Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old September 25th, 2014 (02:30 PM). Edited 5 Days Ago by Mateo.
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Nature: Quirky
Name: Pokémon Red++

Hack of: Pokémon Red (US)

Description:

This is a hack created using the pokered disassembly from the users at Skeetendo. It is currently a side-project, but it will ultimately be used as the baserom for Pokémon Forever once completed. Essentially, it will be the same game as Red Version-- it will just have a number of graphical and gameplay updates to make it feel more familiar when compared to the games we play these days. It will NOT have Gameboy Colour features, it will still be a normal monochrome Gameboy game.

Features:
- Gender selection (Red or Leaf)
- Gen II style sprites for Pokémon
- Trainer images from Gen II+
- "New" Trainer classes that Red was missing, like female Swimmers and female Rockets
- New Pokémon added from the newer gens that make sense to be in Kanto (List not finalized yet)
- Dark, Steel, and Fairy types added
- New moves added, to take advantage of the added types
- Completely re-done skill sets for all Pokémon, making it much closer to the current sets from Gen 6 (But not exact)
- Move Tutors for some of the new moves
- New items, such as Heart Scales for the Move Tutors, Custom Pokéball types, etc.
- Physical/Special Split like the newer games
- Fix the FRZ mechanic, so you have a chance to thaw on your own normally (Or always when you use Flame Wheel or Flare Blitz)
- Optional difficulty feature, which will make Gym Leaders' Pokemon scale with your level
- "PokéCom", a Pokégear-like device like all newer gens have
- Other small updates to be mentioned later.

Screenshots:

Videos:

Changes since this video:
-"Play as a boy, or a girl?" instead of "Choose a gender."
-Fixed text calling Blue my grandson

Progress:
Gender Selection - 100%
Pokemon sprites - 100%
Trainer sprites - 99%
New types added - 100%
New moves added - ??%
Move Tutors added - 0%
New items added - 0%
Physical/Special Split - 100%

Credits:
IIMarckus, Kanzure, comet, Danny-E33, and all the other contributors to the pokered disassembly project
Danny-E33 - Getting me interested in checking out Pokered, and the code for the Gen II-sized backsprites.
ShantyTown - Explaining a RAM address I could use and helping me fix an error I hit while coding the Gender Select routine

More will be added once the trainer images are finalised so I know which people need credits.

Download:
Coming soon!

"Haha! The fun has been doubled!" - Princess Luna
Old September 28th, 2014 (10:08 AM).
Yuuiii

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to Yuuiii Send a message via Skype™ to Yuuiii
Yay, another GB hack by Mateo!

The graphical changes are great, and implementing P/S split in Red is very cool. Will there be a difficulty boost? I love a bit of a challenge

Will definitely be looking forward to this, good luck
Old September 28th, 2014 (04:04 PM).
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

I'm considering a few ways to add optional difficulty boosts, so a couple of different things may end up happening to increase difficulty, just depends on what feels like it works.

Also, I forgot to add this to the first post, but along with the P/S split, I made it so you can easily tell if a move is Physical or Special in battle when you go to use it.

Old September 29th, 2014 (08:32 AM).
Myc Shredder

I love 1st/2nd gen hacks! I remember playing your Christmas hack of Gold & it was the s**t. The features on this one sound amazing.
Any chance you will decapitalize text in the future though? Nothing aggravates me about early Nintendo games more than caps lol

Old September 29th, 2014 (10:45 AM). Edited September 29th, 2014 by Mateo.
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Quote originally posted by Myc Shredder:
I love 1st/2nd gen hacks! I remember playing your Christmas hack of Gold & it was the s**t. The features on this one sound amazing.
Any chance you will decapitalize text in the future though? Nothing aggravates me about early Nintendo games more than caps lol
Honestly, I was not planning to make a lowercase patch unless enough people reaally wanted one. That was more text editing than I wanted to do, and personally, the caps never bothered me anyway :p But if enough people want it, I can make a version without things in all caps.

EDIT: Slight update. While Red and Leaf still use normal sprites in the intro and hall of fame, I changed what they have on the trainer cards today. Still not 100% satisfied with Leaf's sprite yet, but hey, getting there.

Old September 30th, 2014 (06:48 AM).
Nex
Also called _Nex_

just asking but can you implent running shoes?

http://pokemonromhacking.wikia.com/wiki/POK%C3%A9MON_Rom_Hacking_Wiki The pokemon rom hack wiki!
http://nexisback.deviantart.com/
My DA page!
My Hack:

!Scripter(s) needed!
Hacks I support:

Old September 30th, 2014 (07:44 AM).
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Most ways people add running shoes involve replacing the bike and I don't want to replace biking, since that would make cycling road really weird. But I guess I can look into it anyway.

Old October 1st, 2014 (06:11 AM).
Bliss
Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak

Nature: Timid
Replying to subscribe and to say THANK YOU!!!

I said it before in Xmas's thread, but I'm really looking forward to playing this one as well!

Here are a few thoughts of mine:
Spoiler:

Running Shoes - Not really needed, but it would be a nice touch.

A second bike - This is an idea I've had for a while, probably since having a second bike in Sapphire.. Would it be possible to add a second bike? Just thought I'd ask, since I thought about it lol.

De-Cap - Myc Shredder and I agree on this one, constant capitalization was one of my biggest issues with Pokemon growing up. Never made sense why they needed to emphasize things so much. Now, if the entire game had been caps, like other games of the age, that might have been a different story. But having attack names, characters, and other things like that being all capital letters really bugged me. Any chance of a decapitalization is welcome to me, though I admit that it might not be a big deal to most, it certainly is to me!

Physical/Special in Battle Menu - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! When I read that I almost cried out in joy! It gets really annoying trying to remember which attacks are physical, as some of them seem like they would be either (or both) so it's a really nice touch having that available even mid battle! Oh, a little suggestion, for the image, maybe show a skill that was originally the other type (ember was special before, so yeah)

Pokedex completion - Not sure what your plans are for this, but I always aim for Pokedex completion, so I'd like to know ahead of time if it will be possible. (without hacking/cheating/glitches/et cetera)

My only complaint is that we don't have a demo yet T.T Ah well, can't win 'em all!

Keep up the great work, Mateo! Loving everything I see!

Want to ask me a question? Click here!
Old October 1st, 2014 (04:43 PM). Edited October 1st, 2014 by Mateo.
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

On your thoughts:

Running Shoes - I feel like adding these would just make the bike pointless in terms of getting around unless I found a way to make the bike faster, and not sure if that is possible or not. I'd have to look into it more.

Second Bike - I feel like without map updates to add places you needed the acro bike it wouldn't be very useful :p

De-Cap - It seems like I am getting a few requests for this, so I'll keep it in mind. Still not sure if I'll do it yet, but we'll see

Physical/Special in Battle Menu - Yeah, that seemed like a really necessary thing to add so I wanted to make sure I made it obvious :p And yeah, that's true, it would show it off better to have attacks that weren't that before. Like one screenshot showing Hyper Beam as being special/normal while bite is Physical/Dark or something.

Pokedex completion - I'll try to make sure the pokedex can be completed without trading, by combining the grass encounters of Red and Blue and including ways to get trade evo Pokemon without trading and stuff, because I know it can be a pain to link games in an emulator.

Sorry there isn't a demo yet, I'm still making changes to Leaf's overworld sprites right now (part of the reason I don't have trainer graphics at 100% in the completion) and some Pokemon need to have the byte in their stats that tells it which size their picture is fixed. I want to at least wait until those known bugs are fixed before I release a demo :p

EDIT: Here is a new preview video.

Old October 1st, 2014 (09:01 PM).
Bliss

I'm not usually one for memes but..

Spoiler:

I had to. I simply had to.

Anyway, it's looking really good so far! Keep up the great work! :3

Old October 1st, 2014 (09:32 PM).
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Quote originally posted by Prixy:
I'm not usually one for memes but..

Spoiler:

I had to. I simply had to.

Anyway, it's looking really good so far! Keep up the great work! :3
Thanks! And of course, that isn't his real skillset at the start of the game, I just edited it for the video :p

Old October 1st, 2014 (09:50 PM).
Bliss

Hehe, I assumed as much.

Oh, and to verify, I love memes but I VERY rarely will post them in forums xD So yeah.

PS I love Flannery, still my favorite all time gym leader~ "Y-you ca-cannot win!" *beats the crud out of my team* "I-I won? I mean, of course I won!" *blackout* (That's how I think it should have been, that dang Camerupt.. Grovyle can't hack it!)

Old October 1st, 2014 (10:03 PM).
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

I tend to use memes less on forums than I do on like facebook and stuff for some reason too, so I feel ya haha.

(And flannery is definitely best gym leader)

Old October 2nd, 2014 (09:51 AM).
Bliss

Quote originally posted by Mateo:
I tend to use memes less on forums than I do on like facebook and stuff for some reason too, so I feel ya haha.

(And flannery is definitely best gym leader)
Quick question, relating to both of your current WIPs (that I know of)

Which would you say is closer to completion, in terms of man hours, Red++ or Xmas 2014?

Just curious about it. And I need a new meme, something with Vulpix. I should look up some Vulpix memes~

Old October 2nd, 2014 (01:44 PM).
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Hard to say how much is left on Red++ since it is basically a feature update, not a lot of new like events and things (although there will be new events even in Red++ cause I'm planning to add Move Tutors in some places).

Christmas doesn't have a lot left really, it is just more tedious because of having to use multiple editors and all the other stuff that comes with it not being a disassembly lol.

Old October 2nd, 2014 (02:42 PM).
HackChu
I need a haircut...
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Long time, no talk. Its tysonrss, nice to see you're still rom hacking. I think my only problem as of now is that the combination of trainer sprites from all the generations. Seeing the G/S bug catcher sprite than the HG/SS Brock sprite..it just seemed weird, mostly because those sprites are bigger than the GB sprites.

Anyway, everything else is looking good!

My 'learning how to combine battle scripts' thread:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=183001

SoulSilver FC:1162 1864 5409
Name: Ethan

Black FC: 2666 1354 4379
Name: Ashton

White 2 FC: 1120 8065 3049
Name: Nate

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4646-2412
Name: tysonrss
Old October 2nd, 2014 (04:23 PM).
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

I'm trying to only use trainers that are de (or re) vamped to Gen II style, but the trainers aren't all final or anything yet. I don't want it to just be the same trainers as Danny's "Gen II Graphics Patch", but it does have several Gen II trainers for now. I'll probably end up devamping a lot more Fire Red trainers though.

Old October 13th, 2014 (07:58 PM).
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

A little bump to this thread. Here is a list of the moves I've added so far:

Spoiler:

STEEL MOVES
===========
METAL CLAW
BULLET PUNCH
FLASH CANNON
IRON TAIL
METEOR MASH
STEEL WING
IRON DEFENSE

DARK MOVES
==========
CRUNCH
DARK PULSE
FEINT ATTACK
NIGHT SLASH
SUCKER PUNCH

FAIRY MOVES
===========
MOON BLAST
DRAINING KISS
DISARMING VOICE
DAZZLING GLEAM

DRAGON MOVES
============
DRACO METEOR
DRAGON BREATH
DRAGON CLAW
DRAGON PULSE
TWISTER
OUTRAGE

GHOST MOVES
===========
SHADOW CLAW

FLYING MOVES
============
AIR SLASH

FIRE MOVES
==========
FIRE FANG
FLARE BLITZ
BLAST BURN
FLAME WHEEL

ICE MOVES
=========
ICE FANG

ELECTRIC MOVES
==============
THUNDER FANG

WATER MOVES
===========
WATER PULSE
AQUA TAIL
HYDRO CANNON

GRASS MOVES
===========
FRENZY PLANT

That is not a final list or anything, I'm still adding more moves to the game. Those are just the ones I've added so far. When I go in to fix it to where Flare Blitz and Flame Wheel thaw you when you use them, I will try to fix it so thawing out from FRZ works the same as it does in newer gens instead of the stupid Gen I mechanic of "You are just frozen forever unless you have Ice Heal or someone hits you with a fire attack oh ho ho ho ho".

I'm also planning to add an optional difficulty feature which will make Gym Leaders' Pokémon be scaled to your team's level. That way you can't just over train one Pokemon and pwn everyone if you have that option turned on.

Old October 13th, 2014 (10:11 PM).
Bliss

When I go in to fix it to where Flare Blitz and Flame Wheel thaw you when you use them, I will try to fix it so thawing out from FRZ works the same as it does in newer gens instead of the stupid Gen I mechanic of "You are just frozen forever unless you have Ice Heal or someone hits you with a fire attack oh ho ho ho ho".
I lol'd.
I'm also planning to add an optional difficulty feature which will make Gym Leaders' Pokémon be scaled to your team's level. That way you can't just over train one Pokemon and pwn everyone if you have that option turned on.
This sounds.. interesting. Though I'm one of the people who has one OP party member and that's that lol.

Should be fun! Would this also translate to NPC Trainers? Obviously, they would be a few levels below, but I think it would bring far more balance and even a bit more realism to the game. (Though I still dream of the day we can play Pokemon WITHOUT a level system.. high hopes, eh?)

Old October 14th, 2014 (09:54 AM). Edited October 14th, 2014 by Mateo.
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

I'll test it both ways once I get it worked out and see whixh way feels better

EDIT:
Also, I've run into one of those strange bugs that only Red Version could come up with, and so I think I'll go back to focusing more on Christmas until I can figure out what on earth is causing this.

Basically, after a certain point, new move that I've added stop loading the proper names and I currently can't find any logical reason as to why. Everything else about the moves loads properly, but instead of the name stored in the list, they start showing things like "HM01" "HM02" etc for the move name. I don't want to let this stop me from adding moves, so I'll figure it out somehow, but yeah that's a pain right now. Just posting an update to let you guys know what is going on.

EDIT2: Nevermind, thanks to ShantyTown I have the error I mentioned fixed already xD

Old October 15th, 2014 (06:14 AM).
Bliss

I've run into one of those strange bugs that only Red Version could come up with
Hahahaha, made my day.

Reminds me of the breakers I ran into while trying to hack Sapphire a while back.

Keep us posted, and keep up the great work! You really give me something to look forward to each day! :3

Old October 19th, 2014 (08:50 AM). Edited October 19th, 2014 by Mateo.
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

Thought I would post another update here. I've gone through and expanded the list of moves that I plan to add and I *think* it is pretty close to final. Moves with an asterisk(*) in front of them have not been inserted yet, and some moves will require a custom effect of course. Anyway, you can see the list here:

Spoiler:

STEEL MOVES
===========
METAL CLAW ; No extra effect
BULLET PUNCH ; Always goes first
FLASH CANNON ; Chance to lower Special
IRON TAIL ; Chance to lower Def
METEOR MASH ; No extra effect
STEEL WING ; No extra effect
IRON DEFENSE ; Defense Up Twice

DARK MOVES
==========
CRUNCH ; May lower Def
DARK PULSE ; May cause flinching
FEINT ATTACK ; Never misses
NIGHT SLASH ; High crit ratio
SUCKER PUNCH ; Quick attack priority

FAIRY MOVES
===========
MOON BLAST ; May lower special
DRAINING KISS ; Steals HP
DISARMING VOICE ; Never misses
DAZZLINGLEAM ; No extra effect
BABYDOLLEYES ; Lowers target's attack. Has increased priority.
*MOONLIGHT ; Recover effect

DRAGON MOVES
============
DRACO METEOR ; Lowers user's special
DRAGON BREATH ; May paralyze
DRAGON CLAW ; No extra effect
DRAGON PULSE ; No extra effect
TWISTER ; May cause flinching
OUTRAGE ; Hits multiple times, causes confusion

GHOST MOVES
===========
SHADOW CLAW ; No extra effect
SHADOW BALL ; Special down side effect
*HEX ; Doubled base power if foe has stat condition *NEW EFFECT NEEDED*
*SHADOW PUNCH ; Swift effect

FLYING MOVES
============
AIR SLASH ; Flinch 30%
*AERIAL ACE ; Swift effect
*ACROBATICS ; No Additional Effect
*AIR CUTTER ; Increased Crit Ratio

FIRE MOVES
==========
FIRE FANG ; Flinch 10%, also Burn 10% *NEW EFFECT NEEDED*
FLARE BLITZ ; Thaw you out if frozen, then attack
BLAST BURN ; Recharge
FLAME WHEEL ; Burn Chance, Thaws you
*WILL-O-WISP ; Always burns

ICE MOVES
=========
ICE FANG ; Flinch 10% , Freeze 10% *NEW EFFECT NEEDED*
*ICY WIND ; Damage + Speed down
*ICE SHARD ; Increased priority
*SHEER COLD ; OHKO

ELECTRIC MOVES
==============
THUNDER FANG ; Flinch 10% , Paralyze 10% *NEW EFFECT NEEDED*
*ELECTRO BALL ; Requires custom effect to modify base power based on speed
*NUZZLE ; Does damage and always paralyzes
*DISCHARGE ; Paralyze chance 30%
*VOLT TACKLE ; Recoil damage, paralyze chance *NEW EFFECT NEEDED*

WATER MOVES
===========
WATER PULSE ; Confusion chance
AQUA TAIL ; No Extra Effect
HYDRO CANNON ; Recharge
*MUDDY WATER ; Damage + Accuracy down
*WHIRLPOOL ; Traps foe like wrap

GRASS MOVES
===========
FRENZY PLANT ; Recharge
*GIGA DRAIN ; Mega Drain effect
*PETAL BLIZZARD ; No Additional Effect
*LEAF BLADE ; Increased crit ratio
*WOOD HAMMER ; Recoil damage

POISON MOVES
============
*POISON JAB ; Poison side effect 30%
*GUNK SHOT ; Poison side effect 30%
*POISON FANG ; Flinch 10%, Badly Poison side effect 30% *NEW EFFECT NEEDED*
*SLUDGE WAVE ; Poison side effect

BUG MOVES
=========
*SILVER WIND ; Does damage, 10% chance to raise all stats *NEW EFFECT NEEDED*
*BUG BUZZ ; 10% chance to lower opponent's special
*MEGAHORN ; No additional effect
*X-SCISSOR ; No additional effect
*SIGNAL BEAM ; Confusion side effect

GROUND MOVES
============
*EARTH POWER ; Special down side effect
*MUD SLAP ; Damage + Accuracy down
*MUD BOMB ; Damage + Accuracy down

PSYCHIC MOVES
=============
*EXTRASENSORY ; Flinch effect 10%
*ZEN HEADBUTT ; Flinch effect 30%
*PSYCHO CUT ; Increased crit ratio

NORMAL MOVES
============
*HYPER VOICE ; No additional effect
*EXTREMESPEED ; Increased priority
*GIGA IMPACT ; Hyper beam effect

ROCK MOVES
==========
*POWER GEM ; No additional effect
*ROCK BLAST ; Hits multiple times
*ROCK POLISH ; Speed up
*ROCK TOMB ; Lower's opponent's speed

FIGHTING MOVES
==============
*DYNAMIC PUNCH ; Damage + Confusion
*CIRCLE THROW ; Damage + Roar effect *NEW EFFECT NEEDED*
*CROSS CHOP ; Increased crit ratio
*LOW SWEEP ; Damage + Speed down

***Note: You may see a move listed as having "No additional effect" that does have one, such as a higher critical hit chance. Usually in these cases it is because the effect is determined by adding the move to a table, not stored in the move data like a normal effect such as causing a burn. Just ignore that, because I didn't take time to delete my notes.

I have tried to make sure I've added new moves that cover pretty much all of the original 151. Several moves I have intentionally left out, because their effects do not apply to Gen I. So I ignored moves that relied on:
- Pokemon holding an item.
- Pokemon having an ability.
- Pokemon having a gender.
- Being in a Double/Triple/Horde battle.

I do eventually want to look into adding gender and shininess, since those were based on IVs in Gen II and could therefore be ported to Gen I, but I'll look into all of that later. If I do add gender, I may add some additional moves that would involve that of course. But we'll have to see on that. I'm not officially adding Gender and Shininess to the list of planned features yet, just saying it is something I am considering.

Let me know if you see any moves that are not included in the list that you think should be, keeping in mind the criteria for exclusion that I listed above. (Also, there is no point in adding moves that couldn't be learned by Kanto Pokemon).

Old October 20th, 2014 (02:51 PM).
Raiimeister
Kill

Nature: Rash
Will There Be New Items Similar To ShantyTown's Maize? Like The Items That Adds Encounter Rate For Shinies/Higher IVs Etc.
Old October 20th, 2014 (03:18 PM).
gnmmarechal
Hurricane the Blaziken

Hum, I look forward to playing it!
Just out of curiosity, does the name have anything to do with C++? I like C++.

My 3DS Friend Code: 2509-3522-3377
Currently playing (3DS):
Pokémon X, Y, ΩR, αS

Old October 20th, 2014 (03:29 PM).
Mateo
Johto Region Champion

@Raiimeister - I am not currently planning to add things like the Scouter Ring and stuff, because that is Maize's thing and I don't want to just rip him off. It may happen at some point but not a priority.

@gnmmarechal - Yep, the name Red++ came from C++, even though C++ itself has nothing to do with this hack

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links