The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:19 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPowerPedro View Post
But still, don't think some people would be offended? It would be unlikely, but who knows how someone could react to their children learning a completely different religion. I mean, what if their kid got into the religion? Once again, super unlikely, but possible.

And at my school, we learned religions and how they work, we learned Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.
The only way that can happen is if they agree with the philosophy and are convicted to learn it. How most households work only one religion is ever described in detail and other religions are deemed as "evil". This is how children of catholic families turn atheist - they find a religion that they believe is true. There is no stopping them - that is their destiny. They deem that to be true, but you have kept the realities away from them. You have done all you could to prevent that from happening, but don't. You're just wasting time and effort by doing that.

This holds true even in Christianity. It is said that if you are here for worldly reasons, that we don't want you here at all, for your own good and to save you lots of time. But if you come back with a desire to learn about Christ, no matter how screwed up you are, you could have given up all hope of salvation and you don't even care, but we will still allow you in.

Old August 8th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Kanto_Johto
Never glimpse the truth

Nature: Bold
No, it absolutely should not be mandatory in the same way that History, Geography and other subjects similar are not mandatory. Mathematics, Science and English Language/Literature should be mandatory only, since these are applicable in everyday life regardless of career choice.

When I was at school, we were forced to take half a GCSE in RE (yeah, how pointless is that?), and I still believe that it was wrong for it to be compulsory. Some people like myself don't believe in the madness that some religions teach, so why should we have to learn about why others do believe in their religions and how this influences the actions they take?

I'm tolerant of those who are religious because I believe that they have the right to believe whatever they want to, as long as they don't attempt to force it onto anyone else. Not because school taught me to be tolerant.

Also, in response to the evolution argument, some aspects of evolution are scientifically factual, so to disregard it as a whole is ignorant, in my opinion.

Last edited by Kanto_Johto; August 8th, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Snowdrop
Throw a blanket over it!

Nature: Jolly
Should it be mandatory? No-diddly. Should it be available as a class to pick? Sure, why not.

That's my simple take on it lol.
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:57 AM
WillPowerPedro
https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerang1 View Post
What type of controversial reason do you mean?
There is alot of reasons. Such as Islam controversy or bullying. AND LISTEN. I have nothing against the religion (Islam), but others do, that is why I am listening it. Other than that I am not sure. I never really looked into it, but people say controversial reasons and stuff. Sorry if I am not providing all the info you want. I don't know alot on the matter.

I just released a few albums a couple days ago. If you go to my tumblr, there are links there!
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Soar
n00b

Nature: Lonely
I dont think it should be mandatory. Maybe they could make it like an elective, or other class. But it shouldn't be forced upon you. I live in the USA so (1) It goes against Freedom of Religion. and (2) It could promote bullying because some kids take it and some kids don't.
But if you really wanted to learn about that, they have private schools for that (at least they have christian private schools)
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Esper

Does learning about religions in such detail make a person more understanding or help them in any way? Isn't it enough that students are taught religions exist as part of their history and social studies classes? Shouldn't the fact that people are taught to respect others be enough? (I'm asking these questions seriously.)

'Cuz it just seems to me that if you have to go into all this detail just to make sure people aren't going to be prejudiced then you've got some bigger prejudice problem going on that should be dealt with first. I can see how it would help some people because you would teach them "These people don't believe the same things you do, but they're still moral because they still believe." At least I've seen discussions go this way, the "all religions are equal" way. Which I'm not saying is bad, but it does nothing to help stop prejudice against non-religious people or stop intolerance that's based against someone's race or sexuality. For instance, right after 9/11 there were not a small number of people attacked and/or killed because they had darker skin. As I recall most weren't even Muslim.

It just seems kinda secondary on the whole scale of tolerance and/or learning about history/the world. Like, everything you could take away from a class on religions you could get from classes that are already in place.

deviantart blog pair
Old August 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Scarf, we're not talking about having it as a whole seperate class necessarily. We're just saying, should we incorporate that into school?

For example, a few posts back I listed all the religious stuff we had to learn in History in middle school (which was mandatory btw) and I think that is sufficient for a RE class.

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
I don't believe that Religious Education should be a mandatory class.

If it were to be taught from a completely neutral and un-biased standpoint, though, I would have absolutely no problem to see it as an elective course in either high school or college/university, and I might have even taken it over another Social Studies course like History or Geography. It would be interesting to learn about differences and similarities between different faiths, and as long as it was a course that isn't imposed on someone, it would be a good idea.
Old August 12th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Digimon Kaiser
White and Nerdy

Nature: Adamant
As an Atheist... My answer is No. Just... No! This isn't a theocracy like some of you said above me!
Old August 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

It's not about whether you believe in it or not. We already do this to some extent anyways (at least California does), so I wouldn't say that we're exactly promoting a "theocracy".

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here