The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

View Poll Results: Do you prefer having the follow me feature compared to not having it?
Yes! 33 76.74%
No! 5 11.63%
I'm on the fence on this one! 0 0%
I enjoy playing with and without the feature! 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 1st, 2012 (06:10 PM).
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Brave
With the release of HGSS, we were given a handy new feature, something that we really had only been able to use in the main series of games in Pokemon Yellow for the GBC. The follow me feature. This feature allowed the first member of our party to follow us. We were also given the ability to check up on our pokemon, but clicking them -- finding what their current mood is or if they've picked up anything useful, like a decoration item or a golden leaf! But my main question here is; did you prefer the follow me feature over having your pokemon confined only in their pokeballs? If you could choose between having and not having the follow me feature, which would you choose?

I would definitely opt for having the follow me feature. I was really disappointed when it didn't return in the 5th generation games, since I really enjoyed checking up on my team members and finding useful little items.
Old September 1st, 2012 (06:20 PM).
PikachuAddict
Mime Jr.

Nature: Naughty
I liked the Follow Me feature alot. And I really wish they had included it in Gen V, but it seems like that was a once off feature, so we'll probably never see it outside of HG/SS.
Old September 1st, 2012 (10:20 PM).
curiousnathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikachuAddict View Post
I liked the Follow Me feature alot. And I really wish they had included it in Gen V, but it seems like that was a once off feature, so we'll probably never see it outside of HG/SS.
Which is quite a shame considering I've seen a lot of people here really enjoy it! Including myself!
Old September 1st, 2012 (10:51 PM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
It really wasn't "new" as it was the main attraction of Pokemon Yellow, and a feature in D/P/Pt's Amity Square.

No I really disliked it. It was a pointless addition that served little purpose game wise other than aesthetic. All they tried to do was polish Gold and Silver and that was pretty much all they could come up with for aethetics other than updating graphics to fourth gen engine.

I didn't care it wasn't added Gen 5 since it was pretty useless, and really hope it doesn't return. If they want to make new features, at least make them more usable, like not having to button mash while in Pokemon Centers or cutting down the visual displays for Overworld HM use.
Old September 1st, 2012 (11:01 PM).
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I liked it, it was a neat feature to have a Pokemon follow you even if it wasn't a new concept. I kind of wish you were able to choose what Pokemon could follow you instead of it being the first one. I want them to bring it back, but I'm not sure how likely that will be.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old September 2nd, 2012 (01:21 AM).
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I liked the feature, cos I love interacting with my Pokemon.

Even though they removed it in B/W, I still played it. I also think that the "follow me" feature should be reintroduced in future generations.
Old September 2nd, 2012 (06:33 AM).
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
It was one of my favorite features in hgss... sad that they removed it, cuz it would have been interesting to see all of the unova pokemon follow u and all. loved it. but i suppose that many pokemon would be hard to fit into it...
Old September 2nd, 2012 (06:52 AM).
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I loved it.
I was really annoyed/disappointed when I found out it wasn't in B/W and B2/W2.
Hopefully it'll return at some point in the series. Please?

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Little Big Planet 3

☆ Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Shovel Knight

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old September 2nd, 2012 (07:35 AM).
zephyr6257
Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)

WEEELL, when I play Pokémon, I like making it into a story. I don't just jam my buttons grinding my Pokémon's levels, but I focus on the story itself, to the point of giving them different personalities, and sometimes, when I feel quite off, I talk out loud, going like "GO SERPERIOOOOR! LEAF TORNADOOOO!" and everybody stares at me

So, when they added that to HG/SS (i have both), I was like so happy. That was my favorite feature in Pokémon Yellow (Yellow was my favorite pokemon game back then), and it added even more story-ness to eet! I DEFINITELY LOVED IT.

I half-died when I played Black for the first time, when my wonderful Snivy didn't follow me :<
Old September 2nd, 2012 (12:19 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

No. Even though Yellow was my favorite game up until that point, I felt like it didn't make much sense to have Pokémon following you. Now, if you could catch a Pokémon and after you catch it, it would be like "This Pokémon doesn't like being confined in a Pokéball." and then it releases itself from it and follows you around that way, I would have liked it a lot more. But for the reason they gave for following you around? I didn't like it at all. It was actually kind of annoying, and completely unnecessary...
Old September 2nd, 2012 (01:04 PM).
Ice Car
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
It really wasn't "new" as it was the main attraction of Pokemon Yellow, and a feature in D/P/Pt's Amity Square.

No I really disliked it. It was a pointless addition that served little purpose game wise other than aesthetic. All they tried to do was polish Gold and Silver and that was pretty much all they could come up with for aethetics other than updating graphics to fourth gen engine.

I didn't care it wasn't added Gen 5 since it was pretty useless, and really hope it doesn't return. If they want to make new features, at least make them more usable, like not having to button mash while in Pokemon Centers or cutting down the visual displays for Overworld HM use.
I don't see how people couldn't like it. If doesn't interfere with gameplay in any way... Even if it feels pointless or tacked on, that doesn't make it bad if. I find if logical to complain about some purely aesthetic addition that shouldn't have added much time to producing the game and doesn't interfere with gameplay or change the formula at all.

I loved the feature. I wish more than just HG/SS had it.
Old September 2nd, 2012 (01:40 PM).
thecritter
Beginning Trainer

I found it quite nice, really. c:
It was absolutely adorable and it felt as if the pokemon were more... Real, I suppose? (horrible word choice) The fact that you could communicate (kinda) was great, as well. I mean, the only time you usually get to see your pokemon outside of their pokeballs is in battle, and that feels somewhat forced. Maybe I'm just being too emphatic here, but whatever.

Yeah, I was really disappointed that it didn't come back in B&W too. I started playing once the DS games came out, so it was really new and amazing to me.
Old September 2nd, 2012 (03:32 PM).
Turbo_Dee

Nature: Naughty
I liked this feature, but what I would have liked even more was if I could follow my pokemon around. Can you imagine the awkwardness as Garchomp opens the Pokemon Centre door, with me in tow, before walking up to the counter to have a generic conversation with the nurse behind the counter. The novelty of being lifted over the counter and made to sit in one of the wee spaces for pokeballs would soon give way to humiliation. Occasionally, Garchomp will turn around to check on me and make sure I had not run off to scare passing children or chew on live electrical wires. He would ask me how I'm feeling in a voice usually reserved for babies or small, cute animals and I would hand over a pine cone or a stone I liked the look of from the side of the road. Garchomp would smile endearingly at me, before patting my head lovingly and continuing on our way. That sounds truly wonderful, a man can dream.
Old September 2nd, 2012 (06:49 PM).
Brendino
Oh good grief.

I personally enjoyed the feature of having a Pokemon follow you around. It would have been nice if it didn't have to be the first Pokemon in your party, because many times I wanted one Pokemon to follow me, but it wasn't the one I was training at the time.

I also think that there should be an option if you want to have a Pokemon follow you or not in future games. As evidenced by this thread, some people enjoyed the feature and others didn't, but if we were given the option if we wanted it or not, it would make everybody happy.

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old September 3rd, 2012 (04:16 AM).
chella182
Drowzee

Nature: Rash
Like most people, I loved the feature and really missed in in Black & White. I loved having my Lugia follow me :D even if it did go back inside its Pokéball in buildings haha.

Old September 3rd, 2012 (04:34 AM).
curiousnathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chella182 View Post
Like most people, I loved the feature and really missed in in Black & White. I loved having my Lugia follow me :D even if it did go back inside its Pokéball in buildings haha.
Ah yes, I remember the times I'd feel badass walking in the pokecenter or around Viridian City with my Ho-oh and Dialga haha.
Old September 3rd, 2012 (04:58 AM).
Hume
la tristesse durera

Nature: Docile
Of course! It was definitely a welcomed edition. It was slightly surreal having Magikarp and Goldeen follow you on land, but as with most Pokemon contradictions, I'm willing to look past it.

I really hope we see this feature again in future games, I think it would be a waste not to include it.
Old September 3rd, 2012 (05:38 AM).
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

I really disliked it because the first Pokemon followed you. Most of the time, the first Pokemon is the weak new addition, and well...I'd rather choose another one to follow me. That's the main reason I dislike it. Obviously everyone would choose their favorite Pokemon to follow them, and due to it being the first one, it kinda ruins that.

If they reintroduce this in the next Gen, I hope they at least allow you to choose it in the menu, so even your sixth can follow you. I just hope they don't overdo it and make all six follow you.

PM for Happy Hour Smeagles
Old September 3rd, 2012 (09:15 AM).
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaZaku View Post

If they reintroduce this in the next Gen, I hope they at least allow you to choose it in the menu, so even your sixth can follow you. I just hope they don't overdo it and make all six follow you.
lol, all six following u sounds funny but useless would be funny if they did that. albeit extremely inconvenient.
Old September 3rd, 2012 (10:22 AM).
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
i liked the follow me feature and i think they should've included it with Generation V but they still should put it as an option wether you can keep the pokemon in pokeball or let it follow you
Old September 4th, 2012 (03:07 PM).
CriticalKYUC
Beginning Trainer

I loved it. I think there should be more scale to the overworld models, and I think you should be able to pick or maybe have 7 Pokemon with you at once, but only 6 can battle.

I personally think Ledian should be Bug/Fighting and Farfetch'd should be Flying/Fighting.
Old September 4th, 2012 (05:11 PM).
curiousnathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaZaku View Post
I really disliked it because the first Pokemon followed you. Most of the time, the first Pokemon is the weak new addition, and well...I'd rather choose another one to follow me. That's the main reason I dislike it. Obviously everyone would choose their favorite Pokemon to follow them, and due to it being the first one, it kinda ruins that.

But in saying that, you do realise you were able to switch your party around. :P You could switch your favourite to first position, and your weakest to second for example.
Old September 5th, 2012 (05:40 AM).
Migit78
Pokemon Master

Nature: Calm
I like the feature, thought it was a good addition,
however by the responses here it sounds like
it should be brought back with 2 amendments
1. Have a turn off feature (like a lot of the animation has)
2. Allow you to pick which pokemon follows you

I don't know much about programming, but to me, that doesn't sound like it would be to hard

Leave a review if we've completed a trade - Here

Old September 7th, 2012 (02:48 AM).
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
For me,it brought nothing new or interesting to the table, and I wish I could have turned it off. I know that if I was a trainer IRL I wouldn't have my Pokemon follow behind me. Actually, IIRC I rode the bike more in SS than in any other Pokemon game to try to circumvent the system.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just a girl cosplaying as Mario with the god and creator of all Pokemon following her." - random Johto citizen

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes

Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP

Picture credit: Apple Cakes on deviantArt
Old September 7th, 2012 (07:49 AM).
Seivad
The Equalist

I quite enjoyed the revamp of Pokémon's Yellow specialty feature of having a Pikachu follow you around but instead it could of been any of 493 Generation IV Pokémon although it would have been nice to have the option of turning it off to avoid unrealistic moments.
Such as having a Groudon or Snorlax inside the eleveator of the Celadon Shopping Department.

Good evening, my fellow Trainers. This is your leader, Amon. As you've heard, the Elite Four has voted to make me public enemy number one, proving once again that the Gym Leaders of this region will stop at nothing to quash our revolution. But we cannot be stopped. Our numbers grow stronger by the day. You no longer have to live in fear.

The time has come for Gym Leaders to experience fear.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links