Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page Do you consider using the speed button cheating?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old June 2nd, 2012 (07:58 PM).
I Drink Nozz-A-La

I'm not sure if this exists on other emulators, but it does on the VBA. For those who don't know, when you hit the space button it speeds up the game significantly. Mine goes over 9000% (literally), which is really speedy.

Where I can see it being used for cheating is leveling up. I'll admit I've done this a few times, but not everyone may consider it cheating. Basically you just hold the speed button down while running back and forth in a patch of grass and battling. At 9999% once your Pokemon can easily take down the enemies in the area, leveling up is not that time consuming.

What do you guys think?
Old June 6th, 2012 (06:03 AM).
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
cheating
Verb:
Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".
Deceive or trick.

Going by that definition, I think it's safe to say that using that is not cheating, as you're not really gaining an advantage - you're doing the exact same thing, just quicker. That's my opinion, anyway.
Old June 6th, 2012 (03:15 PM).

Nature: Quirky
I agree with the poster above. I've always used the speed button because I'm an impatient person and the normal speed just seems tremendously slow to me. I'm not battling competitively or competing with anyone, so the speed isn't giving me any sort of edge aside from simply saving me time and making the games more enjoyable.
Old June 6th, 2012 (03:57 PM).
OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!

Nature: Quirky
The only situation I consider it cheating is if the person was in some sort of timed contest, otherwise, I don't see the problem with speeding up your gameplay a little bit. It's almost like someone taking their time and enjoying a new game, and someone who rushes through as fast as they can to beat it, is the rusher cheating? Not really, but he's missing part of a wonderful experience.

Old June 7th, 2012 (07:14 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
I have never actually considered playing on emulator comparable to playing on actual console, so imo speeding is not cheating since you should care about cheating only if you are playing on console.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old June 8th, 2012 (09:39 AM).
» inactive

Nature: Quiet
Actually, it won't affect the gameplay in any way - you just save time. I often find myself using it while grinding for items / levels or whatever.
Old June 8th, 2012 (10:21 AM).
Missingno. hunter

Nature: Naughty
I do it sometimes when I want to make grinding on wild pokemon more bearable or if I want a long battle to be over very quickly.

Credit goes to Team Brushfire for the awesome banner!
Old June 12th, 2012 (03:17 PM).
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
That is not cheating. I use it all the time. If I didn't my Pokemon would take forever to level up. Like I am NOT spending hours upon hours just to level 1 Pokemon up 1 level.

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
Get a Free PS3, this is no joke: http://www.YourPS34free.com/index.php?ref=5580831
Old June 26th, 2012 (01:56 PM).

I don't bother with the speed button anymore. I just set the throttle to whatever speed suits me. I found that holding the speed button as long as I did (most of the game) ended up cramping my finger, so I went with the next best option.
Old June 26th, 2012 (02:20 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
Haha, why would you think it is? It's just a way to speed up parts of gameplay, like wild Pokemon battles. Anyways, that's my opinion.
Old June 30th, 2012 (05:41 AM).

I tend to use the speed up button alot, like i never stop holding it, but I wouldn't consider it cheating. Like everyone has stated above it only speeds up the process of tedious things like grinding against wild Pokemon.
Old June 30th, 2012 (11:23 PM).
Veteran ROM Hacker

Not at all, however one can become used to just playing at this speed and relax into quicky getting-things-done like it's a job and thereby missing the out on the important story content of the game.
Old July 3rd, 2012 (12:33 PM).
Say my name, silverflame, take control
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
I don't consider it cheating, though it changes the gameplay experience quite a lot. The hours of grinding can be reduced to minutes with the speed button, and it just doesn't feel the same. Though then again, it is just reducing the time the various lengthy things in the games take, like grinding, backtracking while looking for something, returning back to a Pokémon Center or something like that from a long distance, and getting through Mt. Moon. All the stuff that we feel just takes too long.

Old July 5th, 2012 (09:41 PM).
I am JOHN, heck yeah!

Nature: Modest
NOPE.

You see, I got used to the speed button in the past 3-4 years, and I use it a lot.
Old July 22nd, 2012 (06:10 PM).
Swadloon Trainer
Silver Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
Since its on an emulator, it really isnt cheating. The only reason I worry about cheating is because it is unfair in player vs. player contests. Since it's either impossible or impratical to battle on vba, i dont thibk it's cheating.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old July 24th, 2012 (10:14 PM).

I mostly only use the speed button to grind up levels.

Old July 30th, 2012 (02:28 PM).

It's just like running in real life instead of walking!
Old July 31st, 2012 (11:30 PM).
Grand Duke of Hell

Send a message via Skype™ to Chaxmonster
The speed button is not cheating, at all.
It's there for the purpose of speeding up parts of the game, that would actually take much longer to go through on a console.
Such as, grinding, lots of boring text, long traveling, etc.
You're basically doing the same thing, but quicker so you don't have to waste time.
Old August 11th, 2012 (11:43 AM).

Nature: Calm
The speed button is pretty much the only reason i play pokemon on the computer now. Well, not the only reason, but it's sure helpful. An hour of level grinding takes like 10 minutes. Not cheating.
Old August 11th, 2012 (04:16 PM).
Lilligant's Caretaker

Nature: Careful
I always wondered about this myself, but it felt like I WAS cheating for some reason. it always felt "cheesy" and made me wonder why I was playing the game at all. I like it and don't like it, it's a strange double edged feeling for me. >.<

Old August 13th, 2012 (01:13 PM).
¬‿¬
Silver Tier

Nature: Hardy
Quote originally posted by Spherical Ice:
cheating
Verb:
Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".
Deceive or trick.

Going by that definition, I think it's safe to say that using that is not cheating, as you're not really gaining an advantage - you're doing the exact same thing, just quicker. That's my opinion, anyway.
If I were to edit my save file to give myself many Rare Candies, would you consider that cheating?
Old August 22nd, 2012 (11:44 AM).
Pokemon Master

Quote originally posted by Pingouin7:
If I were to edit my save file to give myself many Rare Candies, would you consider that cheating?
Yes I would as then you would only be cheating the game and yourself.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (02:24 AM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
It's not cheating. If you're old enough, you might remember that, in the Pokémon Stadium games, Nintendo themselves added a speed up button in the GB Tower (which allowed you to play the GB Pokémon on a TV). Granted, it was only available once you beat certain parts of the game, but it was there.

When I learned of emulators and the speed up button, I was really happy. Grinding and finding rare items was much easier. I used it all the time on VBA.

Nowadays I use it for everything except important trainer battles, like the rival or Gym Leaders, for immersion purposes.

Then again, I also use PokéGen to evolve Pokémon that only evolve by trading. Do you think this is cheating?

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old August 23rd, 2012 (08:17 AM).

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by Cerberus87:
Then again, I also use PokéGen to evolve Pokémon that only evolve by trading. Do you think this is cheating? :)
I do that as well. It's tedious to trade using emulators. I don't consider it cheating quite frankly.

I don't use the speed button, but I do turn off the sound which speeds the game significantly. It's the same concept, but I only do it because it's too slow on normal settings. I don't have the patience. I also don't consider this as cheating. The only thing that might remotely come off as cheating is when you need to quickly level up your Pokemon by putting it in the daycare center. I did that once. You just run around for a few minutes and the Pokemon is instantly level up by 4 or 5. This is for VBA for the record.
Old August 25th, 2012 (01:53 AM).
Pikachu
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I don't think it's cheating. It takes way too much time to grind against wild Pokemons at normal speed.

Sponsored Links