Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games
Reload this Page For only $14.99 you too can have 3 maps!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old 1 Week Ago (02:52 AM).
There is a road which leads to a paradise~
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Downloadable Content (aka DLC) is becoming (if it not already is) a regular thing along with a video game. More often it contains new maps, new characters or a new story.

More often the not the DLC is quite expensive and games these days also toss out Season Passes to give you this DLC for a lower price in a bundle.

What's your opinion on DLC? Do you think DLC's should already be in the base game?

Destiny gear | Twitter | Video Games | #TheHunt (Destiny Edition): 13/22
Old 1 Week Ago (03:01 AM).
Going Retro

Nature: Docile
I really dislike DLC content it just making the developers swim in money by adding some extra themes, side-stories and contents. While I was playing worms revolution I saw some spiffy content, but it cost money and why developers makes this things cuz we're suckers at it.
Old 1 Week Ago (03:44 AM).
the price of freedom
Crystal Tier

If a DLC adds a substantial enough amount of content and isn't unreasonably priced, I don't mind shelling out more money for it. I can understand why some people might say DLC content should be included in the base games already in some cases, but personally I like having something new to look forward to in games that I really liked. I was incredibly excited for Skyrim's Dragonborn and Dawnguard DLCs, for example, and while I didn't really care for the multiplayer map packs and content for The Last of Us, I thought Left Behind was great because it added a new perspective and insight into the story and characters of the base game.

Sims Expansion Packs are evil though. They cost as much as a new game and often do include content that should already be in the base.
Old 1 Week Ago (03:44 AM).
クノエシティ
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
I'm indifferent with DLC... I mean, it's cool you add features to it, but you have to pay for them? I mean, I can see it be done if it was a standalone DLC, aka you dont need the base game to run it, but I think DLC is more like game patches... it should be free...

paired to aradia megido
queen of shipping

fcg | detroit | homestuck fc | leijon's wall
Old 1 Week Ago (05:24 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
I hate DLCs... they usually contain trophies so I have no other choice but to throw cash to get the 100% trophy collection.
They usually are for half the price of the original game, or more paradoxically, even more expensive when the game goes on sale... On the other hand, DLC sales are sparse as they can be.
That's why I tend to avoid games with trophy DLCs.

Obviously, if they are free, that's something else xD

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old 1 Week Ago (05:56 AM).
Spectre Agent
Crystal Tier

Nature: Serious
When it comes to DLC, I actually like it. Several of the games I own I have bought the DLC for. For example, of all the DLC for the Mass Effect series except for Genesis and Genesis 2. The reason being I own all three games, I don't need the two Genesis DLCs. Plus the DLC for the Mass Effect series come in both free and paid.

OSO STRONG
Old 1 Week Ago (06:59 AM).
Grant me the power of revolution!
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Juno:
If a DLC adds a substantial enough amount of content and isn't unreasonably priced, I don't mind shelling out more money for it. I can understand why some people might say DLC content should be included in the base games already in some cases, but personally I like having something new to look forward to in games that I really liked.
^ My thoughts, there's not really much more I can add. DLC, especially if planned over an extended period of time, can be a great way of extending a game's life and, when done right, it can be highly enjoyable.

There are just a lot of cases of it being done wrong (or deviously), but they aren't inherently bad or unethical.
Old 1 Week Ago (07:09 AM).
You seem rather drunk
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
I have mixed opinions. Sometimes with DLC, it's actually worth it and adds to the game, making it more enjoyable and giving you more things to explore or complete. On the other hand, I have had experiences whereby I have purchased DLC thinking I would enjoy it after watching videos or something of the sort, but have been disappointed. I do think DLC can be a good thing. You can argue that everything should be in the base game, but sometimes DLC introduces things developers didn't really think about when creating the base game. I guess it depends what the actual DLC is. Obviously it's something companies do to make more money, but that's what every business does to make revenue. At least in a lot of cases, DLC is priced fairly, and the content you are getting is worth the money. Take Civilization's BNW DLC. That adds so much to the game, so much. Sometimes DLC is released which implements things that players of the game have asked for after release.
Old 6 Days Ago (12:22 PM).
Commander

Nature: Lonely
Non free DLC = cancer. All it did was making developers lazy in development, because they can just leave stuff out of their game and add it sometime afterwards, if you're willing to pay for that stuff, of course.

I know the concept of DLC was originally designed as a good way to enhance the games, DLCs were made for, but, sadly, that's how the market works: if there's something that can be exploited, people will exploit it, until somebody does something about it.
Old 6 Days Ago (01:50 PM).
Pillow Fort Cat™

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Juno:
If a DLC adds a substantial enough amount of content and isn't unreasonably priced, I don't mind shelling out more money for it. I can understand why some people might say DLC content should be included in the base games already in some cases, but personally I like having something new to look forward to in games that I really liked.

Sims Expansion Packs are evil though. They cost as much as a new game and often do include content that should already be in the base.
Sims expansions are terrible. It is practically the only game series where you know, before the next game has even been announced, what DLC will be available for it. Pets, Seasons, University, etc. And it manages to get away with it to boot.

Back to the point, this is basically how I feel about it, too. I don't really understand all the complaints about DLC. Just like the base game, if there's enough content to warrant the price tag, I don't mind it. As you said, I usually look forward to it with games I enjoyed. Fallout 3 and NV wouldn't have been nearly as great without the DLC, but I still liked that they came out after I had finished the base game.

Of course, all that said, I still usually wait for a sale or the GOTY edition because I'm cheap, lol.

etc. links - Backloggery ||
List of my co-op games. || 100+
spare Steam keys for trades and things. ||
Old 5 Days Ago (11:38 AM).
iconic
Crystal Tier

Nature: Rash
DLC is fine for extending existing content, but removing existing content from a game while it is developing and making it paid DLC is abusing the system. DLC is a great concept, take a pre-existing game and add new content for a fee, it's basically just a expansion pack for a game at a smaller scale. Fragmenting the experience for people who don't want to pay for DLC is a bad business decision.

I think that including a mixture of free and paid DLC like Mario Kart 8 is probably the best of both worlds. With that game, they're releasing a free 200cc mode but releasing a pack of new stages, karts and characters for a paid fee. I think that's reasonable.

TYRANNASNORE.
REVIEW BLOG.
Old 5 Days Ago (01:33 PM).
Protect his very soul.
Super Moderator
BS
CS

If the DLC is offered for extra side quests or extra maps/levels, I don't mind it. I would only buy additional DLC for games that I'm really enjoying.

I do no appreciate it when DLC expands the storyline. I feel the finished product should have a complete and sensible storyline. Then came Final Fantasy XIII-2 and its DLC, bleh. I watched that stuff on youtube rather than wasting the money.

Old 5 Days Ago (06:29 PM).
nothing beats a mud bath!

Nature: Gentle
i prefer it as ALL unlockable (i.e: complete the game, get more campaigns after) i PAID the FULL RETAIL PRICE! GIVE ME THE WHOLE GAME!
cuzin
me and kayla
Old 5 Days Ago (08:09 PM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Nothing wrong with DLC. It's as old as the industry.

What I'm against is microtransactions, some of which disguised as DLC. They're a plague from mobile gaming which spread into mainstream gaming.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old 2 Days Ago (06:40 AM).
And you say that life is just a game

Nature: Calm
It depends. If it's just Maps/skins/weapons/anything else that should have been in the game to begin with then I kinda have an issue with that. But if it includes a significant amount of new content then I'm okay with it.

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old 1 Day Ago (01:57 PM).

I'm okay with DLC as long as it's not unreasonably priced with what is offered and was developed and made after the game was made. I do take issue if it is the complete opposite of what I just mentioned and it's beyond unreasonably priced on what is offered ($14.99 for one monster in Evolve. Yeah I'm not spending that much for one extra monster.), and was made during the game's development and released on or after day one release or is already on the disc. I will still buy DLC even if I'm not okay with it, it just depends on what is in it.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links