The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help

Notices

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:44 PM
wolf
on a DLoA

Competitive Team Questions
In this thread you may ask questions about competitive team building and make moveset requests. While incomplete teams may be posted here too, it is preferred that you finish your team using our Guides & Resources and post a "Rate My Team" thread.

— Do not ask questions concerning in-game or casual team building.
Please use the In-Game Team Questions for that. If you do not know which thread to post in, check out the CTH Guidelines, because they explain the difference between competitive and in-game or casual play. If your question could be related to either, you will likely get better answers by asking here instead.

— Do not ask questions that are not specifically related to team building.
Do not ask questions about the game mechanics like "How does this move work?" and "What are EVs?," as they would best fit in the B2W2 Quick Questions thread. Do not ask questions about battling (prediction, long-term strategy, etc.) either; you may make threads in BC's main forum for those type of questions.

— Do not post an entire team.
Please make a new thread instead. See the CTH Guidelines as they go more into depth about what makes a team complete or not.

Last edited by wolf; February 24th, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM
AngelArsenic
Beginning Trainer

Here's the deal. After 2 days of straight breeding I finally got a Feebas with a Modest Nature. I have already evolved her into Milotic.
I am going to be EV training my Milotic In Special Attack and Speed with the remaining EV's going to HP. What would be a good move set for my Milotic as a Special Sweeper?
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Arcoz
Unhatched Egg

Well, my Milotic was my besst Pokemon in Ruby.. I went with the usual sort of water type thing with Surf and Ice beam. Surf with it being a good move and STAB with a good Sp.Atk. and Ice Beam for power and good Sp.Atk. Those are the sort of obvious ones. Now, you can go for a Hypnosis - Recover moveset where you put the opponents Pokemon to sleep and recover you're health and damage them at the same time with no damage to you. Or you can use Toxic to steadily lower their health while yours gets higher. (Ice Beam and Surf are tm and hm and recover is by lvl up and i got my hypnosis from breeding with a Poliwag). Or you might want to try having just a hard special hitting moveset. Surf, Ice Beam, Hydro Pump and Rain Dance. Surf is STAB and is above average with rain dance it is amazing, ice beam just a good attack, Hydro Pump with rain dance is a brilliant special move to have on anything but obvious stuff like grass types.

So you can either have

-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hypnosis/Toxic
-Recover

or

-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Rain Dance

... Done
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:27 PM
AngelArsenic
Beginning Trainer

Thanks. My problem with Hydro pump it's not what anyone would call really accurate. Is there another way to get Hypnosis because it took forever to get this nature and I don't really want to go through another breeding frenzy again. Also I am doing this on Sapphire if that changes anything. One other question. What other move sets would work. Been thinking about possibly Calm Mind.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
I want to have a couple of dragons on my team but I cant seem to get it right. I know Water and Fire/Fight doesnt work. What elements do people suggest to go with?

I know this must be a quick question thing but I didnt see anything to the sort.

Eventually I want to battle in tourneys but I cant even battle thru the battle subway. I know it would be a joke and a waste of time if I tried with the team I have. and yes I am thinking of starting from Scratch again.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianD View Post
I want to have a couple of dragons on my team but I cant seem to get it right. I know Water and Fire/Fight doesnt work. What elements do people suggest to go with?

I know this must be a quick question thing but I didnt see anything to the sort.

Eventually I want to battle in tourneys but I cant even battle thru the battle subway. I know it would be a joke and a waste of time if I tried with the team I have. and yes I am thinking of starting from Scratch again.
Steel Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Scizor, partner up well with Dragon Pokemon; they resist the Dragon and Ice weaknesses the Dragons are weak to (except for Skarmory and Ferrothorn; in that case, they take neutral from Ice).

Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:50 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Steel Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Scizor, partner up well with Dragon Pokemon; they resist the Dragon and Ice weaknesses the Dragons are weak to (except for Skarmory and Ferrothorn; in that case, they take neutral from Ice).
I was considering Ferrothorn with the barbs in combo with Rocky helm and some Spikes
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
I was considering Ferrothorn with the barbs in combo with Rocky helm and some Spikes
You can also go for Foretress if you want this kind of strategy
Foretress is pretty nice wall.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:33 AM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
You can also go for Foretress if you want this kind of strategy
Foretress is pretty nice wall.

Not sure if I have one of course I gotta breed and stuff. Id have to seek. Im sure GTS has one some where
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Fairy
believe

@AdrianD : If you're looking for a competitive Forretress set, you can try this:

Forretress @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Relaxed Nature [+Defense ; -Speed]
252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Sp.Defense
0 Speed IVs
Sturdy
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball / Volt Switch / Earthquake

Or there's a Specially Defensive spread. All the specs are the same, except you'll want a Sassy Nature [+Sp.Defense; -Speed] and 252 HP / 4 Defense / 252 Sp.Defense.

As PlatinumDude said, Pokemon like Magnezone and Scizor are also good partners, so let us know if you need any information! Good luck and join lots of our tournaments when you're ready! n_n
pixel joint x friend code x dream address

Last edited by Fairy; September 4th, 2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: i typed the poor kids name wrong ;o; sorry!
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:57 AM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Then with that a Fire would go great with that as well. Straight fire type or combo type
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Bossk749
Unhatched Egg

I have a quick question. I can't change anything but the item, but on this Infernape:

Infernape @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-Stealth Rock
-U-Turn

I can't change anything about this Infernape, but he's my lead on my fighting mono-type team and was curious what you guys would think the best item would be for the set? On one hand, the Focus Sash works if I get out-sped and can't get up Stealth Rock, but on the other hand I can usually force a switch, set up Stealth Rock, and then use the extra damage from Life Orb to take down a couple of Pokemon.
Old September 4th, 2012, 03:21 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossk749 View Post
I have a quick question. I can't change anything but the item, but on this Infernape:

Infernape @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Naive
-Overheat
-Close Combat
-Stealth Rock
-U-Turn

I can't change anything about this Infernape, but he's my lead on my fighting mono-type team and was curious what you guys would think the best item would be for the set? On one hand, the Focus Sash works if I get out-sped and can't get up Stealth Rock, but on the other hand I can usually force a switch, set up Stealth Rock, and then use the extra damage from Life Orb to take down a couple of Pokemon.
FYI, leads are pretty much dead in the Gen V metagame because of Team Preview, so I wouldn't use Infernape as a SR setter, given its poor defenses; it's more of a wallbreaker/sweeper. But then again, if your team really needs it, Focus Sash is the best item to use just so you get Stealth Rock in without sacrificing Infernape needlessly.

Old September 4th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Fairy
believe

Quote:
Then with that a Fire would go great with that as well. Straight fire type or combo type
If you're looking for a teammate for Forretress, you're going to want something that can counter Forretress' weaknesses (like fire) so ideally, a water type can do that effectively. It just so happens that Jellicent makes a good teammate for Forretress.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Bold Nature [+Defense ; -Attack]
248 HP / 216 Defense / 44 Speed
Water Absorb / Cursed Body
- Scald / Surf
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Taunt

Since Forretress' main job is to lay entry hazards, Jellicent's spin-blocking and Special bulk has excellent synergy. Jellicent also deals with Heatran (one of Forretress' strongest counters) by forcing it out. Tyranitar also makes a good teammate for Forretress, able to absorb incoming special attacks, but that kinda dedicates you to a Sand team soo..

@Bossk749 : I second PlatinumDude, if you're going to sack SR on Infernape, go with Stone Edge or Mach Punch. Stone Edge will provide better coverage, hitting pokemon like Gyarados -- or Mach Punch can let Infernape deal with pokemon that outpace it like Choice Scarf Tyranitar.
pixel joint x friend code x dream address
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Fire Flyy
metaphysical poet

Nature: Sassy
go with my boy heatran, he absorbs the fire attacks that kill forretress, plus you have a sun counter, dragon counter, rapid spinner, and both damaging hazards in two pokemon
Old September 5th, 2012, 01:10 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Isnt heatran banned from play
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Isnt heatran banned from play
Heatran is OU, unless I'm mistaken and can be used in OU and Uber.
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Bossk749
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
FYI, leads are pretty much dead in the Gen V metagame because of Team Preview, so I wouldn't use Infernape as a SR setter, given its poor defenses; it's more of a wallbreaker/sweeper. But then again, if your team really needs it, Focus Sash is the best item to use just so you get Stealth Rock in without sacrificing Infernape needlessly.
Well all of my battles are Infared, I hate the online battles, and whenever I do we usually make an agreement not to look at eachother's team- it just takes out the fun, honestly; in regards to the focus sash, thanks, I'll use that.
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:59 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Flyy View Post
go with my boy heatran, he absorbs the fire attacks that kill forretress, plus you have a sun counter, dragon counter, rapid spinner, and both damaging hazards in two pokemon
kicker is I traded it away.

Is Venipede a good selection?

Last edited by AdrianD; September 5th, 2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
kicker is I traded it away.

Is Venipede a good selection?
Not really, no. You're playing in an OU environment and using the first evo of a Pokemon that isn't even OU doesn't really work out that well. :( Poison types don't really see much of a use in OU tbh, except for Venusaur and stuff, and even so, they aren't used for their poison type attacks, which Venipede would be if it was in that place.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Medlis
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via AIM to Medlis Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Medlis Send a message via Skype™ to Medlis
Hi there, I'm fairly new to the competitve battle scene. Actually, I'm a complete noob... I've never battled anyone outside of a friend back when Red and Blue were first released.

I'd like to build my first team around Darmanitan and Eelektross - my two favorite pokemon from Gen V.

The team so far;
Smeargle - ? - (Focus Sash) - Dragon Dance, Baton Pass, Spore and Stealth Rock (possibly spikes or Taunt)
Darmanitan - Adamant (Life Orb) - Flare Blitz, Rock Slide, U-Turn and Superpower.

I don't know what other pokemon I should be trying to include, or what role Eelektross should play.
I sort-of understand the tier list, but I'm not entirely sure where I want to be, or where I should start learning.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlis View Post
Hi there, I'm fairly new to the competitve battle scene. Actually, I'm a complete noob... I've never battled anyone outside of a friend back when Red and Blue were first released.

I'd like to build my first team around Darmanitan and Eelektross - my two favorite pokemon from Gen V.

The team so far;
Smeargle - ? - (Focus Sash) - Dragon Dance, Baton Pass, Spore and Stealth Rock (possibly spikes or Taunt)
Darmanitan - Adamant (Life Orb) - Flare Blitz, Rock Slide, U-Turn and Superpower.

I don't know what other pokemon I should be trying to include, or what role Eelektross should play.
I sort-of understand the tier list, but I'm not entirely sure where I want to be, or where I should start learning.
Well generally to get into tiers most of the time you should use Pokemon actually in the same tier because a lot of the time they just aren't suited to be used in that tier. While you can usually get away with a tier lower, it's better off to stick to the Pokemon in the same tier for the most part when you're new. The two Pokemon you like, Eelektross, and Darmanitan, are in separate tiers, and it's probably better off for you to start off with one tier or another rather than just combine them because teams with favourites across different tiers usually don't do as well as ones that have synergy in general from the same tiers. But with Darmanitan you'd be playing in a UU environment and the others may not be as viable in that tier. So yeah, personal suggestion is to start off with just one tier and go from there. Due to your interest in those two, you want to start off with a lower tier, yeah? Both (Eelektross - NU, Darmanitan - UU) can be good for learning, though NU is a bit more different to OU than UU is. I haven't personally played UU but I've heard it's similar to OU in the last generation, and if you want to learn something similar to the main tier most people play, then UU is probably closest to what you want, because some of those Pokemon are used in OU anyway. As for NU, I find it really awesome and fun and while I want to just say "go for that!" I think you're better off deciding for yourself. So... which of the two would you rather use? XD;
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Medlis
Unhatched Egg

Send a message via AIM to Medlis Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Medlis Send a message via Skype™ to Medlis
From what I've heard, NU does seem more fun. But I think I'd like to try UU out, test the waters I guess.

I took a look over at the Smogon tier list, (I'm not sure how accurate it is) and some of the pokemon I'm intrested in on their B/W tier list for UU are;
Blastiose, Stoutland, Zoroark, Mismagius, Slowbro, Sableye, Nidoking and Houndoom.

Last edited by Medlis; September 5th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:16 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlis View Post
From what I've heard, NU does seem more fun. But I think I'd like to try UU out, test the waters I guess.

I took a look over at the Smogon tier list, (I'm not sure how accurate it is) and some of the pokemon I'm intrested in on their B/W tier list for UU are;
Blastiose, Stoutland, Zoroark, Mismagius, Slowbro, Sableye, Nidoking and Houndoom.
People in Smogon make the tiers based on their usage in OU. Some UU Pokemon are viable in OU, however, like Zoroark and Slowbro; other Pokemon, like Blastoise, aren't the case.

Just try to put sets together for those Pokemon and we'll see what else we can do.

Old September 5th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Medlis
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
People in Smogon make the tiers based on their usage in OU. Some UU Pokemon are viable in OU, however, like Zoroark and Slowbro; other Pokemon, like Blastoise, aren't the case.

Just try to put sets together for those Pokemon and we'll see what else we can do.
Darmanitan - Adamant - Life Orb - Flare Blitz, Rockslide, U-turn, Superpower
Smeargle - Jolly - Focus Sash - Spore, Dragon Dance, Baton Pass, Stealth Rock
Roserade - Calm - Black Sludge - Giga Drain, Synthesis, Spikes, Sludge Bomb
Flygon - Jolly - Choice Band - U-turn, Outrage, Dragon Tail, Earthquake (maybe Fire punch instead of U-turn or Dragon Tail)
Zoroark - Timid - Leftovers - Substitute, Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower

Is what I've managed to put together so far. I decided I wanted to take advantage of the entry hazard Smeargle was bringing to the table though that might be a bit of a gamble as he is meant to Dragon Dance and Baton pass to Darmanitan. So I included Roserade so I can add upon Stealth rock if it gets set up and Flygon for his access to Dragon Tail.

I wasn't sure what pokemon to include for Zoroark's Illusion, or if I should switch Zoroark out with another pokemon.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links