The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Pretor54
Dunsparce needs an evo

The title itself is pretty self-explanatory. Crystal was the last pokémon to have Day-Night System (DNS) when RSE came out. FRLG neither had it. Not that FRLG needed it anyway, but GSC had a DNS. Do you feel like RSE should have it? Or was something useless to you?

Old August 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM
kingofeds
The Ed-olution is here!

In terms of how RSE ended up playing out, I think it wasn't necessary. To me, it wasn't all that great in GSC, but I think it was too ahead of its time. I felt that it made more sense for some reason when it was reintroduced in the DS games.
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:21 AM
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofeds View Post
In terms of how RSE ended up playing out, I think it wasn't necessary. To me, it wasn't all that great in GSC, but I think it was too ahead of its time. I felt that it made more sense for some reason when it was reintroduced in the DS games.
Definitely agree with this. I found it a little pointless and irritating in Gold, but it seemed to fit in more in DPPt, HGSS and BW.

When I've played through RSE I didn't miss it, though. It's something I could do with or without.

Old August 10th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
I liked the feature, however isn't that what ultimately killed GSC batteries? Having that in? RSE does have an internal clock that can die, but at least you can still play the game so it's not a complete screwover. Though I could be totally wrong lol. Either way, I felt like it didn't need it, but I can think of a lot of places in Hoenn that I'd love to see at night. But the lack of the system didn't make the game less fun for me.
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Pretor54
Dunsparce needs an evo

Quote:
I liked the feature, however isn't that what ultimately killed GSC batteries?
Yes, yes, they were exhausted pretty quickly.
In RSE, if the battery dies, I'm pretty sure the only thing that dies along is the berry cycle. Nothing really canonical. In DS, luckily, the DS battery handles the time, so you can play ad infinitum in your DNS.

Old August 11th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Mentalii
Back

Nature: Gentle
When I noticed RSE hadn't this feature, I missed this Day-Night System. It was great. Moreover, for a game that introduced the weather, it was a real pity to forget something like that.
Well, it wasn't that important, even though it would have been a little plus.

Old August 19th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Bourne-mouth
Trainer

Nature: Serious
It wasn't a big deal for me, because it was the cause of GSC's battery drain. I never cared seeing the day/night shift in-game anyways.
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Typhizard

Nature: Quirky
To be completely honest, it just ruined the game and limited to the Pokemon you wanted to catch at that hour. I prefer the day-only system.
Pokemon White 2 (trying to finish the Join Avenue)
Pokemon HeartGold (trying to catch all legendaries)
Pokemon Black 2 (Nuzlocke)

Friend Code for 3DS:
TBA
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM
psyanic
There's Something About Lamps

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhizard View Post
To be completely honest, it just ruined the game and limited to the Pokemon you wanted to catch at that hour. I prefer the day-only system.
Yep. I hated only being able to play during the night time during the school year, so I ended up having limited Pokemon and always seeing the dreary night time. I thought that alone ruined it for me, although the mechanics are interesting. But I didn't mind when they didn't put them in the RSE games as I didn't think they needed them. Yet, I'd like to see Hoenn during the night time, especially Lilycove.

If anything, I thought FRLG needed it a bit, partially because I'd like to have gotten an Espeon without having to trade.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM
AngelArsenic
Beginning Trainer

I actually miss the Day/Night. Just like seeing night all the time is dreary so is seeing day all the time is dreary for me. Also when the internal battery runs out you can still play but like it was said above you can no longer grow berries. However another effect takes place in the cave north of Mossdeep. you can only get to certain places at high/low tide which is every 6 hours. That being the case items and snorunt is out of reach and you can't get all the sea salts and all the sea shells so the old man in the front can make you a shell bell.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
The first Pokemon game I ever played was Crystal version, followed by Ruby version.

In a lot of ways, ruby/sapphire were a step backwards in my opinion. The day and night system was removed, pokemon animations were removed, the time capsule trading system was removed.(which could have been useful from crystal to ruby imo) I stuck with crystal version for quite awhile before I finally started playing gba more.

Wonder Trade!!!
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I was never a big fan of the Day/Night system in Gold, so it didn't bother me too much that it wasn't in the Gen III games (that, and like psyanic said, I only had the opportunity to play my games at night, so it would have gotten a little boring).

What bothered me more though was the complete removal of the clock system for FR/LG. I didn't realize how small things like growing berries, checking my lottery ticket number and having time-based evolutions like Umbreon and Espeon actually affected me until they were missing.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:34 PM
AngelArsenic
Beginning Trainer

I agree with the latter half of Brendino's statement.
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Hikamaru
out of this world
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I started with 3rd Gen, so I didn't know about this until 4th Gen came out.

But yeah, I felt a little odd playing without this feature cos they took out such a great feature that gives the games a realistic look. Also, I often got confused whether Shoal Cave had high or low tide.

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links