The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase

Notices

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old August 13th, 2012, 03:10 PM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post

I found this little error here.
Whoops. I just realized I did a bit TOO much cleanup. I also managed to screw up the Trainer Facing Fix. Another update will be out later today to fix it!

EDIT: Urgent update uploaded on the front post.

Changelog:
  • Fixed improper implementation of Trainer Facing Fix.
  • Updated custom fossil Super Nerd text box to not interfere with new GB Player function data.
Sorry about the previous errors guys! Notify me if I went and screwed anything else up.

Last edited by RichterSnipes; August 13th, 2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: New Version Released
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:55 PM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
Will you be doing a patch where the banks are seperate, from what I understand it wouldn't take long and I would really appreciate it

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old August 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
Will you be doing a patch where the banks are seperate, from what I understand it wouldn't take long and I would really appreciate it
Separate? They are already. I think you mean reversed, like you mentioned in your previous post.

I certainly could do that, but, if I do, I want to do it at a strategic point in development on my hack. Once I start making alternate patches, I'll need to maintain each and every one of them, making sure just the right things are added to each one. With new bonuses and fixes to be added into them in the near future, I don't want to split this thing up until I have something a bit more substantial to show.

Once I've updated enough to where I feel fully content with the hack, I'll certainly start providing alternate patches. And, as of right now, I'll make flipped soundbanks second only to an alternate patch that has JUST the GB Player implemented (no other changes to FireRed).

I just don't want to become overwhelmed with micromanagement by splitting this thing so soon.
Old August 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM
pokemonmasteraaron
The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
Sorry for being an idit, but where do you get the gb sounds?
Thanks.
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:18 PM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemonmasteraaron View Post
Sorry for being an idit, but where do you get the gb sounds?
Thanks.
The item is in your room in Pallet Town right at the beginning of the game. You can't miss it.

If you progressed through the game during a previous patch then don't worry, you're probably not the first person to miss it!

EDIT: Good news everyone! I figured out what the proper wave patterns are for the 8-bit tracks! They were located at 0xFF30 in RAM while playing the GameBoy games. I'll have a significant update in the upcoming days.

Last edited by RichterSnipes; August 14th, 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Don't want to double post.
Old August 15th, 2012, 05:08 AM
pokemonmasteraaron
The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
I am blind so I can't find it. Do you think you could give me directions too it?
I wouldn't ask, but it is in the first map isn't it?
Old August 15th, 2012, 03:14 PM
ohsnapkid
Beginning Trainer

Awesome idea and execution! IIRC, there was a recent hack that replaced the sprites of FR/LG with those of Red and Blue -- is there any way you'd be able to incorporate those in?
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:45 AM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnapkid View Post
Awesome idea and execution! IIRC, there was a recent hack that replaced the sprites of FR/LG with those of Red and Blue -- is there any way you'd be able to incorporate those in?
Are you referring to captnotatroll's "Pokemon FireRed Super-Extra-Nostalgic Edition?" If so, I currently do not have plans to include it in my hack. However, so long as the two hacks have no overlapping changed data, you can patch one on top of another to get the desired result.

Regardless, I suggest you wait until my next release of this hack. It will mean a HUGE difference music-wise.
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:27 AM
venomjack

this small little hack is nice to the ears. Wonderful job mate, do you have any plans for this?

By Banner by to123x

Old August 18th, 2012, 11:19 AM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

MAJOR SOUND UPDATE GUYS!

Sorry about that, I’m just really excited to upload my version 2.5 update to this Throwback hack. With the enhancements I made to the music, the recreated 8-bit music in this new version will put my previous effort to shame.

Changelog:
  • All tunes now use their exact, correct “bass” wave instruments from the 8-bit games. The difference for some tracks is almost immediately noticeable.
  • Tunes that used the 256-sample “drum” noise now have it incorporated into the tracks.
  • Not counting the two aforementioned changes, all 8-bit tunes have been tweaked to more accurately reflect their true original counterparts, some more than others.
  • The game no longer freaks out when registering the GB Player to Select and using it from there. Thanks again to Jambo51 for this fix-up of previous ASM code!
  • The two swapped-in GBA tracks for GSC tunes (Sevii/Johto route music and Legendary Battles) have been reverted to their original state. The latter change is permanent, but the former might change back if I can create (or get my hands on) a higher-quality GBA version of the track. Remember that FireRed/LeafGreen is a remake of RGBY, not GSC.

You’ll also see that the update comes in two flavors: Lite and Xtra. The Xtra patch includes all the extra things I’ve had in this hack up until now. In case you forgot what they were, they are the “extra” features listed in the first post.

The Lite patch, on the other hand, changes just enough of the base ROM to include the second, alternate soundbank with 8-bit tracks and add the GB Player item comfortably. Everything else will be the same as it is in the base game. This makes my hack easier to patch over other FireRed hacks and build off of. If you want a pure FireRed experience with 8-bit music or want to venture into the lands of multi-patching, use the Lite patch!

Just one warning
: I cannot guarantee that save states from a previous version of this hack will work with this new version, as all the tracks have shifted their position.

I hope you all enjoy the new release!

To EdensElite:

Considering the goals of this hack, I have decided not to go through with making an alternate patch to switch which soundbank plays first. I don’t want to end up having too many patches to manage at the current time. I am truly sorry if this upsets you.

However, as mentioned before, the switch is an easy one. If you’d like to do it yourself, here is how you do it in a hex editor. If you go to offset 0x880000, you’ll notice a collection of ASM code. This code controls soundbank switching. Now look at the eight bytes starting from 0x880028:

These eight bytes represent the two pointers to the default (GBA) and alternate (8-bit) soundbanks. All you have to do to change their priority is switch the order of them so the 8-bit soundbank is now default. In other words, change the bytes from this:

CC 32 4A 08 00 00 80 08

to this:

00 00 80 08 CC 32 4A 08

and you’ll get your desired result.

If you’d like to also switch when the game
says the 8-bit tracks are On or Off, all you need to do is switch the order of the dialogue boxes in the GB Player item’s script via a script editor. It’s located at 0x7405FF. This change would only be cosmetic, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomjack View Post
this small little hack is nice to the ears. Wonderful job mate, do you have any plans for this?

My main goal with this hack was to provide people with an option to listen to a *relatively* faithful 8-bit soundtrack from the original Pokémon games while playing FireRed. I feel that I have now accomplished this goal, especially with the inclusion of the minimalist Lite patch.

Anything bigger I plan to add to my hack will can be found in the Xtra patch in later updates, but for now it will just include what has already been there. I’d like to branch out into other areas of editing to make the game more nostalgic, such as graphics editing. I’ll also try to find ways to make the experience more convenient to the player. This includes 251-ing the hack, removing annoyances, or maybe something even bigger!
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:29 PM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
Thank you for such in-depth knowledge on the area, I really appreciate it

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
Old August 18th, 2012, 06:32 PM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
Thank you for such in-depth knowledge on the area, I really appreciate it
No problem, I figured it was the least I could do for not including a patch for it in this release. I hope anyone else who wants to do this catches on to this mini-tutorial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemonmasteraaron View Post
I am blind so I can't find it. Do you think you could give me directions too it?
I wouldn't ask, but it is in the first map isn't it?
Sorry for not getting back to this earlier. Yes, it is in your room, the area you start the game in. It's directly to the right of your PC. From where you start, you'd take three steps to the left, then another four upwards. Take one more step to the left and face up, then press A to get your GB Player. Since it's the beginning of the game it should be the first (and only) thing in your Key Items pocket.

Make sure you do it on the most recent release, of course! I've gotten the tracks sounding better in it. In fact, Pallet Town's music is now just about identical to the original!
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:34 AM
WillPowerPedro
https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson

Nature: Jolly
Looks awesome. I love pretty much all of Pokemon music so this hack is right up my alley!

I just released a few albums a couple days ago. If you go to my tumblr, there are links there!
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Gold011

this may be a bug, but i'm playing this hack on psp, i used the xtra patch, and when catching a pidgey (and other pokemon i think) on route 1 with the 8 bit music on, the game freezes, and now i tried with the gb player off and now the game doesn't freezes, this is strange, since with a previous version i managed to catch pokemon with the 8 bit music on...
Old August 20th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Luigi-San
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Luigi-San Send a message via Skype™ to Luigi-San
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold011 View Post
this may be a bug, but i'm playing this hack on psp, i used the xtra patch, and when catching a pidgey (and other pokemon i think) on route 1 with the 8 bit music on, the game freezes, and now i tried with the gb player off and now the game doesn't freezes, this is strange, since with a previous version i managed to catch pokemon with the 8 bit music on...
I'm having the same problem (albeit using VBA rather than playing on a PSP). Catching a Pokemon with the GB Player on freezes the game, but it works fine with the GB Player off. That's a major bug.

<--- Level these up!

<--- Join us!
Old August 20th, 2012, 07:01 PM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi-San View Post

I'm having the same problem (albeit using VBA rather than playing on a PSP). Catching a Pokemon with the GB Player on freezes the game, but it works fine with the GB Player off. That's a major bug.
I apparently accidentally compiled another song on top of the "Wild Pokémon Caught" jingle, which would be causing the crashing issue. Truly sorry guys! I didn't expect to leave such a stupid error in the hack. Makes me feel stupid myself.

New version is up everyone, please download it to get rid of this bug!

Changelog:
  • Recompiled "Wild Pokémon Caught" jingle properly to stop the game from crashing when it is supposed to play. Thanks to Gold011 for pointing this out!
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:22 AM
LightOfTruth
Likes Hacks and Official Games

If would be great if the owner of this hack added the GB player item:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...09759&posted=1

If you look at the hack, You can see why it would go together :D

Get some Sims 3 stuff now

Old August 21st, 2012, 04:56 PM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOfTruth View Post
If would be great if the owner of this hack added the GB player item:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...09759&posted=1

If you look at the hack, You can see why it would go together :D
If you use my Lite patch with that one, you can get both working in tandem and have an extreme nostalgia trip! I don't know if either of us will ever apply the other's hack onto theirs, but at least you can do it yourself easily as-is.
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Well, it's been awhile. Life's been getting in the way from me doing anything significant with my hack. However, I have been able to fix a couple of minor things with the music.

Along with making things a bit more accurate for a couple of tunes, this new update fully establishes a previously used voice table as the dedicated 8-bit voice table. This will help in case this hack ends up being better fit as a base for other hacks.

Get the update in the 1st post. As the changelog will show, this isn't really anything major, but it does help for possible future plans. Enjoy!

Changelog:
  • Fixed Link Battle music tune's inaccuracies.
  • Fixed an inaccuracy in the Route 1/2 8-bit music.
  • Adjusted the RSE battle music voice table to fully accommodate those tunes. Now the voice table at 0x8B8B8 has been fully repurposed for the 8-bit tracks.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:49 AM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Wow. :D A GB player for Fire Red? Awesome! :D I've just started playing, and while I usually don't play any of the Sideshow Hacks, this seems really promising. I also like all the extra features too. :D

Pokémon Aureolin

Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:09 AM
LCCoolJ95
Limited Capacity

Nature: Naive
You know, I would love this if it was used for Pokemon Liquid Crystal. Now that...that would be something worth downloading...
Old September 23rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

I'm happy to see all you guys enjoying this hack! Today I've got another update, and this one's a biggie for two reasons. The first is an internal overhaul, which is something that only I will notice...unless anyone bothers to actually look at the patched ROM in a hex editor.

The other is more important to everyone using the hack. I've redid how the two patches work, and now the GB Player and extra features are separated into two (mostly) independent patches. The GB Player patch contains the 8-bit music, while the extras gives you the features listed under Extras in the first post. This lets you enjoy them separately and use them to build different future hacks off of.

You can still use the two in tandem if you wish. If you do, however, MAKE SURE TO APPLY THE EXTRAS PATCH FIRST, THEN THE GB PLAYER PATCH (there's already a reminder on the first post). If you don't, the GB Player won't appear in your room, as both patches introduce changes in events on that map.

Of course, that would mean that doing it in this order has its own side effect, but it's normally unnoticeable. If you want to find it, here's a blatant hint: It's like the Ghost PC in the hotel in Celadon City in Red/Blue!

Changelog
  • Overhauled the implementation of all things in the hack, removing all leftover code, organizing everything, and simplifying everything in the process. Now you can use both the GB Player and extra features along with captnotatroll's Super-Extra-Nostalgic patch if you want (remember to apply the patches in proper order)!
  • Better spread out the locations of wild Pokémon in the game. See if you can notice any nods to locations of Pokémon in games besides the international Red and Blue!
  • Changed the GB Player item overworld sprite, overwriting an unused Deoxys overworld sprite. The way it was before, something else in the game also looked like a GameBoy. Did anyone find out what it was?
  • Returned two trees to the Berry Forest that disappeared due to the old, very sloppy Tree code. It's now really efficient and and allows for more to be added!
  • Made your rival's dialogue on Four Island more resemble the original encounter there. Along with that, I fixed an issue with a disappearing Doduo there...pesky thing.
From this point onwards, I'll let anyone use either patch (or both) for their own hacks. Just make sure to give credit to me if you do so.

I hope you guys keep enjoying this hack! For now, I'm going to take a break with it, but I'll return to it sometime with a new focus.
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM
Hobusu
Ultimate Mono-type Challenger

Nature: Quirky
MIND = BLOWN

Every time I read something more about this, I was more impressed by it.
This is so good that you've earned the honor of having my first post on PC in ages.

By the way, if I were to apply your music patch, your extras patch, and captnotatroll's Super-Extra-Nostalgia patch all on one ROM, what order would the patches be applied in?
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:29 PM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobusu View Post
MIND = BLOWN

Every time I read something more about this, I was more impressed by it.
This is so good that you've earned the honor of having my first post on PC in ages.

By the way, if I were to apply your music patch, your extras patch, and captnotatroll's Super-Extra-Nostalgia patch all on one ROM, what order would the patches be applied in?
Thanks for the support! And I'll be happy to have that honor . All I really want with this hack (or hacks) is to create something that others will be able to include for any future hacks that might come. Obviously my main focus as of now has been on the GB Player end and making the classic tracks as authentic as possible with GB Synth instruments, but I'm happy to provide other sound patches as necessary.

As for patching, it shouldn't matter when you apply captnotatroll's normal patch. All that matters is that you apply the Extras patch before the GB Player patch.

Well guys, I lied when I said I was taking a break. I actually have made a lot of progress with the patches since my last post, including a few small-yet-significant touches to a few tunes. However, I've ran into a problem.

In trying to *SOUNDLY* put in all 251 of the GB(C) era Pokémon, I've created new scripted battles for a few legendaries. The problem? They play the R/S/E trainer battle music when battled, which completely breaks immersion in the game.

Now here's the issue. I found out that I could use the ASM routine first used in Shiny Gold to switch out the tracks used in any instance, including scripted battles. The issue? It would break compatibility with the GB Player entirely. I'm contemplating on what to do next, as this is a serious issue for everyone's interests.

I'm going to make a poll concerning this issue concerning how I should approach this, as there are several paths I can take. I hope I get enough of an opinion from everyone for me to make an ultimate decision on this, because I am in need of input here! The stress of this predicament is honestly making me want to stop hacking Pokémon games altogether. I hope that won't happen for a little while!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:40 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
How are you implementing the legendary battles? If you're using special 0x137 (or whatever it is), I may be able to help. You see, this special has its own set aside music loader, which I have a hack created for. I can't access the code right now (I'm on my phone), but I assure you it works, and it would not interfere with the GBP insert locations. I can't help if you're using wildbattle, as opposed to set wildbattle + special 0x137.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here