevermore.

Old July 1st, 2012 (10:12 AM).
rock star - poser
Gold Tier

Nature: Adamant

Anyways yea my age shapes my battle style, since im an old inveterate sage I use very wise psychic type pkmns like Alakazam, Dusclops and Skarmory. When I was younger I was more reckless but its different now since i have acheieved zen.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old July 10th, 2012 (10:01 PM).
Champion in the making

Nature: Timid
I don't think it does because I am 14 and I grew up with ruby since I had it since I was 6 and well ur strageties is up to how u play because 4 me since I only used to play with npc I never had a strageties just pure power and types I didn't know about nature nor evs
My friend code is 2538 3271 6401
Old July 10th, 2012 (10:10 PM).
Never go full retard

I don't use boosters when I'm battling. I just train until im satisfied with that Pokemon.

Old July 11th, 2012 (12:51 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
I guess so. Now that I'm older I use stalling strategies and don't want to win everything by sheer force so I guess age does affect my battle style =)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old July 11th, 2012 (08:34 AM).

Quote originally posted by Lugia_Da_Boss:
I'm 12 and I also go for the attacks that do the most damage to the specific Pokémon I'm battling. I never use moves that don't do damage. I leave my healing to potions. I also sacrifice weak Pokémon to use revive on my strong Pokémon when they faint.
^ This is basically how i play xD, but lately i have been mixing it up
Old July 13th, 2012 (07:35 AM).

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via ICQ to pokemontrainer_samuel Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to pokemontrainer_samuel Send a message via Yahoo to pokemontrainer_samuel
I think the OP didn't mean age as in what age you are now. I think he actually means which era were you from. Basically it means like if you were from the GB & GBC pokemon era you'd play like Hyper Beam is king. But I doubt there is much difference in battling styles if you compare them by era. I think it's more of gaming maturity. When I started out, it was all pure power and attacks like Hyper Beam, Horn Drill, Hydro Pump, Fire Blast was everything. Then when pokemon gold came out I started using skills like screech and sword dance. Then when the gen III games were introduced, I started using combos like rain dance and thunder, sunny day and solar beam and combinations like that because there were double battles, and I also tried to get my pokemon to learn moves that can maximize the use of their abilities. Now there's rotation battles in BW, a different strategy is required. Even though I changed my style to suit these new battling systems, but I believe it's due to experience in playing pokemon, and not because of the era I grew up in.

But I still have pokemon who are built on pure attacking power just for the fun of it, and plus, it's easier :)
Old July 14th, 2012 (12:09 PM).

Nature: Calm
Maybe so. I'm eighteen and never really got into Pokemon until Gen IV and my strategy is based off balance and slowly whittling the opponent down until victory is mine.
Old July 17th, 2012 (02:13 AM).

Maybe age does make a different like if a 25 year old battler battles a 8 year old kid in a Pokemon match the 25 year old guy could win because there is more of a chance of him knowing or playing Pokemon longer than the 8 year old kid and some say the old you are, the wiser you become; but then again that 8 year old could be super smart and is in high school already.I can't remember the whole story but some kids around 12 are in college but very very few amount are in college.That 12 or what ever year old kid in college is smart but doesn't mean he would have a higher chance of winning in a Pokemon battle lol.I do not believe that your age could reflect on your battle style. x)
Old July 18th, 2012 (08:26 PM).
Veteran Trainer

I grew up with Gen II and also started out as a purely offensive trainer when I was younger.
I don't really think my tactics have changed because of my age, more so because I got more experienced and wanted to try out new movesets.
Nowadays I like stalling, partly because you are annoying your opponent to death (especially if they are less skilled) and partly because you are in full control of the match as if you were playing a game of chess.
All in all, I believe it has to do with the effort you are willing to put in so that you will understand the game better.
Old July 23rd, 2012 (03:40 AM).

i personally only use pokemon i think look cool regardless of these silly tiers you'd never catch me using a salamance or garchomp over the OG dragonite! a legendary is a no-no for me you'll never catch me with a legend in my party, i think it stems from back in the day when me n my friends had a strict no legendary policy in our battles now these tiers n stuff have legends in with regs i dont feel that all that... as for how i use em, i just train my fav poke from each type in what their base stats set them up for and run with it, if its a staller by how its made then i make it a staller if its a OHKOr that thats what i make it. Just focus on making the coolest pokes (imo) the best they can be.

i'm 23.
Old August 3rd, 2012 (06:50 PM).
Guru

Send a message via AIM to BlaqJester
Quote originally posted by Vivi on Diamond:
i personally only use pokemon i think look cool regardless of these silly tiers you'd never catch me using a salamance or garchomp over the OG dragonite! a legendary is a no-no for me you'll never catch me with a legend in my party, i think it stems from back in the day when me n my friends had a strict no legendary policy in our battles now these tiers n stuff have legends in with regs i dont feel that all that... as for how i use em, i just train my fav poke from each type in what their base stats set them up for and run with it, if its a staller by how its made then i make it a staller if its a OHKOr that thats what i make it. Just focus on making the coolest pokes (imo) the best they can be.

i'm 23.
Ive been here since the primary colors.We all had that battle style Hyper Beam everything but youll learn through experience Screw tiers they really mess the fun up in the game I agree just use Pokemon you like

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android
Old August 3rd, 2012 (07:08 PM).

Nature: Jolly
Yeah, I agree that Tiers kinda sap the fun out of it.
I started with Sapphire, at the age of 15 and at first I had no idea what I was doing (LOL). I started fighting real people and learned little by little, how to build synergy and a strategy for my team. Now, I usually try to have a balanced team and I try to incorporate my favorite pokes in it. You'll never see me using Conkledurr coz' I just can't get over his face... :D
Age IS related to experience so age does matter, IMO
I'm 24, BTW

Heart Gold FC: 1850 8090 9305 Trainer: Manji
White FC: 1249 7820 8373
3DS FC: 3539 9060 2109

Kanto - Johto - Hoenn - Sinnoh - Unova
Old August 7th, 2012 (04:49 AM).

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
I am very much plow my way through in-game with the strongest moves I can find. It's not until post-game I start using stat changing moves and things like that. I still find myself losing to my friends who don't really pay much attention to strategic moves (They have type advantage because they know I'll crush them otherwise).
Old August 12th, 2012 (03:46 AM).
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
Not really age. I think its about the knowledge about the Pokemon that affects your strategy. Before I knew about stats, natures and effort values, I used to keep using high base power attacks regardless if they are Physical or Special, Basically just Sheer Power. Also, I used to train pokemon just to level up and learn new moves, but after learning about effort values, I began to be careful of how I train my pokemon with Effort Values.

Anyway, my battle style depends on the stats and movepool of the Pokemon I use, If they have a naturally high Defense, I give it a defensive tactic and add an offensive tactic if they could learn stat increasing moves that increase offense. If they have a high speed stat, a strong attack stat and could learn the Endure-Reversal/Flail combo, I will train it with these factors.
Old August 12th, 2012 (04:11 AM).
Green Okido

Nature: Timid
I don't think its age(its partly age XD) but rather how long you've been playing. I started when I was about four and up until this year i had no intention of EV training or breeding. If and when i went online i waould get crushed because i didn't think my teams out before hand. Now im going to start EV training, caring about natures and breeding, My sister who just started playing is only worried about using legendary pokemon and moves that do more than 100 damage (Her reaction when i wiped out her team of legendaries with a shuckle blissey and braviary XD). So basically its age and how long you've been training
Old August 13th, 2012 (09:54 AM).

Nature: Serious
It's not really age that affects your battling style. I know an eleven year old who strategizes everything he does down to the last Hit Point, and I know another kid that age who's all about heavy hitting. I do fight a little differently because, though I do favor hard-hitting moves, I also use stat changers (e.g. Leer, Swords Dance, Poisoning, etc.). It's a highly offensive strategy. SO I'm a little different.
Old August 13th, 2012 (10:21 AM).
Bang

Nature: Quiet
Not for me, I battled like a brute when I was younger and I battle like a brute now, I like to toy with my opponents sometimes though to make things interesting but sooner or later I just lose patience and go all out offense wise in the blink of an eye lol. Old habits die hard I guess.
Old August 20th, 2012 (09:30 AM).
Double battles veteran

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Yahoo to Tsukimaru
the playstyle is one of a kind in everyone. i mean, everyone has stages like when i taught ice punch to almost every pokemon i had to kill dragon pokemon LOL.

imo, it deppends on how complex the player`s mind is. if you just know the power up or the bulky defense you are certainly going to lose to someone that has a versatile imagination.

i consider myself someone creative

/showthread.php?t=188702

Diamond FC:1719-2198-5393.
Platinum FC:3395-0270-3626
HeartGold FC: 4297-5796-7530

Check out my battles and comment please xP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9P1Zd4exY4

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links