Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Would you like to see the protagonist talk?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Featured | Spinoffs

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the protagonist talk?
Yes 10 31.25%
No 22 68.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21st, 2012 (11:49 AM).

Nature: Calm
Would you like to see the protagonist speak in the new Poke games? Or do you think it would take away from the game?

I personally think it could work well so long as the story and dialogue is good and they don't mess it up.
Old October 21st, 2012 (12:27 PM).
"What's this? Who is this spoiled brat?"
ModeratorBSCS

Nature: Modest
I would like it. It is weird how you are the only one who never is shown speaking.

Old October 21st, 2012 (01:00 PM).
#justiceforbionic 11.11.13

I don't really mind. I do enjoy how not having it makes me think of the responses my character is saying in my own voice.
Old October 21st, 2012 (02:07 PM).
If all we have is time then we'll be alright
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Pretty indifferent about this. And really, when you look at it, series with silent protagonists tend to do pretty well, wondering why that is. Pokemon, The Legend of Zelda, Jak and Daxter (at least for the first game), and several others have gotten pretty popular. So really, I think it'd ruin the sense of the games a bit, since you're supposed to be the protagonist after all, the choices are all yours, and I'm guessing that's kinda what they're aiming at here. I just don't think pre-scripted dialogue for your very own trainer kinda fits into it all, but yeah, that's just my opinion.

Old October 21st, 2012 (05:43 PM).

Nop. I wouldn't feel that I 'm the protagonist.
Old October 21st, 2012 (07:35 PM).
Monolith

no, not in main series games at least.
Old October 21st, 2012 (08:07 PM).
#isthenumbersign

Nature: Sassy
It was kinda weird with the scripted PokeStar talking. I guess I'm just not used to having the protagonist talk. So I'm going to say no on this one.
Old October 21st, 2012 (08:49 PM).
Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks

Send a message via AIM to LividZephyr Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LividZephyr
The silent protagonist of the Pokemon series was specifically designed to be an avatar of the player, for them to name themselves and journey as themselves; this is eventually why they added the feminine option, so girl players could do likewise and not have a masculine character. Thus, based on this conclusion, having the protagonist speak would be a change too dramatic to be considered; it would remove the self-reflection of the game, the feeling that it is YOU who is doing that.

Having the protagonist talk wouldn't affect anything else, really, since the character development is how the Pokemon grow - it's different from a traditional JRPG - and for what? To develop a story that's already pretty basic, to add a central, already-named character that completely makes the franchise go against itself? How would that make sense?

In a word, the only answer is no.

Credit to whomever drew that Hilda picture. Lemme know if that's you.

~*~ 3DS FC: 3540-0366-4191 ||| Mii name: Andy ||| IGN: Amanda ~*~
Old October 21st, 2012 (09:27 PM).
Indifference, I choose you!
Gold Tier

Nature: Careful
Having the protagonist talk would completely pull me out of the immersive world. I've played terrible, awful games where the main character was supposed to be my avatar, and they also talked. For example, Digimon World DS: the character dialogue makes me want to cringe every time. "Say it isn't so!"

Pokemon could easily descend into awkward translations and bad jokes if you allowed the main character to talk. It takes away the personal attachment to the character too... I mean, sure, I can get attached to characters with back stories and personalities, but when these are supposed to be my Pokemon, and my decisions, it'd feel pretty impersonal when you take that away.

Pechachu ♀/ Lvl 19
I should probably play & post more.

Friend Codes
White 2: 1850 9621 9807
Old October 22nd, 2012 (06:49 AM).
Unburden Belly Drum
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Definitely going to say no to this one. It's acceptable in other games but not for the main-series Pokemon games. In other video games you aren't the player character, but rather playing as them; in Pokemon, you are the protagonist. Forcing you into a backstory would damage that heavily. The only reason why it was acceptable in PokeStar Studios for the protagonist to speak was because they were reading off a script.
Old October 22nd, 2012 (07:00 AM).
coven
Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I would but since they haven't done this for 16 years now I don't think it would seem right.
Old October 22nd, 2012 (10:12 AM). Edited October 22nd, 2012 by Cassino.

Not at all. This isn't a sentiment I hold specific to Pocket Monsters either. I've seen it put it quite succinctly as the problem of 'I only have three lines and none of them is what I want to say' and it's a problem endemic to role-playing video games. And at the end of it the story is still the same anyway, more or less. If gameplay-based games' stories could branch like visual novels do, that would be quite exceptional; in any case I don't think Pokemon will be or should be that exception.

Oh and if this is just about straight-up fixed dialogue, that's plain worse; I would like to think that video games with the gall to call themselves RPGs are now beyond that.
Old October 22nd, 2012 (10:56 AM).
» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪

Send a message via AIM to Twilight Sky Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Twilight Sky Send a message via Skype™ to Twilight Sky
I would only tolerate this if the main protagonist had witty things to say. Like smart-ass comebacks or something.

Don't mind me, I'm just a witty person like that. XD
Old October 22nd, 2012 (12:01 PM).

Nature: Rash
Quote originally posted by Rivvon:
Definitely going to say no to this one. It's acceptable in other games but not for the main-series Pokemon games. In other video games you aren't the player character, but rather playing as them; in Pokemon, you are the protagonist. Forcing you into a backstory would damage that heavily. The only reason why it was acceptable in PokeStar Studios for the protagonist to speak was because they were reading off a script.
This, pretty much. I like to sort of add my own stories and feelings into it, like imagining how I'd react to things happening, instead of having it scripted into the game for me.

Old October 24th, 2012 (10:58 PM).
No thinking , just stupid.
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
No. I'm perfectly comfortable with the protagonist not talking because he/she isn't supposed to. It's you who are playing and it's a personal avatar you name. I like to add in my own dialogue for the player sometimes and if the protagonist would actually talked, that would take out personality of the thing.

paired to hikamaru
Gold Supporter

tumblr| instagram| twitter
Old October 25th, 2012 (02:33 AM).

Not really.Yes and No are good enough for me.
Old October 25th, 2012 (03:33 AM).

Nature: Quiet
I don't think the idea of the protagonist talking in the games is a good idea. First of all, it'll be a HUGE change from all those years of the protagonist Not talking throughout all these years. Such a change would be quite hard to adapt to and might make game play not as personalised and as real. Well, it IS You who are playing, not another character, so they should let you have your own personal 'dialogue' with the other characters in the game. :)

In my opinion, if they insert talking protagonists, I can foretell a huge decline in sales (correct me if I'm wrong). Game Freak wouldn't like that now, would they?
Old October 25th, 2012 (12:10 PM).
Nyeh?
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
It would be good to see the protagonist actually talk in certain points of the game, a la Mystery Dungeon, or at least possibly see their thoughts. But I think GameFreak made them silent on purpose to leave it up to the player's imagination on what they'd say.

Old October 27th, 2012 (02:37 AM).

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
Quote originally posted by Winter's Dew:
I would only tolerate this if the main protagonist had witty things to say. Like smart-ass comebacks or something.

Don't mind me, I'm just a witty person like that. XD
I agree with this xD Sure, the silent protagonist is basically a "tradition" for Pokemon games, and people here have listed a lot of good reasons why. But a small change like the protagonist speaking from time to time (nothing important) wouldn't bother me at all, so I voted yes.

Old October 27th, 2012 (05:46 AM).
No Jokes #MegaCharizard

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Rodriguezjames55
i would if you could choose what to say
Old October 27th, 2012 (07:15 AM).
ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Personally, I wouldn't mind so much! It'd be interesting to see what the protagonist would have to say. If it were to ever happen, though, I think it would be better to make it a spin-off game, since I don't think people would like the protagonist talking in the main series games. Either way, it wouldn't bother me!

(x) Tumblr
(y) Twitter
Previously Eeveon
Old October 28th, 2012 (12:26 PM).
. . .
Silver Tier

Nah, I just think after the games being the way they have been for 10+ years, it would be weird. I mean, I guess I would get used to it eventually, but I kinda like how the characters dont talk. I'd rather that than them have a voice I can't stand. It would ruin the character for me.
Old November 1st, 2012 (04:06 AM).
We'll get to that tomorrow

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nearsighted king of Ice Send a message via Yahoo to Nearsighted king of Ice
Not really, see I enjoy speaking to the NPC's in my own voice, I sometimes even make sarcastic comments.

Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?

Black FC: 1592-5761-9212
Pokemon X FC: 2921-9174-9000
Old November 1st, 2012 (06:28 AM).
get to heaven
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
I would not like this, cos it could hurt sales bad and Game Freak want the player to imagine themselves a lot like they are a real Trainer.

The Pokestar Studios films is an exception though, since they are movies.

tumblr | twitter | lovely pairs | ask me
adoption center mentor | fairy club | water club

Old November 1st, 2012 (06:32 AM).

Nature: Sassy
I find the silence to be more engaging tbh. I can more easily put myself in the protagonist's shoes, but that might just be me.

Technically, the protagonist talks quite a lot if you do the Pokewood and shoot some films.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)