The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold

Advertise here

So, Unova. The place is pretty straightforward. Basically you journey in a clockwise circle 'round the region and you've got no real choice in the matter. Pretty much every city is connected to a) the city you came from and b) the city you are going to.

Personally, I find that restrictive and a bit boring. As far as I recall, all the other regions had you scampering around the place and going in little circles between maybe three cities before being able to get to a new place. Sometimes you could bypass a city and be on your way without actually getting a badge you should have got. A few even had where you could choose which gym you wanted to do next. They gave you freedom.

So the question I'm posing is thus: Would you re-design routes in Unova? How do you propose to do that? What cities would you connect? Would you just chuck out the Entralink and put in some kind of rest stop in the middle of a big crossroads? What all would you make changes to?

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
This is a pretty good question. On the one hand, Unova was designed to be simpler for younger players to "understand," but on the other hand, the linearity does tend to be less appealing to more seasoned players.
If I had to redesign it, I wouldn't change how the map is now, but add a few more branching routes in some locations. This would keep the linearity and simplicity of the region intact, but also add more options so that as you're going along your journey, you can visit different places before going to your next story-designated destination.
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Aerinoctis
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Lax
After regions like Hoenn and Sinnoh, Unova's linearity is something that makes me dislike the game a bit. Like Rivvon said, it's great for beginners, but if you've played the games since the beginning, or even started with the Sinnoh region, then you're not going to be challenged at all. One of the things that made those regions interesting was having to travel to different parts of the map instead of it being in one long line.

I wouldn't redesign any of the locations, but I would move some and make it so that you would have to travel in different directions once you reach a certain point. Once you make it to Nimbasa City, I think that's when the game should become more challenging with where you should be headed to and from. Instead of following the circle around, switch White Forest with Mistralton City, or Driftvale City with Opelucid City. Make it so that you'd have to go back to go to the next location, instead of following the line forward.
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
I would probably add a lot of different Routes, as you can see there is all the forest and desert space in between cities, so I would probably add a few Routes branching off and maybe block off the main Route with a sleeping Pokemon or something so that you'd have to go the long way around. I would chuck out the Entralink and fill the space in the middle more, maybe move some cities from each side in more or just add minor towns.

I agree with Aerinoctis, the linearity bothered me a lot while playing the games. :/ I was surprised about it, when I first got to Nimbasa (I think) I was excited when I saw that the city split in different directions, but only to realize that one was blocked :/

showdowngalleryanimepairfamily
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Zayphora
Don't mess with the lights...

Nature: Sassy
I would make there be something more...significant at Anville Town. It would be interesting if it was a Gym City or something. Or maybe the location of some sort of extention to the Subway (frontier plz?) But that will never happen, not even in BW2.
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Forever
let it go

I'd make the circle design of Unova more of a well, circle. Or at least larger cause it's just more like a hexagon kinda right now.

Perhaps I'd move Driftveil more towards where Route 4 is, since it's the desert and all, and there's a lot of sand in Driftveil and that's logical? n_n
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:11 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

One thing I'd do is add water Routes. We have exactly one water Route in the game, and it's not even part of the maingame (Route 17); in fact, you do not require Surf at all to reach the end of the game. Therefore, having Routes between the two bridges on each side would be the first thing I would do, and connect the land areas to the entry/exit points of the bridges somehow. Another option is get rid of two bridges completely (Tubeline was a waste of time, and Marvelous has no land element at all) and make them basic water Routes, and connect those Routes to the ones already on either side. The huge area in the middle, I agree, was a complete wasted opportunity that they try to help resolve with the new town and Rebirth Mountain, but the bridges are still there and a huge empty space as well. The new town could have had a Route connection as well, especially via Village Bridge.

That's the main thing, more thoughts as others post.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:15 AM
Pokemon_Trainer_Nick
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
I like the design. I would not redesign it.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
jcsimpson
Sing into my mouth

Nature: Serious
Send a message via AIM to jcsimpson Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jcsimpson
I would have made some of the towns a little bigger.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Ciax
Ledian Used Starlight!

Nature: Sassy
I disliked the linearity of the Unova region, don't get me wrong it had some great locations, deserts, snow, mountains and forests, Unova has it all. The middle of the map is wasted though, IMO. I hardly use White Forest or Entralink and they could have given it it's own island or something, and added a crossroads/city that serves as a capital city. Add in a few route branching off the other route and we suddenly have a non-liner Unova. I didn't really understand why they designed Unova this way.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciax View Post
I disliked the linearity of the Unova region, don't get me wrong it had some great locations, deserts, snow, mountains and forests, Unova has it all. The middle of the map is wasted though, IMO. I hardly use White Forest or Entralink and they could have given it it's own island or something, and added a crossroads/city that serves as a capital city. Add in a few route branching off the other route and we suddenly have a non-liner Unova. I didn't really understand why they designed Unova this way.
Fully agreed, this could have been where Nimbasa City is and connected to Opelucid City in some way, but with limited access (i.e. create sprites of something on the road ahead and block the way until later). It would have four-way access like the Saffron City of old. Kind of odd, come to think of it, that Castelia has two entries and exits (three in B2/W2 if you count the boat).

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Forever
let it go

Nimbasa connected to Opelucid? Hmmm nah, I'd actually like it if it was Castelia connected to Opelucid because in the distance @ the route before Opelucid you see water, so you can assume that there's water on the other side, and thus that'd lead to Castelia.

...nah that makes no sense. Maybe extend that route before Opelucid, but that's all I'd do regarding it. :(
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requility View Post
Nimbasa connected to Opelucid? Hmmm nah, I'd actually like it if it was Castelia connected to Opelucid [snip]
I wish it was Castelia, too. But unfortunately, they put Nimbasa City in the way and didn't want that connected to Castelia, plus Castelia was not designed well for multiple entry and exit points. I kinda wish it became a central point to the story where Nimbasa City is (possibly rearranging the rest of Unova afterwards to be among the multiple connections) instead of just being passed through once.

Cyclone

Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I wish it was Castelia, too. But unfortunately, they put Nimbasa City in the way and didn't want that connected to Castelia, plus Castelia was not designed well for multiple entry and exit points. I kinda wish it became a central point to the story where Nimbasa City is (possibly rearranging the rest of Unova afterwards to be among the multiple connections) instead of just being passed through once.

Cyclone
:( Maybe you could've relocated Nimbasa and swapped that for Castelia. ofc it wouldn't match the reality of New York, but it'd still be "close enough", plus you have that random desert in the middle that throws it off.
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
The Entralink smack in the middle of the hexagon thing was really weird... like a bizarre black hole dimensional portal to another person's game. That huge gap should have been filled with areas that relate to the actual in game plot instead for some odd gimmick of dubious value. I'd like Castelia to serve as more of a "hub" city, seeing as it's what gives the region the "urban" feel they were going for, and it should be more of a centerpiece.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Bourne-mouth
Trainer

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciax View Post
Exactly.

I personally think that Anville Town would have more significance to the game, otherwise it's just a waste of space.

Unova is poorly done to be honest.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here