Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation
Reload this Page B2 W2 Boo!! The Battle Subway is left unchanged!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

View Poll Results: Would you still play the Battle Subway even though it hasn't changed one bit?
Yes 20 71.43%
No 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 5th, 2012 (05:11 AM).
Battle Subway Editor

Nature: Careful
I just checked out information from one of the Pokemon sites and I am shocked and disappointed! Despite the addition of the PWT, the Battle Subway has been left UNCHANGED!! It's the same old trainers from BW with the same exact teams and it's the same exact way with the partner (Opposite gender of the hero with the same option of teams with ONLY Unova Pokemon). Dang! I thought they will at least slightly change the subway database by adding all the old Pokemon that became part of the new Unova Pokedex. What is your reaction? Discuss!

All forum members BEWARE..!
Credits to Xulek
Old July 5th, 2012 (05:19 AM).
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
Damn! I was looking forward to a Rotation Battle Subway Line. There are no places in the game to do some sweet Rotation Battles for hours on end.
Old July 5th, 2012 (05:23 AM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

Personally, I think it's due to the world tournament. :x It's such a big selling point of B2W2, and the subway was more of a selling point of BW, so expanding upon that would be kind of strange considering there's all this work/effort going towards the tournament. I may still use it occasionally, idk, or I might just use B/W's. I really don't mind that it hasn't changed!
Old July 5th, 2012 (10:41 AM).
Don't mess with the lights...

Nature: Sassy
UGH UGH UGHHHHH i hateeee this are you saying that there are no non-unova poke's in the subway AT ALLLL?!?!?? UGGGGGHHHHH
Old July 5th, 2012 (11:08 AM).
Goin' Bananas
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Timid
^ You'll survive. Anyway, I didn't expect any changes to Battle Subway really. With all the other things added in the games, it's not much of a surprise. It looks like some prizes got their prices lowered though, so that's enough to make me happy.

i'm leaving this i don't even care
Old July 5th, 2012 (11:29 AM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Well that's disappointing, I was sure they'll at least include the new pokémon to the Unova dex in the normal trains. Considering that we get BP from the tournament there really isn't much reason to play in the imo less fun Battle Subway.
Old July 5th, 2012 (12:45 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
If you've done a ROM hack or a RMXP game, you'll know that adding things takes up a lot of time. So it's no surprise that they haven't got around to changing details of unimportant side-quests like the Battle Subway yet.

And what MRAS said is true...the Battle Subway is boring tbqh.

Old July 5th, 2012 (02:03 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
^ True. "unimportant" is a little harsh... but yet so true.
So much for 2 years. Did the Subway Bosses just sit in there twiddling their thumbs? Did they at least get some sort of sprite change? I was hoping for some kind of extension but oh well. I guess G.F. decided to put all their effort into the P.W.T. which I will go to instead.
Don't know if this post sticks to the thread... feel free to delete!
Old July 5th, 2012 (04:13 PM).
Nyeh?
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote originally posted by Zayphora:
UGH UGH UGHHHHH i hateeee this are you saying that there are no non-unova poke's in the subway AT ALLLL?!?!?? UGGGGGHHHHH
Indeed, there are non-Unova Pokemon in the Battle Subway after you get the National Dex.

Anyway, it kind of stinks that the Battle Subway was left unchanged. I mean, they could've integrated the new move tutors on the Subway Pokemon.

Old July 5th, 2012 (04:29 PM).
born under saturn
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Yeah, Hikari is disappointed the Battle Subway had NO CHANGES AT ALL!

Particularly no move tutor moves, exact same Trainers and only Unova Pokemon until you get the National Dex.

I guess I might do more of the PWT instead.

battle server | tumblr | profile | lovely pair
adoption center mentor | fairy-type club
on reduced activity for a while | #radreds

Old July 5th, 2012 (04:38 PM).
Battle Subway Editor

I think I'm gonna go with the PWT or the Black Skyscraper/WHite Tree Hollow instead because the Pokemon there got tutoring moves in their movesets plus there's a HUGE variety. I still have hopes that Challenge Mode may change it... if not, then what's the point of going through the same old Battle Subway besides for competitive reasons.

All forum members BEWARE..!
Credits to Xulek
Old July 5th, 2012 (04:54 PM).
The Horoscopical Master

Nature: Quirky
Im pissed but i can understand why GF didnt change it
They added TWO new features to the games why would they enhance the battle subway
(same reason why the pokemon musical wasnt enhanced because there is a new and better pokewood)

The Aquarius loves a party. Anytime, anywhere is their motto. It is not unlikely that an Aquarius will consider a wake a good place to meet chicks. Aquarians love to be naked. It is even better if they are naked and crocked. Froot Loops is a very Aquarian cereal. So is Rice Krispies, since it will engage in a friendly chat with the Aquarian as he or she is eating breakfast. Count Chocula is off-limits, however. It belongs to the Scorpios. Aquarians use the phrase "Dude, man..." frequently when describing philosophical concepts. Aquarians have out-of-body experiences on a daily basis. If you are talking to an Aquarian and he or she zones out, consider the conversation hopeless. He or she is talking to the guy three feet away from you. Aquarians are fun because they channel people. Plus, if you tell them to, they will run around naked. Aquarians like astronomy because they've been to all those places. If you want to know what the food is like on Saturn, ask an Aquarius. Aquarians can allow themselves every possible vice on the planet, and don't think twice about it. That is why they piss everyone else off. They are cosmically entitled to do this.
Old July 5th, 2012 (06:22 PM).
Proud Gork
Administrator
CS

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by droomph:
If you've done a ROM hack or a RMXP game, you'll know that adding things takes up a lot of time. So it's no surprise that they haven't got around to changing details of unimportant side-quests like the Battle Subway yet.

And what MRAS said is true...the Battle Subway is boring tbqh.
Considering all the hooks they've implemented in the battle system to accommodate these sorts of things, it's not going to take a long time at all. Depending on who you talk to, it could be pretty trivial. (ROM hacks are not a good measure because for every game before Emerald, the hooks simply weren't there or as plentiful.)

You got a Battle Tower replacement with more options than the original to boot, and now you have a Tournament. Maybe you liked the interesting ideas like the Roulette and whatnot, but there's so much content in Black 2 and White 2 outside of battling that I think you'd be more interested in that. Like the PWT itself.

Chuckie Finster
Dislikes: Clowns
Old July 5th, 2012 (11:09 PM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by SnowpointQuincy:
Damn! I was looking forward to a Rotation Battle Subway Line. There are no places in the game to do some sweet Rotation Battles for hours on end.
Ever heard of PWT? :D
You can have unlimited amount of Rotation Battles there

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
It looks like some prizes got their prices lowered though, so that's enough to make me happy.
I agree with you :D

I believe it's unchanged so we can have enough BPs to get items =D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old July 6th, 2012 (12:20 PM).

Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Another possible reason why they weren't changed, B2W2 can link up with B/W for Tag Subway battles. Subway was still there to replace Battle Tower and you could link up for that too. So since B2W2 could Wifi Link with a friend who owns B/W for Battle Subway, its more that they couldn't update it without breaking compatibility.
Old July 6th, 2012 (02:46 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by XanderO:
Another possible reason why they weren't changed, B2W2 can link up with B/W for Tag Subway battles. Subway was still there to replace Battle Tower and you could link up for that too. So since B2W2 could Wifi Link with a friend who owns B/W for Battle Subway, its more that they couldn't update it without breaking compatibility.
I think this is probably a major reason, I don't think difficulty has anything to with it, the super subways were still relatively easy before 21 anyway. It would've been nice to see some Beedrill and Seaking with Drill Run in there though.
Old July 6th, 2012 (04:01 PM).
Don't mess with the lights...

Nature: Sassy
Sorry for my major rage before. I really don't use Battle Subway much, not unless I'm really bored, and if I get bored in BW2 I'll be in the PWT.
Old July 6th, 2012 (04:14 PM).
Proud Gork
Administrator
CS

Quote originally posted by XanderO:
I had no doubts that they wouldn't change the lineup to maintain consistency, but compatibility isn't the reason this time either. Host game (yes, Xander, similar situation) decides trainers and the trainers' Pokémon - it's why when a Japanese game is the leader, the Battle Subway trainer names are Japanese even in a game of a different language (the phrases they speak pre-battle are selected from a pre-defined pool, so they'll always be in the right language). The game decides how to deal with Pokémon accordingly based off data from the host.

That's to say they could've changed it. They simply didn't.

I'm sure what some people may have been looking for is an extension to the Battle Subway - what about more lines? A bit more extension to the single player lines?

I suppose you could compare it to HG/SS and how those games handled the Battle Frontier.

Chuckie Finster
Old July 6th, 2012 (04:27 PM).

Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Quote originally posted by Hiroshi Sotomura:
I had no doubts that they wouldn't change the lineup to maintain consistency, but compatibility isn't the reason this time either. Host game (yes, Xander, similar situation) decides trainers and the trainers' Pokémon - it's why when a Japanese game is the leader, the Battle Subway trainer names are Japanese even in a game of a different language (the phrases they speak pre-battle are selected from a pre-defined pool, so they'll always be in the right language). The game decides how to deal with Pokémon accordingly based off data from the host.

That's to say they could've changed it. They simply didn't.

I'm sure what some people may have been looking for is an extension to the Battle Subway - what about more lines? A bit more extension to the single player lines?

I suppose you could compare it to HG/SS and how those games handled the Battle Frontier.
Actually in terms of B2W2 getting new Trains to ride that wouldn't be correct as there wouldn't be proper corresponding trains for B/W players to get on to join the battle. If there were a Rotation battle train in B2W2 and not in B/W then B/W wouldn't be able to battle in Rotation Battles in Tag Mode (Albeit I doubt that would be possible anyway) But since that battle train does't exist the B/W player wouldn't be compatible to join in.

So Compatibility is a minor issue with that. I understand what you are saying and everything, but if there is a specific battle format in one game and not in another, then they aren't compatible to battle between or proper link up.
Old July 6th, 2012 (04:36 PM).
Proud Gork
Administrator
CS

Oh no, if you created new modes, then I'd imagine it'd become a requirement for players to connect with Black 2 and White 2. The host changes none of that. I was referring more to the trainers and their battle combinations that time.

Chuckie Finster
Old July 6th, 2012 (05:02 PM).
Hope will never die! ~Lucina

Nature: Quiet
I haven't really played through the Subway yet, so I don't think i'll mind. Although i think it is kinda lazy from Nintendo not to even change the teams.
Old July 7th, 2012 (09:58 AM).
The one and only!

Nature: Jolly
Although I would like to see old Pokemon in the Battle Subway, I'll probably still play it anyway, simply because it gives me something to do after I've beaten the game.
Pokemon Rijon Adventures

Old July 7th, 2012 (03:18 PM).
Individualism in Normalcy!

I was honestly surprised that they even kept the Battle Subway at all. Of course, I grind through it constantly for BP, but the Pokemon World Tournament is basically a much better version of the Battle Subway, so I can't imagine what use the Subway has. But I suppose they found that keeping it would cause less trouble then devising a reason for getting rid of it for the plot. With that logic, I'm not surprised that it is unchanged. Slightly dissapointed, yes, but if someone really has a problem with it, they can just ignore the subway and go to the Pokemon World Tournament. If someone prefers the older style with the Subway, they can still do it. Everybody wins in the end.
Old July 8th, 2012 (07:10 AM).

i was hoping for triple battles on the Battle Subway guess not

Old July 8th, 2012 (06:44 PM).
Super Moderator
BS
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
The Battle Subway isn't really that important anymore, not with the World Tournament going on & being the big selling point of BW2. I don't really care either way, though. New updates and changes are always good.

Sponsored Links