The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:28 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Pokémon Black and White received a perfect score of 40/40 from Famitsu, which is considered to be the most widely read and respected video game news magazine in Japan. Pokémon Black and White are so far the only Pokémon games to receive a perfect score from the magazine and are one of nineteen games to receive it. Other magazines such as Nintendo Power and The Official Nintendo magazine gave it 9/10 and 90% respectively.

Did Black and White really deserve to receive such high scores? With all the features the games lacked (eg Safari Zone, move tutors, Battle Frontier), were they really perfect, or did the new features such as the C-Gear and Dream World make up for it? What score do you think they deserved?
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Aeroplane
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quiet
I definitely do not think they deserved 40/40. 30/40 maybe, 35/40 is stretching it.

Simply said, I'm shocked as to how these games were so widely praised. I didn't find them that enjoyable. Good games? Sure. Perfect games? Nowhere near.

HG/SS should have gotten 40/40, not B/W.

Most features that B/W added were trivial at best, while taking out great additions that previous generations were praised for (Such as the toggle running shoes of HG/SS, Battle Frontier, etc.)

Just my opinion though.

Old July 10th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Haseyo
쏘쿨

I believe it was the actual good story (all previous ones were pretty basic, Platinum being the only one to stretch craziness), the amount of gameplay changes / moves / hold items, and the amount of new Pokemon all were great additions. Safari Zone is outdated, and the Frontier isn't exactly needed because many just fight online now, but it would've been nice too. B2/W2 definitely deserved a 40/40, and B/W probably 38-39/40, only because the Subway was kind of weaksauce.

HG/SS was Platinum with Crystal's story. I don't think remakes ever deserve full scores only because it's...nothing really new.
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Munchlax11
Munch?

Nature: Serious
[SIZE="a"]Black and White lacked post game activity. After the E4 it was pretty much done. It had a better story than past main series games, but did not deserve a 40/40[/SIZE]

|Ever Grande City Forums|My Profile|PM|Pokemoon Chatbox

Pokemon X
3DS FC: 2852-7439-1811
(VM if you add)
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Azure Rathalδs
the power within
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I wouldn't say that B/W should get a perfect score. The only Pokemon game I can give that merit to is Emerald that that was only how good the Battle Frontier was and the speed of the battle system.

B/W had a rather aimless post-game and the Battle Subway was rather lacking, plus some of the better tm moves like stealth rock got replaced by gimmicky and, at times, useless moves such as struggle bug.

I'd say B/W gets a 38/40 from me, although the sequels could get a 39 or a 40.
Old July 10th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Anna
Mad Queen
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I don't think so. I honestly didn't find them very enjoyable and the new features not very useful. The story was sort-of interesting but everything was very linear and I hated that I had no freedom to wander around without advancing the storyline. I have to admit, I got bored and stopped playing before the E4. I've never ever failed to finish a Pokémon game on my first run before and I just... was not interested enough. Levelling up was hard too, that may have been part of the boredom factor.

I just don't think they were anywhere near perfect. I don't know what I would give them, being that I don't know the scoring system, but certainly not over 35.

- Aquacorde Themes -

- Aqua/Magma Fanclub -

- RT/AH Fanclub -

- RWBY Fanclub -

- Watch-Along Club -

- Pairs - Family - Lovelies -

- Theme - Av Art - Sig Gif -

The Choice Is Made
The Task Is Set
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM
SuperTreaz
The Elder of Dunsparce

Nature: Bold
I would have given them a 37. NOT based on their creativity or originality (STUNFISK), but on their new graphics. I found Castelia City beautiful. Somewhat annoying at times, yet the views of it (in the city and on Skyarrow) awesome. It also felt less like a genuine Pokemon game. Maybe it was the new map and Entralink, or maybe it was the new older age of the protagonist.
I also liked the pureness of the criminal team leader (N), while Ghetsis is going around being a meanie and yelling at everyone.
All in all, from the humor (the "legs" girl...... ) to the graphics, it was an awesome game.
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Realize that no game can be perfect, and just because it got a perfect score does not mean that the judges think the game is perfect.
Also understand how those scores come about: four people rate the game out of 10, and their scores all get added together. No one person rates it out of 40.

Taking that into consideration, I would actually say yes.
It introduced new Pokemon, which already cements it as a major addition to the Pokemon universe as a whole (and whether or not you like the majority of them is irrelevant, because each Pokemon is liked by someone), had an acceptable amount of post-game content, and it really pushed the envelope in terms of narrative and story-telling.
Old July 11th, 2012, 07:11 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
At the time the games were released, I think B/W deserved the perfect score because of the new Pokemon introduced as well as the storyline, which was mentioned above. IMO, that really made up for the lack of Safari Zone and Game Corner. But with B2/W2 coming soon, I think they should've been 36-39/40; there wasn't much to do post-game.

Old July 11th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I think Black & White deserved their perfect score for these reasons: The new Pokemon were kinda interesting but most of them were pretty strong and useful, the storyline and characters were captured perfectly, the protagonists being older than the usual 10-year-old Trainer, the concept with Team Plasma, the big improvement in graphics (particularly the Ferris Wheel and Castelia City), the massive gameplay/move/item changes, the introduction of new gimmicky abilities, the concept of two rivals and the acceptable amount of post-game content.

While the Battle Subway and lack of a Safari Zone were a disappointment, the rest of the game was great.

If I rated this out of 40, I'd give it 37 (especially because B2/W2 is coming soon). I mean, the 5th Generation is one generation of Pokemon done right and B2/W2 will be even better on top of that.

Coming from a 5th Generation fan like myself, some of my fave Pokemon were even introduced including my beloved Oshawott!

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Last edited by Hikamaru; July 11th, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
I think this gen reeled in a lot of old players and new players and did a great job at doing so. I can name a ton of people that it brought in or back in to the series. And it brought Petilil and Victini. What more could you ask for? :D Those Pokemon alone are a perfect score, lol. But in all seriousness, I do think BW deserved its score. I think it did a great job at giving the series a fresh start, however not perfectly. No game is perfect, as I'm sure it's been said in this thread plenty of times.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
The games definitely didn't deserve the extremely high scores. The stories weren't nearly as good as the magazines hyped them up to be, the lack of old Pokemon was unfortunate, there was effectively no postgame, and there were many of the new Pokemon that were extremely disappointing in either design, stats, or both. Plus, the game featured too many pointless legendaries, and many Pokemon that were covered in spikes and armor just so the kids would like them.

Plus, the games were a major step back from the last games, the brilliantly great Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I'd say so yeah, they know what they're talking about and I certainly had fun playing it. They included many features old and new, the difficulty was fine not too easy but not too hard and overall I really enjoyed it. I'm especially looking forward to Black & White 2 now!

Old July 11th, 2012, 09:20 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I think they deserved what scores they received. They had plenty of new and exciting Pokémon to catch, amazing graphics for a DS game, worked with WPA internet, had great multiplayer functions and had so much more. It didn't matter that there was no Safari Zone or underground, etc, because it had plenty of new and better things to replace them.
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Zayphora
Don't mess with the lights...

Nature: Sassy
I think they deserved a 39, because they weren't perfect, but they were really good. The graphics were cool, the evil team had a slightly new twist, they added a few new features, but there were some things that were lacking- like Musicals, which I personally think is the worst fail GAME FREAK made with BW. But I think a 39 would have been good.
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Skitty1
Highlight my signature :)

No - I've played BW and went back to HG... why did they get rid of all the good things from HG/SS?! >.<
Old July 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
I honestly think that they did deserve it. Or as close to perfect as can be, anyway. Sure, they lacked some classic features (I would've liked a Safari Zone), but imo the Dream World and C-Gear made up for it, as the original post says. That and I found the storyline for DPPt mind-numbingly boring, and I'm not such a fan of the RSE storyline either, so it was refreshing to have a storyline that gripped me & I enjoyed playing through.

Old July 13th, 2012, 09:11 AM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

It seems to me that, for Famitsu, simplicity goes a long way. For them, it was simple, nothing complex. It was a new region to explore (not a revisit to Kanto through a southern exit of an area that previously wasn't there). There was no growing Berries, no Pokéblocks, a limited number of Berries to get in-game and once a day in some cases, and so on. The map, once you reach Nimbasa City, is circular; you don't do a lot of backtracking (except once to Desert Resort and then to Nacrene, though by now you have Fly), and it's a generic path you follow without having to go back to other areas. In other words, simple. And that might be their rating system: simplicity.

I personally think a game like Crystal, if it were made in today's mapmaking format instead of the way it was at its time, would be a 40/40 game easily. However, keep in mind that after beating the Elite 4, you have to tackle another eight Gyms, another batch of new challenges, another 30 routes or whatever, more complex backtracking perhaps (I didn't play the ROM past the path to Victory Road for some reason, likely due to changing systems), and so on - things that complex what to that point has been a more simple game. Therefore, it would get a 35 from Famitsu instead of the 40 it deserves (what DID it get, NEway?). I think Black/White, given they introduce a new generation and some new combination types (Rock/Fighting for instance), might be able to get a 35; the sequels probably won't because you end up revisiting areas, and some people will say you shouldn't get Black or White now, you're already visiting the same areas you did then, or don't bother with the new ones if you have the originals because it's mostly the same game, blah blah. Of course, we know better. What I've seen of the sequels uses the old areas in hew ways (meteors in one route and Route 4 construction completed, for example). It makes for a similar experience, like revisiting Kanto from Johto, but still encompasses the same area making it a new experience in some ways. Also, the entire path to the Pokémon League is changed; what exactly is in the north part of Opelucid City now? Route 2 is changed to force you through the wild grass by making the old cliff jumps unwalkable. Things like that. It's a fresh experience in a familiar area. And Black 2 / White 2 should get a 45 if B/W gets a 40.

Cyclone
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

Too short and 'empty' to warrant such a score.
Now, if it was on the 3DS and took full advantage of the new hardware... ... ... but it wasn't.
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:15 PM
pokemontrainer_samuel
Smoochum

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via ICQ to pokemontrainer_samuel Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to pokemontrainer_samuel Send a message via Yahoo to pokemontrainer_samuel
I've played all the games of the pokemon main series, and I find BW a big improvement compared to it's predecessors. All that graphics and the rich storyline just blew me away.

Don't get me wrong, I was really marveled by the cut scenes in D/P/Pt which weren't available in previous generations, and HG/SS was a big improvement with the menu on the touch screen and all, but BW is really in a league of it's own. Better graphics, new pokemon, GTS trading, Dream World. Initially I bought the game just for the sake of buying a pokemon game (because I heard my friend telling me how ridiculous the new pokemons were), but in the end it was totally awesome!

One drawback is that I find it hard to get evolution stones, and also berries (but hey, I don't use berries anyway. Can still remember breaking the 400 mark with Sitrus berries in my Sapphire game). It doesn't really lack post-game material because of the Dream World and online battles and GTS. The auto activation of the running shoes doesn't quite bother me since after years of pokemon gaming, I've sorta gotten used to pressing on the B button to make my character run. Running without pressing the B button seems a bit... How do I describe it... Empty?

But one thing that I really don't like about the game is Black City. I read that the number of citizens in Black City will depend on how many days it takes you to reach Black City. I had 10 battleable citizens in Black City initially. But then someone borrowed my DS for a year (in exchange she lent me her PSP) and I when I continued playing it after getting back my DS, There are only 3 battleable citizens left :(

Overall, I would say that BW really deserves the 40/40. It's graphics are definitely nothing if you compare them to RPG games on other consoles, like Final Fantasy on the PS3 or something like that. But for a DS game, it's hard to find anything better than BW.
Charizard the level 50 Charizard!

This chibi Articuno was adopted at Lugia.co.uk!
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Eh...it's fine really. Its good points far outweigh the bad.

...there's really not much to say other than that - it's a whole new experience, and I liked it. Except the Pokémon, but I got used to that. :D

Old July 13th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Dalek_Kabu
Resident Fossil

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dalek_Kabu
only outstanding parts i liked was a more in-deptht story line new fossils and the new gtsn (global trade station negotiation) other than that could have been better (boats to kanto,hoenn,johto,and sinnoh any one?) or more fossils.us
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabutopsian View Post
only outstanding parts i liked was a more in-deptht story line new fossils and the new gtsn (global trade station negotiation) other than that could have been better (boats to kanto,hoenn,johto,and sinnoh any one?) or more fossils.us
If there is ever a Grey edition, I wonder if a Kanto/Johto map will be added and Pokémon levels within Unova limited to allow you to seek out an extra eight Gyms again. I'd like that. Fly from Mistralton City, only available after beating the Elite 4.

Even better, someday I'd like a Pokémon Ultimate comprising all five regions; start at Kanto and find three Gyms (obviously some Routes can be closed off due to "construction" or something), then go to Johto and find another three, off to Hoenn for two more, find Victory Road here, then off to a ninth Gym beyond that Victory Road, off to Sinnoh for another trio, then the final four in Unova in that circular loop (Nimbasa, Mistralton with the airport, Icirrus, and Opelucid all being candidates for inclusion) and off to that peninsula through the original Route 10 (reopened after the landslide mess was cleaned up, but VR perhaps simplified for caves being filled in) for its Elite 4, all comprised of Lv.90 Pokémon and a Champion at Lv.95 with a Lv.97 leader. Basically, comprise areas from all five generations into one 16-Gym mega-challenge and force the player to reach the highest levels of training to win. Sounds fun to me. Might need a console system for the data required.

In other words, that will never happen.

Cyclone

Cyclone
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
If there is ever a Grey edition, I wonder if a Kanto/Johto map will be added and Pokémon levels within Unova limited to allow you to seek out an extra eight Gyms again. I'd like that. Fly from Mistralton City, only available after beating the Elite 4.

Even better, someday I'd like a Pokémon Ultimate comprising all five regions; start at Kanto and find three Gyms (obviously some Routes can be closed off due to "construction" or something), then go to Johto and find another three, off to Hoenn for two more, find Victory Road here, then off to a ninth Gym beyond that Victory Road, off to Sinnoh for another trio, then the final four in Unova in that circular loop (Nimbasa, Mistralton with the airport, Icirrus, and Opelucid all being candidates for inclusion) and off to that peninsula through the original Route 10 (reopened after the landslide mess was cleaned up, but VR perhaps simplified for caves being filled in) for its Elite 4, all comprised of Lv.90 Pokémon and a Champion at Lv.95 with a Lv.97 leader. Basically, comprise areas from all five generations into one 16-Gym mega-challenge and force the player to reach the highest levels of training to win. Sounds fun to me. Might need a console system for the data required.

In other words, that will never happen.

Cyclone
Interesting idea, but kind of off-topic from the discussion of whether B/W deserved 40/40. You could always bring that up in Pokemon Gaming Central though @ latter idea. n_n

Now time to be controversial since most said no! Did they deserve 40/40? Yes. I really think they went all-out with the games. The storyline was amazing, the music was amazing, everything was basically amazing, and the small issues were sorta covered by all the good there actually was in the games. Also it should be noted that at that time there was no B2W2, however, in general it probably would've been assumed that there would be a sequel to fix some of the issues you guys are mentioning. Also if it was too full of stuff, like you guys would've preferred, then there would be no need for sequels, etc. So based on what we have I think they really did deserve 40/40 because they bypassed my expectations as well as others for what we'd see in Pokemon games, and are the start of many things that I'm sure future games will carry on.
Old July 14th, 2012, 03:47 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
No, they did not earn a 40 score. That was one of the deciding factors, one that convinced me to put other concerns aside regarding B/W and actually bite the bullet and buy a copy. And I wanted to kick myself for it. So much in these games either seems like a rushed effort, or a conscious decision to make things more frustrating and tedious. From the menu interface to the altered EXP system, from the massive level gap post-E4 to the lack of key features like the Vs. Seeker, the small things added up to make my experience less than enjoyable. A total score of 30 at absolute best.

(Then again, I never saw why HG/SS are so highly regarded either. I might have rated them one or two points higher than B/W, at best)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP