The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:15 AM
khkramer

More original stories instead of the standard "you're ten years old and receive your pokemon from the professor"

Check out the MMORPG I'm developing:

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old August 10th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Dragonite Ernston
I rival Lance's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkroman View Post
Maybe the game could make up a way to explain why a trainer can only have 6 pokemon on them at one time, not just because it's "the rules" or "it's for strategic and balancing reasons." Puhhhleeease.
The game designer and mathematician in me says, if you want to test this rule, why not try creating a game where the trainer is not limited to six? How about, say, seven.

With the caveat, of course, that the game is still balanced based upon a team of six.
Old August 11th, 2012, 09:38 PM
TheAgentBrandon
Togepi

Nature: Timid
To be honest since I'm a HUGE fan of the anime my dream game would be having that story-line in each region he's completed so far. And not only does this game consist of you playing as Ash but also the people he traveled with or even his rivals! Playing as characters like Misty until she's a gym leader, Brock to the end of Sinnoh, Gary until he's a researcher, and so on.. Kind of got that idea inspired by games like Sonic Adventure and stuff. I think that would be an extremely great game. It wouldn't happen, but hey I can dream can't I? haha. I also wouldn't mind the same thing involving the manga. Just saying. I mean come on Dragon Ball Z can get 15+ games released with the same story-line (I'm a fan and all but come on!) but the Pokemon Anime can't get 1?! Ridiculous!
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Yamiidenryuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAgentBrandon View Post
To be honest since I'm a HUGE fan of the anime my dream game would be having that story-line in each region he's completed so far. And not only does this game consist of you playing as Ash but also the people he traveled with or even his rivals! Playing as characters like Misty until she's a gym leader, Brock to the end of Sinnoh, Gary until he's a researcher, and so on.. Kind of got that idea inspired by games like Sonic Adventure and stuff. I think that would be an extremely great game. It wouldn't happen, but hey I can dream can't I? haha. I also wouldn't mind the same thing involving the manga. Just saying. I mean come on Dragon Ball Z can get 15+ games released with the same story-line (I'm a fan and all but come on!) but the Pokemon Anime can't get 1?! Ridiculous!
Well, there's Pokemon Yellow... That being said, while Dragonball is an anime first and the games are based on that anime, the Pokemon anime is based on the games... so a game of the anime would be, well, a game based on an anime based on a game. Not that they haven't done that with the TCG (which makes it a game based on a game based on a game...).

I think there's a few fangames kicking around based on the anime's plot. I've seen a FireRed ROM hack, anyway.

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old September 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM
DOA_Hitomi
Deadly Rocket Executive

Nature: Lax
Personally, In my fan Game. I would like to replace all of the HMs with Key Items, and Make all TMs reusable like in the 5th Generation games. lol
Charcoal Studios - Official Blog
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Matsjo
How Does I Pokéballer

Nature: Calm
I'd like to see Pokéballs replaced by ApriBalls. Players have to collect the Apricorns themselves and hand them over to craftspeople who make them into Balls for a fee.

The ApriBalls have different functions and aren't differentiated by power (so Fast Ball, Lure Ball instead of Great Ball, Ultra Ball).

This Fan game element should take place in a Poképast.

I almost agree with DOA_Hitomi, but would take it further; remove HMs and implement Key Skills that the player picks up over the game, some of which are only usable with a compatible Pokémon in the team (Teleport, Fly). Players get the Skills from Skill Tutors. And I'd remove TMs entirely and replace them with Move Tutors that cover áll teachable moves (for a price).

Multiple regions are needless, raising the level cap is unnecessary and would be more hassle than its worth. Even two regions is too much for most stories, simply fleshing out a single region enough will do a much better job of providing a fun experience with a proper flow.
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Ookiiushidesu
Lead Mapper/Eventer at Gen0

Send a message via Skype™ to Ookiiushidesu
hmmm..... I'm gonna put my dollar (I have more than two-cents here XD ) in here.

Being a developer of a fangame, and having played multiple fangames of Pokemon and other games, I totally agree with the person who said don't be too ambitious. In Gen0 we're only going to have two regions (you can explore the Orange Islands), and that is going to be very hard to pull off correctly by itself. Making 5 regions would be hell.

However, it very well could be done. There's a couple key-points people are totally looking over and not bringing up.

1.) The level-cap increase.
People are saying this would be problematic due to levels learned and evolutions. This can be solved in two ways. One, if you're increasing the level cap from 100 to 200 (or 300. 500 would be farrrrr too much), that doubles the levels, or triples it. Then you would simply double or triple the evolution requirements and the move-learning requirements.

Secondly, evolutions. Not -one- person here, that I've seen, has commented on the evolution dynamic of these games. Pokemon is generally centered around 1-2 evolutions at -max-. What if you were to give pokemon 3 evolutions, or even 4? Every pokemon could have the "baby" version, then the normal basic 1st and 2nd evolution, but then maybe even a third. (Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Fulchu-fulgor, latin for lightning, idk lol))

This would add a new level of growth and playability. Scale down the stats some, make it balanced, and you have a ton of more content for working with your pokemon.

Also, cross-breeding.

2.) The general flow of the games

Maruno touched on this slightly, I believe. I think someone else did as well. Multiple regions could easily be done (not the amount of work needed, but the balance part) by just changing how the flow of the game works.

In normal games, you start off in home-town and (mostly) linearly travel through and collect your badges. In GS's case, once you defeat the elite four, you move on to the next region collect those badges and get that Elite four.

What's stopping you from making a Morrowind style game? You could pick a region and you would have a starting point in each one to get you going. You could then have access to the entire region, with very little inhibiting your travels. Some regions could have level 50 pokemon a few towns away from lv 5s, and some could have level 80s near where you'd find 30's. If you're increasing the cap it actually lends to help with this dynamic.
With this it would actually kind of force you to travel to -other- regions before fully exploring the one you're on so you can find Pokemon to match your levels.

3.) Starting Fresh
If you go with my aforementioned Morrowind style Pokemon game, you can use a portion of this to your advantage. Let's say the Pokemon world is a little more customs-related.
An elite four certificate would be kind of like a visa. Before you beat the elite four, let's say you can only take like 3 pokemon with you to another region. Maybe they don't want different species into their region (each region does have it's own set of pokemon. Maybe Unova doesn't want Pikachu breeding with their pokemon) Or even better yet, some regions prohibit Pokemon of certain levels, genders, types(fire water etc) or just the fact that the pokemon couldn't be held in their system, so you can't deposit any from another region into their PCs.

This would make you strategically place your team more. If you start in Kanto, you have a team of six and go to Sinnoh, you can't deposit your Charizard Tangela Vaporeon or whatever in Sinnoh's PC so you only take a few with. Maybe the Elite Four certificate could have technology embedded in it where it brings the system up-to-date with your pokemon. Have it work along-side your pokedex so the PCs from different regions can deposit your Pokemon.

This would make it less of

start in this region, power up, move on
go to this region, continue to power up, move on
etc.

It would make you travel more, put more strategy in your teams, etc.

Also, what if there are criminal organizations which succeed in stealing your Pokemon? let's say you keep all of your pokemon in the PC, and they manage to attack that center, they could steal your pokemon. they could run to another region so you have to go there to find them.

Use the story to take you to new regions, and not complete it fully before moving on.

I think this could easily fix that issue. Granted, it would be a HORRIBLE amount of work, but it would be doable.

I'm with most on saying 1-2 regions would be doable.

Without trading or battling, we at Gen0 are going to focus on end-game content more and making the story itself harder. We want the story itself to take you to into the 80s or so for levels without an extreme amount of grinding.

But yeah. That's my thoughts on the all-region thing.

What I want to see in a fan-game is thought and dedication. Like they were saying earlier, if you're making a full fakemon game, don't make super pokemon all over. Give it a good progression. Make more story involved, don't be lazy with the mapping(I hate how all the trees are symmetrical) and keep the players in mind more than your initial kid-at-a-toy-store's desires.
Old September 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM
dewdott
Gym Leader Joseph

Nature: Brave
alot of action i think there should be alot more like pokemon black that was a good game
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM
TheDarkShark
Metal Headed Hacker

Ooookaay, having read the whole thread, mostly laughing at people for various reasons (mostly stupidity and stubborness...) and thinking about how I used to play Pokémon, comparing it with the types of games I play nowadays, I think it's my turn to post, eh?

Most important thing first: some kind of replay-value. If you have a split story line, and even different beginnings to choose from, you're already good to go. I'm not speeking of choosing a starter here, it's more like having the player answer the question "As who do you want to play?" more precisely than "A girl (if even possible)?". Take Dragon Age: Origins as an example: you can not only make your character look the way you want - which also is NOT what I'm talking about here - you choose a race (human, elve, or dwarve), a class (warrior, rogue or mage), and depending on that, you may choose from 1-3 different so-called origins (there's six in total, by the way). Let's say you - like me in my first playthrough - picked the elven rogue; You could the choose whether to start as an elf in the slums or as a so-called 'Dalish elf', basically an exiled elf, living in the forest, in piece with both nature and his clan (it's less clicheé than that, I'm just trying to have you guys understand it).
Let's try to apply this principle to the Pokémon franchise! Assuming you make the player pick a trainer class or something, you could - depending on the class they picked - offer a couple of different introductions to the story. And this is just one possibility, you could also add some kind of random factor, like in the Megaman Battle Network series (I only played the 4th one, but c'mon), even though this might put off some players. Split story lines and decision-based sidequests are other, more common means of adding a replay value. Unlocking higher difficulty-levels or other bonus-features might as well be interesting.
This one - also inspired by Dragon Age - is less practicable for Pokémon games, but I'll put it down anyways: Assuming the player only has a limited amount of... let's just call it "time" for now ...to get to know the important characters, they might want to know about the others, playing the game again, just to get that done. On my first run of DA:O, I played with the party of Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana, like anyone else would have done on the first run. Heck, I even killed Wynne before she joined the party, just not to piss Morrigan off, since I was trying to achieve a romance with her... anyway: I used Oghren a bit, because he's funny, but on my second run (female, human mage btw. ) I tried Oghren, Sten and Zevran. That also was pretty awesome.

Next on my agenda: A moving, hooking and all in all interesting story line. This also involves interesting characters; Even though DA's story wasn't all that creative, it was inscenated almost perfectly. The characters, most of them ready to meet death, had me shaking during the final dialogues, the boss fight got my heart beating like hell and the bad guy really made me hate him, want to kick his FKN ass and yes, rip his head off - something not many games (except for Bulletstorm, maybe) have achieved.

3rd: Getting rid of random encounters. I know, it's one of the most essential things people mentally connect with Pokémon, but let's face it: it pisses almost all the players off in one way or another. Some kind of randomness and reaccessibility (is that an actual word? o.O) to the battles might not be so bad, not allowing the player to "clear" an area, however, just makes me sick.

Finally: Huge worlds not worth exploring. If the player is not rewarded with a cool item, funny dialogue, or at least a beautiful view, they will just get upset and stop 'experiencing' the world you created for him. They will simply start 'skipping through it' on the fastest routes, avoid any unnecessary backtracking and so on. What good is a large world to explore if there isn't even a reason to do so? One way to handle this is to get rid of the Routes as they are in the Pokémon games by implementing a world map where the player can choose where to travel to. Depending on what road they travel on, you can still have some form of random encounter (those shouldn't be like REs in the Pokémon games, rather like a 'on the road'-map, with an event the player might do once, or something like that).

Well, I think that's pretty much all I can think of right now. To sum it up: I don't like to be annoyed by a game, I want to be entertained. The line is very fine, yet graduent.

Old September 13th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Kikyana
Beginning Trainer

I So Agree On The Fact That We Should Get Ourselves Out Of The Cliche Story Of,

'Hey, I'm a 10 year-old, getting my new pokemon, going on a never-ending journey to defeat all gyms within the region, thwart an evil organization along the way while I'm at it, and defeat the Pokemon League Champion, all the while keeping ahead of my local rival. '

I would really like to just have more friends in the game, really

Cause I Find that our main character is always lonely with his 6 in-hand pokemon, going on the journey alone. Not that I want the Hero's mom to tag along or anything like that XD , but What I'm saying is, more of friends who happens to be able to help us. Say, a friend who is a pokemon ranger. They can help in battles and probably, you wouldn't need to battle all the time.

#1 Hopeless Boss Fights
I wonder if anyone has ever tried putting in one of those 'Must lose' battles.
Whereby, you must lose, and they normally let it happen at the start of the story, like getting pummeled right away and losing. That one would be a shocker for sure, and would add to the angst much needed in our O-so too happy, pokemon world. Normally that happens at the beginning of the game, cause you're a low level and all that, and they put a level 100 right in front of you, with Awesome stats, just to get you to surrender the first try.....

We're always winning everyone we meet in the game,

(except unless you get beaten in a battle by a stronger trainer, but technically that all depends on whether if you're lazy or not to train your pokemon, and even if you do lose after training them, you can always save back and the battle loss would have been long forgotten.....)

That we seem to forget the whole thrill of actually losing and actually have the world be put into dire danger for once, cause we as the heroes are always saving the day. So it's nice to lose for a change, but not meaninglessly of course, make it touching and I'll probably fall for your game XD

#2 Different Goals Or Main Plot
Yeah, we're all clear on the fact that everyone is alright with being a 10-year-old who saves the day, EVERYDAY. But I'm sure no one would complain if someone changed destiny, and decided that we should be doing something else instead of being the strongest pokemon trainer in the world. Most people should be thrilled to try the game. More rivals would heat things up too in my opinion, Lol~ Cause One ain't enough ahaha~ Maybe you can be the villain instead XD

Last edited by Kikyana; September 13th, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:40 AM
TheMrQuit
Egg: It's going to hatch soon!

Nature: Lax
What i would like to see from a pokemon game is something unique in the first place. If i just have to play a normal pokemon game, i could just play the original ones. I would like for example a good story or strange gameplay mechanics.
I don't really care if there aren't all the 649 pokemon or all the characters from the previous games. I'd like less, but better done, because i always see big projects and i know most of them won't be finished or they'll be rushed. Good luck to everyone who is making a fan game!

Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:01 PM
poke-world
Booted out - don't be like me!

It makes more sense that you have your Pokemon evolved by the time you head out to the next region, and I see no problem with this, since all of the trainers on the next region will have their Pokemon fully evolved and match your level. So, actually, it is as simple as bumping up the level, if you don't want to put that much work into it. Not only that, but increasing the amount of exp gain to the next level could easily throw that problem away.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
FirEmerald
Pokemon reverse engineer

...is a player that can actual jump!
it's so weird that you can jump onto a flying pokemon or a surfing pokemon, but when your walking, your feet never leave the ground!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
UnderMybrella
Some Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirEmerald View Post
it's so weird that you can jump onto a flying pokemon or a surfing pokemon, but when your walking, your feet never leave the ground!
Defying the basics of Pokémon are we?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
Yamiidenryuu

Quote:
Obviously, you'll need a Pokemon that knows Bounce before you can jump in the overworld. Just jump on its back and... no, wait a moment.

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
FirEmerald
Pokemon reverse engineer

Ha, ha. very funny. I just think it's weird how the player can jump onto pokemon, hop on the acro bike, jump off one platform to another in the distortion world, and hop off ledges, yet can't even manage a single pixel otherwise.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
One thing that bothers me:
In the majority of fangames, people don't edit the Pokemon's stats/movepool/abilities etc. Making it almost identical to playing the official games. Just a few changes could make a game a lot more interesting. Heck, even just changing the Pokedex entries or move descriptions would make a game more fun to play for me. (It actually seems like something new that way)

Some other things I like to see are:

less linearity; Multiple routes to get through a town, an increase in fieldmoves (HMs) so there are multiple ways to get through a cave or something.

I'll post more when I think of other things.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
the__end
Pixel Artist

Quote:
Ha, ha. very funny. I just think it's weird how the player can jump onto pokemon, hop on the acro bike, jump off one platform to another in the distortion world, and hop off ledges, yet can't even manage a single pixel otherwise.
well its a game where you make giant monsters into slaves with little balls...
do not expect much realism there... <.<
maybe it bothers you that you cant go to the toilet as well? :D
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
UnderMybrella
Some Game Developer

Quote:
He doesn't jump off ledges, he falls off them in style, but other that that yeah... Bit sad really...

Then again, this game we're talking about has a pidgin, like pidgey, can learn FLY.. ever looked at the size comparison between pidgey and player???

Also, I want 3-type's in a Pokémon. And cross-evolution. Like, if a lvl 100 venusaur, lvl 100 charizard and lvl 100 blastoise are in your party, they are all removed and a lvl 1 Blastisaur is now there. Water, Fire and Grass. No evo's
Old October 4th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglican View Post
Also, I want 3-type's in a Pokémon. And cross-evolution. Like, if a lvl 100 venusaur, lvl 100 charizard and lvl 100 blastoise are in your party, they are all removed and a lvl 1 Blastisaur is now there. Water, Fire and Grass. No evo's
We already have Fusion Digivolution. It's called Kyurem. And it's a bad idea.
Old October 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Cilerba
the hearts of lonely people
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
It'd be neat to see a Pokémon game that has an open world. It'd be pretty great to not have to stick to the storyline and roam around.

| relic castle - coming soon |
Old October 5th, 2012, 12:11 PM
UnderMybrella
Some Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
We already have Fusion Digivolution. It's called Kyurem. And it's a bad idea.
Yeah... the Blastisaur was a bad idea. But I think 3 types would allow for greater creativity in games.
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

A harder game to crack, seriously I can crack 90% of games here in 2 minutes. (if that)

You know like maybe encrypt the save I mean anyone can just put the save into an editable version of essentials and completely hack pokemon and items into it.
Old October 6th, 2012, 08:32 AM
the__end
Pixel Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansiec View Post
A harder game to crack, seriously I can crack 90% of games here in 2 minutes. (if that)

You know like maybe encrypt the save I mean anyone can just put the save into an editable version of essentials and completely hack pokemon and items into it.
well its your decision if you crack it or not...
just do it if you want to ruin the fun or make it to easy...
if the game is not multiplayer its not the developers problem if you cheat...
Old October 6th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Umbreon
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the__end View Post
well its your decision if you crack it or not...
just do it if you want to ruin the fun or make it to easy...
if the game is not multiplayer its not the developers problem if you cheat...
I am actually pointing something out, I don't really even bother downloading games let alone cheat, but either way you are right.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links